Negative Reviews of Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

EdCSplash's avatar

GENERIC AQUATIC CRAP. Perhaps the worst.

chemically engineered blue note aquatic wannabe mess.

smells like a very cheap poor imitation of a million other "blue" aquatics

a bitter disappointment considering that one would imagine a name like polo to deliver something less horrid

BOTH beverly hills polo club and adidas moves are better, and both are ultra entry level aquatics with no distinction

the top note is a rancid sharp laundry detergent like abomination followed by a nasty drydown

failure. AVOID.

1.5/5

Pros: none. this is a waste of money
    Cons: HORRIBLE nostril piercing unpleasant sharp top note. overpriced considering there are 1000+ aquatics out there that smell better"

11th July, 2013

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

This is terrible. I was hoping that something might be wrong with the tester but it turns out the tester was fine. Synthetic mess is the best description of this fragrance and there's nothing else to add about it.

18 October, 2012

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

A stew of every cliche you can think of. Absolutely no unexpected, interesting or novel notes. Just a big, goofy, happy Golden retriever of a fragrance.

04 October, 2012

Echo777's avatar

Sweet, smooth blue cucumber moves into tomato sauce with basil.

After the initial, synthetic noise dies down. It gets better, but it's still very synthetic all the way through.

I keep coming back to this, trying to like it, or at least give it a neutral rating. No can do.

Perhaps it's niche that's ruined me on this stuff (or saved me from, rather), but mainstream safe and synthetic has reached its nadir here, except for save Hugo Boss' offerings.

Try Aramis Life, Kenzo PH, Big Pony #1, or Polo Red, White and Blue. Or Carre d'as.

17 March, 2012

Wise Owl's avatar

Sweet and clean, but very weak and watery as well which is a shame as I really wanted to like this one. It's interesting that this was created by the same person who created the original Polo too as Polo Blue seems to be the exact polar opposite of the powerhouse original. Unfortunately though despite the interesting fragrance notes this really is nothing special.

25 September, 2011

Darvant's avatar

A surely better concoction (not hard to be) than Bvlgari Blu Pour Homme, which is a synthetic bath foam,a less metallic and shadowy creation than the better performed Chanel Blue Pour Homme, an even more fruity scent than the mediocre Dolce e Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme, a far in craftsmanship fragrance from the surely superior elements of the series Blu Mediterraneo Acqua di Parma and finally an easy composition as Nel Blu dipinto di blu (Volare) by Domenico Modugno, this light weight aquatic is a poor in persistence juice based on the combination of fruits ( a lot of, cucumber and melon the stars, orange the princess), green notes and woodsy ambery elements. It's refreshing and deep in its intensely orangy temperament but ends to become boring and common in its widespread mossy-ambery-rooty-earthy dry down. Aquatic bore. Far better creations are Bvlgari Aqua, Fico di Amalfi, Kenzo  Pour Homme, Aria di mare by Il Profvmo and the experimental Coney Island Bond (genial the struggle between gourmand and tart-sour notes). Polo Blue is close to the skin and turns out for a while.

19 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2011)

HouseofCreed's avatar

It has an ok smell, the cucumber note makes it very interesting. however I must give this fragrance a thumbs down because it lasted 10 minutes on me max.

18 August, 2011

sasqwer's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

This kind of fragrances is such a waste of money, go, and look around. I can't sand these ,,safe buys"- boring and dull. I like only the cucumber opening. There is nothing more to it.

21st June, 2011

Sunsetspawn's avatar

The opening is wonderful. It's very smooth and watery, quite blue," with a sweet-ish cucumber note. Reminds me of walking along the beach in the early evening, a slight breeze blowing, next to a blue ocean...

...and then some jackass runs up and hits me in the face with a pizza."

- Shaheen

This review sums up my feelings EXACTLY. The basil note is atrocious and loud. I suppose the only thing I can add is that it's also plastic-y. I remember trying this many years ago before I met basenotes, and when I finally did read the reviews here the pizza comment really stuck out (because it was spot on). Now I've tried Polo Blue yet again, and it has that same, off putting smell just dominating the entire fragrance. I've heard that Polo Explorer may be discontinued, and that's a damn shame when drek like Blue is taking up valuable counter space. RL has some good offerings, but this ain't one of 'em.

10th September, 2010

Bartlebooth's avatar

This is quite a sour production, not really improved by the inclusion of some rather abrasive notes in the middle phase. The opening is fresh enough, but it feels two dimensional, and lacking in balance. The top of the pyramid is probably more suited to a fruit salad than a fragrance, but it could still have been developed better than this. It has little stamina, and it projects its rather dull production in a very feeble manner. Not in the least commendable.

12 October, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Obviously targeted at novices, this is a real letdown from RL. Even Polo Sport has more personality.

19 August, 2009

Adama's avatar

Smells really nice and fresh initially, but that only lasts for a few minutes. After the top-notes are gone, it smells like old paper. I really wanted to like it because of the initial burst.

09 April, 2009

dynastyd95's avatar

I don't know what it is, but I just don't like this scent. I felt like it would be right up my alley, but its just annoying. It gives me a headache, I think it may be the cucumber note. Its like spicy cucumber or something. I'll pass.

04 April, 2009

Singinghound's avatar

My first experience of an American was a guy at my prep school. He had the stupidest name, and I can't repeat it here verbatim because it'll surely identify him, but let's call him Windy. Suffice it to say that Windy coloured my opinion of Americans for about 20 years, until I went there on business and discovered that the only reason he'd turned up in London was because he was too awful for over there.

Polo Blue is Windy in a bottle. Citrusy salady fresh and uni-dimensional. Unsubtle, juvenile, rude and a bit fat. And like Windy, I bet it's doing extremely well...

29 March, 2009

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

ummmm .... cucumber ..... i thought i will love this scent ...but unfortunately not ... i sprayed this on a strip .... the cucumber is dominant .... i dont really like .... i would go for giveny blue if i had to choose a blue scent .....

31st January, 2009

Shaheen's avatar

The opening is wonderful. It's very smooth and watery, quite "blue," with a sweet-ish cucumber note. Reminds me of walking along the beach in the early evening, a slight breeze blowing, next to a blue ocean...

...and then some jackass runs up and hits me in the face with a pizza.

Uh, who thought it would be a good idea for such a blue, watery, aquatic fragrance like this to dry down to basil? Basil! As in the type of basil you keep in your spice cabinet that you use to make pizza or Italian spaghetti.

This dry-down is just gross, and completely ruins what would have been a great fragrance.

Someone at Ralph Lauren needs to be fired. Or beaten. Or both.

30th August, 2008

darfoo's avatar

This just smells very generic to me, it reminds me of a time when men's aftershave was generic and everyone had basically the same scent. The fragrance is harsh on my nose, the "fresh" scent reminding me more of something very astringent and biting.

12 August, 2008

bbBD's avatar

I want to like it, and sometimes I do for a few minutes at a time. The 'fresh' notes are overwhelming...it's overpowering. Melon notes are mixed with green notes, but they enhance each other instead of balancing each other. Although I generally like aquatic/fresh scents, and although I generally like RL offerings, Blue is just too synthetic smelling to be enjoyable.

23 June, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

A generic, diluted, commonplace and watery clone. (Did I mince any words?)

08 January, 2008

gkgreen's avatar

Holy headache monster. After 10 minutes I had to jump in the shower in the middle of the day. Got up the courage to do it again a few days later and same effect. Not sure what it was, but I can't say I could recommend to anyone.

25 December, 2007

ubuandibeme's avatar

Honestly, I have a reed diffuser from Pier One Imports in an aqua scent that smells exactly like this Polo Blue. I like it as a bathroom air freshener, but not on my man!

30th May, 2007

fusion's avatar

Very boring scent the worst of the Polo brand

18 April, 2007

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Too generic, too simple and so, too expensive for its qualities. It is very fresh and then converts into something between basil and metal.

26 January, 2007

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Polo Blue = Echo (davidoff)+ Cucumber. one of the cheapest smell.

26 September, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

What a disspointment!.
    On first spray smell just lovely, very aquatic and fresh, citric and very melonny YUMMY, but after half an hour, just nothing, the fragrance dissapear from your skin and nothing remains.
    Bold.
    If you fancy something really fresh aquatic and obiously more long lasting, check out L'eau par Kenzo, Issey Miyake Bleue Frais, Quasar. There´s something on them special, high recommended if you like to feel different.

30th August, 2006

Polo Blue has a nice fresh smell…it is clean and inviting, and that cucumber note is refreshing and clear in a vegetable sort of way. I like its fragrance better than several of the other aquatics, but I really don’t care too much for most of the other aquatics anyway. Polo Blue is really lacking in potency and projection: I have to concentrate a little to even smell it, and I’m not very rewarded for my effort. Its longevity is farcical. What I really don’t like about it, though, is that it shouldn’t have been named after a classic like Polo, it’s not in the same league.

29 August, 2006

Ymer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Yet another generic fresh scent. This feels really cheap. Doesn't last long, either. It was such a letdown.

24 August, 2006

gator's avatar

Not a fan, smeels like everything else out there. Try looking for something better

23 December, 2005

castorpollux's avatar

It's a tipical men's cologne. I didn't like it at all. oh and it's not really "aquatic".

12 December, 2005

dymitchell's avatar

It does have a somewhat plesant scent when you first put it on. A few seconds later it's completely gone. Polo Blue has virtually no lasting power.

10th December, 2005