Positive Reviews of Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

NOiDONThaveBO's avatar

This was my signature scent when I was about 19. The ad campaign with its nautical theme along with the blue bottle attracted me and I remember buying it without much hesitation. The scent is nice. It is soothing and sweet. It gives the impression of fresh cleanliness with a smell that is reminiscent of some soaps. It makes you smell like you just showered. It projects very strongly and will stay with you all day so I recommend not over-applying.
    The Good: smells fresh, clean, sweet but not too sweet and inoffensive.
    The Bad: It is very common and recognizable.
    Overall: A solid choice on its merits alone, however you might know someone else who wears it and wears too much of it.

03rd March, 2014

Mattybono's avatar

Polo Blue is a wonderful, clean, crisp scent that is worth every penny! However....(and this is true for nearly all Ralph Lauren frags) the atomizers that come on these bottles are very sub-par sprayer's (wide, puffy, weak spray pattern) an therefore you're probably getting only half of the juice that you might think you are applying! This fact could lead one to assume that the product is weak or not performing well.

For a clean aquatic, I find this to last a good 6-7 hours on average which is very acceptable!

Can't go wrong with Blue, just make sure you apply it correctly and it just might be great for everyday use or even signature scent! (8/10)

21st January, 2013

RobbieX's avatar

Gorgeous, fresh soapy and fruity. A bit like Davidoff Game but less fruit. Love it!

10th November, 2012

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

It dries down pretty quickly on my skin. A fresh fruity scent which is categorized as aromatic-fougere.

I get a very pleasant combination of cucumber-melon contrasted against a base of woods and suede; and aromatic herbs play perfectly to fill the gaps and provide one of the best fresh scents produced by a mainstream house.

I don't wear it myself due to the fact that it is really over worn! But if it's not a big deal for you, then give it a try!

It has good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

17th July, 2012

stackcritic's avatar

My first cologne and the first one that stood out to me! I love this smell and it lasts literally all day

03rd June, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

There was once a man that I was very keen on. For years I lusted after him, until one drunken night, I let my feelings show and ended up going home with him. Polo Blue was the fragrance he wore that particular night.

I remember feeling intoxicated by its aroma, (in a good way). It was fresh, watery, a little citrusy and a touch herbaceous. Despite the fact that he was already a sexy looking guy, this fragrance made him all the more appealing.

This scent is youthful, yet masculine. It has a somewhat soapy edge that tends to become powdery as the fragrance develops.

While some dislike the dominant cucumber note, I rather enjoyed it. I used to have a sample of Polo Red, White and Blue, and in some ways, these two fragrances are similar.

This fragrance seems really suited to the young, sporty types. Unfortunately after my night with the man in question, we never saw each other again, so in some ways this fragrance has become less attractive in my eyes, just like CK's Eternity did after a two year relationship ended.

Polo Blue, although very pleasant, has shocking lasting power. I was a little disappointed to find it lasting no more than four hours. Every now and then I'll spritz this fragrance on to a piece of card to remember him, and everytime I do, I keep thinking how fresh, comforting, Summery and sporty this fragrance is.

04th April, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Think of the scent of the standard Polo colognes, as well as a few of the others, but with aquatic notes and a melon note.

It initially starts with fruity top notes, but dries into a spicy scent similar to the original Polo (while still keeping its aquatic scent).

It is overall pleasing and highly recommended.

7.5/10

04th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th May, 2012)

Caiçara's avatar

Brazil Brazil

First of all, I live in a tropical weather region, in a beach city. I've been using Polo Blue for almost three years, everytime I can.

Well, I really don't understand why people say it has poor longetivity, because it lasts 6 hours on me at least. Maybe my body chemistry?

Sillage is not good, in order to smell it you have to be close to the wearer - but sometimes that's what you really want to happen when you wear a fragrance, right?

The fragrance by itself is great! It is deep, but not overwhelming. Women really love it and they will remember the scent when they smell it again.

Big thumbs up. I really like it and everyone around me too.

17th January, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Polo Blue starts with a very bright and evident cucumber note associated with a fresh melon leaving a semi-sweet fruity aroma that basically means summer time! Lovely aroma if I may say. I must say that I do get a slight salty vibe with this particular fragrance but nothing annoying like in Sean John Unforgivable. Here things are in the right dose leaving as with a very good background.

Anyway, a very good summer signature scent which smells great but lacks a little bit of longevity.

28th December, 2011

tutu1234's avatar

Polo Blue is versatile, long lasting and have good silage. I would suggest everyone to use it conservatively. It's pretty linear fragrance wise not too many changes in notes even at the dry down phase. All in all its a strong fresh fragrance for everyday use. It's sophisticated in it own way and projects really well on my skin! damn fresh and women love it....works for me.....a must try.......8/10.

24th September, 2011

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Polo Blue is a light, aquatic, fresh scent that goes on beautifully, with a nice combination of melon, mandarin, tangerine and cucumber that invokes tranquility and lightness in its well measured and blended makeup.
    The essence of this fragrance is Carlos Benaim's adaptation of Southeastern Asian traditions in using the cucumber in water to lend a light, cool and refreshing feel without overwhelming the essence of the light, aquatic concept. He certainly executes the opening with class and precision. Polo Blue is invigoratingly fresh and though somewhat tried in its formulaic pretensions, serves the wearer looking for something subtle very well indeed. The opening is one of the best in the business, a true magical moment.
    It is only after 10-15 minutes, when the basil begins to push forward and overwhelm the angelic, light-weight opening that things seem a bit off kilter. The basil leans a bit harshly towards the synthetic against the melon and brings out the more sour qualities of the cucumber and leaves the geranium silent and somewhat wasted, bringing some discord.
    Things start equilibrating themselves once the base notes come forth. The base is for many a bit too musky when blended with the suede and woodsy notes, but is quite pleasing regardless, sticking to its watery and light identity.
    Polo Blue is a nice everyday option for those in moderately warm to mild climates and could serve well as a signature scent for the office or in places that require a certain level of subtlety. Its flaws are its lack of projection and longevity, which do tend to rely a great deal on the wearer and the circumstances. One can expect as little as two and as much as six hours but projection beyond the first 15 minutes quickly fades into a skin scent, suitable enough for professional and casual occasions but with no real assertiveness.
    Still, Polo Blue has one of the great aquatic openings in the business and for that certainly deserves our respect and gratitude. But for those looking for a bit more staying power and value, Lacoste Pour Homme does much of the same things Polo Blue intends to, but with far more success and for better value. A nice aquatic nevertheless, but nothing essential beyond the classy packaging, the Ralph Lauren name and the beautiful opening.

19th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th February, 2012)

rainmaker's avatar

For me, this is the perfect scent for summer. I think the cucumber makes it for me. It becomes a very pleasant fresh scent without smelling like a bathroom product or axe deodorant.

12th December, 2010

Chuck18293's avatar

Polo Blue!! It's just GREAT
    I really like this scent a lot, i love it
    Fresh, clean and fruity!
    I like a lot the smell of polo blue a good summer fragance
    The only think I don't like about it it's the longevity
    'Cause sometimes I get 3-4 hours and sometimes 6-7
    But Overall nice scent!
    And It's a fav of the girls
    A really good compliment getter
    I always get compiments qhen i wear it

11th August, 2010

urfliness's avatar

I got my first bottle of Polo blue about 3-4 years ago.I like it but i think it looses it's potency after a while.I was about to run out and I stopped at Ulta on my way into work and the bittle they had on display seemed stringer than the one I had in my possesion.Great fresh frag.My only suggestion is but it in the smalles quantity possible if you really like this(to maintian the potentcy longer).A+

01st June, 2010

poppacooter's avatar

this is the one, the one cologne that smells fresh and inviting and does not give me a migraine, if your looking for a simple but great cologne that is non offensive then this is it. a must sample.
    1.projection = good
    2.versatility = excellent non offensive
    3.lasts 8-10hrs on me
    4. has become my signature scent.
    5.would recommend to a friend.
    6.good for anytime wear... because it's non offensive.
    7.very clean smelling....oh did i mention non offensive.

07th May, 2010

perree's avatar

i thought the smell is a bit strong especially with the melon, however an hour later, it settle to a calm fresh, not aquatic notes now , and that draws a lot of compliments from both guys n girls

i do not care what it is that they liked it, they just said it's so fresh and it ease on their nose, unlike other "charactered" scent that either give em a headache or repel them. Either way, i wear it cause others liked it, rather than the stupid Terre d'hermes where they repel you like you just stepped on dog craps. seriously, what makes Polo Blue good is the result it deliver, not how you perceive it, even though you are really an expert at sniffing and differentiating between a prestigious bottle and cat urine.

03rd March, 2010

fayez188's avatar

I love all the crazy ... It's like a refreshing breeze ... a wonderful creator

15th December, 2009

JDE's avatar

When is an aquatic not an aquatic? When it smells like Polo Blue.
    Slightly dated, oddly sombre cucumber and suede with rubbing alcohol. The mossy base is a really nice touch and quite unexpected considering the rest of the fragrance. I find this lends it a dependable and mature edge, unlike some other "fresh" frags which seem almost throwaway in nature. This is a serious scent for serious people, but because it's quite joyless, I can see why it's not especially popular anymore. I mean, it smells as if it could have come from 1976 rather than the early Noughties - why smell of maudlin leather and cucumber when you can smell of pineapple and calone? Being a young grumpy old fart, I dig that.

Longevity is very good at around 14 hours and the silage is close to the skin rather than scream in your face, which I think is nice for a frag like this. I like the bottle, and the atomiser, like all the Polo frags except Explorer, is very good.
    Oddball, but ace. If it's the kind of thing that's important to you - women seem to really like this.

12th December, 2009

Trapjaw's avatar

I loved this scent. My fav of the (4?) not including the Romance line. I used it fairly quick and had the bottle in the cabinet til a month or so back I took out the bottle which still had a tiny drop in it, ripped the cap and squirter out with a pair of pliers and put it on leaving the bottle on my desk to air out for a week so i could keep smelling it... I think they put cookies in it

10th October, 2009

arabhammerhead's avatar

The cucumber, and mossy scents hit you right away. A casual summery fragrance. Some nice fresh floral scents add to this. Sporty.

15th September, 2009

chamelion's avatar

its excellent and its not only fresh and aquatic and hip, but its got lots of notes and a very complex scent

u get this stuff and u will not likely want to wear anything else it just smells that good

29th August, 2009

Lamp's avatar

This is not my favourite cologne, nonetheless, I can say with out a doubt that I have never received as many compliments with any other cologne as I have with Polo Blue.
    I received it as a gift and thought it smelled nice (it didn’t blow my mind), but for some reason whenever I wore it chicks seemed to dig it.
    So now I’ve grown to love it… can’t argue with results!

08th August, 2009

Pure Francis's avatar

Finland Finland

Very good scent. I think me and Polo Blue will travel a long way together=) I truly feel good with this one on.

16th July, 2009

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Very Clean scent, not the typical acquatic-marine, it is a bit more shall I say romantic-sporty? It reminds me or Romance Silver, but less citrusy. Excellent for office wear. I usually wear Creed GIT for the office, but honestly, I find this one very pleasant, uncomplicated, and rightly priced, and I find that I can easily wear any of them at any given time. Don't bash it based on the old Polo Sport that just like AD'G was worn by the masses and most people with more sophisticated taste began to despise. Those colognes had their own beauty and this one is really good and it has its very own identity. I personally prefer Explorer from the new RL, but still, I cannot understand the real ugly criticism to this very pleasant cologne.

12th June, 2009

jagmartini's avatar

Polo Blue: Fun, fresh, carefree, always a hit with the ladies.

Nothing but compliments from the ladies when I wear this.

My only complaint (my girlfriend shares this viewpoint) is that it smells a little girlie at the end of the day.

07th June, 2009

ProfessorPlum's avatar

I really don't get all of the hate for this fragrance.

It's not really an aquatic and does not have the "watery" smell of an AdG or Bulgari Aqua. Fresh cucumber provides an unique fresh and uplifting start. More musky on the dry-down. It's not my favorite in my collection, but I really enjoy it from time to time. Well worth a try and certainly undeserving of all of the animosity, IMO.

31st May, 2009

camellia-rose's avatar

Polo Blue does nothing amazing but it has a simple honesty that is refreshing. It makes you smell like you're freshly showered. That's really the only way to explain it because it smells like soap and shaving cream. I happen to like the freshly showered scent. I bought this for my husband, but I find myself wearing it a lot too. I get compliments from both men and women. It's nothing I (or my husband) would wear to a black tie event, a nightclub, or even a dinner party, but it's the perfect fragrance for going to the gym or to the park with the kids on a hot day. I'm sure perfume enthusiasts and elites would scoff at this one, but I like the smell of soap and this fragrance suits me just fine.

24th April, 2009

dacerace's avatar

Nice...when I smell this I think it smells brilliant,but I never get any other feedback when I wear this,as opposed to other scents I have worn...so it is a bit of a let down in that respect.It is fresh,clean,and very long lasting,and quite distinctive,and I like it...so....thumbs up.

18th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2009)

Tony T's avatar

one of the freshest and simpleist scents ever.very plain but catchy. good but not great but every man should at least sample it for yourself. i was lucky and won it in a raffle.great for summer and spring.

05th August, 2008

bryan the rocker's avatar

first of all its a nice scent, my gf likes it a lot,
    It starts sweet, then fades to a nice melon, cucumber, basil mix which smells nice and not offending, I dont like aquatics like coolwater which has a pronounce alcoholish cologne scent, or aquatics which has citric notes which turns sour on warm days, polo blue is sweet and cucumbery fresh, and doesnt turn sour on humid days, Its the one of the top Blue scents

11th July, 2008