Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

Christine Nagel has, in my opinion, tried to create an 'eau' that isn't mind numbingly same-as. I can mention eau de jade, eau France, rochas, du sud, savage, orlane, ad infinitum, that all claim to be the South of France in a bottle. What have we here? Yuzu, and youzz will love it when you get used to it. Something akin to the Jean Claude Ellena grapefruit opening but more masculine, a little metallic, (Coriander?) then there's a distinct lemon, or is it quince? Have you ever let a platter of quince fruit, the entire piece of fruit, not cut in any way, sit in a warm room. It's scent is quite divine. It is rivalled by the Bhudda's Hand Citrus, a real head turner. There are nuances of unusual fruit in Eau de Cartier concentree and they aren't girly, paleo princess ones. It achieved its objective, I think, to be truly unisex with a very pleasant dry down. My dog walking companion thinks its wonderful but I probably wouldn't wear it to a ladies lunch
19th April, 2015
The nice yuzu opening is quickly overpowered by violet. And more violet. And.... ok, you get it. To disclose a bias, I seriously don't like violet. The original, softer, more likeable (for me) Eau de Cartier has about as much violet as I can really get into, so I find this sharp, non-comforting, amped-up version to be quite a bit less attractive than the original. In moderation, I can wear the original. I suppose that this fragrance falls into the "green" category of warm-weather eaux. If you're into that kind of thing, and if violet is your note, you'll like this one. I've given it a fair hearing - 15 wears in my drobe count - and I'm glad to be done with it.
03rd August, 2014
I tried both the regular and the concentree version which i agree is finally more acid and less powdery. I detect a lavender/violet/lemon (yuzu) main temperament over a musky/cedary foundation but catch a type of initial pungent fruity patchouli presence with a sort of tart berry-lily-hydrangea-violet vibe. The tartness tends to fade with the time together with the soothing musky setting. The yuzu presence nails down a sort of stable "aqueousity" which balances the final touch of powder. The dry down introduces a faint ambergris on the side of a basic cedarwood/musk. The juice is balanced and clean but dull and a bit monolitic.
23rd November, 2012

Opens up all green with violet leaf and tea accords but dries into a woodsy powdery sweet drydown that feels oriental. Fresh and clean and it has some power... for violet leaf I suggest just wearing Fahrenheit.
30th November, 2009
Starts very promising with a fresh green violet leaf accord, with some spice. very clean blue and green soapy notes lingering in the back, and they get more prominent thru the development. By the end, it is somewhat powdery, like powdered laundry soap. But in a far classier and softer way than any of the "Clean" brand of scents. Overall neutral on the positive side.
24th June, 2009
The blurbs that I read on this fragrance say that this is simply supposed to be Eau de Cartier in concentrated form… it is not supposed to be a different scent. First of all, I’m not sure I want a stronger concentration: part of the reason I love Eau de Cartier is its subtlety and its quiet, reticent elegance. Next, I believe that the formula has been changed in more ways than just changing the concentrations. The yuzu is gone from the concentrated version and the violet presence has been increased significantly. Since I dislike a strong violet presence in a fragrance, this is bad news for me.

I like the non concentrée version of Eau de Cartier much better. This one feels a bit sharp and synthetic to me where the original didn’t, and I completely dislike the stronger infusion of violet leaves. Lost is a lot of the original Eau de Cartier’s subtlety and quiet freshness. This is not so subtle and its freshness has that sharpness to it. But I do see this as a well made fragrance… people who like violet notes may very well find this worth testing. What’s nice about this is that we’ve got a choice between the two versions… I’ve made mine...
17th September, 2008
Kaern Show all reviews
Not a great fan of Cartier fragrances normally, but this one is ok. It's very green and almost vegetal and doesn't change all that much except to soften slightly, which in my opinion improves the scent. It is completely bone dry though and I think I need at least a scintilla of sweetness in fragrances I use now. Not bad.
24th July, 2008
I tried Eau de Cartier in both its regular and concentrated versions. I like each to a certain extent, but can’t endorse either whole-heartedly. Eau de Cartier Concentrée reduces the problematically powdery-amber drydown of the regular version, so that’s a good thing. It is a sharper and more acidic fragrance, and a simpler one. Sadly, it has lost the haunting and elusive herbal-wood note that I enjoy so much in the regular version. This is a bigger scent than the regular: it has more green-acidic notes, more violet leaves, more musk. It is an OK aromatic-green scent. A bit sour, and slightly synthetic in character… not very interesting in my opinion.
16th July, 2008
It starts off great, with a good, fresh lemon note and lots of body. No artificial feeling. The core is however herbal, with a sharp thyme/marjoram/origanum note, soon giving in to (almost) the very same base in Pasha. This fragrance has more balance, however, and the herbal note stays on the background all through the drydown. I like the top notes very much, but I didn't like Pasha much, and this is not my cup of tea. (After one hour or so, you get a woodsy drydown exactly like Kenzo Air's, btw)
20th November, 2004