Reviews of Cuba by Czech & Speake

Find out more about Cuba by Czech & Speake in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

November 2008:
    Juniper berries, bay leaf, and booze: that’s bay rhum, and that’s Czech and Speake’s Cuba. Some tobacco, leather, and a touch of smoke round out the structure until a somewhat abrasive woody drydown sets in. I like Cuba’s starting point better than its destination, so when I’m in the mood for booze and tobacco I’ll still turn to the richer, more complex Havana.

August 2009:
    The more time I spend with Cuba, the more I like it. The drydown is indeed angular, but warm weather also brings out a stupendous fecal-animalic component (civet and castoreum I think,) that makes it paradoxically frightening and irresistible. Ideal for people who, like me, occasionally enjoy rolling in their own filth!

11th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 12 June, 2014)

Colin Maillard's avatar

A masculine majesty, austere, warm like a Cuban evening, with humid tobacco leaves, rhum, benzoin, amber, a fresh touch of zesty citrus and a few culinary herbs. A wet, shady floral heart emerges soon, notes of dry flowers left under the rain, bringing a slight camphor note as in classic masculine chypres. On the base, a stout, refined and cozy woody concoction. As minutes pass it emerges a beautiful rose note slightly fruity too, sensual and juicy, almost carnal, really aromatic and perfectly blended with the overall austere, elegant mood given by tobacco and herbal notes. Dry, almost gloomy, distinguished and exotic, powerful but noble, with a gentle side of more delicate and airy notes. Rose-ambery-woody-smoky drydown, silky and discreet, quite long-lasting and slightly balsamic too. A great, versatile gentlemanly scent.

24 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 27 June, 2014)

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Turpentine, a ripe cigar, saddle leather and wild scrub on farout mesa – it’s hard not to reach for clichés of rugged cowpoke virility. (Personally, give me the silk-shirted damask rose variety any day – but that’s just taste.) The impression is confirmed by a musky crotch odour that develops over time, but somehow maddeningly sexy rather than outright rank. Maybe it’s the pristine frankincense that rings clear as a struck chime right through the evolution of this fragrance. One for those daring days...

02 August, 2012

silentrich's avatar

This is one of those fragrances that begs the question of why? Very putrid opening that does have some fecal properties. This fragrance isn't even worth trying to describe because it should never be worn. Hands down one of the worst.

28 June, 2012

Moneysuckle's avatar

I love this scent and wear it often. (I wear Havana more often). Both start off strong (in their own way) and finish with a bay rhum base.

Cuba serves as Havana's country cousin. Whereas Havana is walking into a pipe shop in the city, Cuba hails from the tobacco farm. Anyone who has been on a tobacco farm will recognize Cuba's fecal top note. It doesn't last long, and I feel sorry for those who can't get past it.

Because for me it sets the stage. It takes me to the Cuban (or in my case North Carolina) countryside before basking me in the incredible bay rhum finish.

One of my favorites.

10th June, 2012

indianwells's avatar

Wales Wales

Just received a Czech & Speake travel set and was eager to try the 4 fragrances. Unfortunately I am at work and the first one I applied was Cuba. Even more unfortunate was being informed by my two female employees that I smelt of shit. Not any old shit mind, dog shit! I agreed with them, I also get the bad breath vibe as well. How anyone would want to smell of this is beyond me. I didn't wait for the drydown, I couldn't, I may have been sick, or caused others to be. OK, so I don't understand this scent and don't "appreciate" the subtle nuances, but then, I don't want to if it means I smell like something that fell out of an animals bottom. Truly disgusting stuff!!!

17 February, 2012

alfarom's avatar

Minty-bay rum. Cuba opens with a blast of aromatic and refreshing notes of mint, lime and bay-rum. The overall acidic and sort of balsamic effect brings to mind of Piper Nigrum and other Tiger Balm-inspired composition such as Esprit Du Tigre but where these two stay pretty linear in reproducing this effect, Cuba is joined in the middle phase by an animalic musky/rose accord that winks at classic perfumery. Simply amazing and original.

The drydown is more conventonally classic with the appearance of a woody-tobacco combo that drives the fragrance towards the barbershop type of stuff.

Nice concept - Well executed.

06 January, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

A sharp blast of limes and bergamot in the opening. Pretty intense for a few minutes, but slowly fades and rum with a hint of mint become apparent. This is actually my least favorite part of this fragrance as I love the opening and the dry down. The tobacco comes through after the rum/mint middle and is fantastic, but on me it doesn’t last long. I’ve given this one several wearings and every time come to the same conclusion about the longevity. If the middle contained no mint to my nose and the dry down lasted longer and was stronger, this would be one of my favorites. As is, I can’t give this one high notes because of this.

13 September, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Compelling and exotic in a real sense. Dirty, sweaty, animalic, manifestly boozy. Each time I smell this juice I feel as having dinner white clothed (despite the general olfactory darkness) in the Gran Caribe Hotel Habana, the aura I ideally exude is bold, daring and i'm as a globe-trotter brasilian business man full of energy and optimism. Cuba starts with a citrusy aromatic mentholated blast really important, fresh, dark and medicinal which is in a while followed by a mould of spicy tobacco (tonka) and rum able to reproduce a sort of carribean enjoyable atmosphere full of chaotic dances, beautiful women, cruising ships, orchestras, seaside resorts and beaches. I detect immediately the infamous fecal note (durable in a powerful way just for a short while before the spicy booziness succeedes) which is probably aroused by the animalic notes (the typical fecal civet mould I suppose. Black Musk, castoreum too?) interaction with fresh/aromatic elements plus the spices/tobacco accord. The exoticism is created by the blend of the exotic-liquorous tobacco warmth (detectable throughout the trip) and rum with the herbal-medicinal greeness by aromatic mint, bay, cedarwood and vetiver. Some mild floral notes (roses) in the middle link themselves perfectly with the herbal-medicinal whiff, bringing with their addition of soapy smell a sort of laundry-barbershop touch. A leathery soothing note is settled in the dry down in order to link in a captivating way the animalic warmth with the previous herbal-smokey/spicy freshness while a cool frankincense smoothens furtherly the dry spicy/liquorous kind of general virility. I detect the association with a sort of  Antaeus (bay, mint, leather, animal notes, woodsy notes, a touch of incense etc) with bad breath (the final animalins of juice-civet-castoreum?). The dry down, after many hours, is really virile, spicy, carnal (but in an elegant and balanced way) and vaguely (far in the wake) boozy/leathery/exotic. Original, persistent and bold. One of my ethernal favorite. I deeply love this concoction and i'm planning to buy a bottle in order to wear the juice for special occasions of feasts, hot summer nights, cruisings, latin excursions and parties on the swimming pool's side.

03 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2014)

bokaba's avatar

Of the Cuba type scents available Czech and Speake's (especially the vintage) is by far the best in comparison to the likes of Acqua di Cuba and others. Cuba must be understood as more of a bay rum superimposed on top of a leathery cedar and tobacco base. I will not say that there are no animalic elements to Cuba, but I argue they aren't as profound as many have claimed. The cedar adds a certain type of graphite pencil note (covetous in wine I hear) that combined with civet smells somewhat of bad breath--but what great ones don't--Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc. I find the tobacco note quite profound and reminiscent of an unlit cigar though perhaps La Via del Profumo's Tabac does it better.

25 June, 2011

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

The opening 30 seconds is bending down to clean up after a dog. That's no problem. It's the mint, geranium, juniper berries, and rum in combination with these dirty animalics that I find nauseating. Florals and squalor work just fine (Jicky flirts with, but never succumbs to, the gourmand with its vanilla); whereas anything foody combined with shit smells like a grotesque before-and-after gag... and gag I do. Cuba's emerging vetiver note helps, but is too little too late. When people refer to fragrances as smelling like bad breath, it's usually nothing more than a cheap swipe. But Cuba unfortunately does have a whiff of halitosis – booze, cigars and dental neglect – that is fascinating and nasty. I wish this scent had an On/Off switch.

17 June, 2011

shamu1's avatar

Cuba is a daring fragrance, and that's what I like most about it. It's spicy and aromatic, with a prominent fecal smell underneath it all, and this is what separates Cuba from your average spicy scent.

I'd describe Cuba as the smell of earth, dry leaves, cloves and dog shit. Or maybe Antaeus with bad breath. My description might sound unappealing, but trust me, it smells a lot better than it sounds. The poopy smell adds a lot of character to this fragrance, which otherwise would have been sort of ho-hum without it.

My only criticism with Cuba is that I wish it were a bit grittier and more aggressive. A fragrance with such a strong fecal undertone needs heavy hitting smells to back it up, and I wish the tobacco, cedar and clove were a bit more prominent, which would have balanced the scent out better. Patchouli would have been a perfect addition to this fragrance and would have made it even more powerful.

As it is, Cuba is bold and unique, and should be sampled by anyone who likes wearing fragrances to make a statement.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

13 May, 2011

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

A real shame it just doesn't shake that fecal note on me after the top notes are supposed to die down. That fecal stuff just rubs me the wrong way. Sucks because underneath are nice spicy accords. Its unfortunate the fecals are stronger than the Spicy notes

22 January, 2011

Cuba opens with a strong citrus / spicy / tobacco accord that makes itself known without equivocation. Quite unusual, it is dense for a citrus accord; it contains a heavy load of passion and romance. Actually, what I really get the first three minutes is a strong fecal note, which then turns into the excellent spice and tobacco accord. After several minutes of the opening, the fragrance takes an astounding turn: It becomes a substantial and compelling green / woody / floral / mild spice accord the like of which I’ve not experienced before: It is totally captivating but I really have a difficult time identifying it; It seems as if it could be patchouli based—such as the patchouli in Borneo 1834, but even Borneo couldn’t match this accord. Since there is no patchouli listed in the pyramid, probably the opoponax / incense combination that is responsible for that extraordinary luxuriousness. I have always been a fan of opoponax, but I have never before experienced it so rich and lusty as this. I can readily accept that the ginger and the geranium are major players in that accord, too, and the combination, with a mint, rose, bay, tobacco, clove (very little), and greens tossed in, is wonderfully fulfilling, satisfying and… compelling. No kidding, this is one of the most accomplished accords I’ve ever encountered—completely addictive. I just have to own this one!

Originally submitted 24 May 2007, Taiwan

07 December, 2010

Ahree's avatar

Egad. The earthiest and most indolent, fecal-redolent opening I've yet experienced in a frragrance. It does settle down into a nice tobacco and high end boozy accord, but honestly, I can't get past the debut with a straight face.

14 October, 2010

HammerFist's avatar

Feces, feces, and more feces. There's some cigar, some balm and then comes some more feces.

I cannot believe this fragrance has so many positive reviews. It *could* be a skin thing, so PLEASE do yourself a favour and do not buy this before sampling it many times.

Did I mention? There's very strong feces note in this fragrance.

02 August, 2010

robyogi's avatar

Fantastic tobacco fragrance. One of the only "tobacco" fragrances I can think of with a tobacco note that smells like actual, cured, fermented, aging tobacco...sort of the smell you get when you open a desktop humidor that's been closed for a while: barnyard, almost fecal, pungent, potent. This describes only the tobacco portion of the fragrance, which is apparent from the start. This barnyard quality does fade a bit as it dries down. There is, however, so much more going on here. The top notes smell of rum, citrus, and spice. The heart notes of tobacco and rose. The base to my nose, is defined by the tobacco and incense.

Comparisons to Havana are apt. That said, Havana is busier, noisier, and not as harmonious, in my opinion. Havana is sharper and higher pitched, while Cuba is rounder and mellower (though not "mellow"). Havana is a cacophony of sounds like you might hear on a busy city street, while Cuba is a latin-jazz band playing a hot, sweaty nightclub. Both are great, but I prefer Cuba for its realistic tobacco note and sophisticated blending of booze, citrus, spice, and incense. And, as Mario says, this also reminds of Idole in its booziness and spiciness, but Idole to my nose lacks the depth and earthy-funky quality that the tobacco note brings to Cuba.

13 July, 2010

MOONB's avatar

This is just a dandified bay rum, spruced up with the mint in the top and the cedar wood in the middle. The cedar is pretty dominant to me, and kinda reminds me of a hamster cage. I don't get any vetiver, but maybe some frankincense. There's also a very light, blink-and-you-miss-it tobacco accord flitting around in the base, which seems to be an amalgamation of the persistent mint from the top co-mingling with the cedar, bay, cloves, and a really poor rendition of rum. As for there being a "fecal" note: no, there is no fecal note in Cuba. This hamster cage is clean.

04 June, 2010

Chino's avatar

Thank goodness for fragrance samples!! My senses get a horrible scent from this fragrance. Some here describe it as "fecal" & they might be correct. I don't like it one bit; not the beginning, middle or end. I can't imagine someone my age wearing this. That being said, maybe this frag is marketed towards mature consumers since it's conceived that olfactory perception evolves with age. Thumbs way DOWN!!!

25 April, 2010

pigasus27's avatar

Animalic. I smelled like OSU's Benny.

20th April, 2010

's avatar

True story:
    Just a couple of weeks ago, I was in line at a Mexican grocery store behind an incredibly well-groomed, pomaded, elegant Mexican man wearing crisp jeans and a pressed, white linen shirt. He was forty-ish, very robust, supremely dignified... and he smelled so divine! I cannot emphasize enough what a profound impression experiencing the "right" fragrance, on the perfect "subject" made on me!
    I did not recognize the specific cologne he wore, only that it was an old-style, rummy, soapy, tobacco-y affair, with loads of warmth and depth, and that it was not the "sort of thing" I had smelled on anyone in a long while. It occurred to me, of course, to ask him what he wore, but alas, I was too shy.

I mused that it might have been a totally south-of-the-"border" offering, something that still used natural oils, from some cottage, tradition-driven 'house', which hadn't succumbed to modern trends, as it somehow smelled so undeniably "Latin", that I doubted many American men would appreciate it.

Well, today I was blessed with the experience of discovering a scent that I had held in my mind without a name or possible source, as I smelled 'Cuba' for the first time. It is categorically the *same* smell, which that stunning man wore, though I doubt he was wearing Czech & Speake. Probably though, C&S modeled this scent after some actual offering, sold exclusively in Latin America.

It's funny, too, some reviews (and my imagination) led me to assume this was a modern 'novelty' scent, made to smell like cigars and 'mojitos', all "limey", woody, sweet and silly. But no! In fact, it's a perfectly credible, "real-life" scent, really suited for a dashing, mature, dark-haired man.

I am thinking of Anthony Quinn, wearing white linen, standing powerfully on a veranda, playing an illustrious, charismatic, possibly-crooked, cigar magnate.

Well worth the wait.

08 February, 2010

WhosYerBob's avatar

I've been very keen to try both Havana and Cuba since reading about them here. Fortunately I had samples of both arrive recently and have been trying them out.

I tried Cuba and found it to be the most repugnant scent I've ever encountered. I liked the first 30 seconds or so, then got a long lasting blast of swine fecal note that just wouldn't die down for over an hour and a half. It's now over 3-1/2 hours since I put it on and that nasty smell has finally given way to a really nice tobacco-leather scent. But I won't be wearing Cuba again due to the awful fecal middle note that occurred for me.

10th January, 2010

Theasylph's avatar

This is a remarkable scent in that it immediately brought me an image of a sweaty, dirty old man. He'd be smoking cigars and reading newspapers with the radio on full blast. He'd be that kind of eccentric old man. This even smells like old mans breathe. It captures that metallic dried blood and tobacco smoke scent that ripens on old gums. This is my least favorite smell of all time but I am truly in awe and amazed that it could be replicated. It's revolting yet humorous. How did they get eau de old guy in a bottle? You gotta wonder.

I've got to say. Why buy this? Just get sweaty, light up a phatty and don't brush your teeth for a couple days... and you'll smell like Cuba in no time.

02 January, 2010

GTX777's avatar

I have never been to Cuba. But if the country smells like a pile of dog crap with mint and cigars sprinkled over top, then this C & S fragrance is a perfect representation.

Plain awful. My nose picks up a rank fecal note. Seriously the worst fragrance I have ever experienced.

15 December, 2009

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

I would not imagine that this "perfume" may have positive reviews!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry every body ....its the worst of the worst smells i have ever smelled ...... a very disgusting smell .... 100 thumbs down

14 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2010)

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Oh boy Oh boy, You wont believe how I wanted to love it, but I failed after 10 attempts, one piece in this puzzle does not fit for me its peppermint ! I feel wierd wearing this because it simply reminds me ... weeeeell known polish medicine called AMOL. its available in Poland since ages, almost everyone knows that smell, people look around with strange eyes as if they want ask me "did You bath in Amol?", but when I pass the opening, Im rewarded by delicious middle notes and drydown. Neutral for opening, thumbs up for the other part but in summary still neutral. Maybe one day I'll buy 15ml decant for now I pass

13 September, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Czech & Speake Cuba

Growing up in S. Florida in the 60's I watched the Cubans who fled Castro turn Little Havana into a thriving neighborhood. I used to ride my bike down there and feel like I had entered a new country. One of my favorite ways to spend time was playing dominos with some of the older men of the community. They taught me the game, helped me sharpen my Spanish speaking skills, and told me stories of the Cuba that was. Because I have such a strong mental picture of what Cuba is like and the smells I associate with Little Havana I was very interested in a scent called Cuba. This 2002 creation by John Stephen for Czech & Speake lives up to its name and does a great job evoking the smells of the islands. The top is the mojito accord that Guerlain Homme promised, but Mr. Stepehn achieves, in Cuba. A mix of lime, rum and mint starts Cuba off and while this does come off as a mojito my long standing bugaboo with mint still stands as it comes off toothpaste like but thankfully not dominant as it is the rum and lime that carry the top. Next is the spicy latin heart of Cuba as clove and bay come in with some heat and bring this to life along with the lightest of rose. No trip to Cuba would be complete without cigars and the base of Cuba is tobacco laden goodness. Along with the tobacco are solid components of vetiver to contrast the sweetness of the tobacco and cedar to draw some clean borders around all of it. According to the note list there is some incense here but I have never gotten that in my experience with this scent. Cuba is a long-lasting scent on me with moderate sillage. Cuba does a great job reminding me of the stories the abuelos told me while playing dominos. It smells what I imagine a night at the Hotel National in Havana smelled like back in the 50's.

03 August, 2009

Jack Hunter's avatar

Imagine if you like that you are rolling cigars in Cuba and it is a hot day. You a sucking on a strong mint and have been drinking rum with a lot of lime.

You have been sweating a lot which has dried on your body and has mixed in with all of the tobacco that you have been rolling.

This is what I get when I sprayed Cuba when I received my bottle. Like everyone says on first application you get a strong opening of mint and lime. Then you get a dirty note like you have just pulled a geranium plant up from the earth. Then a strong sweet rum animal musky tobacco note takes hold as time goes by.

This is a very interesting scent as its like a riot of notes on your skin constantly shifting and changing. Its like nothing else I have tried before.

I like it because of the tobacco accord and that there is lot going on scent wise. You cannot accuse it of been boring but this one is not for the mainstream masses. More for the connoisseur who can appreciate unique scents.

30th July, 2009

finsfan's avatar

Buzzlepuff and Odysseum reviews, if I can combine them, are what I would say. I have worn Cuba twice. Once I had a bottle and today, wearing a sample. First time, I thought it a scrubber. Today, I am rocking it!!! The notes sorta seem discordant, citrus and tobacco, rum and greenleafy. You know how you see a wreck on the highway, up the road, traffic slowing down and you just wanna get on to your destination, but you get closer and you know you are gonna look? Cuba. But, this is a macho scent for sure. I can see why some ladies are drawn to it. Today is a summer day, about 84 now, and this scent is nice, plays nice too. Very well done and this one is gonna have longevity and nice projection.

01st July, 2009

andyman32's avatar

This one sure is curious. I'm having a hard time giving it a rating. I'll tell you some certainties: it is weird. It is very natural and high quality. The sillage is excellent and the longevity is medium-long. It has all the hallmarks of a quality fragrance. But what is IT? Is it a fragrance, is it a trick, is it a Segway?

"It" is just... odd. At first sniff I though I smelled sage. YSL Pour Homme without the citrus note - which is better than YSL, to be certain. (Read my review of YSL... try though I may to like it, it smells like urinal cakes.) But how could I characterize this other than... pungent? It's an herbal fragrance all the way from top to bottom. I could pick up a minty effervescence in the top note, but not citrus, no lime or bergamot. It's a down & dirty, earthy, herbal, medicinal fragrance. It is in no way "fresh" and the pyramid I read before I bought it certainly misled me to that kind of conclusion. It is a musky, pungent fragrance. My wife HATES it and I almost think I would not wear this one in public because it could be easily mistaken for a light application of perfume over a man who hasn't showered in a few days...

Edit:
    I have worn it a few times more.It's listed as unisex and I'll say, any woman who smells like this I would expect to have one false eye and at least one peg leg, and a story about her life at sea. If she doesn't have these traits, I would wonder why not. But a few morespraysmakes me enjoy this all themore. I would not expose my coworkerst to this but it IS nice, impressive, some combination of bergamot, mint, and a very gamy tobacco. Like before, my wife hates it, and I wouldn't wear this to any party where I respect the attendees, but it is still this interesting and enjoyable private fragrance...

But it also tells a story, and that's what I find interesting about it. It's thematic. I can smell this and think of being in a club in Havana, smoking cigars on a hot night. Ocean air makes everything damp, the cigars, pungent. Men sitting in open shirts drinking rum and enjoying life. That's the weird thing about it. I could not wear this to work, nor even to lunch with my family... but I still think I like it. It's in your face, visceral, and it actually does make you dream a little, think of other places & times.

You have to work to understand & appreciate it, so it's not something you should buy if you're looking for pleasant, agreeable fragrances. My positive is based on the fact that this base note IS captivating - strong, natural, challenging, interesting, and masculine. I wouldn't say you should own it, or try it - I'd say, you should experience it. Take that for what it's worth!

30th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2009)