Reviews of Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

Find out more about Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Wheatstraw2's avatar

The nice yuzu opening is quickly overpowered by violet. And more violet. And.... ok, you get it. To disclose a bias, I seriously don't like violet. The original, softer, more likeable (for me) Eau de Cartier has about as much violet as I can really get into, so I find this sharp, non-comforting, amped-up version to be quite a bit less attractive than the original. In moderation, I can wear the original. I suppose that this fragrance falls into the "green" category of warm-weather eaux. If you're into that kind of thing, and if violet is your note, you'll like this one. I've given it a fair hearing - 15 wears in my drobe count - and I'm glad to be done with it.

03rd August, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

Violet leaf has become a much-maligned thing in perfumery for its association with the beautiful but un-modern Grey Flannel, its starring role in most of the bombastic Lempicka line, and its rampant use in countless faceless-fresh masculines over the last decade. For me, this rendition of Cartier's lightest masculine is a breath of fresh, purple-tinged air. Although it can come across as overly synthetic, especially in high heat, the opening burst of amber-sweetened violet countered by a hint of coriander is incredibly fresh and uplifting. Most surprisingly, this normally fleeting sort of accord lasts a solid hour, earning high marks from me. Afterward, the scent dries down rapidly, leaving a cedar-amber 'almost vanilla,' much like the powdery almond-like residue of Cartier's Must Pour Homme, with which EdCC shares several bodily similarities.
    Though I wish this was longer-lasting I suppose that would defeat the purpose of creating a pretty, light-weight scent. I have found that spraying body and clothes at intervals keeps the show going in a brilliant way, as the musks in this one aren't strong enough to really build up and become oppressive. Nothing spectacular, but this one makes me happy.

After an evening wearing Grey Flannel on one hand and EdCC on the other on a hunch, I am convinced Cartier wanted to basically relaunch the 1976 classic with its own modern twist. Gone is the characteristic galbanum and the rich, milky sandalwood, but the remainder is like the apparition of the former after the corporeal had been discarded. It will never be as good as its precursor but I see it as a pleasant homage to the original champion of Violet.

16th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 17th July, 2014)

findtheriver's avatar

RAID! Kills bugs dead

12th December, 2013

's avatar

Concentree has a better lasting power and the violet note is not so loud as it is in Eau de Cartier. Elegant and classy, this fragrance is suitable for most occasions. Definetely a must have. Thumbs up!

30th December, 2012

Darvant's avatar

I tried both the regular and the concentree version which i agree is finally more acid and less powdery. I detect a lavender/violet/lemon (yuzu) main temperament over a musky/cedary foundation but catch a type of initial pungent fruity patchouli presence with a sort of tart berry-lily-hydrangea-violet vibe. The tartness tends to fade with the time together with the soothing musky setting. The yuzu presence nails down a sort of stable "aqueousity" which balances the final touch of powder. The dry down introduces a faint ambergris on the side of a basic cedarwood/musk. The juice is balanced and clean but dull and a bit monolitic.

23rd November, 2012

nonnative's avatar

Apart for the synthetic opening that turns marvellous after a while, this frag is good and airy. It is like open air. I liked the spicy and bitter accords. Good lasting power. Just a bit too masculine for my taste.

09th September, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Well, the initial smell begins expressing exactly the color of the liquid in the bottle. Green!

A priori we have an explosion of green notes, giving the feeling of young leaves, but nothing vulgar. The smell stays on my skin for about 30 minutes and soon after comes the middle and base notes, and its here that the fragrance captivated me!

Throughout the fragrance, I could felt it changing to a more gourmand scent. It became sweeter and a little bit spicier, but in a very subtle way, where deep down inside we have the woods, which lasts throughout the middle of the fragrance. It is noteworthy also that at this stage is where the fragrance comes to pass that feeling of cleanliness, like we were just out of a bath.

Anyway, a must try for anyone who likes green fragrances with a hint of spicy.

21st August, 2011

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

How can a little masterpiece, a real delight - aka Eau de Cartier - turn into this?

I don't know..But it just smells terribly synthetic and lacks the delicacy and elegance of the simple and beautiful Eau de Cartier.

Understood, the standard version does not have the greatest longevity but this Concentree version does not even help in that respect...

Disappointing.

30th April, 2011

Italian drummer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Like some reviewers said before, Eau de Cartier Concentree opens green and floral. I can smell violet for a long time and this note makes Concentree to be a more feminine scent than unisex.
    Despite of being more suitable for women than men, this is a great cologne, very fresh and clean. It also lasts long and has a good silage.

07th June, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

Opens up all green with violet leaf and tea accords but dries into a woodsy powdery sweet drydown that feels oriental. Fresh and clean and it has some power... for violet leaf I suggest just wearing Fahrenheit.

30th November, 2009

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Starts very promising with a fresh green violet leaf accord, with some spice. very clean blue and green soapy notes lingering in the back, and they get more prominent thru the development. By the end, it is somewhat powdery, like powdered laundry soap. But in a far classier and softer way than any of the "Clean" brand of scents. Overall neutral on the positive side.

24th June, 2009

shehbaz's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Very synthetic smelling, without any character. Not worth even quarter of the price. I have to spray other colognes over it to suppress its smell. Don't know my headache is also due to this. I am unhappy buying this though I had very high hopes from the house of Cartier.
    PS. Very nice looking bottle.

06th June, 2009

The blurbs that I read on this fragrance say that this is simply supposed to be Eau de Cartier in concentrated form… it is not supposed to be a different scent. First of all, I’m not sure I want a stronger concentration: part of the reason I love Eau de Cartier is its subtlety and its quiet, reticent elegance. Next, I believe that the formula has been changed in more ways than just changing the concentrations. The yuzu is gone from the concentrated version and the violet presence has been increased significantly. Since I dislike a strong violet presence in a fragrance, this is bad news for me.

I like the non concentrée version of Eau de Cartier much better. This one feels a bit sharp and synthetic to me where the original didn’t, and I completely dislike the stronger infusion of violet leaves. Lost is a lot of the original Eau de Cartier’s subtlety and quiet freshness. This is not so subtle and its freshness has that sharpness to it. But I do see this as a well made fragrance… people who like violet notes may very well find this worth testing. What’s nice about this is that we’ve got a choice between the two versions… I’ve made mine...

17th September, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

A very fresh woody oriental, I would say, though a little genre-bending is evident here. I like this quite a bit, even though it's not my usual style; I think the freshness and the juxtaposition of acontextual notes is the main reason. It also helps that the persistence of the coriander helps make the drydown amazing. This is especially nice in warmer weather, but anytime I want a bit of a lift, it is a welcome break from heavier, denser concoctions. Simplicity and transparency have their charms.

15th August, 2008

Kaern's avatar

Not a great fan of Cartier fragrances normally, but this one is ok. It's very green and almost vegetal and doesn't change all that much except to soften slightly, which in my opinion improves the scent. It is completely bone dry though and I think I need at least a scintilla of sweetness in fragrances I use now. Not bad.

24th July, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

I tried Eau de Cartier in both its regular and concentrated versions. I like each to a certain extent, but can’t endorse either whole-heartedly. Eau de Cartier Concentrée reduces the problematically powdery-amber drydown of the regular version, so that’s a good thing. It is a sharper and more acidic fragrance, and a simpler one. Sadly, it has lost the haunting and elusive herbal-wood note that I enjoy so much in the regular version. This is a bigger scent than the regular: it has more green-acidic notes, more violet leaves, more musk. It is an OK aromatic-green scent. A bit sour, and slightly synthetic in character… not very interesting in my opinion.

16th July, 2008

Scentologist's avatar

It takes the basic design of the original Eau de Cartier and to me, adds top notes of green apple. Oddly enough, the original version seems more green to me, or shall I say a more desireable green. The concentree gets acid and sharp. This combination of sharpness and greeness throws the composition off balance which makes this whole thing acrid. It wants to deliver a slight singe to the nostril hairs. I don't like this rendition and I much prefer the original.

20th April, 2008

syracusa's avatar

Romania Romania

I love it A LOT especially for its long life, great silage and suave, refined notes. All these traits are usually hard to find together. I have tried pure perfumes that last much less than this EDT. It is quite amazing. My only problem with it is that it feels a little too modern and too unisex for me. I wish it were an exclusively WOMANLY perfume (I don't like unisexes) but then again, it it was, it would not smell like this. All in all, great fragrance!

10th January, 2008

signature's avatar

Very light, green, and woody and there's nothing wrong with that is there? Of course not! While being crisp and classy the coriander and nutmeg in this fragrance are prominent enough to give a bit of spicy warmth while not weighing down the fragrance. The bottle mentions 'leaves' as an note, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those leaves was mint.

This scent carries itself almost like a Creed sans ambergris, it is very light and well mannered but long lasting, at times it seems to disappear to the wearer although it is still going strong.

On a somewhat negative note, this fragrance does resemble a bug spray I once used. But the scent of the bug spray would have been rather pleasant if the actual petroleum based insecticide was absent.

13th July, 2007

nthny's avatar

This is as crystaline and clear as glass, and with a celery-like sharp greenness: green notes whizzing around on the first inhale. Think green leaves, grass and the lime scent of Yuzu, with a dusty powdering of amber and very light colored dry wood element. There's violet leaf in here, too, which adds such a crisp, cool, refreshing element to the composition. It really is very well-balanced and very uniquely clean without being immature or simple. This is another fragrance which to me is all on its own which is always very exciting to me (though Creed does greens well, none of them are green in this way)... to see fragrance designers stepping off to the side occasionally. With this fragrance I imagine the wearer walking confidently knowing he or she is wearing something different, and that alone makes EdC Concentree special. In its category (clean, green fragrance - its cristaline crispness being unmatched) it is very worthy of a thumbs up. 4/5

22nd May, 2007

margi's avatar

England England

Very fresh and green with a twist. A twist of what you may ask. truth is, I dunno. I just know that this is sufficiently unpredictable to make me smell different things each time I wear it. Never fails to get compliments. i love my husband wearing this too. Very sexy.(The perfume, not my husband)!!

18th May, 2007

Clemmie's avatar

I absolutely love this fragrance and I get asked about it whenever I wear it. I wish I had kept it a secret, as all my friends have now started wearing it, rendering it not quite so special any more. I like to layer this, I can't get enough of it.

27th March, 2007

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

The smell in this fragance is extraodinary it was just what i was looking for to wear for this summer. The only thing that kept me from buying it this week was that it didnt even last 5 minutes on me. I guess my Ph and this fragance are not compatible.

08th March, 2007

Habitrouge's avatar

One breath of EDC Concentreè will literally cast a spell on willing victims. I should know…I’ve been under the power of this formula for quite some time. After 2 years, I’ve just now taken a break from wearing and obsessing over EDC…and when I say “cast a spell,” I mean that quite honestly. I’ve been followed by women and men on subways, on the streets, at the beach, the theatre, sitting by the pool, walking the dog…all wanting to know one thing…what potion did I have on that was causing them to lose control of their senses? It’s a very heady trip. I do understand that many of the Cartier fragrances lack depth. However, the people’s olfactory senses have spoken on this one. It’s a truly unique scent that gives unexpected pleasure beyond one’s wildest visions.

19th January, 2007

silk4ever's avatar

Smells like something you wear to church, not "great", but not as bad as people keep saying it is especially when it drys down.

12th January, 2007

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Horribly synthetic mess.

11th October, 2006

Adnan's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Bittersweet, fresh, green woody smell. Distinctive and classy. Unusual, without shouting it in your face. Exudes a calm mature energy. Extraordinary.

22nd August, 2006

sshak13's avatar

Smells like you just took a shower under a waterfall in an amazing rainforest, with catherine zeta jones, Exotic, and not too many ppl wear it. Worth THE MONEY

02nd August, 2006

LiveJazz's avatar

Acidic smelling. One of my friends has it and it burns my nostrils. People say this without it being true all the time here...but this really does smell like some kind of bug spray. Maybe it calms down a little after it dries, but I didn't want to stay around long enough to find out.

04th April, 2006

StevenB's avatar

Wonderfully uplifting and inviting. I love it from the first juicy splash all the way to the drydown. Beautifully smooth, clean and sexy. Doesn't smell like everything else, but isn't avant garde either. To me it's classy without being "old." I tend to like most Cartier scents. I find them to be real quality.

18th October, 2005