Reviews of Baldessarini by Baldessarini

Find out more about Baldessarini by Baldessarini in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Baldessarini’s top notes are a conventional, but very well executed blend of citrus and aromatics, but the heart is something more unusual. It is essentially a two part structure: a sweet, yet brisk spiced fruit accord set against a very dry, dusty cedar. The spiced fruit and cedar may derive from Féminité du Bois and Donna Karan’s Chaos, but in those scents the two elements are blended into a seamless accord, whereas in Baldessarini they do not so much blend as stand side by side, drawing the nose back and forth between them. Though it employs different ingredients, this is the same trick played by Bernard Chant in his Aramis (animalic leather vs. white flowers) and Aramis 900 (green floral vs. amber/patchouli), and it succeeds here as well, generating an olfactory tension that maintains interest until the drydown. As for the tobacco listed in the pyramid, I detect it to some degree on paper, but on my skin it seems to merge into the spiced fruit accord.

The drydown is where I enjoy Baldessarini the least. While the spiced fruit portion of the scent endures quite well, it does fade long before the cedar, which on its own smells rather colorless and thin. Anticlimactic in its development, but a very good scent nonetheless.

09 June, 2014

Jon_Remy's avatar

I absolutely LOVE Baldessarini! I remember smelling it the next day on my shirt in the laundry and thinking, WOW, this really IS a good fragrance! Although many here state it has a strong tobacco note, I would agree; however, I think per Hugo Boss' description, it is actually the single-note living patchouli flower that is predominant. I find this fragrance to be well suited for formal occasions, or a scent to wear when traveling. It is very cosmopolitan in nature, and smells so much more refined and classic than many fragrances out there today. The EdC has good lasting power, but I prefer the EdC Concentree. I like fragrances that stay with you, and ones that you can depend on. So many these days last for about 10 minutes and then are gone. I give Baldessarini a big Thumbs Up because it is so unique and classy.

07 April, 2013

rogalal's avatar

Despite the notes list, this is basically just the smell of Hawaiian Punch, a sweet red "froot" smell. There's some mint and herbs hiding behind it, but not enough to give it any real depth. It's halfway between Joop and Paris Hilton, but quite weak. Essentially a very cheap-smelling girly fruity floral marketed as a higher-end men's scent.

02 March, 2013

felony88's avatar

this is the only tobacco smelling frag.its very good,sophisicated for evenings and events.the best.

30th July, 2011

chet31's avatar

I like the simplicity of the fragrance, but not the originality. I get the citrus and mint/pine, but no tobacco. The latter is OK, as I generally do not like what perfumers consider "tobacco" scent. I have worn this 3-4 times, including yesterday. I was going to apply some again today to help me write this review. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn't really want to. Smells fine, but does not excite.

24 June, 2011

madwit17's avatar

I get a great blend of citrus and incense at first, with elements of cedar (resin), a fresh green mint, and a teensy bit of creaminess, something like synthetic banana. Fades quite true to this original impression except the fruitiness (which is really weak on me) disappears, and the whole ride finally stalls at a pleasant faint cedar. I don't really pick up any tobacco, though perhaps I would call it a sweet cedar and that subtle sweetness is the influence of the tobacco.
    Think it smells great, and like the kind of masculine that works wonderfully as a unisex fragrance, particularly in the summer? Who cares. Borrowed from a friend and now I want it.

21st June, 2011

manicboy's avatar

By rights, I should hate this. It's made by Hugo Boss, it's fruity and it's very synthetic. Once in a coon's age, the stars align and a room full of monkeys manage to type out War & Peace. Balde is just that. A bold attempt to recreate the traditional EdC formula and boy did they succeed. Balde smells nothing like your father's EdC. Well, if your father was a martian it might. Yes, Balde smells alien. I smell fruit but I can't identify what type of fruit it is. Mutant banana meets bergamot? Don't know but these opening notes will lift you up like a forklift. Grows sweeter and, dare I say, woodier. And yet I'm hard-pressed to identify the sweetness (not vanilla, amber or tonka) and I certainly can't fathom what type of wood is in here. No doubt, it's a synthetic wonderland of beautiful accords that anyone will enjoy. Obscure and hard-to-find but don't let that curtail you from getting this. Father's day is everyday when Balde is in the air.

18 June, 2011

Oproust's avatar

Baldessarini is a woody oriental that is a wonderful fruity, tobacco fragrance. I initially dismmised this one because the tobacco note overwhelmed me the first time I gave it a test run. My nose has clearly changed since then and now I can't get enough of this relatively unknown (or ignored) fragrance. When I first tried Baldessarini, I completely missed the wonderful fruity top notes. I'm not sure how I missed them, but I did. Now, I not only experience the tangerine and bitter orange, but mint and fir are very noticeable right out of the bottle. This fragrance has a very appealing opening. The fruit, mint and fir blend so well. The mint becomes more prominent in the mid note phase of Baldessarini, although the fruity note remains a major player well into the progression. The patchouli emerges and provides an effective bridge into the woody-tobacco drydown. The tobacco note emerges slowly and smoothly and is the perfect compliment to the fruity nature of the top and mid notes. I don't find the tobacco base to be overpowering. The woody notes are noticeable, lending a slightly dry texture, but the tobacco note takes center stage.

Baldessarini (edc) lasts approximately 6 hours on my skin. I just ordered the concentree version and I'm really looking forward to comparing the longevity of the two versions. However, I'm also very interested in the basic nature of the concentree version in relation to the edc. Hopefully, no Eau Sauvage Extreme train wreck type issues here.

I find Baldessarini to be a fine formal fragrance, but I wear it for other occassions as well. I don't wear this one to the office. Baldessarini. Try it, enjoy it.

14 May, 2011

MJW77's avatar

I really like this one. The bitter orange and mint do make a very sweet opening, but there's also a kind of bracing cleanliness to it. The scent remains pretty sweet throughout but becomes more subdued as the tobacco note announces itself. I think it's a versatile fragrance that can be worn casually or formally and in most seasons. Not bad longevity for a cologne too. Good stuff!

16 February, 2011

jtd's avatar

I find Baldessarini linear. Disliking a linear fragrance is somehow worse than disliking a scent with a traditional top, middle and base. Whereas the three-tiered fragrance might surprise you and win you over, for a linear scent, the first sniff becomes the lasting impression. A linear fragrance must have notes that can connect at various points to keep your interest. It allows for reconsideration from different perspectives and in different lights. Here is where a good linear fragrance can hold its own against a known classic.

In Baldessarini, I found the saccharine sweet note unpleasant, the nose equivalent of a high-pitched whistle. The cedar-like tobacco note has no connection to this sweet note, and so the two sit uneasily side by side for the duration of their mutually linear paths. Another difficulty with the tobacco note: a botanically derived material evolves over time. When it doesn’t, a ‘reference’ note must be used carefully. If it simulates tobacco, but is not tobacco, and the other components to the fragrance don’t enhance it, the nose may recoil, as mine did.

18 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 May, 2012)

Shifty Bat's avatar

Here's a good example of what comes to mind when I read another reviewer use the term, 'plasticky.' The mint and orange opening, which has been done to death, teams up with -something- else (fir?) in the mix to make an unnaturally fruity/fake accord which I suppose was intended to come across as metallic in a manly way, but I guess I lack the swarthy countenance or the sheer manliness to make this present itself appropriately. It just smells awkward and unnatural to me. After a good half hour or so, however, this sensation begins to diminish and the whole becomes more woody, and I can attest the drydown, which I find the most worthwhile part of the whole, lasts until the next morning. I did not expect that. Well, It's got ups and downs, so I suppose that makes it at the very least interesting.

17 November, 2010

Grottola's avatar

Slightly sweet, coniferous citrus-tobacco scent. This has actually been a favorite of mine for a long time. Just don't over-do it - no more than 4 sprays. Very good for formal occasions, and works best in summer in fall, at least for me. It smells really formal; however you can wear this out on the town. As I said though, don't over-do it, as that can lead to you smelling like a cheesy 80's club-hopper. Has a sort of creamy quality to it. Nice mint in there compliments the tobacco and fir notes, making it a little more refreshing. Can be found at discount stores like TJ Maxx for $25 bucks or less, nowadays.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was an Eau de Cologne. Well, it has great longevity for an Eau de Cologne! I get up to 7 or 8 hours!

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2010)

Redbeard's avatar

Major letdown. Kind of strange, almost banana-like fruit opening, that maintains a pretty high level of sweetness as it goes. I know a lot of people like this, but for me it turns straight to candy within 10-15 minutes...Starburst of some sort, I think strawberry. I would really like to taste the imaginary candy that this smells like, but I don't need to smell like it myself. The metallic aspect also reminds me of something with aspartame or sucralose, which I hate. And as a shirt-dabber, I can tell you that this stuff stains bright yellow and it never comes out...something that normally happens with much more concentrated brews.

25 July, 2010

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

I love it , its one of my favorite summer cologne , Spicy, Fresh and sweet /spicy to some extent , very well blended tobacco with sweetness . A mature and complete fragrance.

24 May, 2010

Kaern's avatar

This is the best masculine by Boss by a country mile -- how surprising it was named after the actual boss. Boss's clothing range completely mirrors it's fragrances, i.e. badly made and totally reactive -- nothing is original. As this is for the 'governor;' I suppose some decent amount of money was offered to the perfumers for a change. It moves through it's citrusy, woody to fruity phases beautifully. Even though it is rather staid, I like it a lot. The only Boss fragrance that is worth purchasing.

04 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2010)

enderwig's avatar

I absolutely love this fragrance! In my mind, this is the perfect scent for a man, not so much for the younger set, it exudes masculinity. The basenote is where this fragrance really shines, its a dusty tobacco smell with just a hint of pine to it. For me, longevity is great, it lasts all day, and then through an evening shower and I still pick up hints of it at bedtime, even after the shower. Its a stronger fragrance as well, for me, 2 sprays is enough. I can't say enough good things about this fragrance, especially the fact that I picked it up blind from amazon for $30 for 2.5 ounce bottle!

13 February, 2010

cowboykenny27's avatar

Well I love this fragrance ! very masculine and I can really smell the bitter orange coming through this one ! unfortunately the scent doesnt last , but a very good scent nonetheless. I use the shower gel and the deo body spray to help 'layer' the scent and it works ! i get a few extra hours from it!

love it!

09 October, 2009

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

A nice male perfume that is aimed for more adult audience. Not so sweet as the Ambre, not so peppery as the Del Mar.
    I would say that is a citrucy perfume and although not an eau de toilette, it lasts!
    I would say that Baldessarini three perfumes are covering all the tastes and are better that the Hugo Boss perfumes.

08 July, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

This is a rather unsatisfactory product that introduced itself to me with a liquid Haribo opening. The last time I was assailled by such a dense sucrose salvo was when I tested Paco Rabanne One Million, and if anything this was even more unwieldy. The citrus elements in the opening seem to be completely overpowered, and for the first hour this feels clumsy and lumpen. The only wearable phase occurs some two hours in, when the rather thuggish elements have receded, and a far more entertaining blend of ingredients are permitted to shine through. A dry, spiced tobacco accord has its brief moment in the sun, then evaporates all too quickly leaving one disappointed on almost every level.

06 June, 2009

distortech's avatar

There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this at all - other than the fact that it lasts less than an hour. Horrible and boring.

A huge thumbs down.

28 May, 2009

rodent's avatar

France France

A fruity, admittedly well-blended juice that I find a lot less remarkable than everyone else seems to. Pleasant enough and OK, very impressive packaging, but a bit too fruity to be as formal a scent as everyone makes out. Mediocre longevity doesn't help its case. Overall, I'm not terribly impressed.

08 March, 2009

aussiepiper's avatar

I am surprised by many of the reviews that say this scent does not last. On me it lasts for hours. One of my current favourites.

10th January, 2009

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Baldessarini is not bad fragance, very wearable in summer, after to take shower and a short walk for the beach.
    This is not an Eau de Toilette, is Eau de Cologne. Be careful, this product is only for 1 hour or less, not more....longevity zero.
    I bought it one time, but I will not repeat the experience.

15 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Green tobacco! This is some amazing stuff. Usually I dislike mint but it works so amazingly well in this. Like a high class menthol cigarette without all the pesky smoke.

09 July, 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

wore it for my engagement and wedding. its a scent for special occasions. Thats how commanding Baldessarini is. you cant dare to put this one on when you are in a jeans n t-shirt. it commands respect and you shall give thie scent respect. incredibly classy, sweet, powdery (lil bit), oriental blend with a twist of tobbaco which would make anyone feel luxurius and stand apart. striclty for suits and formal wear.

the only other "gentleman" scent that i have come across is Chanle Pour Monsieur, but baldessarini is ia different beast altogether. if possible, the concentree version.

23 April, 2008

Leifer's avatar

Hugo Boss is a very well-known name in the German fashion industry, and Werner Baldessarini was his right-hand man. In honor of him, the fragrance Baldessarini was launched in 2000 -- and launched very well. Just by examining the pyramid, we see that tangerine, bitter orange, and green mint are our top notes, while patchouli, clove buds, and cumin seeds make up the heart, followed by more patchouli, sandalwood, fir balsam, tobacco, amber, and musk as the base notes.

With this setup on paper, it's hard not to get giddy -- the layout is absolutely marvelous, it's the perfect combination for a cologne that has the potential of being one of the best scents in the world. The notation is simply gorgeous and seemingly infinite in range; from the tropical, juicy tangerines that are succulent and sweet, bursting with liveli warmth, to the bitter, harsh notes of the tobacco leaf set us up for a majestic fragrance. However, right off the bat we have a problem... with such a wide range of notes, Baldessarini will inevitably run into some problems. The tangerine and mint are going to be rubbish in the cold weather, which leaves the scent smelling like dirt and cigarettes when the weather is nippy; and, for your warm summer-time days, the tobacco notes from this cologne are alone going to be responsible for your mother's lung cancer. We're already going down a bad road...

Baldessarini could have saved itself by not having such an absurd range of potent scents. The tangerine and bitter orange are unbelievable, they literally make you hungry, and the tobacco is so masculine, that manly scents like Grey Flannel and K10 become prepubescent in its midst. But having such an uncontrolled range is deadly, and a huge letdown for the scent. If you wear it during the summer or winter, you're going to be very disappointed to find that there's no real cohesion in the scent, it seriously is a vast multitude of ingredients that don't tie in together to make a single scent. There is no flirting between top and heart and base notes, and the mixture remains separated into just that -- your minty, tangy top, proceeded by a brand-new earthy heart, proceeded by a brand-new musky, tobacco base. It's too choppy, and split up; you wonder if Baldessarini is three separate colognes. Well then, bah for Baldessarini; it appears to be somewhat disappointing...

Until we wear it during the fall or early spring, when conditions are just right for the ingredients to shine -- and the effect is mindblowing. It's such a rarity to be able to wear Baldessarini in the right conditions, that it's worthless unless it's JUST the right time of year. Each ingredient works in harmony with the next to create a chain of scent that is so remarkable, that it's almost too much to handle. The initial burst of sweet tangerine is subsided by a strikingly smooth hint of mint leaf; both of which are guided to the heart by a soft bitter orange note, which opens the door to an herbal heaven. Here, the warmth of the patchouli fuses with the tangerine and projects a sweet, mossy scent, while the mint and bitter orange fade in with bitter clove buds and cumin seeds, striking out their extremeties; ultimately resulting in one of the greatest transitions ever. It doesn't stop there, though, because the heart-to-base transition is even greater. The shift from a slightly fruity/herbal/lightly woodsy heart to a tobacco/dark wood base is extremely hard, just because such strong bases carry their own dominant scents, and the mixture of powerful hearts and powerful bases results in a nauseating scent most of the time, that smells like nothing recognizable. However, in Baldessarini, the extra bed of patchouli serves as a median, allowing the heart notes to fade away without interfering with the scent of the base notes. The crucial difference that it makes is what literally makes the fragrance wearable; tobacco is such a harsh note, that when you mix it with tangerines and mint (of all things, those are the two worst) they become rotten, and the entire scent smells of week-old, half-smoked cigarette stubs that are rubbed in your nose against your will. But, somehow, the patchouli resists the mixture and allows a clash-free drydown, with proper diffusion of heart/top notes before the strong, woodsy base begins to release it's own scent.

Taking chances is always a great thing, because it allows for a range of concoctions to be produced, that deviate from typical boundaries, and push the limit s of what ingredients can and cannot be used. Baldessarini's ingredients are completely independant of each other -- consider Baldessarini to be a puzzle, and each note is a piece that aligns with the next, but they constantly spin in different speeds and directions, so the alignment is never quite right... one day it's too tangy and almost like a woman's perfume, and the next you find yourself smelling like a smoker's convention hut, but rarities do occur, and when the pieces fit together, the result is sheer bliss; Baldessarini becomes one of the classiest, well-done, diverse fragrances ever known.

15 January, 2008

Dusan1964's avatar

Serbia Serbia

After the first bottle I've bought another one, but the concentree version. Much better longevity. Real stuff!!!!!!

21st December, 2007

Indie_Guy's avatar

Like another reviewer said, bottles of this were floating around for $20, so I snagged one.

Baldessarini didn't impress me much on a paper strip, but when I just decided to wear it one day, I was really taken aback by it. Some fragrances are really good but they get old fast. This one on the other hand just gets better as the day goes on. My favorite part of this scent is the fir note-- really refreshing like the outdoors. And the orange note is soft and chewy like orange bubble-gum. It almost reminds me of Boss in Motion, which I dislike, but this one is much better.

This is kind of a simple scent, but I find something extremely satisfying about it. Everytime I wear it, I feel like I've made the right choice. I've found the longevity to be pretty good-- it lasts all throughout an eight to ten hour shift.

The solid metal bottle is high quality-- and really heavy. They really put some care into the packaging of this.

09 November, 2007

LiveJazz's avatar

Well, I got this one blindly in a swap. I was expecting to be underwhelmed, but this is quickly joining Bvlgari PH as my standard work fragrance.

Sure, it's a little sweet, but it's such a transparently clean sweetness. Baldessarini is to sweet what Bvlgari PH is to musk. Very sheer and very easy to handle. Sillage isn't great (I don't want it to be if it's going to serve as a more formal selection), but longevity has been fine on me. This is one of the few scents featuring tobacco that work well on me. It's very well blended and smooth.

No, it isn't groundbreaking or particularly interesting, but I think there's something to be said for a cologne that just smells damn good all the time. This one certainly fits the bill.

03 July, 2007

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

I am annoyed at not completely liking this fragrance. I love mint in LB Roma but cannot tolerate it here. Maybe it's the interaction with the fir notes that makes it too sweet. It's short-lived, being an eau de cologne, the prices are too high for what is basically a Hugo Boss scent. You have to look like and be the same age as the guy in the posters to carry this off well, though. Oh, and own a motor yacht.

28 June, 2007