Reviews of Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

Hmm. Comme des Garçons 3 smells a lot simpler than all those notes in the pyramid suggest. It goes on with some odd sour candy-style fake fruit, acerbic green notes and one small sweaty sock. It's an aggressively harsh, synthetic opening, but purposefully so: an olfactory challenge rather than an accidental miscarriage. Come to think of it, #3 has the kind of off-kilter, confrontational opening that's often ascribed to Caron's much less iconoclastic L'Anarchiste. I kind of like it - too bad that what follows is a lot less interesting.

The Jolly Rancher top notes bow out once their shock value is exhausted, and their place is taken by a more conventional citrus note. The dirty sock meanwhile softens and blends into a well-worn shoe leather and cedar background. The tart citrus plays against the leather and woods not so much in harmony as in olfactory polytonality, or maybe an oxymoron in scent.

The effect is terribly clever, if also a bit self-conscious and stagey. Comme des Garçons 3 goes on this way for an hour or two, until the citrus quits and leaves the drydown to some cedar and animalic leather. In the end it strikes me as mildly absurd, like a self-regarding college drama major in a silk scarf, with delivery that never quite lives up to his theatrical entrance. Just like that drama major, Comme des Garçons 3 projects reasonably, but does not last.

11th June, 2014

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Its Japanese house, scent made for Asian market and they don't like strong loud scents, but this one is not watered down bad scent like many you find in this category, its so well balanced and unique!

It starts off as a bouquet of vegetables you put in a soup,a bit unpleasant for my nose, but after 30 minutes smells like pure heaven, like young beautiful boy in the spring!! Surrounded by green grass in the morning
    Smells very natural natural to me. Perfect summer scent!!! Better then cologne

07 October, 2012

SubBass70's avatar

WoW! One of the few fragrances that makes me do a double take and want more...it really is unique and the desription of the "plastic alien flower from a forgotten past" is not wrong..I was almost going to buy a full bottle but noticed it didnt last long on my skin..also felt it leant too much on the feminine side...Ill just buy the odd sample now and then to remind me of it..truly amazing.

15 June, 2012

alfarom's avatar

CDG 3 strikes as one of the most easily approachable compositions in the house huge range. It's light and transparent with just a slight dose of weirdness given by the usual mix of naturals and synthetics that became an hallmark for all the CDG's lovers.

3 opens green and sour with angelica and unripe citruses joined by slight spices and white floral patterns. The overall effect is energizing and weightless but at the same time unmistakeably CDG with its tremendous futuristic vibe. A woody-incense base strats to remarks its presence after a while turning, little by little, CDG3 into a transparent and radiant woody-flowery compositions that could be the perfect alternative to CDG2 for anyone who don't like rose. Perfect for summer.

Downside: weak lasting power (I bypass this issue by simply over-applying).

20th October, 2011

JaimeB's avatar

Off the beaten path, like so many other CdG scents. This one is subtle, not very sillage-heavy, though noticeable on a quieter level. An unusual mix of largely unfamiliar green notes, spices, light florals, woods, and orientals. This is not going to be everybody's cup of tea, but it does something magical in spring and summer for me. There's just some kind of leafy freshness that seems to fit those times of year, to my nose.

08 August, 2010

Reddeeratnight's avatar

Love it!!!
    This has been on my list of CdG's to buy and now I have it.
    I think it is what CdG does best and that is to create something great out of nothing or something new out of something familiar.
    I always refer to the scent as "grapefruit" - sweet but not overly sickly sweet more natural than manufactured with a bitter tinge
    I have a few other CdG perfumes in the cupboard - lately they seem to bring out perfumes which kinda smell similar to each other but this being an older scent smells like nothing before.
    I hope they bring out something truly inspirational like this one soon!

14 January, 2010

Susy's avatar

I don't know when I've been as disappointed in, or as disgusted with, a particular perfume, as I was when I put on this scent. I'd heard Jaisalmer described as a "rich, exotic" scent; with "smoky incense notes"; "blended with cardamon and cinnamon warmed by a strong hot pepper note" that dries "somewhat sweeter". All sounds pretty good, huh?

I've tried scents I couldn't like before, scents that I guess just didn't react well with my skin, but I've never experienced quite such an overwhelmingly negative reaction as I had to Jaisalmer. Jaisalmer is smoky all right, but not in a good way. If you'd like to smell like a wet ashtray, then Jaisalmer is right up your alley, but when I put this scent on my wrists, I was immediately reminded of a crowded subway ride on a muggy, rainy day, when I was trapped near an unwashed man whose damp clothes were permeated with cigarette smoke. Admittedly, I couldn't wait for the allegedly sweeter and perhaps more floral dry down; I had to get to a restroom to scrub off this scent, and thank God for Yardley's oatmeal soap.

I'll gladly give most new perfumes a chance to grow on me, but Jaisalmer smelt like something that had been growing in someone's gym clothes. Dreadful.

22 December, 2009

Tubereuse's avatar

When I first tried this, I remember thinking that it smelled like rubbing alcohol. I was not impressed. I was really let down by the "imaginary flower" hype. This fragrance taught me not to read too many descriptions of a scent outside of its notes.

I know CDG is known for its synthetics-- were many of these notes artificial, then? I am not keeping this sample. If you are sensitive to synthetic smells, beware of this one.

I wonder why I cannot smell anything!!

28 November, 2009

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

I agree the opening is like a continuation of the Odeur's, it sort of reminds me of the cellophane wrapping on a small bunch of flowers. After a couple of minutes the fresh, green, citrus appears - softly sweet and comforting and, like somebody else said, almost juicy. Later a soft wood moves into place which compliments and blends in perfectly. At the moment, I don't like this as much as 2, Sequoia or White but there's something wonderfully comforting and soothing about it. Like White, I find it perfect for days when you feel a little sick or the weather is too humid. I think this is something that will grow, expand and improve with experience. It's really quite beautiful.

22 August, 2009

decillisjl's avatar

this might be my most difficult review yet... I have been waiting 3 weeks for this to arrive from kuwait, and the anticipation nearly ended my life... i had to refrain from tearing into the packaging on the way home from the post office, and had the shakes after I got home and tried to remove the hermetically sealed (or almost) bag containing this most lusted after juice... I have a strange fixation with anything labeled "ethereal" or "other-worldly"... Previous reviews prompted me to buy blind, and although I wasn't stricken by the "odeur" series, I just had to see what an "imaginary" or "ethereal" flower smelled like... This is my third wearing of the day, and I'm still at a loss trying to decide if this is a quick swap or something I want to have on me forever...
    For half a heartbeat out of the bottle I caught the plastic synthetics of the odeur series, but once it settles on my skin the confusion of trying to pinpoint the individual notes drives me absolutely nuts... The rapid descent from topnotes to middlenotes is as difficult to discern to the nose as trying to slow down the image of a lightning bolt to the eyes... there is the omnipresent "frootloops" accord, but that might just be the civil war of floral vs spice overpowering each other in 32x speed... The only image I can conjure up would be twenty ghosts jabbing at me in rapid succession, each and every one coming so close to manifesting an absolute image before being replaced with another fleeting whisp... As the avalanche of "WTF" rolls down into flat terrain the dichotomy of this fragrance is magnificently apparent, and yet the chaos continues to distort any real chance at fully understanding the experience... Try to imagine... Twenty people are running in one direction, but all the while they are weaving in and out of each other... some people fall down along the way, but they are quickly picked up and thrown back into the maelstrom that is the collective stampede... All of a sudden, without warning they all come to a grinding halt... you have roughly ten seconds to try and identify their shrouded faces, but before you can pinpoint anyone with certainty, their faces change, and they begin to run in the EXACT OPPOSITE DIRECTION... these new faces share the same random movement... it seems no one wants to draw attention by taking the lead... they are each content in the blurry exodus that is their raison d'etre. The worst part is by the time they have reached the finish line you are just too tired to congratulate the winner... even a couple hours after the race is over you are still contemplating what the hell just happened... all in all, while buying something blind based on the notion of an "imaginary flower", I received a generous helping of humility and yet another reminder that perception is absolutely subjective, and any attempts at generalizing a "scent pyramid" are useless... Another thumbs up for reminding me that I am a "noob"

24 March, 2009

jamdox's avatar

Yes, an imaginary flower. The luckyscent.com description gets very effusive, incandescent flower on another planet, yadda yadda, but I think CdG, as they so often do, hit their target. It really does smell like that.

It smells like a vibrant, bright purple flower, growing in the dark. It is sweet, captivating, and beautiful, but not awe-inspiring, for me at least. Nonetheless I really like this scent.

I only had a small sample, kindly provided by The Perfume House, here in Portland, but enjoyed wearing it during an afternoon barbecue. It's not very manly, at all, but it still made me feel very comfortable, kind and personable. It's my pleasure to recommend Comme des Garçons #3 to anyone seeking a lovely and unique floral scent.

03 January, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

I like the concept of this fragrance. I like the fact that CdG tells you what they were thinking. If only more design houses would do that instead of just selling sex. Like is Calvin Klein decided to say "Obession for women was created for the old biddies". Anyways, the combination of notes smell like an ephemeral flower from space. It's very, very light but a thumbs up for concept.

06 September, 2008

rachelsf's avatar

This fragrance is a little hard to comprehend at first... Overall, to me this smells closest to a light, watery, ethereal chypre. I think the chypre accord is there - citrus from the mandarin, woods and amber - particularly in the dry-down. However, its nod to chypre is more as a bearer of complex narrative rather than through any customary notes, which are displaced one exotic step before herbs, flowers, fruit, and spices thrown into the mix. It's incredible with this eclectic melange that the whole thing hangs together with such airy simplicity. For those most comfortable with quiet, aqueous scents, this has a definite intrigue and mystery that stretches beyond usual territory. CdG3 is pleasantly unusual and one of the brand's best offerings.

21st July, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

CdG #3 is green and citrus-laden at first, granted, even to the point of fruitiness, but that soon dies down and is replaced by a cedary brute that is (at least to my nose) a half-sibling to Terre d'Hermes. (I can't believe no one else has picked up on this so far!)

Still, there is that trademark CdG synthetic "twang" to this one, and that distinguishes it (and not for the better) from TdH, at least in my humble opinion. Neutral on this one, as it's almost like a TdH wannabe that doesn't quite make it.

07 May, 2008

Soleil's avatar

If I could have the discipline I would wear nothing but this scent. There is little synthetic about this to me: it's a combination of floral spicy and earth notes. As organic as an imaginary flower. It's great for any occasion but best worn when you want to feel on top of the world.

21st December, 2007

nthny's avatar

Green... Pink... Green... Pink... That is what my mind thinks of as I smell this.

Comme des Garcons 3 reminds me of a movie I once saw called Ma vie en Rose (My life in pink) which has a few scenes where the kid travels to a funny world where everything is made of plastic... plastic trees, the colors are uber minimalst, like a world made of Legos or something.

The opening is very grassy to me, sharp, VERY leafy, and actually, REAL and fresh, like the smell of a crushed leaf. Then as it dries down it obtains this very two dimensional nature, and ends up smelling like a synthetic flower which just adds that special CdG charm to the fresh green opening.

18 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2012)

Ronald's avatar

I like it a lot, it's my favorite CdG so far and I've tried many of them. It's synthetic, for sure -- but in a modern, minimalist sort of way -- and that's a plus in this case. Great for hot weather. Smells like something the Bauhaus school would come up with if they did fragrances.

21st March, 2007

bront82's avatar

this smells just like OFF bug spray, I can't stop thinking that, and everytime I go for a wiff, that's all I can smell. Maybe I'm biased, as I usually like warmer and spicer smells, as this is completely opposite!

11th September, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

I just bought it and i have to say it´s just amazing, enough strong but really fresh, a balance between organic and synthetic notes...you can pick up citric notes and specially the Gingko note that is freshing and kind of juicy in a odd way and reminds me a fresh sliced fig but not as trong, and then i can smell kind of sugary gasoline?.
    The perfume changes after one hour radicly and comes dark and woody sticky black,i couldn´t describe it,but,10 mt later comes completely fantastic, softy spicy and woody with a familiar smell of surrounding air of gasoline, yes gasoline but extremely pleasant,attractive and personal, my colleague from work wants to bite me every time i wear it:)
    This perfume is very personal,give it a try and enjoy it!

05 September, 2006

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Very fresh and green. It sometimes borders on too acidic sharp, but mostly stays enjoyable. I don't find it synthetic or nondescript, in fact I think it's one of CdGs most natural scents since it's so herbally green. The only note I can pick out of the ones listed is perhaps the bitterness of vetiver, that might be the note bordering on too sharp. It reminds me of the drydown of the lovely Sherbet Rhubarb.

14 August, 2006

I had to train myself to smell this — it takes time, practice, and a few hastily assembled brand new neural synapses to discover notes that are new to the brain. This fragrance is based on an interesting idea. It is open, light, nuanced, and approaching etherealness in an outer-space sort of way. It doesn’t remind me of anything natural until the cedar shows up quite a while into the fragrance. Until then it’s all synthetics — purposeful synthetics. The accords are pleasant enough in an abstract way, and the more I wear this, the more I have learned to appreciate its elusive nuances and notes. The listed notes in the top and middle of the pyramid are of no help to me because I really can’t pick out the ginko biloba or the Angelica, or the jasmine or any of the other notes that occur in nature. The base is more natural — it has recognizable wood notes, and incense, and amber. Cdg #3 doesn’t really send off a lot of sillage. It is subtle and has decent longevity. It took a lot of work, but I’m really learning to enjoy this.

12 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2008)

scenteur7's avatar

As usual with CDG, something that smells incredible, but that I have no desire to actually wear. This, the least bizarre of the current CDG offerings is like a blend of the two CDG Odeurs with woody floral notes. Transparent, airy, clean-smelling...it's also quite fleeting and has very little longevity.

15 January, 2006

the_gabba_goul's avatar

CDG never ceases to amaze! For all intents and purposes, this scent should not be for a man...I mean, it's not particularly masculine, it's very synthetic, most of the notes are unplaceable...yet oddly, it works...and works beautifully...this scent kind of picks up where Odeur 71 left off, but truly takes the concept of finding beauty in the unusual to the next level...

This scent is a stroll through a dream, fying through the swirling mysts of an alien planet, not unlike our own, but still primal, and prehistoric...you pick a beautiful blossom, from the ground, it looks like no earthly flower has ever looked, an explosion of different shades of pink, green, yellow, white, and silver, the pedals thick and plasticky, sticky with a sweet nectar...you raise it to your nose, and just as you inhale and your senses are filled with this very scent, your body submits to it's raputre, and at that very moment, you awake...and as your senses greet the day, the sweet smell still lingers on your body...

27 December, 2005