Reviews of Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

NOiDONThaveBO's avatar

This was my signature scent when I was about 19. The ad campaign with its nautical theme along with the blue bottle attracted me and I remember buying it without much hesitation. The scent is nice. It is soothing and sweet. It gives the impression of fresh cleanliness with a smell that is reminiscent of some soaps. It makes you smell like you just showered. It projects very strongly and will stay with you all day so I recommend not over-applying.
    The Good: smells fresh, clean, sweet but not too sweet and inoffensive.
    The Bad: It is very common and recognizable.
    Overall: A solid choice on its merits alone, however you might know someone else who wears it and wears too much of it.

03 March, 2014

dreese's avatar

Polo Blue is certainly a polarizing scent, and I have to say that I agree with all of the comments, because I have felt all of them while wearing it; there are times it feels crisp, fresh, and sophisticated, and then there are times it comes across as cloying, synthetic, overly strong, and I feel shame at wearing it. I have come to the opinion that body chemistry and mood play a large role in its wearing. Also, I have noticed times when the cucumber lays on top of the scent (bad) as well as times when the cucumber lies in the middle (good). My overall review is a solid neutral and I would not purchase it again. My recommendations for "blue" scents include Bulgari Blu, Gap No. 655, Bleu de Chanel, and Samba Ice.

24 December, 2013

EdCSplash's avatar

GENERIC AQUATIC CRAP. Perhaps the worst.

chemically engineered blue note aquatic wannabe mess.

smells like a very cheap poor imitation of a million other "blue" aquatics

a bitter disappointment considering that one would imagine a name like polo to deliver something less horrid

BOTH beverly hills polo club and adidas moves are better, and both are ultra entry level aquatics with no distinction

the top note is a rancid sharp laundry detergent like abomination followed by a nasty drydown

failure. AVOID.

1.5/5

Pros: none. this is a waste of money
    Cons: HORRIBLE nostril piercing unpleasant sharp top note. overpriced considering there are 1000+ aquatics out there that smell better"

11th July, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar

This one is my favorite of the Polo line (unfortunately that isn't saying much). The melon and cucumber definitely gives it a good crispness right off the bat, and that combination is usually one of my favorite smells. It turns to citrus pretty quickly, and leaves behind all the aspects which would make me like it.

To sum it up, it is intriguing at first but turns into a very run-of-the-mill aquatic within minutes.

23 April, 2013

colognedrinker's avatar

Well this isn't that bad. There is Fresh Cucumber which is the most noticeable. But kind of synthetic. The 3 notes are exactly the as noted. It's very strong and pungent which can be offensive to some. Not bad fragrance. Not the best.

19 March, 2013

Mattybono's avatar

Polo Blue is a wonderful, clean, crisp scent that is worth every penny! However....(and this is true for nearly all Ralph Lauren frags) the atomizers that come on these bottles are very sub-par sprayer's (wide, puffy, weak spray pattern) an therefore you're probably getting only half of the juice that you might think you are applying! This fact could lead one to assume that the product is weak or not performing well.

For a clean aquatic, I find this to last a good 6-7 hours on average which is very acceptable!

Can't go wrong with Blue, just make sure you apply it correctly and it just might be great for everyday use or even signature scent! (8/10)

21st January, 2013

RobbieX's avatar

Gorgeous, fresh soapy and fruity. A bit like Davidoff Game but less fruit. Love it!

10th November, 2012

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

This is terrible. I was hoping that something might be wrong with the tester but it turns out the tester was fine. Synthetic mess is the best description of this fragrance and there's nothing else to add about it.

18 October, 2012

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

A stew of every cliche you can think of. Absolutely no unexpected, interesting or novel notes. Just a big, goofy, happy Golden retriever of a fragrance.

04 October, 2012

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

It dries down pretty quickly on my skin. A fresh fruity scent which is categorized as aromatic-fougere.

I get a very pleasant combination of cucumber-melon contrasted against a base of woods and suede; and aromatic herbs play perfectly to fill the gaps and provide one of the best fresh scents produced by a mainstream house.

I don't wear it myself due to the fact that it is really over worn! But if it's not a big deal for you, then give it a try!

It has good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

17 July, 2012

stackcritic's avatar

My first cologne and the first one that stood out to me! I love this smell and it lasts literally all day

03 June, 2012

paolo_alcantara's avatar

Philippine Philippine

My favorite stage is actually the opening one, where in my skin, the spices are most predominant. After about 5 hours, this scent slowly turns quite sourish (probably a bit too much for my tastes) and synthetic. Anyway, this is a good daily scent, preferably for daytime wear as I can't imagine wearing this in the evening; I actually prefer Cool Water over this for the same purpose. Polo Blue lasts 7-10 hours on my skin by the way...

10th April, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

There was once a man that I was very keen on. For years I lusted after him, until one drunken night, I let my feelings show and ended up going home with him. Polo Blue was the fragrance he wore that particular night.

I remember feeling intoxicated by its aroma, (in a good way). It was fresh, watery, a little citrusy and a touch herbaceous. Despite the fact that he was already a sexy looking guy, this fragrance made him all the more appealing.

This scent is youthful, yet masculine. It has a somewhat soapy edge that tends to become powdery as the fragrance develops.

While some dislike the dominant cucumber note, I rather enjoyed it. I used to have a sample of Polo Red, White and Blue, and in some ways, these two fragrances are similar.

This fragrance seems really suited to the young, sporty types. Unfortunately after my night with the man in question, we never saw each other again, so in some ways this fragrance has become less attractive in my eyes, just like CK's Eternity did after a two year relationship ended.

Polo Blue, although very pleasant, has shocking lasting power. I was a little disappointed to find it lasting no more than four hours. Every now and then I'll spritz this fragrance on to a piece of card to remember him, and everytime I do, I keep thinking how fresh, comforting, Summery and sporty this fragrance is.

04 April, 2012

Echo777's avatar

Sweet, smooth blue cucumber moves into tomato sauce with basil.

After the initial, synthetic noise dies down. It gets better, but it's still very synthetic all the way through.

I keep coming back to this, trying to like it, or at least give it a neutral rating. No can do.

Perhaps it's niche that's ruined me on this stuff (or saved me from, rather), but mainstream safe and synthetic has reached its nadir here, except for save Hugo Boss' offerings.

Try Aramis Life, Kenzo PH, Big Pony #1, or Polo Red, White and Blue. Or Carre d'as.

17 March, 2012

srmd22's avatar

Smells fruity and a little sour on me. Not terrible, might wear it for the gym or out door activity. Terrible projection, longevity is a few hours. Not a thumbs down, but not recommended, as your money is much better spent elsewhere.

10th March, 2012

Musicman1810's avatar

I have owned several Polo fragrances over the years and have always been disappointed with their longevity. Polo Blue is no exception. I like the fragrance a lot, just as I have liked the others but it just doesn't last very long. if I invest in a cologne I want it to have a decent longevity. Nice scent but I won't buy it again because it simply doesn't last.

18 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Think of the scent of the standard Polo colognes, as well as a few of the others, but with aquatic notes and a melon note.

It initially starts with fruity top notes, but dries into a spicy scent similar to the original Polo (while still keeping its aquatic scent).

It is overall pleasing and highly recommended.

7.5/10

04 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2012)

Caiçara's avatar

Brazil Brazil

First of all, I live in a tropical weather region, in a beach city. I've been using Polo Blue for almost three years, everytime I can.

Well, I really don't understand why people say it has poor longetivity, because it lasts 6 hours on me at least. Maybe my body chemistry?

Sillage is not good, in order to smell it you have to be close to the wearer - but sometimes that's what you really want to happen when you wear a fragrance, right?

The fragrance by itself is great! It is deep, but not overwhelming. Women really love it and they will remember the scent when they smell it again.

Big thumbs up. I really like it and everyone around me too.

17 January, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Polo Blue starts with a very bright and evident cucumber note associated with a fresh melon leaving a semi-sweet fruity aroma that basically means summer time! Lovely aroma if I may say. I must say that I do get a slight salty vibe with this particular fragrance but nothing annoying like in Sean John Unforgivable. Here things are in the right dose leaving as with a very good background.

Anyway, a very good summer signature scent which smells great but lacks a little bit of longevity.

28 December, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren - One is itinially treated to a fruity melange of melons, cucumber and tangerine; the sweetness thereof diluted by the watery freshness and somewhat medicinal flavor of the cucumber. This appealing opening meanders to the perky middle. Here, light piney sage, sweet, anise-like basil and bitter geranium stew with the freshness of the opening, imparting some pep to the lackadaisical fruitiness. The brewing spicy heart is beckoned by the signature base. A confluence of soft, leather suede, sweet amber wood, heady patchouli, velvety moss and sheer musk subsumes the spicy fruits, and carries the composition to its green drydown. This ho-hum composition has poor longevity - lasting 4-5 hours, and poor projection - 2 hours at most.

05 December, 2011

Wise Owl's avatar

Sweet and clean, but very weak and watery as well which is a shame as I really wanted to like this one. It's interesting that this was created by the same person who created the original Polo too as Polo Blue seems to be the exact polar opposite of the powerhouse original. Unfortunately though despite the interesting fragrance notes this really is nothing special.

25 September, 2011

tutu1234's avatar

Polo Blue is versatile, long lasting and have good silage. I would suggest everyone to use it conservatively. It's pretty linear fragrance wise not too many changes in notes even at the dry down phase. All in all its a strong fresh fragrance for everyday use. It's sophisticated in it own way and projects really well on my skin! damn fresh and women love it....works for me.....a must try.......8/10.

24 September, 2011

Darvant's avatar

A surely better concoction (not hard to be) than Bvlgari Blu Pour Homme, which is a synthetic bath foam,a less metallic and shadowy creation than the better performed Chanel Blue Pour Homme, an even more fruity scent than the mediocre Dolce e Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme, a far in craftsmanship fragrance from the surely superior elements of the series Blu Mediterraneo Acqua di Parma and finally an easy composition as Nel Blu dipinto di blu (Volare) by Domenico Modugno, this light weight aquatic is a poor in persistence juice based on the combination of fruits ( a lot of, cucumber and melon the stars, orange the princess), green notes and woodsy ambery elements. It's refreshing and deep in its intensely orangy temperament but ends to become boring and common in its widespread mossy-ambery-rooty-earthy dry down. Aquatic bore. Far better creations are Bvlgari Aqua, Fico di Amalfi, Kenzo  Pour Homme, Aria di mare by Il Profvmo and the experimental Coney Island Bond (genial the struggle between gourmand and tart-sour notes). Polo Blue is close to the skin and turns out for a while.

19 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2011)

HouseofCreed's avatar

It has an ok smell, the cucumber note makes it very interesting. however I must give this fragrance a thumbs down because it lasted 10 minutes on me max.

18 August, 2011

drseid's avatar

Very synthetic, generic and disappointing. I really have nothing much more to say about it, except it smells like just about every other safe aquatic scent out today with the addition of a cucumber note to the same old, same old mix. It won't offend anyone, but it is unlikely to impress either... certainly not me. I don't mind Polo Blue, but I wish I wouldn't have bought it. I recommend sticking to the original green bottle Polo which is a much, much better scent. 2.5 stars out of 5.

27 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

photographerdan's avatar

If I had rated this a couple of years ago I probably would have given it a thumbs up but as of late I don't really see myself liking it as much anymore.

Maybe it has been played out, maybe my taste has changed but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. The notes are just as described on the directory but this polo blue towards the second half of it's lifespan really ends up turning into a sweet musky CHOCOLATE scent and this is actually my favorite part. What you spray is very fitting towards it's label but what you end up with after a few hours has gone by is something that could be sprayed from a brown bottle.

Is it bad? No, the longevity is simply amazing and it goes beyong having a basenote as it transforms into another scent altogether. This cologne will keep on projecting well into the next day, you will smell it on the shirt even a day or two later I kid you not so be prepared to stick with it for a looong time once you have it sprayed once.

28 June, 2011

sasqwer's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

This kind of fragrances is such a waste of money, go, and look around. I can't sand these ,,safe buys"- boring and dull. I like only the cucumber opening. There is nothing more to it.

21st June, 2011

wannabe connoisseur's avatar

It might not be a classic but it definitely seems to be popular; I was also rather offput by the fact that my close friend's boyfriend and father, my girlfriend's father, my friend's cousin, and my... etc. You get the point. I'm probably just in a minority or am trapped by (un)lucky coincidence.

Polo Blue is probably the safest blue/aquatic fragrance I've ever used or smelled, and for good reason. It does not offend, is agreeable, and smells good. In the same vein it lacks any particularly risky or daring notes, except maybe the leather dry-down, and that's probably only because it's not such a popular scent as it was in years past (unless I'm wrong). The top notes are my favorite; it's a sweet and sour note, almost like citrus. I'd assume this is the cucumber, since I can't say I've smelled that note anywhere else. It's not too sweet but it is very pleasant and lasts a pretty long time in comparison with other fragrances, before it begins to transition into the middle and base notes. The sillage is, again, nothing short of agreeable. You can't smell it from across a room but it does leave a nice aroma in the wake of a passersby or during a friendly conversation.

It's probably one of the more common RL scents, and there's nothing wrong with that. I only wish it lasted a bit longer and wasn't as common, and maybe wasn't as drab.

14 April, 2011

apayne182's avatar

Good, a little different than the status quo in terms of aquatics. however, once my decant runs out, i do not see myself repurchasing it unless i just need a really safe and pleasant summer scent. i do not often reach for my little decant anyway. the longevity is rather poor and projection is not very strong as well

26 March, 2011

shamu1's avatar

I'm really lukewarm about Polo Blue. There are occasionally days I wear this when I want something different from what I normally wear, but there are a lot of days when I can't even stand the mere thought of Polo Blue.

Overall, Polo Blue is another generic, dull-as-toast woody citrus scent. Putting cucumber in this was an interesting idea, but it doesn't add a lot to the fragrance, and it makes it smell harsh and biting, in a bad way. The cucumber ends up being a gimmick, and Polo Blue has little if anything else to separate itself from hundreds of other boring designer masculines. Calvin Klein MAN, L'Eau d'Issey Intense, Mr. Blass, etc. all smell a lot like this.

However, on the days I'm in the mood for this, it does satisfy. There's a freshness to it that can be invigorating, and the cucumber, wood and citrus lift the spirits. There's patchouli in this too, and it's interesting to smell this note in the context of a fresh fragrance, rather than some slamming powerhouse.

The problem is that I'm rarely in the mood to wear Polo Blue. Nice dry woody drydown, though.

MY RATING: 6/10

19 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2011)