Reviews of Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Find out more about Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

guess it was reformulated, sillage was heavier, the smell richer and rounder...

24 March, 2014

zeemann3's avatar
    zeemann3

The perfect office scent.

06 March, 2014

HickorySmoke420's avatar
    HickorySmoke420

Over all I like it. It was a gift. I can't say I would buy another bottle of it when I run out. It's powdery but it is enjoyable to wear when I'm in the mood for it. Lasts about six hours or so on me. Haven't had any compliments with it but I do enjoy wearing it.

16 February, 2014

randydjack's avatar
    randydjack

Walk into your favorite barbershop. Get a trim. You deserve it. Bit of the old shave too, eh?

It's summer. Your barber's door is open. Every once in a while, you get the smell coming in from Saffron's, the new Indian joint that opened up next door.

It's getting rather frequent customer traffic as the shave continues. "Think I may try that indian food" you say to your barber, as he finishes up with the shave.

Prada Amber PH. There ya go.

Cheers.

20th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2014)

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Amber? On my skin? Where? A bit of citrus, vanilla, soapiness, very close to my skin, gone in less than two hours.....A mirage of a scent.

18 January, 2014

jayfly2412's avatar
    jayfly2412

the cleanest soapiest scent on the market! prada amber makes me think of expensive soap and baby powder. it lasts forever on my skin with decent projection. A must buy if you ask me. Also has a very nice dry down. Quality juice.
    One of my signature scents.
    projection 6/10
    longevity 9/10
    smell 10/10

15 January, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

Top-loaded with generic ‘masculine’ citric swill, the heart of this fragrance is in quite a different place. Which makes one wonder why the citrus opening was grafted on as it doesn’t harmonize at all.
    Eventually this perfume settles into soap – triple-milled and luxurious no doubt, but ho-hum. Whirling in a haze on its horizon is the real core of interest – a ball of sweet myrrh, saffron and cardamom – that could have been superb had it come into focus. As it is, only the cardamom eventually lends it milky spice to the soapy abundance. Pleasant, easy to wear but entirely unadventurous perfumes like this make me itch for a feral oud or a deep floral.
    However, I must add that a friend who wore this regularly always smelled huggable. Probably because perfume experienced on others is a somewhat indistinct waft, one barely goes beyond ‘nice’ and ‘mmm’ as descriptors – it’s different wearing it yourself, where all the shades of any particular beast are evident up close.

08 December, 2013

Stinkpot's avatar
    Stinkpot

Soapy and Floral

I tried this in Sephora and liked it enough to buy a little 9 ml online. After several wearings, I still like the clean, soapy vibe, but I've decided it's also a little to floral for me. Very high quality from Prada, but also definitely unisex rather than masculine. If you are one who puts on a frag then wonders if it's too feminine, you probably won't like this after a while.

Pros: Clean, soapy, long lasting
    Cons: May be too feminine for some"

26 October, 2013

Preston H's avatar
    Preston H

Soapy goodness

From 07 to present, I was and still am, in a niche phase. And in doing that I overlooked something I wish I was wearing seven years ago. Amber pour homme is a very clean elegant take on amber. Cardamom is a dominant player here, never cared for it before, but now its very pleasant to my nose. Patchouli and labdanum provide an earthy quality and prevents this from becoming a sweet, spicefest. I love this stuff. I've been wearing it for 4 days in a row and plan on wearing til they discontinue it.

Pros: Spicy clean smelling
    Cons: None"

02 September, 2013

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Stunning Scent.

I like to put "similar to", but there really is nothing like Amber pour Homme. The Intense version is nothing like the original, so don't even waste your time.

Amber is a landmark in men's designer perfumes, in my honest opinion. An excellent combination of soapy notes, floral notes, and lots of incense. But, Amber.. where is the amber? I certainly pick up on none, but that's a good thing for me, because it's not a note I am fond of. To me, it basically just smells like lots of lavender (although this note isn't listed), and lots of incense. It smells like a modern Drakkar Noir to me. People say this is like an expensive high quality soap, and I couldn't agree with that more. That's the best way to sum it up. Unfortunately, longevity lacks a bit on my skin, and the "Intense" version certainly doesn't amplify it, it's an entirely different fragrance.

Ya want a good soapy scent? Ya wanna get compliments? This is the way to go. Prada's only really good men's fragrance in my opinion.

Pros: Unique, comforting.
    Cons: Longevity."

30th August, 2013

Oldspice's avatar
    Oldspice

Meh

At first this does smell soapy and a little like a stripped down, diluted Le Male. At the drydown a soft vanilla note emerges. Light projection. I wasn't wowed by the other Pradas I tried and this one was no different.

27 June, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

I give it an "A" for effort. Despite no amber listed, I did catch a whiff of ambroxan when I first sprayed the card. Now an hour later, I don't smell it on the card anymore. A hint of cardamom, suede, and tonka give it some depth. Clean soapy notes round it out. It stands out a step above the line-up on the fragrance counter.

05 May, 2013

Tripfall's avatar
    Tripfall

I don't get the hate this seems to provoke. Or the paranoia about it's effeminizing properties. That "soapy" note in the drydown is mostly vetiver. Despite the nominal "amber," this is actually Encre Noir lite. That's not a bad thing. This is for those days when scent-wise you feel like travelling light.

28 March, 2013

NathanBradley's avatar
    NathanBradley

I have to admit this smells like a sophisticated fragrance. I really liked it in the store and I smelled this several times before buying it. But now all I have to say is yuck. It is a very sickening fragrance and I wouldn't dare put this on in the summertime.

27 March, 2013

haduken's avatar
    haduken

Starts off smelling a little too feminine for me, then just smell like soap.

12 March, 2013

olfactorium's avatar
    olfactorium
    Belgium Belgium

When i was a boy of a very young age i used to get my father's leather cap he used to wear from the top shelf of the closet.The inside was spanned by a very smooth slik and it smelled exactly like this prada except for the terrorizing vanilla/tonka which in this prada really own the main control of the whole fragrance. And no matter how many times i got that cap and put on just to imitate my dad the insade always smelled of this ambery,slightly filthy, dark matter with a stealthy musky note and left in ruines by the time citrus notes especially bergamot. I guess the perfumer was inspired by some older fragrance that exsisted in the earlier years. You wouldnt dare to wear this prada on a hot day when the air is virtually static and the humidity is punishing. After couple of hours the vanilla/tonka takes over with not much left of that busy almost humming base of amberris and vetiver and a very tiny musc althogh the musc lingers on no matter what and boosts vanilla/tonka combo even stronger. At the end of the day i found myself being tired of that smell.It kinda deprives you of your "freedom of scent" so i cought myself being able to smell nothing but it by the end of the day.And i cant really associate this smell with any kind of occasion or style-it suites everyone but in the same time no one.It fits in every situation but in the same time you cant link any scenery to this scent in a understandable way.Although the whole idea is very pretty. Quite lively and pithy.

20th January, 2013

FragOut's avatar
    FragOut

This oozes style, sophistication and class. The perfectly blended tones create a fresh, clean elegant scent, reminiscent of $1000 a night hotel soap. The mix of notes is sturdy, yet never overpowering and has a real understated elegance. The hint of sweetness has an addictive quality that entices you in time and time again but doesn't dominate it. All the ingredients smell expensive and natural, which just adds to the sophistication.

Longevity is not beast-like but holds it own. In terms of versatility this can be used for most occasions, whether it is work, date, club or just walking round the shops. It is also perfect for wearing with a suit.

Ultimately, Prada Amber stands out from the crowd, by not being the loudest but for being understated and elegant. A real classy scent.

01st January, 2013

's avatar

This scent makes me feel calm, clean and relaxed. Smells classy.
    Actually there's no amber here, so this should be called Prada Soap Pour Homme.
    Yes it's soapy but i dont care.
    Definetely a must have! It's an all-year-around winner.
    If you're looking for an real amber scent, get Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan or/and MPG Ambre Precieux - there are real amber based scents.
    Sillage and projection are low-medium. Lasting power is great, about 8 hours. Thumbs up!

30th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2013)

comfortablynumbbg's avatar
    comfortablynumbbg
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

It's average to me. Just soap. Has to be perhaps the soapiest of them all. Not a big fan of the genre.

08 December, 2012

Chris1788's avatar
    Chris1788

The most wonderful clean and soapy scent I own.

I think it's a little more complex than a lot of people give it credit for, and this is especially true in the Summertime when you really get a great impression of all the notes. Many people treat this as a Winter fragrance but it's something I prefer wearing in the Summer.

Longevity for me is minimum 10 hours, lasts all day, perfect for office use.

Something that could be considered unisex, haven't received many compliments on this one but it's very agreeable and I really really enjoy wearing it to the office.

27 November, 2012

abethouin's avatar
    abethouin

Meh, not particularly bad but not really good either. extremely soapy and powdery. It's okay I guess. Haven't reached for it in months.

04 November, 2012

theonlywaste's avatar
    theonlywaste

This right here is one of my favorite scents. Expensive soap, and done extremely well.

10th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 December, 2012)

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

This soapy sweet fragrance is nicely done. Something you and your lady can use (And believe me, she will want to use this one). To me, this is the best men's fragrance Prada has made thus far.

04 October, 2012

Shoot4dastarz's avatar
    Shoot4dastarz

Indeed like a Classy Elegant soap. Very fresh and clean smell. I would wear this to work, church or a job interview. Very upscale. I blind bought it and its great for the purposes that I mentioned. Could be pulled off as a signature scent but I personally wouldn't.

01st October, 2012

KJS88's avatar
    KJS88

Amber Pour Homme is a rare thing for me in the fragrance world; I like it, I love it, but it is one of those creations that truly bugs me in a way.

It is very typically 'Prada', but there's little Amber to it. I have this niggling wish that a particular stage of this scent lasted much longer: about about three minutes after spraying, until twenty-five minutes hence into the dry down. This stage is a perfectly balanced combinations of soapy, clean, fresh, warm, musky, sweet, floral, spice.

Unfortunately, thereafter it quickly descends into a rather indistinct, but still very 'Prada' dry down of white musky soap. It loses the beauty of that stage I love so much; you can still smell hints of it, but its no where near as good.

I think it would benefit from a re-working, and perhaps even a wider range of products: it would be gorgeous in soap, shaving cream, and body lotion form. Silver metal cannisters.

As it is though, its very nice. Has a similar feeling--not a similar smell at all--but a similar feeling in terms of aura and construction to l'Heure Bleue.

14 September, 2012

Teach13's avatar
    Teach13

I'm new to the world of fragrance. I'm still learning all the different notes, what they mean, etc. Here's what I know: the olfactory system can stir up images/memories. When I sprayed this on my wrist, I liked the smell. I felt a sense of calm comfort. Yet...an image disturbed me. When I had my wife smell it later, she had the exact same reaction. She really liked the smell, but...it made us both think of our grandmothers. Not the reaction you want out of a cologne.

13 August, 2012

VanAllan's avatar
    VanAllan
    Romania Romania

Prada Man is one of my favourite after shave applying fragrances when I dress up a clean shirt for work or even casually after a long shower in a sunny Sunday morning. Clean, luxury soapy, little herbal, complex development and long-lasting, it makes me feel relaxed, clean and confident.
    Personally I have no issues with its so called feminine side because it delivers fully a soapiness -freshness that I expect from it and that's enough for me.
    Worth mentioning that after testing about 10-15 'new' fragrances I bought relatively cheap a big splash bottle and I use a few drops over a neutral moisturizing cream that make miracles on my skin: projection is very good and the overall feeling is fantastic. I just love it. My rank 8.5/10.

31st July, 2012

silvarga's avatar
    silvarga

I'm testing Prada APH today, and I'm just not quite sure about it.

It's not a masculine smell, but also really not feminine either. Others have mentioned that it smells rather soapy, and I think I can somewhat agree with that. To me, it smells a bit old-time-y and not even unisex so much as well... Asexual.

During the first hour of wearing it, it conjured up a feeling of being very well dressed and sitting in a private dining cart on a vintage train. The air of the train slowly filling with the scent of a little box of individually wrapped victorian powdered lavender candies gifted to me by my septuagenarian companion for being such a smartly-dressed and well-mannered grandson.

This brought on something else that I have to say I've never had that happen before:
    When I first sprayed it on this morning, I was planning to wear something casual and sporty in either yellow or blue, but after about 15 minutes of wearing Prada APH, I felt like I absolutely *HAD* to change into something befitting the scent, and thus left the house in a more formal gray and lavender.

03 July, 2012

kierroo's avatar
    kierroo
    Scotland Scotland

Prada Amber is always the fragrance I spray on if i'm caught without cologne in a department store. It's personally one of my favourite, fresh, clean and soapy. Something you want to wake up spelling on a sunny morning.

It does smell like an up-market soap but it very well made fragrance, the only quiff I may have with buying a bottle. Is the longevity and projection, it seems to be lacking a few times i have sprayed this one. But maybe you want someone you like close, so they smell this wonderful fragrance and are not one to brag.

14 June, 2012

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

It's fresh, clean, and a bit on the unique side. PAPH is the type of fragrance that may make people wonder if you're not just "super fresh and clean," as opposed to wearing a fragrance. It could be interpreted as "soapy," but, the comparisons to hotel soap just aren't accurate. It also could be interpreted as "syrupy," but it's never cloying, overpowering, or nuclear. While wearing this all I wanted to do was find excuses to get close to people so they could partake in my magical presence.

I will be buying myself a bottle.

20th April, 2012