Reviews of Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

Find out more about Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

teardrop's avatar

England England

This strikes me as mainly patchouli & woods, along with a kind of burning smell, not unlike Gorilla Perfumes' The Smell of Weather Turning. There is also a suggestion of wet concrete or asphalt. The feel here is very masculine, not terribly pleasant, & it projects very strongly. l suspect it also lasts several hours, but l showered it off after three.
    lf this scent is in any way related to a thunderstorm, then for me it conveys the tension in the air before a storm, rather than the cathartic release brought on by the storm itself, when the heavens finally open. Perhaps it does progress to that stage eventually, & l ought to give it another try, when l feel able to brave that acrid first three hours once more.

01st August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Foul Weather

Thunderstorms don't smell like this; petroleum products do. Silly concept, icky smell. Pardon me while I wash it off.

05th July, 2014

kankri's avatar

Starts off with an alcohol blast, then it's cucumbers. Lots and lots of cucumbers, freshly cut cucumbers. In a few minutes that fades off and I get grass, wet dirt, and ozone. Doesn't really smell like a thunderstorm or rain to me, more like wet ground after a rain. Kind of disappointing to me. My sister borrowed it for a bit and it apparently smells enough like rain to other people (or maybe it's her chemistry), since she got a bunch of comments wondering about the smell and hey, did you think it's going to rain? It has fair to poor sillage, people can usually smell it walking by, but it has very poor lasting power. I'm lucky if it sticks around for an hour.

I have a blind buy 4 oz bottle and I use it as a room spray occasionally now. I don't really wear it, but I'd recommend this to anyone trying to find something that smells like rain; it might work for them. I, on the other hand, continue my hunt for the perfume that truly smells like rain.

04th January, 2013

Nellieesh's avatar

Wow, once I sprayed this scent I could smell fresh cut grass, mud and wet cement.

Mostly what I was going for was the smell of your windowpane while you are watching the rain. Now, that scent was transformed into the wet cement smell.

There is no floral undertone. It does smell a bit like some type of wood after it has been on awhile.

It's staying power is strong but not for each quality of the scent. The more musky smell of wood is the one that lingers...for days on clothing...

I do wish it was a bit more refreshing, but, it totally lives up to it's name.

I think it would be a much better scent on a man and I have started to use it in my car. I'm wondering what smell will last.

26th December, 2012

kmfdm10392's avatar

The biggest turn-off for me was the take-your-breath-away opening blast of pure unadulterated alcohol. It literally made my head swim (and not in a good way) and watch out for any nearby open flame ! Once it dried, Thunderstorm for me was a completely linear, short-lived yet slightly pleasant evocation of rain on hot concrete driveway pavement. And then, ppphhhzzzt. Gone.

20th August, 2011

suz894's avatar

I found Demeter's Dirt to be interesting and pleasant, and I love the outdoors, so I expected to like Thunderstorm. Unfortunately I do not. On me the opening was all grass, but not in a good way. From there it moved to that smell you get when wires are burning, with just a hint of something (maybe floral?) underneath, and that's where it stayed.

I will say it lasts longer than my other Demeter, so if you like the scent that's a plus.

11th October, 2010

sydney's avatar

This is pretty much what I wear day to day. Okay, so I understand that it's hard to capture what a thunderstorm really smells like.. It's different to everyone. But there is something about the earthy-ness and dirt to this that I just crave.

To me, it smells like wet earth, with sopping, down-trodden vegetation, and maybe a slight hint of ozone every now and them. The lasting power - amazing! I can put it on after a shower and still catch hints of it late in the evening.

Two thumbs up, if I could!

27th July, 2010

Miguel de la Mancha's avatar

Dear reader,
    Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library is an amazing scent. If you close your eyes and use a little imagination it really does smell like a t-storm.
    It comes out of the bottle very green and mossy. Then the high notes kick in, then fade- almost like feeling the rising electricity in the air. Is that a trace of cedar I detect in there?
    To me this scent is definitely redolent of a warm So-Cal storm burst, much more so than a frigid New England downpour. In a little while it dries down nice and flat with wet wood and sticks; fresh potting soil and patchouli. I like it.
    My girlfriend liked it, too ,.^, Although she didn't think it smelled much like a thunderstorm, but instead like dirty wet beet roots.
    My mom also liked it- she thought it smelled green/clean.
    I imagine if I hadn't obtained some other Demeters to distract them, either of these ladies might've attempted to purloin my precious Thunderstorm. However, to me it seems to be more of a man's fragrance because there are no floral, and very minimal citrus or incense notes. This is dirty wet beet roots. Enjoy.
    As for staying power, this fragrance seems to hold on only for a short while then die away- leaving a hint of soapy-plantiness; a great reason to carry more with you and apply at will. Especially since, to me, this scent really seems to take you from the sudden burst of the storm all the way through the drenched earth afterward. Definitely a keeper, this is my favorite Demeter for men so far. I think I'll put some more on right now.

30th April, 2010

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Strong smell of mould and cucumber in the beginning. I presume it can be even quite shocking for those who are not used to these kind of fragrances.
    It develops into a natural smell of fresh dirt, green foliage and ozone. Lasting power is not a problem with this one at all.

Amazing fragrance, but I wouldn’t recommend this to be used as a personal fragrance.
    Spray it on your sheets, curtains, towels etc. instead. Your house will smell wonderful, natural and quite intoxicating.

03rd February, 2009

RuffDawg's avatar

My favorite Demeter. Imagine the smell, in a rural area, after an intense summer storm. Hints of wet earth, ozone, freshly torn leaves, freshly broken tree limbs & a hint of steaming wet pavement. It lasts all day on me. Two thumbs up!

21st November, 2008 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2011)

laurelrea's avatar

I use this as a room spray more than on my body. Its lovely and interesting, and lives up to its name. The only thing is the dirt smell (while it is really nice and i do like it!) comes through stronger than anything else, and leaves the room with a slightly fresh watery dirt smell, which i dont know is really a good thing! Overall I would give it a thumbs up, though.

20th November, 2008

alleysmom's avatar

I just got mine today. I'm wearing it now. I kind of like it. :-)

08th October, 2008

OK! Here is my thunderstorm history: For almost fifty years I’ve experienced thunderstorms in an important thunderstorm corridor of North America: from the forests of Ontario around Lake Nipigon to the northwest corner of Missouri and many points in between. I think Demeter Thunderstorm is realistic: The ozone, the smell of electrically charged dust, the rain, the dry dirt disturbed by raindrops. This catches those odors: It’s almost like experiencing an actually thunderstorm – the only things missing are the sounds and the feel of that palpable bit of electric static in the air that is especially prominent around and amid trees. I don’t really use Thunderstorm as a cologne, but I enjoy the room spray, and it lasts longer than the personal spray.

22nd August, 2008

_R$_'s avatar

What a terrible excuse for a fragrance. I've lived in Kansas for 16 years now, and if anyone knows what a thunderstorm smells like, it is Kansans. We open all the doors and windows, turn on the attic fan, and go out on the front lawn to see the storm roll in. Grab a beer, drink some wine, smoke a cigar. It's a time to relax and clear your head. It's the smell of dirt and rain. It's pure. Thunderstorm (The fragrance) has this tense quality to it, with no resemblance what so ever to a real one. I don't know why people think that a thunderstorm smells electric. Define electric. If you mean electricity, you are very mistaken, electricity has no scent. If you mean ozone from lightning bolts, you are extremely mistaken. There isn't enough lightning for you to actually smell ozone. Believe me. I've only smelled it once during a storm, and that's when the tree in our yard got hit. We decided to stay outside a little longer, to see if a tornado would pop up. Thunderstorm is a poor effort, only made worse by people accepting it as the real deal. Come to Kansas sometime you'll see enough lightning and feel the thunder. You'll know a real thunderstorm.
    - Rich

06th March, 2007

Clare's avatar

I've never noticed whether an actual thunderstorm has its own smell, other than that of rain. But Thunderstorm by Demeter smells like nothing so much as lettuce to me - a fresh head of lettuce with dirt still attached to the roots. It's refreshing and different, not a very "perfume"-like smell. It lasts a good few hours, too.

I like it a lot right now, but I don't know whether I'll get sick of it by the time I use up my bottle.

23rd January, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

A strong and natural scent of rain-drenched earth and wet green herbs.

29th July, 2006

chaelaran1008's avatar

I love the combination of smells that the power of a thunderstorm releases: fire, air, water and earth letting us know that compared to them we are not so big and we are not so clever! Demeter Thunderstorm cracks open with a lightning bolt - the sharpest whiff of an electrical spark through smoky air followed by a thunderous, refreshing downpour of rain. The evocative smells of wet dirt, grass and hot pavements, as steam begins to rise, then take over.When the scent settles we are left with a sense of the stillness that follows the thunderstorm. I think Demeter have done a fantastic job with this fragrance. It is an experience in a bottle that I would recommend to anyone who wants to try something totally different.

16th May, 2006

Rue's avatar

This is my favourite Demeter. I love the serenity that thunderstorms always evoke in me and I really miss them since moving away from the east coast. Demeter has managed to capture the exact scent in the air that blows in through an open window during a storm. The electricity, wet pavement, rain and ozone.

23rd February, 2006

candiedviolets's avatar

Thunderstormv is like Demeter's Firefly with the bug guts scent underlying, then a fleeting, almost an expectation, of a metallic note which dissipates immediately, along with a strong rich earth - a lighter version of dirt - more like fresh tilled soil. I don't find the smell of a thunderstorm in this at all. Storms always smell electric or metallic to me. But the earthy scent of the aftermath of a thunderstorm is captured making this very pleasant.

Dry Down: - although not unpleasant it is slightly sweet and earthy like it has Holy Water, Firefly and Dirt all mixed in - this is not not my favorite.

Fianl Opinion: - reminds me of a nice retro 70's scent without the incense factor - not UNenjoyable but to me misses the mark of the name Thunderstorm. Perhaps it is meant to capture all the scents associated with after the Thunderstorm and depending where you live I would say Demeter was somewhat successful in doing this. Maybe it calls for a renaming such as After The Storm! It just did not evoke the memory of an actual Thunderstorm for me.

07th February, 2006