Reviews of Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I get pencil shavings, a hint of dry tobacco and dried orange peel. Extremely well put together, smooth and understated. As Darvant says, the drydown is very enjoyable.
10th May, 2016
**For the Baldessarini made by Prestige Beauté. Not the current version.**

Underrated Gem. Perfect combination of citrus top and sweet amber.
Not cloying like some of the sweet tobacco (chergui).
At the price it sells it is a must in any collection.
Ignore the marketing - it is a unisex fragrance
25th February, 2016
An amazing scent with a blast of Orange and sweet Tobacco. Very refined and perfect for a formal event or romantic evening. I have had this in my collection since 2003 (on my 4th bootle) and its a top 10 in my collection for sure. For the price you will not be disappointed. Enjoy.
11th August, 2015

Gem of a cologne

The core of this really good sweet orange cologne is built on mandarin, fruity rose and balsamic notes, and around this a class of molecules related to rose oxide sets up a metallic ringing note that vibrates like a tuning fork way above hearing level.
These are glowing, red and orange jewel-like damascones.

Baldessarini's hi tech glass and steel character is oddly out of sync with its traditional citrus, wood and spice structure.
In this case, where damascones take the place of spice the effect feels both sci fi and passé, like a magical ruby shining in a bracelet of wood.

Baldessarini lies on a line that connects damascone-heavy Paris with the 1988 phenomenon Cool Water in which (according to Bois de Jasmin) the derivative Dynascone was used. Arriving on the cusp of the nineties, this Hugo Boss flagship masculine can be seen as fitting into the existing trend away from sillage monsters and towards a quieter decade.

But experience shows us the door to perfumery's new world order was not unlocked by damascones and their derivatives, the key was found in the other side of Cool Water's gateway structure; it was the watery and not metallic notes that best represented the movement towards a new purity.

Baldessarini saw the game was on but they backed the wrong team.
This extraordinary fantasy Cologne is from a bygone age but it is still beautiful none the less.

****

This review is about the original Hugo Boss version made by Prestige Beauté.
12th July, 2015 (last edited: 30th July, 2016)
A Great underrated (or better somewhat ignored) piece of fragrance, yes formal/casual, urban and dynamic. A combination of dry fresh dusty cedarwood, ambergris, aromatic herbs, patchouli, fir resin and thirsty tobacco provides a final compact really cozy aura of virility over which "somber" fruity floral patterns complete their twist of modern articulation (it could be sharp geranium, red berries, orange for sure and green apple). The Baldessarini's beginning is quite likeable under my nose, I detect fresh aromatic (somewhat mint-licorice veined) fluidy hesperides with a heady orange presence well connected with herbs and dry-mild dark spices (I suppose pepper, cardamom, cinnamon). I love the dry fruity bitterness on my skin and the ambergris-patchouli-woody tobacco chord is cozy and finally "warmly organic". The fragrance modernity abides in my opinion in its capacity to show out each individual element of its short list of expressful notes. Cedarwood (as complemented by spiciness, ambergris and "anisic" orange) is the starring note in my opinion while tobacco provides a touch of final "seasoned" roundness somewhat juxtaposed to a main woody hesperidic connection. The final trail is excellent, spicy orangy, vaguely earthy-bitter, slightly resinous and finally smoother.
20th September, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Baldessarini’s top notes are a conventional, but very well executed blend of citrus and aromatics, but the heart is something more unusual. It is essentially a two part structure: a sweet, yet brisk spiced fruit accord set against a very dry, dusty cedar. The spiced fruit and cedar may derive from Féminité du Bois and Donna Karan’s Chaos, but in those scents the two elements are blended into a seamless accord, whereas in Baldessarini they do not so much blend as stand side by side, drawing the nose back and forth between them. Though it employs different ingredients, this is the same trick played by Bernard Chant in his Aramis (animalic leather vs. white flowers) and Aramis 900 (green floral vs. amber/patchouli), and it succeeds here as well, generating an olfactory tension that maintains interest until the drydown. As for the tobacco listed in the pyramid, I detect it to some degree on paper, but on my skin it seems to merge into the spiced fruit accord.

The drydown is where I enjoy Baldessarini the least. While the spiced fruit portion of the scent endures quite well, it does fade long before the cedar, which on its own smells rather colorless and thin. Anticlimactic in its development, but a very good scent nonetheless.
09th June, 2014
I absolutely LOVE Baldessarini! I remember smelling it the next day on my shirt in the laundry and thinking, WOW, this really IS a good fragrance! Although many here state it has a strong tobacco note, I would agree; however, I think per Hugo Boss' description, it is actually the single-note living patchouli flower that is predominant. I find this fragrance to be well suited for formal occasions, or a scent to wear when traveling. It is very cosmopolitan in nature, and smells so much more refined and classic than many fragrances out there today. The EdC has good lasting power, but I prefer the EdC Concentree. I like fragrances that stay with you, and ones that you can depend on. So many these days last for about 10 minutes and then are gone. I give Baldessarini a big Thumbs Up because it is so unique and classy.
07th April, 2013
Despite the notes list, this is basically just the smell of Hawaiian Punch, a sweet red "froot" smell. There's some mint and herbs hiding behind it, but not enough to give it any real depth. It's halfway between Joop and Paris Hilton, but quite weak. Essentially a very cheap-smelling girly fruity floral marketed as a higher-end men's scent.
02nd March, 2013
this is the only tobacco smelling frag.its very good,sophisicated for evenings and events.the best.
30th July, 2011
chet31 Show all reviews
I like the simplicity of the fragrance, but not the originality. I get the citrus and mint/pine, but no tobacco. The latter is OK, as I generally do not like what perfumers consider "tobacco" scent. I have worn this 3-4 times, including yesterday. I was going to apply some again today to help me write this review. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn't really want to. Smells fine, but does not excite.
24th June, 2011
I get a great blend of citrus and incense at first, with elements of cedar (resin), a fresh green mint, and a teensy bit of creaminess, something like synthetic banana. Fades quite true to this original impression except the fruitiness (which is really weak on me) disappears, and the whole ride finally stalls at a pleasant faint cedar. I don't really pick up any tobacco, though perhaps I would call it a sweet cedar and that subtle sweetness is the influence of the tobacco.
Think it smells great, and like the kind of masculine that works wonderfully as a unisex fragrance, particularly in the summer? Who cares. Borrowed from a friend and now I want it.
21st June, 2011
By rights, I should hate this. It's made by Hugo Boss, it's fruity and it's very synthetic. Once in a coon's age, the stars align and a room full of monkeys manage to type out War & Peace. Balde is just that. A bold attempt to recreate the traditional EdC formula and boy did they succeed. Balde smells nothing like your father's EdC. Well, if your father was a martian it might. Yes, Balde smells alien. I smell fruit but I can't identify what type of fruit it is. Mutant banana meets bergamot? Don't know but these opening notes will lift you up like a forklift. Grows sweeter and, dare I say, woodier. And yet I'm hard-pressed to identify the sweetness (not vanilla, amber or tonka) and I certainly can't fathom what type of wood is in here. No doubt, it's a synthetic wonderland of beautiful accords that anyone will enjoy. Obscure and hard-to-find but don't let that curtail you from getting this. Father's day is everyday when Balde is in the air.
18th June, 2011
Baldessarini is a woody oriental that is a wonderful fruity, tobacco fragrance. I initially dismmised this one because the tobacco note overwhelmed me the first time I gave it a test run. My nose has clearly changed since then and now I can't get enough of this relatively unknown (or ignored) fragrance. When I first tried Baldessarini, I completely missed the wonderful fruity top notes. I'm not sure how I missed them, but I did. Now, I not only experience the tangerine and bitter orange, but mint and fir are very noticeable right out of the bottle. This fragrance has a very appealing opening. The fruit, mint and fir blend so well. The mint becomes more prominent in the mid note phase of Baldessarini, although the fruity note remains a major player well into the progression. The patchouli emerges and provides an effective bridge into the woody-tobacco drydown. The tobacco note emerges slowly and smoothly and is the perfect compliment to the fruity nature of the top and mid notes. I don't find the tobacco base to be overpowering. The woody notes are noticeable, lending a slightly dry texture, but the tobacco note takes center stage.

Baldessarini (edc) lasts approximately 6 hours on my skin. I just ordered the concentree version and I'm really looking forward to comparing the longevity of the two versions. However, I'm also very interested in the basic nature of the concentree version in relation to the edc. Hopefully, no Eau Sauvage Extreme train wreck type issues here.

I find Baldessarini to be a fine formal fragrance, but I wear it for other occassions as well. I don't wear this one to the office. Baldessarini. Try it, enjoy it.
14th May, 2011

MJW77 Show all reviews
I really like this one. The bitter orange and mint do make a very sweet opening, but there's also a kind of bracing cleanliness to it. The scent remains pretty sweet throughout but becomes more subdued as the tobacco note announces itself. I think it's a versatile fragrance that can be worn casually or formally and in most seasons. Not bad longevity for a cologne too. Good stuff!
16th February, 2011
I find Baldessarini linear. Disliking a linear fragrance is somehow worse than disliking a scent with a traditional top, middle and base. Whereas the three-tiered fragrance might surprise you and win you over, for a linear scent, the first sniff becomes the lasting impression. A linear fragrance must have notes that can connect at various points to keep your interest. It allows for reconsideration from different perspectives and in different lights. Here is where a good linear fragrance can hold its own against a known classic.

In Baldessarini, I found the saccharine sweet note unpleasant, the nose equivalent of a high-pitched whistle. The cedar-like tobacco note has no connection to this sweet note, and so the two sit uneasily side by side for the duration of their mutually linear paths. Another difficulty with the tobacco note: a botanically derived material evolves over time. When it doesn’t, a ‘reference’ note must be used carefully. If it simulates tobacco, but is not tobacco, and the other components to the fragrance don’t enhance it, the nose may recoil, as mine did.
18th December, 2010 (last edited: 03rd May, 2012)
Here's a good example of what comes to mind when I read another reviewer use the term, 'plasticky.' The mint and orange opening, which has been done to death, teams up with -something- else (fir?) in the mix to make an unnaturally fruity/fake accord which I suppose was intended to come across as metallic in a manly way, but I guess I lack the swarthy countenance or the sheer manliness to make this present itself appropriately. It just smells awkward and unnatural to me. After a good half hour or so, however, this sensation begins to diminish and the whole becomes more woody, and I can attest the drydown, which I find the most worthwhile part of the whole, lasts until the next morning. I did not expect that. Well, It's got ups and downs, so I suppose that makes it at the very least interesting.
17th November, 2010
Slightly sweet, coniferous citrus-tobacco scent. This has actually been a favorite of mine for a long time. Just don't over-do it - no more than 4 sprays. Very good for formal occasions, and works best in summer in fall, at least for me. It smells really formal; however you can wear this out on the town. As I said though, don't over-do it, as that can lead to you smelling like a cheesy 80's club-hopper. Has a sort of creamy quality to it. Nice mint in there compliments the tobacco and fir notes, making it a little more refreshing. Can be found at discount stores like TJ Maxx for $25 bucks or less, nowadays.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was an Eau de Cologne. Well, it has great longevity for an Eau de Cologne! I get up to 7 or 8 hours!
09th October, 2010 (last edited: 24th December, 2010)
Major letdown. Kind of strange, almost banana-like fruit opening, that maintains a pretty high level of sweetness as it goes. I know a lot of people like this, but for me it turns straight to candy within 10-15 minutes...Starburst of some sort, I think strawberry. I would really like to taste the imaginary candy that this smells like, but I don't need to smell like it myself. The metallic aspect also reminds me of something with aspartame or sucralose, which I hate. And as a shirt-dabber, I can tell you that this stuff stains bright yellow and it never comes out...something that normally happens with much more concentrated brews.
25th July, 2010
I love it , its one of my favorite summer cologne , Spicy, Fresh and sweet /spicy to some extent , very well blended tobacco with sweetness . A mature and complete fragrance.
24th May, 2010
Kaern Show all reviews
This is the best masculine by Boss by a country mile -- how surprising it was named after the actual boss. Boss's clothing range completely mirrors it's fragrances, i.e. badly made and totally reactive -- nothing is original. As this is for the 'governor;' I suppose some decent amount of money was offered to the perfumers for a change. It moves through it's citrusy, woody to fruity phases beautifully. Even though it is rather staid, I like it a lot. The only Boss fragrance that is worth purchasing.
04th March, 2010 (last edited: 16th March, 2010)
I absolutely love this fragrance! In my mind, this is the perfect scent for a man, not so much for the younger set, it exudes masculinity. The basenote is where this fragrance really shines, its a dusty tobacco smell with just a hint of pine to it. For me, longevity is great, it lasts all day, and then through an evening shower and I still pick up hints of it at bedtime, even after the shower. Its a stronger fragrance as well, for me, 2 sprays is enough. I can't say enough good things about this fragrance, especially the fact that I picked it up blind from amazon for $30 for 2.5 ounce bottle!
13th February, 2010
Well I love this fragrance ! very masculine and I can really smell the bitter orange coming through this one ! unfortunately the scent doesnt last , but a very good scent nonetheless. I use the shower gel and the deo body spray to help 'layer' the scent and it works ! i get a few extra hours from it!

love it!

09th October, 2009
A nice male perfume that is aimed for more adult audience. Not so sweet as the Ambre, not so peppery as the Del Mar.
I would say that is a citrucy perfume and although not an eau de toilette, it lasts!
I would say that Baldessarini three perfumes are covering all the tastes and are better that the Hugo Boss perfumes.
08th July, 2009
This is a rather unsatisfactory product that introduced itself to me with a liquid Haribo opening. The last time I was assailled by such a dense sucrose salvo was when I tested Paco Rabanne One Million, and if anything this was even more unwieldy. The citrus elements in the opening seem to be completely overpowered, and for the first hour this feels clumsy and lumpen. The only wearable phase occurs some two hours in, when the rather thuggish elements have receded, and a far more entertaining blend of ingredients are permitted to shine through. A dry, spiced tobacco accord has its brief moment in the sun, then evaporates all too quickly leaving one disappointed on almost every level.
06th June, 2009
There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this at all - other than the fact that it lasts less than an hour. Horrible and boring.

A huge thumbs down.
28th May, 2009
A fruity, admittedly well-blended juice that I find a lot less remarkable than everyone else seems to. Pleasant enough and OK, very impressive packaging, but a bit too fruity to be as formal a scent as everyone makes out. Mediocre longevity doesn't help its case. Overall, I'm not terribly impressed.
08th March, 2009
I am surprised by many of the reviews that say this scent does not last. On me it lasts for hours. One of my current favourites.
10th January, 2009
Baldessarini is not bad fragance, very wearable in summer, after to take shower and a short walk for the beach.
This is not an Eau de Toilette, is Eau de Cologne. Be careful, this product is only for 1 hour or less, not more....longevity zero.
I bought it one time, but I will not repeat the experience.
15th July, 2008
Green tobacco! This is some amazing stuff. Usually I dislike mint but it works so amazingly well in this. Like a high class menthol cigarette without all the pesky smoke.
09th July, 2008
wore it for my engagement and wedding. its a scent for special occasions. Thats how commanding Baldessarini is. you cant dare to put this one on when you are in a jeans n t-shirt. it commands respect and you shall give thie scent respect. incredibly classy, sweet, powdery (lil bit), oriental blend with a twist of tobbaco which would make anyone feel luxurius and stand apart. striclty for suits and formal wear.

the only other "gentleman" scent that i have come across is Chanle Pour Monsieur, but baldessarini is ia different beast altogether. if possible, the concentree version.
23rd April, 2008