Negative Reviews of Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

Find out more about Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

teardrop's avatar

England England

This strikes me as mainly patchouli & woods, along with a kind of burning smell, not unlike Gorilla Perfumes' The Smell of Weather Turning. There is also a suggestion of wet concrete or asphalt. The feel here is very masculine, not terribly pleasant, & it projects very strongly. l suspect it also lasts several hours, but l showered it off after three.
    lf this scent is in any way related to a thunderstorm, then for me it conveys the tension in the air before a storm, rather than the cathartic release brought on by the storm itself, when the heavens finally open. Perhaps it does progress to that stage eventually, & l ought to give it another try, when l feel able to brave that acrid first three hours once more.

01st August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Foul Weather

Thunderstorms don't smell like this; petroleum products do. Silly concept, icky smell. Pardon me while I wash it off.

05th July, 2014

suz894's avatar

I found Demeter's Dirt to be interesting and pleasant, and I love the outdoors, so I expected to like Thunderstorm. Unfortunately I do not. On me the opening was all grass, but not in a good way. From there it moved to that smell you get when wires are burning, with just a hint of something (maybe floral?) underneath, and that's where it stayed.

I will say it lasts longer than my other Demeter, so if you like the scent that's a plus.

11th October, 2010

_R$_'s avatar

What a terrible excuse for a fragrance. I've lived in Kansas for 16 years now, and if anyone knows what a thunderstorm smells like, it is Kansans. We open all the doors and windows, turn on the attic fan, and go out on the front lawn to see the storm roll in. Grab a beer, drink some wine, smoke a cigar. It's a time to relax and clear your head. It's the smell of dirt and rain. It's pure. Thunderstorm (The fragrance) has this tense quality to it, with no resemblance what so ever to a real one. I don't know why people think that a thunderstorm smells electric. Define electric. If you mean electricity, you are very mistaken, electricity has no scent. If you mean ozone from lightning bolts, you are extremely mistaken. There isn't enough lightning for you to actually smell ozone. Believe me. I've only smelled it once during a storm, and that's when the tree in our yard got hit. We decided to stay outside a little longer, to see if a tornado would pop up. Thunderstorm is a poor effort, only made worse by people accepting it as the real deal. Come to Kansas sometime you'll see enough lightning and feel the thunder. You'll know a real thunderstorm.
    - Rich