Reviews of Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

This is really odd – I actually kind of like this one. It’s odd because I usually don’t care about these kind of scents that much (without some exceptions) – It’s odd also because there I reviewers putting this down on heavy hand; reviewers I usually tend to agree with.

Okay, it’s not that exciting or special, but to my nose it is blended better than average juices of this kind and you know what; it lasts on me very well.

Fresh, subtle and natural smell of green fields and flowing cool rivers.

Nice, but I must give a neutral rating after all for a reasons that its true that there are much better scents of this category available plus I wouldn’t never buy myself a bottle of this.

Still, very acceptable flanker for original Polo.

15 February, 2009

ausamamira's avatar
    ausamamira
    Jordan Jordan

ummmm .... cucumber ..... i thought i will love this scent ...but unfortunately not ... i sprayed this on a strip .... the cucumber is dominant .... i dont really like .... i would go for giveny blue if i had to choose a blue scent .....

31st January, 2009

dacerace's avatar
    dacerace

Nice...when I smell this I think it smells brilliant,but I never get any other feedback when I wear this,as opposed to other scents I have worn...so it is a bit of a let down in that respect.It is fresh,clean,and very long lasting,and quite distinctive,and I like it...so....thumbs up.

18 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2009)

Shaheen's avatar
    Shaheen

The opening is wonderful. It's very smooth and watery, quite "blue," with a sweet-ish cucumber note. Reminds me of walking along the beach in the early evening, a slight breeze blowing, next to a blue ocean...

...and then some jackass runs up and hits me in the face with a pizza.

Uh, who thought it would be a good idea for such a blue, watery, aquatic fragrance like this to dry down to basil? Basil! As in the type of basil you keep in your spice cabinet that you use to make pizza or Italian spaghetti.

This dry-down is just gross, and completely ruins what would have been a great fragrance.

Someone at Ralph Lauren needs to be fired. Or beaten. Or both.

30th August, 2008

darfoo's avatar
    darfoo

This just smells very generic to me, it reminds me of a time when men's aftershave was generic and everyone had basically the same scent. The fragrance is harsh on my nose, the "fresh" scent reminding me more of something very astringent and biting.

12 August, 2008

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

one of the freshest and simpleist scents ever.very plain but catchy. good but not great but every man should at least sample it for yourself. i was lucky and won it in a raffle.great for summer and spring.

05 August, 2008

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

Now this surprisingly does not smell very aquatic, though solely looking at the list of notes could easily convince anyone otherwise. I would give it credit for not smelling like your typical calone-saturated marine scents. It is a little powdery, soapy and has an old school/dated vibe to it.

16 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2009)

bryan the rocker's avatar
    bryan the rocker

first of all its a nice scent, my gf likes it a lot,
    It starts sweet, then fades to a nice melon, cucumber, basil mix which smells nice and not offending, I dont like aquatics like coolwater which has a pronounce alcoholish cologne scent, or aquatics which has citric notes which turns sour on warm days, polo blue is sweet and cucumbery fresh, and doesnt turn sour on humid days, Its the one of the top Blue scents

11th July, 2008

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

I want to like it, and sometimes I do for a few minutes at a time. The 'fresh' notes are overwhelming...it's overpowering. Melon notes are mixed with green notes, but they enhance each other instead of balancing each other. Although I generally like aquatic/fresh scents, and although I generally like RL offerings, Blue is just too synthetic smelling to be enjoyable.

23 June, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

This is a light, linear and watery type musky fragrance that is well worth price at a discount.

15 June, 2008

acedabrain's avatar
    acedabrain
    Romania Romania

I just love it!!!! very fresh and sexy.

12 June, 2008

fragrance's avatar
    fragrance
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

I don't understand why so many people hate this fragrance. It's not exactly a copy of 'any other aquatic out there', it has a very fresh and distinct smell.

The base notes strongly resemble those of Armani Code, this is overall a very clean and maybe a bit sporty frag, it's not overbearing nor does it cause headaches... On a casual day, or maybe at work (but perhaps not at a funeral), this is exactly what you'd want to smell like, if you're a man. Polo Blue.

Another extremely good frag in the polo series is Polo Double Black. Check into that if you liked this one (though they don't share similar qualities, DB is more for evening wear).

28 May, 2008

John Paul's avatar
    John Paul
    England England

Polo Blue is an excellent summer day-time fragrance. I always recieve compliments when I wear it. If you're considering Polo Blue I suggest it works best on men with a more musky natural scent. This uncomplicated and light fragrance does a great job of 'balancing things out' especially on warm summer days.

11th May, 2008

terry81's avatar
    terry81
    Singapore Singapore

Love the fresh smell. The base note remains strong after a few hours. I love this.

20th January, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

A generic, diluted, commonplace and watery clone. (Did I mince any words?)

08 January, 2008

gkgreen's avatar
    gkgreen

Holy headache monster. After 10 minutes I had to jump in the shower in the middle of the day. Got up the courage to do it again a few days later and same effect. Not sure what it was, but I can't say I could recommend to anyone.

25 December, 2007

DULLAH's avatar
    DULLAH
    Turkey Turkey

Nothing is wrong with this cologne.
    Nothing out of place, or too strong.
    It's simple, clean, and fresh.
    Matches the bottle and color. No more.
    Dunhill Fresh I think still has an edge on Polo Blue, as top of the "Plain Blue" Colognes.
    On the good side of neutral for simplicity.

01st November, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

I did not want to comment on polo Blue because a lot of people already did. but then I saw this down-ward trend...basically Polo Blue bashing, and I had to say something.
    First this is a good scent. It is not a copy of anything, and it is deep and pleasant. When it was released, it was my number one cologne, unseating the infamous Issey Miyake. Nowadays, 5 years later, a lot of frags have tried to do the 'blue' thing, but to me Polo Blue is the original BLUE scent.
    So try it for yourself, it will disappear on some people, but trust that others can smell it on you even if you can't smell it on yourself.

19 June, 2007 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2008)

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Honestly, I have a reed diffuser from Pier One Imports in an aqua scent that smells exactly like this Polo Blue. I like it as a bathroom air freshener, but not on my man!

30th May, 2007

fusion's avatar
    fusion

Very boring scent the worst of the Polo brand

18 April, 2007

G23riel's avatar
    G23riel
    Romania Romania

Polo Blue mellow fougere/aquatic/slight spicy = mild little pony.

Not a stallion, like Green.

Polo black has a more aquatic rotten mellon top and blue has a more pleasant cucumbery yet still slightly aquatic top. The middle and base blend together into a very pleasant frag that tries to have personality but falls short due to its disapointing silage and stay.

Overall, I like it, could not justify paying a premium cost, as I just cannot put into the same category as Safari and/or Green. I guess I would pay 20 cents on the dollar for this frag.

19 February, 2007

vdxxl's avatar
    vdxxl
    Romania Romania

Too generic, too simple and so, too expensive for its qualities. It is very fresh and then converts into something between basil and metal.

26 January, 2007

Arti's avatar
    Arti

This is my first cologne, I got it as a gift. I liked it at first, but I stopped liking it even before I started getting into scents (in fact, it may have partially spurred me to start looking at others). It's very woodsy. Decent smell, but it's very ho hum.

07 January, 2007

zyreak77's avatar
    zyreak77

I think polo blue is one of the best cologne that came out in 2002. Very discreet smell, at the same time very sophicated and classy. It will last longer on you than most cologne out there. This one is the one to use when you want to take your girl out on a romantic night.

02 November, 2006

areko79's avatar
    areko79
    Iran Iran

Polo Blue = Echo (davidoff)+ Cucumber. one of the cheapest smell.

26 September, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

What a disspointment!.
    On first spray smell just lovely, very aquatic and fresh, citric and very melonny YUMMY, but after half an hour, just nothing, the fragrance dissapear from your skin and nothing remains.
    Bold.
    If you fancy something really fresh aquatic and obiously more long lasting, check out L'eau par Kenzo, Issey Miyake Bleue Frais, Quasar. There´s something on them special, high recommended if you like to feel different.

30th August, 2006

foetidus

Polo Blue has a nice fresh smell…it is clean and inviting, and that cucumber note is refreshing and clear in a vegetable sort of way. I like its fragrance better than several of the other aquatics, but I really don’t care too much for most of the other aquatics anyway. Polo Blue is really lacking in potency and projection: I have to concentrate a little to even smell it, and I’m not very rewarded for my effort. Its longevity is farcical. What I really don’t like about it, though, is that it shouldn’t have been named after a classic like Polo, it’s not in the same league.

29 August, 2006

Ymer's avatar
    Ymer
    Brazil Brazil

Yet another generic fresh scent. This feels really cheap. Doesn't last long, either. It was such a letdown.

24 August, 2006

QuietEarth's avatar
    QuietEarth

Nice smell, woodsy and dry, but doesn't last all that long. Not quite as "cotton-candy fluff" as Polo Sport. Slightly more refined and - dare I say it - complex! Is that the right word? Perhaps it's just not overtly waving around such a big, coloured flag as "Sport". It's sitting further back from the front row, in a nice tweed jacket, holding one of those little plastic flags you get in exotic cocktails. But you could very easily not even notice it. Again, like "Sport" it lacks a little definition, some potency and sillage, but in its favour, it is slightly more refined. I would consider wearing this one out to a party or social occasion. But only if I wasn't required to stay more than five minutes. I own it, but I think you could do better.

04 May, 2006

abimanyu's avatar
    abimanyu
    Indonesia Indonesia

If it is so terrible, then how come it became 2004 Basenote Award winner? It's good for what it is. Fresh, uplifting, and airy. Very casual and wearable. Perfect for dining al-fresco in Santa Monica Promenade or Sunset boulevard in the summer or late spring. Oh yah, and girls love it!

26 March, 2006