Reviews of Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

wannabe connoisseur's avatar

It might not be a classic but it definitely seems to be popular; I was also rather offput by the fact that my close friend's boyfriend and father, my girlfriend's father, my friend's cousin, and my... etc. You get the point. I'm probably just in a minority or am trapped by (un)lucky coincidence.

Polo Blue is probably the safest blue/aquatic fragrance I've ever used or smelled, and for good reason. It does not offend, is agreeable, and smells good. In the same vein it lacks any particularly risky or daring notes, except maybe the leather dry-down, and that's probably only because it's not such a popular scent as it was in years past (unless I'm wrong). The top notes are my favorite; it's a sweet and sour note, almost like citrus. I'd assume this is the cucumber, since I can't say I've smelled that note anywhere else. It's not too sweet but it is very pleasant and lasts a pretty long time in comparison with other fragrances, before it begins to transition into the middle and base notes. The sillage is, again, nothing short of agreeable. You can't smell it from across a room but it does leave a nice aroma in the wake of a passersby or during a friendly conversation.

It's probably one of the more common RL scents, and there's nothing wrong with that. I only wish it lasted a bit longer and wasn't as common, and maybe wasn't as drab.

14th April, 2011

apayne182's avatar

Good, a little different than the status quo in terms of aquatics. however, once my decant runs out, i do not see myself repurchasing it unless i just need a really safe and pleasant summer scent. i do not often reach for my little decant anyway. the longevity is rather poor and projection is not very strong as well

26th March, 2011

shamu1's avatar

I'm really lukewarm about Polo Blue. There are occasionally days I wear this when I want something different from what I normally wear, but there are a lot of days when I can't even stand the mere thought of Polo Blue.

Overall, Polo Blue is another generic, dull-as-toast woody citrus scent. Putting cucumber in this was an interesting idea, but it doesn't add a lot to the fragrance, and it makes it smell harsh and biting, in a bad way. The cucumber ends up being a gimmick, and Polo Blue has little if anything else to separate itself from hundreds of other boring designer masculines. Calvin Klein MAN, L'Eau d'Issey Intense, Mr. Blass, etc. all smell a lot like this.

However, on the days I'm in the mood for this, it does satisfy. There's a freshness to it that can be invigorating, and the cucumber, wood and citrus lift the spirits. There's patchouli in this too, and it's interesting to smell this note in the context of a fresh fragrance, rather than some slamming powerhouse.

The problem is that I'm rarely in the mood to wear Polo Blue. Nice dry woody drydown, though.

MY RATING: 6/10

19th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th February, 2011)

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Polo Blue is a light, aquatic, fresh scent that goes on beautifully, with a nice combination of melon, mandarin, tangerine and cucumber that invokes tranquility and lightness in its well measured and blended makeup.
    The essence of this fragrance is Carlos Benaim's adaptation of Southeastern Asian traditions in using the cucumber in water to lend a light, cool and refreshing feel without overwhelming the essence of the light, aquatic concept. He certainly executes the opening with class and precision. Polo Blue is invigoratingly fresh and though somewhat tried in its formulaic pretensions, serves the wearer looking for something subtle very well indeed. The opening is one of the best in the business, a true magical moment.
    It is only after 10-15 minutes, when the basil begins to push forward and overwhelm the angelic, light-weight opening that things seem a bit off kilter. The basil leans a bit harshly towards the synthetic against the melon and brings out the more sour qualities of the cucumber and leaves the geranium silent and somewhat wasted, bringing some discord.
    Things start equilibrating themselves once the base notes come forth. The base is for many a bit too musky when blended with the suede and woodsy notes, but is quite pleasing regardless, sticking to its watery and light identity.
    Polo Blue is a nice everyday option for those in moderately warm to mild climates and could serve well as a signature scent for the office or in places that require a certain level of subtlety. Its flaws are its lack of projection and longevity, which do tend to rely a great deal on the wearer and the circumstances. One can expect as little as two and as much as six hours but projection beyond the first 15 minutes quickly fades into a skin scent, suitable enough for professional and casual occasions but with no real assertiveness.
    Still, Polo Blue has one of the great aquatic openings in the business and for that certainly deserves our respect and gratitude. But for those looking for a bit more staying power and value, Lacoste Pour Homme does much of the same things Polo Blue intends to, but with far more success and for better value. A nice aquatic nevertheless, but nothing essential beyond the classy packaging, the Ralph Lauren name and the beautiful opening.

19th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th February, 2012)

rainmaker's avatar

For me, this is the perfect scent for summer. I think the cucumber makes it for me. It becomes a very pleasant fresh scent without smelling like a bathroom product or axe deodorant.

12th December, 2010

Grottola's avatar

This would be better without the cucumber.

15th October, 2010

Sunsetspawn's avatar

The opening is wonderful. It's very smooth and watery, quite blue," with a sweet-ish cucumber note. Reminds me of walking along the beach in the early evening, a slight breeze blowing, next to a blue ocean...

...and then some jackass runs up and hits me in the face with a pizza."

- Shaheen

This review sums up my feelings EXACTLY. The basil note is atrocious and loud. I suppose the only thing I can add is that it's also plastic-y. I remember trying this many years ago before I met basenotes, and when I finally did read the reviews here the pizza comment really stuck out (because it was spot on). Now I've tried Polo Blue yet again, and it has that same, off putting smell just dominating the entire fragrance. I've heard that Polo Explorer may be discontinued, and that's a damn shame when drek like Blue is taking up valuable counter space. RL has some good offerings, but this ain't one of 'em.

10th September, 2010

LiveJazz's avatar

It's not bad. I like the cucumber note in the opening, but I get bored with it much too quickly, and it fades in a snap. Well made for its type, I suppose, but I have no desire to buy it or test it further.

13th August, 2010

Chuck18293's avatar

Polo Blue!! It's just GREAT
    I really like this scent a lot, i love it
    Fresh, clean and fruity!
    I like a lot the smell of polo blue a good summer fragance
    The only think I don't like about it it's the longevity
    'Cause sometimes I get 3-4 hours and sometimes 6-7
    But Overall nice scent!
    And It's a fav of the girls
    A really good compliment getter
    I always get compiments qhen i wear it

11th August, 2010

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Ok I tried this on at a friends home. This smells promising coming out of the bottle. So I spray some on my wrist, goes on pleasant, not great. As it begins to dry all I smell is this cucumber note lingering thru the whole frag. It is very off putting. I cant get into that as I find cucumber notes to be not so good. I will say for a polo scent this is better than alot of there offerings, but it is nothing spectacular. It gets a neutral rating from me, more so on the negative side but still inbetween. There are MUCH better aquatics out there than this.

29th June, 2010

urfliness's avatar

I got my first bottle of Polo blue about 3-4 years ago.I like it but i think it looses it's potency after a while.I was about to run out and I stopped at Ulta on my way into work and the bittle they had on display seemed stringer than the one I had in my possesion.Great fresh frag.My only suggestion is but it in the smalles quantity possible if you really like this(to maintian the potentcy longer).A+

01st June, 2010

Esquire's avatar

Pleasant but too artificial and fades away quite quickly!

14th May, 2010

poppacooter's avatar

this is the one, the one cologne that smells fresh and inviting and does not give me a migraine, if your looking for a simple but great cologne that is non offensive then this is it. a must sample.
    1.projection = good
    2.versatility = excellent non offensive
    3.lasts 8-10hrs on me
    4. has become my signature scent.
    5.would recommend to a friend.
    6.good for anytime wear... because it's non offensive.
    7.very clean smelling....oh did i mention non offensive.

07th May, 2010

perree's avatar

i thought the smell is a bit strong especially with the melon, however an hour later, it settle to a calm fresh, not aquatic notes now , and that draws a lot of compliments from both guys n girls

i do not care what it is that they liked it, they just said it's so fresh and it ease on their nose, unlike other "charactered" scent that either give em a headache or repel them. Either way, i wear it cause others liked it, rather than the stupid Terre d'hermes where they repel you like you just stepped on dog craps. seriously, what makes Polo Blue good is the result it deliver, not how you perceive it, even though you are really an expert at sniffing and differentiating between a prestigious bottle and cat urine.

03rd March, 2010

robeverliving's avatar

A very nice, fresh fragrance. Nothing too special about it. It's common but that doesn't mean it's bad. It does smell of watermelon and then goes into a very cucumber dry-down. If you're obsessed with Polo Sport, this might be an upgrade.

12th February, 2010

fayez188's avatar

I love all the crazy ... It's like a refreshing breeze ... a wonderful creator

15th December, 2009

JDE's avatar

When is an aquatic not an aquatic? When it smells like Polo Blue.
    Slightly dated, oddly sombre cucumber and suede with rubbing alcohol. The mossy base is a really nice touch and quite unexpected considering the rest of the fragrance. I find this lends it a dependable and mature edge, unlike some other "fresh" frags which seem almost throwaway in nature. This is a serious scent for serious people, but because it's quite joyless, I can see why it's not especially popular anymore. I mean, it smells as if it could have come from 1976 rather than the early Noughties - why smell of maudlin leather and cucumber when you can smell of pineapple and calone? Being a young grumpy old fart, I dig that.

Longevity is very good at around 14 hours and the silage is close to the skin rather than scream in your face, which I think is nice for a frag like this. I like the bottle, and the atomiser, like all the Polo frags except Explorer, is very good.
    Oddball, but ace. If it's the kind of thing that's important to you - women seem to really like this.

12th December, 2009

Smeghead's avatar

A fairly pleasant and fresh fragrance, but that cucumber really just lingers throughout. No depth whatsoever.

17th October, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

This is quite a sour production, not really improved by the inclusion of some rather abrasive notes in the middle phase. The opening is fresh enough, but it feels two dimensional, and lacking in balance. The top of the pyramid is probably more suited to a fruit salad than a fragrance, but it could still have been developed better than this. It has little stamina, and it projects its rather dull production in a very feeble manner. Not in the least commendable.

12th October, 2009

Trapjaw's avatar

I loved this scent. My fav of the (4?) not including the Romance line. I used it fairly quick and had the bottle in the cabinet til a month or so back I took out the bottle which still had a tiny drop in it, ripped the cap and squirter out with a pair of pliers and put it on leaving the bottle on my desk to air out for a week so i could keep smelling it... I think they put cookies in it

10th October, 2009

arabhammerhead's avatar

The cucumber, and mossy scents hit you right away. A casual summery fragrance. Some nice fresh floral scents add to this. Sporty.

15th September, 2009

chamelion's avatar

its excellent and its not only fresh and aquatic and hip, but its got lots of notes and a very complex scent

u get this stuff and u will not likely want to wear anything else it just smells that good

29th August, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Obviously targeted at novices, this is a real letdown from RL. Even Polo Sport has more personality.

19th August, 2009

Lamp's avatar

This is not my favourite cologne, nonetheless, I can say with out a doubt that I have never received as many compliments with any other cologne as I have with Polo Blue.
    I received it as a gift and thought it smelled nice (it didn’t blow my mind), but for some reason whenever I wore it chicks seemed to dig it.
    So now I’ve grown to love it… can’t argue with results!

08th August, 2009

cjkamm's avatar

A sharp alcohol beginning, fades to a fresh scent, with powdery under tones. I don't smell any of the friuty notes, I get more of the musk, and amber in the dry down. A youthful scent. The original Polo in the green bottle is still my favorite of the RL collection.

17th July, 2009

Pure Francis's avatar

Finland Finland

Very good scent. I think me and Polo Blue will travel a long way together=) I truly feel good with this one on.

16th July, 2009

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Very Clean scent, not the typical acquatic-marine, it is a bit more shall I say romantic-sporty? It reminds me or Romance Silver, but less citrusy. Excellent for office wear. I usually wear Creed GIT for the office, but honestly, I find this one very pleasant, uncomplicated, and rightly priced, and I find that I can easily wear any of them at any given time. Don't bash it based on the old Polo Sport that just like AD'G was worn by the masses and most people with more sophisticated taste began to despise. Those colognes had their own beauty and this one is really good and it has its very own identity. I personally prefer Explorer from the new RL, but still, I cannot understand the real ugly criticism to this very pleasant cologne.

12th June, 2009

jagmartini's avatar

Polo Blue: Fun, fresh, carefree, always a hit with the ladies.

Nothing but compliments from the ladies when I wear this.

My only complaint (my girlfriend shares this viewpoint) is that it smells a little girlie at the end of the day.

07th June, 2009

ProfessorPlum's avatar

I really don't get all of the hate for this fragrance.

It's not really an aquatic and does not have the "watery" smell of an AdG or Bulgari Aqua. Fresh cucumber provides an unique fresh and uplifting start. More musky on the dry-down. It's not my favorite in my collection, but I really enjoy it from time to time. Well worth a try and certainly undeserving of all of the animosity, IMO.

31st May, 2009

camellia-rose's avatar

Polo Blue does nothing amazing but it has a simple honesty that is refreshing. It makes you smell like you're freshly showered. That's really the only way to explain it because it smells like soap and shaving cream. I happen to like the freshly showered scent. I bought this for my husband, but I find myself wearing it a lot too. I get compliments from both men and women. It's nothing I (or my husband) would wear to a black tie event, a nightclub, or even a dinner party, but it's the perfect fragrance for going to the gym or to the park with the kids on a hot day. I'm sure perfume enthusiasts and elites would scoff at this one, but I like the smell of soap and this fragrance suits me just fine.

24th April, 2009