Neutral Reviews of Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

dreese's avatar

Polo Blue is certainly a polarizing scent, and I have to say that I agree with all of the comments, because I have felt all of them while wearing it; there are times it feels crisp, fresh, and sophisticated, and then there are times it comes across as cloying, synthetic, overly strong, and I feel shame at wearing it. I have come to the opinion that body chemistry and mood play a large role in its wearing. Also, I have noticed times when the cucumber lays on top of the scent (bad) as well as times when the cucumber lies in the middle (good). My overall review is a solid neutral and I would not purchase it again. My recommendations for "blue" scents include Bulgari Blu, Gap No. 655, Bleu de Chanel, and Samba Ice.

24 December, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar

This one is my favorite of the Polo line (unfortunately that isn't saying much). The melon and cucumber definitely gives it a good crispness right off the bat, and that combination is usually one of my favorite smells. It turns to citrus pretty quickly, and leaves behind all the aspects which would make me like it.

To sum it up, it is intriguing at first but turns into a very run-of-the-mill aquatic within minutes.

23 April, 2013

colognedrinker's avatar

Well this isn't that bad. There is Fresh Cucumber which is the most noticeable. But kind of synthetic. The 3 notes are exactly the as noted. It's very strong and pungent which can be offensive to some. Not bad fragrance. Not the best.

19 March, 2013

paolo_alcantara's avatar

Philippine Philippine

My favorite stage is actually the opening one, where in my skin, the spices are most predominant. After about 5 hours, this scent slowly turns quite sourish (probably a bit too much for my tastes) and synthetic. Anyway, this is a good daily scent, preferably for daytime wear as I can't imagine wearing this in the evening; I actually prefer Cool Water over this for the same purpose. Polo Blue lasts 7-10 hours on my skin by the way...

10th April, 2012

srmd22's avatar

Smells fruity and a little sour on me. Not terrible, might wear it for the gym or out door activity. Terrible projection, longevity is a few hours. Not a thumbs down, but not recommended, as your money is much better spent elsewhere.

10th March, 2012

Musicman1810's avatar

I have owned several Polo fragrances over the years and have always been disappointed with their longevity. Polo Blue is no exception. I like the fragrance a lot, just as I have liked the others but it just doesn't last very long. if I invest in a cologne I want it to have a decent longevity. Nice scent but I won't buy it again because it simply doesn't last.

18 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2012)

dollars&scents's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren - One is itinially treated to a fruity melange of melons, cucumber and tangerine; the sweetness thereof diluted by the watery freshness and somewhat medicinal flavor of the cucumber. This appealing opening meanders to the perky middle. Here, light piney sage, sweet, anise-like basil and bitter geranium stew with the freshness of the opening, imparting some pep to the lackadaisical fruitiness. The brewing spicy heart is beckoned by the signature base. A confluence of soft, leather suede, sweet amber wood, heady patchouli, velvety moss and sheer musk subsumes the spicy fruits, and carries the composition to its green drydown. This ho-hum composition has poor longevity - lasting 4-5 hours, and poor projection - 2 hours at most.

05 December, 2011

drseid's avatar

Very synthetic, generic and disappointing. I really have nothing much more to say about it, except it smells like just about every other safe aquatic scent out today with the addition of a cucumber note to the same old, same old mix. It won't offend anyone, but it is unlikely to impress either... certainly not me. I don't mind Polo Blue, but I wish I wouldn't have bought it. I recommend sticking to the original green bottle Polo which is a much, much better scent. 2.5 stars out of 5.

27 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

photographerdan's avatar

If I had rated this a couple of years ago I probably would have given it a thumbs up but as of late I don't really see myself liking it as much anymore.

Maybe it has been played out, maybe my taste has changed but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. The notes are just as described on the directory but this polo blue towards the second half of it's lifespan really ends up turning into a sweet musky CHOCOLATE scent and this is actually my favorite part. What you spray is very fitting towards it's label but what you end up with after a few hours has gone by is something that could be sprayed from a brown bottle.

Is it bad? No, the longevity is simply amazing and it goes beyong having a basenote as it transforms into another scent altogether. This cologne will keep on projecting well into the next day, you will smell it on the shirt even a day or two later I kid you not so be prepared to stick with it for a looong time once you have it sprayed once.

28 June, 2011

wannabe connoisseur's avatar

It might not be a classic but it definitely seems to be popular; I was also rather offput by the fact that my close friend's boyfriend and father, my girlfriend's father, my friend's cousin, and my... etc. You get the point. I'm probably just in a minority or am trapped by (un)lucky coincidence.

Polo Blue is probably the safest blue/aquatic fragrance I've ever used or smelled, and for good reason. It does not offend, is agreeable, and smells good. In the same vein it lacks any particularly risky or daring notes, except maybe the leather dry-down, and that's probably only because it's not such a popular scent as it was in years past (unless I'm wrong). The top notes are my favorite; it's a sweet and sour note, almost like citrus. I'd assume this is the cucumber, since I can't say I've smelled that note anywhere else. It's not too sweet but it is very pleasant and lasts a pretty long time in comparison with other fragrances, before it begins to transition into the middle and base notes. The sillage is, again, nothing short of agreeable. You can't smell it from across a room but it does leave a nice aroma in the wake of a passersby or during a friendly conversation.

It's probably one of the more common RL scents, and there's nothing wrong with that. I only wish it lasted a bit longer and wasn't as common, and maybe wasn't as drab.

14 April, 2011

apayne182's avatar

Good, a little different than the status quo in terms of aquatics. however, once my decant runs out, i do not see myself repurchasing it unless i just need a really safe and pleasant summer scent. i do not often reach for my little decant anyway. the longevity is rather poor and projection is not very strong as well

26 March, 2011

shamu1's avatar

I'm really lukewarm about Polo Blue. There are occasionally days I wear this when I want something different from what I normally wear, but there are a lot of days when I can't even stand the mere thought of Polo Blue.

Overall, Polo Blue is another generic, dull-as-toast woody citrus scent. Putting cucumber in this was an interesting idea, but it doesn't add a lot to the fragrance, and it makes it smell harsh and biting, in a bad way. The cucumber ends up being a gimmick, and Polo Blue has little if anything else to separate itself from hundreds of other boring designer masculines. Calvin Klein MAN, L'Eau d'Issey Intense, Mr. Blass, etc. all smell a lot like this.

However, on the days I'm in the mood for this, it does satisfy. There's a freshness to it that can be invigorating, and the cucumber, wood and citrus lift the spirits. There's patchouli in this too, and it's interesting to smell this note in the context of a fresh fragrance, rather than some slamming powerhouse.

The problem is that I'm rarely in the mood to wear Polo Blue. Nice dry woody drydown, though.

MY RATING: 6/10

19 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

This would be better without the cucumber.

15 October, 2010

LiveJazz's avatar

It's not bad. I like the cucumber note in the opening, but I get bored with it much too quickly, and it fades in a snap. Well made for its type, I suppose, but I have no desire to buy it or test it further.

13 August, 2010

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Ok I tried this on at a friends home. This smells promising coming out of the bottle. So I spray some on my wrist, goes on pleasant, not great. As it begins to dry all I smell is this cucumber note lingering thru the whole frag. It is very off putting. I cant get into that as I find cucumber notes to be not so good. I will say for a polo scent this is better than alot of there offerings, but it is nothing spectacular. It gets a neutral rating from me, more so on the negative side but still inbetween. There are MUCH better aquatics out there than this.

29 June, 2010

Esquire's avatar

Pleasant but too artificial and fades away quite quickly!

14 May, 2010

robeverliving's avatar

A very nice, fresh fragrance. Nothing too special about it. It's common but that doesn't mean it's bad. It does smell of watermelon and then goes into a very cucumber dry-down. If you're obsessed with Polo Sport, this might be an upgrade.

12 February, 2010

Smeghead's avatar

A fairly pleasant and fresh fragrance, but that cucumber really just lingers throughout. No depth whatsoever.

17 October, 2009

cjkamm's avatar

A sharp alcohol beginning, fades to a fresh scent, with powdery under tones. I don't smell any of the friuty notes, I get more of the musk, and amber in the dry down. A youthful scent. The original Polo in the green bottle is still my favorite of the RL collection.

17 July, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

This is really odd – I actually kind of like this one. It’s odd because I usually don’t care about these kind of scents that much (without some exceptions) – It’s odd also because there I reviewers putting this down on heavy hand; reviewers I usually tend to agree with.

Okay, it’s not that exciting or special, but to my nose it is blended better than average juices of this kind and you know what; it lasts on me very well.

Fresh, subtle and natural smell of green fields and flowing cool rivers.

Nice, but I must give a neutral rating after all for a reasons that its true that there are much better scents of this category available plus I wouldn’t never buy myself a bottle of this.

Still, very acceptable flanker for original Polo.

15 February, 2009

MFJ's avatar

Now this surprisingly does not smell very aquatic, though solely looking at the list of notes could easily convince anyone otherwise. I would give it credit for not smelling like your typical calone-saturated marine scents. It is a little powdery, soapy and has an old school/dated vibe to it.

16 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

This is a light, linear and watery type musky fragrance that is well worth price at a discount.

15 June, 2008

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Nothing is wrong with this cologne.
    Nothing out of place, or too strong.
    It's simple, clean, and fresh.
    Matches the bottle and color. No more.
    Dunhill Fresh I think still has an edge on Polo Blue, as top of the "Plain Blue" Colognes.
    On the good side of neutral for simplicity.

01st November, 2007

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Polo Blue mellow fougere/aquatic/slight spicy = mild little pony.

Not a stallion, like Green.

Polo black has a more aquatic rotten mellon top and blue has a more pleasant cucumbery yet still slightly aquatic top. The middle and base blend together into a very pleasant frag that tries to have personality but falls short due to its disapointing silage and stay.

Overall, I like it, could not justify paying a premium cost, as I just cannot put into the same category as Safari and/or Green. I guess I would pay 20 cents on the dollar for this frag.

19 February, 2007

Arti's avatar

This is my first cologne, I got it as a gift. I liked it at first, but I stopped liking it even before I started getting into scents (in fact, it may have partially spurred me to start looking at others). It's very woodsy. Decent smell, but it's very ho hum.

07 January, 2007

QuietEarth's avatar

Nice smell, woodsy and dry, but doesn't last all that long. Not quite as "cotton-candy fluff" as Polo Sport. Slightly more refined and - dare I say it - complex! Is that the right word? Perhaps it's just not overtly waving around such a big, coloured flag as "Sport". It's sitting further back from the front row, in a nice tweed jacket, holding one of those little plastic flags you get in exotic cocktails. But you could very easily not even notice it. Again, like "Sport" it lacks a little definition, some potency and sillage, but in its favour, it is slightly more refined. I would consider wearing this one out to a party or social occasion. But only if I wasn't required to stay more than five minutes. I own it, but I think you could do better.

04 May, 2006

The_Giraffe's avatar

Fresh, nice, and there is nothing offensive about it. Sounds good, right? NO, cuz it is really boring and doesn't last very long. there are MUCH better fresh choices out there. On the other hand, you could do worse. I say keep lookin'.

25 February, 2006

Legends's avatar

Yeah it is nice- but Polo Black is much better, especially if you like this. Longer lasting too.

19 February, 2006

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

This is almost a good scent. It’s not a standout sexy smell and the top notes are so overpowering. However, the dry down on it was nasty on me and fades after 20 minutes. The dry down is very weak so be prepared to carry the bottle everywhere with you if you want maximum effect. Polo Blue it’s not a bad fragrance but I prefer Bvlgari Blv.

09 February, 2006

scenteur7's avatar

Oh, please.

Yes, it smells nice...nice for a 14 year old's first cologne.

16 January, 2006