Negative Reviews of Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Find out more about Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

Amber? On my skin? Where? A bit of citrus, vanilla, soapiness, very close to my skin, gone in less than two hours.....A mirage of a scent.

18 January, 2014

Oldspice's avatar

Meh

At first this does smell soapy and a little like a stripped down, diluted Le Male. At the drydown a soft vanilla note emerges. Light projection. I wasn't wowed by the other Pradas I tried and this one was no different.

27 June, 2013

NathanBradley's avatar

I have to admit this smells like a sophisticated fragrance. I really liked it in the store and I smelled this several times before buying it. But now all I have to say is yuck. It is a very sickening fragrance and I wouldn't dare put this on in the summertime.

27 March, 2013

abethouin's avatar

Meh, not particularly bad but not really good either. extremely soapy and powdery. It's okay I guess. Haven't reached for it in months.

04 November, 2012

Matttmj's avatar

Putrid smell that so expertly captures that generic, incense/deodorizer smell in EVERY Indian Food Store and bead store that I have ever been within. Roughly....a strong, lavender soapy, starchiness with a glittering, electric current running through it, whose amber notes try in vain to mellow out the stench. This could easily double as the lavender floor cleaner Fabuloso made popular in Mexico and the Southwestern U.S., and no one would know the difference.

30th January, 2012

Suave Scenter's avatar

As others have said, this scent is essentially a fancy soap smell. I was disappointed with this for the simple fact that if I wanted to smell like soap I would take a shower instead of buying a $60 bottle of cologne. It doesn't smell bad but it is strong. It receives a thumbs down because I expect more out of a cologne of this magnitude.

Nothing special. Pass.

21st October, 2011

photofinish's avatar

A sweet opening of gum balls and powdered florals, takes an unexpected turn for the bizarre when it abruptly degrades into an enduring laundry starch and shampoo aroma.

29 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2011)

Vasily's avatar

Yet another "modern" frag for the "young man", indistinguishable from all the other "modern young" frags on your local department store's counter. Boring.

10th September, 2011

divinesoul's avatar

India India

This gives me a very bad headache.

Not at all for me. Totally endorse SHAHEEN'S review . Please test this before buying

14 August, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

Very synthetic and strange. Opens with a candied windex vibe that I'd argue is very unisex (sometimes a hard thing to achieve, so I repsect that!). It should burn, or it should be too chemical, but it doesn't until later, which is even stranger. There's a little spice and a little violet (?), but it's just unendingly sweet, with a little of that devilish note that I always interpret as cherry. And as usual, the amber sweetness is shrill and piercing, like honey on steroids, and this undoes the breeziness that I suspect the other notes are trying to impart (they remind me of Sure Original Scent antiperspirant). I find it only indirectly soapy, in the way that Geir's cherry is soapy, or that Richard James' heavy men's room florals are soapy. The base is a bit more woody, but with a medicinal cherry wood like M7. Ultimately, though, rather than using soap that smells like this, I'd more likely go get some Sure and some Geir. I've graduated from this type of fragrance.

30th May, 2011

alfarom's avatar

In 2003 Miuccia Prada realized that her family company was one of the few in the fashion industry not to have a fragrances line yet, and in a rush she committed to four perfumeurs a bunch of scents to build up her own range.

She also decided that she needed actually two different lines of perfumes, one for the department stores market and a luxurious one to be sold only in her flaghsip stores. She had the great idea to give french names to her "cheaper" products and for the "exclusives" ones she decided that the best option was to entitle them in a "Chanel-number-name" way. Genious! She made sure to have a citrus fragrance in her line together with an amber one, myrrh, rose, leather, tuberose, amber, vetiver and of course...iris. Everything was perfect...well, almost everything. In less than 10 years she gave us more than 20 new fragrances, but we really needed them?

There's only one thing Mrs Prada hasn't considered. Tradition! Her perfumes clearly lacks in tradition. You can have big budgets to hire the best perfumeurs working on expensive raw materials, but if you have no clue the result is what we now have from Prada's scents. Crude, trite and banal emulations of other perfumes, and "Ambra per Uomo" (italian for Amber Pour Homme) perfectly reach this level.

Concluding: Miuccia Prada is not as brilliant in committing perfumes as she is in committing clothes and manufacturing leather accessories, and IMO it doesn't take 8 years and a bunch of money to become Chanel, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Hermes or even Comme Des Garcons.

10th April, 2011

jamman's avatar

I had really high hopes for Prada's first men's cologne. I just could not get into it.

02 March, 2010

CharlesB's avatar

Opening is way too sweet, and feminine.

17 February, 2010

MrFragranceReview's avatar

I fail to see how this is an amber fragrance. I got a sample the other day in the mail and I was excited to try it out.
    It starts off extremely sharp and soapy and very feminine.

It smells synthetic, sweet, very soapy, feminine and I don't detect any amber at all. Horribly done fragrance. The worst part about it is the insane soapiness that makes you cringe.

04 February, 2010

Masculine? You decide

Not for me

12 September, 2009

chamelion's avatar

this stuff is strong and the florals are overwhelming it smells like a womans perfume and its just too expensive and strong but im sure some people like it

just a little spicy and warm for my tastes

28 August, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

To me, complete waste of time and money.

Light oriental with fresh balsamic structure. Nothing especially masculine here, could easily be worn by women if they like. The smell reminds me of some cheap subtly scented lotion.

Utterly boring simple blend that is extremely vague to my nose. It is smooth and well balanced I admit that, but without any depth or vividness and most importantly; the actual aroma has not a single compelling nuance to it whatsoever. Just a big massive *bleh.*

It is hard for me to see how anyone with exciting taste could be intrigued by this, really. That’s why it has been a bit confusing to read some of the reviews, because there are one or two people showing their thumbs up; one or two people whose taste I have always been keen to.

I presume there is a slight chance that this would grow a bit on me if I tested it more, but it would never be worth the full bottle at all.

And after all, I am NOT even interested in testing this anymore. We have met enough times in this life.

This is not the worst fragrance in the world naturally, but the thing is that I could easily name 500 fragrances for me personally that I find more interesting than this, and by the way, that list would include Prada Intense (Women) that is also very much wearable by men…

30th July, 2009

Larwiz's avatar

This one I don't get. It smells like spray starch to me. I really don't get it. Maybe I haven't given it enough time to dry down?

08 January, 2009

ProfessorPlum's avatar

A bit soapy, as others have said; though not a masculine soapy smell. Not an unpleasant smell, but very feminine to my nose. I should add that I'm not at all someone that insists on rugged manliness from my scents - I rather enjoy many unisex frags. Still, this one veers too far into delicate bath soaps for my tastes. Try before you buy.

26 November, 2008

thecheekyscamp's avatar

I don't get it. It just smells like bubblebath. No progression, no evolution, just... bubblebath

20th October, 2008

Bigsly's avatar

Well, I've come to agree with some of the negative reviews after wearing this a few times. There is a sharp, throat-closing soapiness to this that makes it unwearable for me (so now I agree with SirSlarty). If you don't detect this, then you might like it, but I really don't see anything special about it. If I liked this kind of fragrance, I'd reach for Yves Rocher's Iris Noir instead (Luca Turin thinks it works well as a "masculine," for instance). I'll also mention that I no longer would compare it to Richard James Savile Row, which has more dimensions and lacks the sharp soapy quality.

Old "newbie" review: I agree with wsr93 that this is not an "amber frag," but I disagree with SirSlarty about the sharpness. With one spray to the chest, it is very mild, yet quite pleasant. It's not a floral "soapy" either, and it doesn't really register with me as "soapy" at all, though I understand why some would think so (I only use unscented soap, so I don't have to worry about these associations). It's actually a milder version of Richard James Savile Row. It's got a dusty yet not dry quality to it, which is very nice. I enjoy this as a "change of pace" fragrance, but would get bored with it if I wore it every day.

12 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2009)

syidi_radzi's avatar

the opening note is very refreshing, a subtle amber and yes, it's soapy, later it settles down to be very intense and sickly sweet... the longevity is great, but it's only the horrid drydown notes that lingers...

29 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Soapy and sharp. Like a normal bar of soap with some rosemary or some other biting, tangy spice thrown into its mold. Not my style. Very sickening and I can't emphasize how "sharp" this feels to the nose. It dulls quickly though, vanishing into thin air like a ninja assassin with a hangover.

06 June, 2008

wsr93's avatar

Prada is well known for playing cruel jokes on her customers. This is one of the worst. There is nothing "amber" about this. All of the notes this supposedly contains form one big, unidentifiable cacophony that most closely resembles a cheap aerosol hairspray. Sharp, pungent, and lasts entirely too long. At least it's not terribly expensive.

28 April, 2008

Carl999's avatar

Ergh! I can't stand this one!

It smells like th type of sickly-sweet deoderant that teen-aged girls purchase from the toilettries aisle in the super-market!

Sweet, syrupy, "fake" smelling and just...aweful explains it...

No class, just sicklyness. This is the type of fragrance that teen-aged girls want tp buy as their first perfume, and the their mother says "no - you don't want to end up smelling like a hooker!"

Its bad enough that they made this a men's perfume!

15 June, 2007

Aqua1's avatar

stinks. It is sickly smelling and has a real artificial smell to it.

23 April, 2007

Bruspotter's avatar

Belgium Belgium

It is extremely overpowering and sickly. I friend of mine wears this and it just does not smell as if it belongs on a man. It reminds me of the smell of little old ladies in fur coats. There seems to be a lot of cardomum in this. I don't know why anyone would want to smell like this.

02 April, 2007

qees's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

this one is way too girly. No real man can wear this. Please give your girl the prada for women and find yourself an other one.

27 January, 2007

Lone Wolf's avatar

England England

Bit of a dissapointment, as Prada clothes for men are classy understated & masculine. This fragrace is very feminie though, to my taste. I'll probably give this away to my sister. May suit a metrosexual I suppose, but this is not my cup of tea.

21st January, 2007

JP1's avatar

oh my goodness me. what an absolute disgrace of a scent. and to think this came from a 'respectable' power house like prada. stick to the female market guys.

don't waste your money on this. it is an afront to all basenoters!

23 December, 2006