Reviews of Chergui by Serge Lutens

This is very nice. I get hay, sugar, tobacco and some powdery notes. Very easy to wear. Smells very elegant. Borderline masterpiece.
08th November, 2017 (last edited: 11th November, 2017)
Iris, honey, amber, powder, spices, wood. Been there, smelled that. It's great (more for men), but nothing special for me. You've smelled other perfumes like this before.
29th April, 2017
A stunning scent IMO. Very much a winner with amazing longevity and projection. One of the strongest scents I own. For the price and quality this is a buy for sure (even blind buy). I would say the best part of the scent... well all of it from beginning to end. No complaints here... the strongest notes I get are Hay, Honey and Tobacco... to my nose the other scents lay in the back ground showing here and there. Nice for fall/winter day or night. Amazing. Enjoy!
09th August, 2016

This is a pretty good sweet, powdery and somewhat masculine fragrance. If you've ever smelled Fleur du Male from JpG, then you've essentially smelled this one as well. The notes are different in each, but they smell alike after drying down.

Projection: 7
Longevity: 7
Overall: 8
04th July, 2016
Like most fragrances I hated this on the blotter but on the skin it's another story entirely. As a woman I feel it is slightly on the feminine side of unisex. I can see ow this fragrance could be quite divisive as it's very heavy and rich, not the most wearable and definitely more winter appropriate. It would be a great Christmas scent as it is warm and spicy with a hint of sweetness. On me it smells like warm woody amber-y incense, like a Cathedral or a Catholic church in winter, which I love. Fantastic silage and projection, lasts and lasts, powerful stuff!

08th June, 2016 (last edited: 14th June, 2016)
poor performer and overrated!
26th April, 2016
As a matter of personal preference, I do not quite like Chergui, but I understand its popularity, a sweet and sour wood fragrance.

Update: I have changed my rating from neutral to positive. Wearing a heavy dose and having it last all day won me over.
28th February, 2016 (last edited: 20th May, 2016)
A scrubber.
Too sweet and too tobacco-y.
And given the hype this was a bigger disappointment.
Get Herod or Varvatos Vintage instead if you want tobacco.
25th February, 2016
Chergui is certainly the Serge Lutens fragrance that I see mentioned the most, and as a fan of sweet tobacco fragrances, it was the first I wanted to try. I'm not disappointed, but intrigued but its depth.

I get far more spicy than tobacco in the opening, the sweetness being obvious but certainly more subdued than other leading "sweet tobacco" niche favorites (Tobacco Vanille, Herod, Back to Black). The dry down is balanced between honey and tobacco, though I'm reasonably sure there are other spicy aspects to this, and not just the incense listed in the notes breakdown. Clove perhaps? I'm not sure.

Decent to strong on projection, and certainly the type of fragrance that cuts through cold weather effectively (it's pungent but not a projection beast, if that makes sense), Chergui is an obvious cold weather option---I can't see this being the type of tobacco fragrance that transitions well to summer.

Deep and spicy, full of both tobacco and, to some extent, sweet honey, Chergui is certainly a great option at its price (in the $55ish range for 50ml on FragranceNet), and its fifteenth year, has observably been a niche mainstay, given the press it gets. For me, it's another option, an interesting alternative to most sweet tobacco fragrance that I own and have sampled.

7 out of 10
20th December, 2015
Hay, hay, hay, iris, iris, honey, tobacco. I didn't it at first because it smelled too powdery--almost like a mature woman in a stuffy outfit. After the top notes die down a bit, the thick powdery sweetness is quite nice. It's great how this perfume doesn't smell conventional, and it may be off-putting to some people at first, but it grows on you. One of the few ambery scents I like. Excellent sillage and longevity.
09th December, 2015 (last edited: 13th September, 2016)
Starts with a very brief, intensely sweet note. Quickly reveals a rich tobacco leaf and hay chord. The florals (first rose, later iris) are certainly evident.
One blog I read said that it suggested not a dry desert wind but the warm atmosphere of a Victorian gentleman's club. I agree. Tobacco, leathery chairs, and furniture polished by rosewood oil. A very masculine scent. Though once in a while I detect some delicious freshly baked sugar cookies on the sideboard.
Cool and warm as various notes alternate. The resin and incense notes persist. At times the incense suggests oud, but perhaps this is the ghostly iris note. No, I am convinced there is oud here.
Touch of honey but not sweet. Leathery, smoky dry-down.
A very complex scent! A dignified Oriental. I'm not big on Orientals, and this is still little sweeter than I like. But it is an excellent scent.
And worth revisiting.
06th December, 2015
I hate to say this, but after all the good reviews I have read about Chergui, i thought I am going to love it. This was my first sniff of Serge Lutens, and i hated it!

It smells cheaply sweet and a bit too creamy. This might as well be the house's DNA. But I really did not enjoy it, i tried to like it. However after giving my sample many tries i concluded that this smell is just not for me.

It simply reminds me of the cheap oil mixtures you get from local markets around the middle east. Nothing beyond that IMO.

Oh well, i got a lot more to try from the house of Serge Lutens.

20th September, 2015
It really took me a while to like Chergui. People kept recommending it, and I just wouldn't go back to it, as I found it overly feminine. But, I felt the same way about Dior Homme Intense, and now I love it. I think the note in question is iris.. it can either go the route of smelling more like woods, or it can go the route of smelling more like makeup, and here, it goes the makeup route, as it does in DHI. I saw a bottle of this on fragnet for 60 shipped, and I figured ehh why not.. if I dislike it again, I'll sell or swap it easily, since everyone else loves it. Man did this stuff grow on me. Now.. it's easily one of my favorite niche fragrances.

From the top, I get a ton of iris.. and yes the powdery feminine makeup type, but it does so well with honey, amber, and hay, the other main notes I really pick up on. Overtime all of the notes sort of intertwined into one big iris/sweet/woodsy accord, and remains this way for a good 8 hours on me. Projection, is perfect, not too much, not a skin scent. Longevity, great. Quality, outstanding. No cheap alcohol smell anywhere in this.

I also love the simplicity yet elegance of the Serge Lutens bottles. I plan on getting more from this house, as I have tried quite a few and loved them. Chergui is certainly the centerpiece for Serge Lutens, a must have for any connoisseur.
12th September, 2015

Salutation.

CHERGUI is intoxicating and summons your inner passion for love life and intimacy.i would say mysterious because several persons I've talked to can not figure out the notes just smelling it. This is such an awesome oriental scent.it is heavy but such a lovely scent.

Spicy,Strong,Seductive,Sweet,Warm, Gorgeous,Expensive and Rich.strong,spicy and masculine opening but a base of Musk,Amber and sandalwood are Feminine and Immensely Sensual.this is absolutely warm and cozy fragrance,something you want to snuggle into on a cold evening like a big,fluffy cable-knit sweater.

CHERGUI is not for those who prefer soft and inoffensive scent.It is suitable for a Night out on the town.totally if you want to stand out in a crowd by your scent,this is the fragrance to wear.definitely for WINTER.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

7.5/10
01st June, 2015
Chergui is one of my favorite Serge Lutens. At first spray I get honey and amber. After it settled down I got amber and incense. Chergui is definitely a fall/winter scent. It is very warm and comforting. It lasts a very long time on my skin 7-8 hours.
18th December, 2014
Chergui was a total disappointment for me, after hearing all the rave reviews I was expecting a fragrance that would knock my socks off, and what I get is this linear sweet tobacco scent that is nothing out of this world.
For a sweet tobacco perfume, Desert by Fragonard beats it by a mile. Not only is more complex, but it offers a nice development while Chergui is linear.
Desert by Fragonard not only smells better to me, but is a higher quality perfume and has this beautiful Oud note in the drydown that in not there in Chergui (I was expecting Oud on a S. Lutens fragrance).

But I can't complain about the sillage and longevity of Chergui.

150 bucks for 1.7 oz of Chergui against 50 bucks for 3.4 oz of Desert by Fragonard, it is a no brainer.
12th December, 2014
A Wind from the East...

Chergui is a beautiful fragrance. The name itself means "Eastern" in Arabic (شرقى), and it is the name of a wind that sweeps across the Sahara desert and into Morocco. The idea here was to evoke that same wind, and all the various smells from the desert and the surrounding environment.

What I like about Chergui is that it is probably the only perfume I can think of with a note of hay. The hay note here is slightly green and earthy in the beginning, almost like damp soil, but it is quickly overtaken by the incense and wonderful orris-root powder in the background (reminiscent a little of talcum or old make-up powder). But this is quickly enveloped in a huge wave of honey and rose and dries down to clean musk on a bed of sandalwood. For me, the prominent note here is the tobacco. It is a dry tobacco mixed with the rose, hay, honey, powder and amber in the background. I am reminded of the old leather furniture in a classic Victorian gentleman's club... or an old drawing room, where you can smell faint hints of tobacco smoke in the leather and mixed with the smell of roses and old make-up.

Now, this isn't to say that this fragrance is unwearable. Far from it! This one is totally wearable! I see it wearing a little better on a man, but on a woman I think it would be very nice. Very chic too. It's definitely a warm, enveloping, almost cold weather scent. It's actually quite smooth and beautiful.

For one, I would recommend it purely for it's ability to change your mood and give you a warm, "cozy" feeling. It may remind you of childhood (if you grew up in the country or near hayfields). It's an interesting one, it reminds me in a few ways of Guerlain - Jicky (no lavender here, but a lot of hay and coumarin - a synthetic tonka bean derivation that smells like freshly mown hay). The tobacco note also reminds me of fragrances like Molinard - Habanita and Caron - Tabac Blond, with their powdery amber & tobacco drydowns.

Overall, Chergui is a fragrance that wears well on both men and on women. It's the epitome of chic, and I would recommend people to try this out in the cooler months. For me this is one of the better tobacco fragrances that I've tried, and I've never smelled another perfume with a "hay" note. I like it, I think I like this one quite a bit!
24th November, 2014
pman Show all reviews
Chergui is my first from the lutens,I get hay and talcum/nose powder smell, I have yet not had the opportunity to try in winter/cooler months, but I feel it will be much better for winter months, as I can detect a strange warmth in it.
16th June, 2014
Genre: Oriental

Chergui's opening is all spices, woods, and sweet resins. The spices in Chergui are so well blended that the individual notes are hard to distinguish, but I'm pretty sure I catch coriander, clove, and black pepper in the mix. However, an immense wave of syrup crashes over the arrangement to wash away the woods and carry Chergui through its drydown, though the final stage is lent some counterpoint by the faint cries of the drowning cloves and black pepper.

To my sorry nose, Chergui shares a base that's very similar to several other Lutens scents, including Arabie, Fumerie Turque, and Ambre Sultan. It starts out as a rich and interesting spicy oriental, but winds up overwhelmed by the out-of-balance and overly sweetened base notes.
11th June, 2014
Turin describes this as a tobacco oriental, but I disagree. I would call it a woody oriental (I am getting Aoud and Cedar) with the pungent spices (Cinnamon, Clove and Nutmeg) that are in Boucheron's Jaipur Homme, all rounded out by Amber, Vanilla and Tonka.

I got the tobacco and honey on my first application spray, but these notes have not emerged since and I've sprayed many times. The Aoud is there in the dry down, but just short of being harsh, tempered by the Cedar.

It is excellent and although copying a great deal the Jaipur, which preceded it by four years, can still stand on its own.
26th March, 2014
I do appreciate the sheer talent of Monsieur Lutens and Chergui is probably my favourite fragrance of all time. This is not a fragrance I wear to be noticed, or to project some kind of image or identity; this is a fragrance I wear for me and me only.

Almost gourmand in nature, it envelopes me with its beautiful, warming, and unique oriental self. There isn't much more I can say. Absolutely incredible.

Edit: A friend of mine bought himself a bottle of Chergui about a couple of months ago. It is a genuine product but is noticeably different to what I have. It has less depth and complexity compared with mine, bought quite a few years ago now. It is undeniably Chergui but it just isn't as arresting. The juice I reviewed may well have been pre a reformulation judging from this and other reviews and chatter I have seen online.
23rd March, 2014 (last edited: 27th July, 2015)
Finally I had a chance to sniff this guy and see what's all these exciting reviews about it.
Honestly I was expecting something much darker, but still it's a great fragrance.
The opening is warm and sweet honey smell mixed very natural and beautiful and strong cinnamon note plus tobacco and some herbal note in the background.
The herbal smell which is the hay note, give the tobacco note a dry and herbal feeling.
The tobacco note isn't that strong and potent.
It's there with enough power to give the sweet scent a good masculine aroma.
The ingredients quality is stunning. really high quality fragrance.
In the dry down the tobacco note start to fade away slowly and you can smell a little stronger herbal hay note and smoother cinnamon.
It's really warm and sweet and yummy!
In the base the tobacco and hay notes are really weak and they are completely in the background and now you can smell that warm honey sweet smell with some cinnamon. very sensual smell!
It's really interesting that the cinnamon isn't in the notes but you can smell it from the minute one to the last minutes on your skin!
A great quality fragrance and definitely unisex.
Projection is OK (not that strong) but longevity is good. around 6-7 hours on my skin and that's OK for me.
07th February, 2014
Chergui opens with a superb powdery-fruity balsamic and resinous accord on a beautiful base comprising sandalwood and tobacco notes. The Lutensian "syrupiness" is toned down by the powdery notes of violet/orris, the woody notes, and a subtle mossy/earthy vibe of hay and the "humid side" of tobacco. A sophisticated Oriental opulence, quite understated and not as "rich" as other Lutens' scents. As minutes pass it slowly dries turning into an orris-sandalwood accord with cinnamon, balsamic-ambery-benzoin notes, and an utterly elegant tobacco base, so dense and humid it almost smells like leather. A really refined scent, more simple and dry than other Lutens. The evolution is equally great and pleasant, and it slowly goes from Oriental to Mediterranean, as the mossy-earthy "pine forest" accord comes in blending with the Oriental bouquet of flowers and resins. All beautifully surrounded and supported by tobacco. Distinctive but "wearable" and versatile, refined and just gorgeous to smell from the beginning to the end, slightly more feminine and resinous than what it may look from the composition.

28th January, 2014 (last edited: 23rd May, 2014)
Cannes Show all reviews
Dry Desert Wind.

Chergui was my first Serge Lutens. After using up my sample, I had to have it. It's a warm dry wind enveloping you...like a cashmere sweater.

23rd September, 2013
Sexy,Warm Fragrance !!

This gem is beautifull crafted

CHERGUI is definitely a UNISEX but remember don't think it to be feminine..

It smells different on men n women..!!

The smells is very unique and i think it is the best creation from the house of SERGE LUTENS !!!

In winters it smells more fantastic !!

Pros: Very long Lasting,Smells Unique
Cons: MOderate Sillage"

28th July, 2013
Thick and sweet vanilla, honey, tobacco, cherry

I have this one and I agree, it is a unisex scent. It dries down to a very soft powdery/vanilla smell that leaves me wanting a little more depth, weight and complexity. After it dries down it moves more toward smelling somewhat too soft, in my opinion, because it loses that slightly musky "thick air" or heavy aspect that I like at first, although it never goes into floral territory. I tend to like edible scents like vanilla, fruits, spices but I also like forest floor, aromatics, moss, evergreen, wood, smoke and leathers so this one leaves me wanting a little more of that vetiver/sandalwood/musk/leather/moss or whatever... To me it has a decidedly "sophisticated" and "sexy" tone but I have to define what that means so I have to be "feeling it" to want to wear it.

Pros: Long lasting, unisex, pervasive but not aggressive
Cons: Unisex, dries down to a powdery, soft vanilla, loses depth and weight"

25th July, 2013
tobacco honey

One of the most easy to wear from Serge lutens and one of the its best-sellers. Many people will love it at first smell in perfumery but be carefull because it changes a lot after 10 minutes. I love Chergui, it is complex, sweet and deep, it's not a fragrance for everyone. Many men think it's too feminine, but it's totally unisex imo.

26th June, 2013
Powdery Pure Havane

This sweet cherry honeyed fragrance is not bad at all. Powdery vibe going on with this one. Kind of reminds me of Pure Havane minus the powdery vibe. I detect the hay which gives this a slight herbal vibe (very light though). A very good fragrance IMO. If you already own Pure Havane, I don't think there is really a need to get this one.

Pros: Cherry honey
Cons: Sweet and powdery

19th May, 2013
A warming scent on a winters day

Been wearing this solidly for 4 weeks. The hay note is very warming on a cold day and you get a hint of dry fruits and tobacco in the dry down which is very nice. Very wearable, good longevity, it's a winner in my book.

16th May, 2013
It goes on almost soapy-spicy, also very bright, but quickly turns to lovely spiced flowers, with a grassy/hay accord; soon imparting a sense of warming, verdant fields on a spring morning. This is much more close to nature than typical for this house. It is not heavy, syrupy, or fruity; rather it is fresh and slightly powdery, and as such is quite a departure for Lutens. I suppose the powdery flower is iris, but I also get a reserved suggestion of jasmine. As the tobacco unfolds, filling in the olfactory blanks below the flowers, this becomes rather stunning. Note, though, that this is not a tobacco dominant fragrance; the note is nowhere near as overt or sweet as in, say, Tobacco Vanille, to which Chergui has been compared for reasons I don’t quite understand. Dry woods enter to further support the above, providing as well a subtle background sharpness. I am trying to buy into the incense note. I suppose it is not out of the question, but this has nothing to do whatsoever with, for example, CdG incenses, various of Tauer’s offerings, Cardinal, etc. In drydown, honey makes its presence explicit and begins to dominate, the whole now leaning toward heady and sensual, while still remaining somewhat fresh and personable--an intriguing rather than discordant effect. What a journey. I find this to be straight-up unisex, but that is how I feel about most scents. Some guys might find the first hour a bit femme.
10th April, 2013