Reviews of Mediterraneum by Versace

Find out more about Mediterraneum by Versace in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Orpheus99's avatar

Smells like a light version of Le Male mixed with some bright citrus when you first spray it on. After about 15 minutes, pleasant spices start to develop. This has good projection. I smell the spices from a distance, light Le Male when I put put my nose close. Lasted about 3 hours on me before it faded down. I can see myself wearing this from time to time.

04th August, 2011

Swanky's avatar

The amount of follow-the-leader played by the designer fragrance market is disconcerting. At the time, Mediterraneum seemed like a Minotaure ripoff with its featured note of sweet orange. A decade-and-a-half later and this looks like more of an individual compared to the current landscape.

I'm not especially fond of the opening of Med, nor of the orange-heavy center section. Where Mediterraneum shines is in the drydown. Like a well-crafted story that seems a bit scattered until the final sentence ties it all together - the drydown presages, by three years, the drydown of Opium Pour Homme.

I could go with a neutral thumb, but for the cheap price and the solid longevity and nice drydown, I'll give this the benefit of the not quite reluctant thumbs-up.

04th February, 2011

Sunsetspawn's avatar

I wanted to say that Mediterraneum isn't a good name for this fragrance, but then I remembered that I've never left the US and perhaps it is a good name. It's great stuff, regardless of whether or not the name is appropriate. Every description here is accurate. This is a big, sweet, spicy orange. There is also some patchouli and light woods underneath, and although the patchouli doesn't seem that noticeable, it really is steering the ship. It's what causes this fragrance to stay out of the "light," so to speak.

So as fantastic as this is, there really is another question at stake here. Due to the fact that this is discontinued, is it worth seeking out and becoming attached? Is it worth the risk of getting a watered down bottle from a scammer on an auction site?

I don't know yet, but I have a listing in my favorites.

10th October, 2010

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Good thing I never saw any advertising for Mediterraneum to provide me an unfair bias. And even if some of the reviewers mentioned it can be bought cheaply online or everywhere else, it's certainly not a fixture here where I'm from, in fact I found this on the bottom shelf of an obscure frag shop. Cheap notions aside, this is a great fragrance from Versace, a great take on citrus. It's not a bright, sparkly concoction, as many citrus frags out there have been doing now...it's a dark, heavy citrus that isn't cloying, like an orange that has been left out in the sun -- its opening hook is just right to bring you in, revealing a deep middle that continues to entice. On the description, it was made for / or modeled by Fabio, and interestingly enough, it might as well be. A big masculine citrus scent that doesn't take any prisoners, but isn't too brash to turn off people. I only have a 50ml bottle; it might as well be the only 50ml bottle I have that I want backup bottles of immediately.

06th April, 2010

LilianNY's avatar

I love this stuff. Bought my bottle at Bendels on clearance at least 10 years ago and use very sparingly because sometimes I want something lighter.... also a little goes a long way and on me, lasts all day. This is a spicy/musky/patchouli to me, reminds me a little of the Tom Ford White Orchid. I think it is geared toward men, but I wear it also (for ref I love Tea for Two, Hadrien Body Cream, Cristalle edT and The Pour Un Ete). I don't know what they were thinking with the marketing, but it definitely doesn't seem to be a "Fabio" type of scent. I see that they are a bargain on ebay now so will probably try a bottle to see if it is the same stuff. My bottle has a blue plastic cap with a little metal look over it. I'm surprised how little info I can find on this. Would also love to know more about the Mediterraneum Donna if anyone has tried it.

15th April, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Wonderfully strong. Like a huge spicy orange. Cheap and good smelling, how could you go wrong? (Other than it doesn't last long) Still love it.

26th May, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

Yes, it's true -- the "dry down" IS very reminiscent of Balenciaga. Cheap on eBay, and worth every scent. Great for anyone on a budget -- warm, deep, only a tad of a longevity issue.

22nd October, 2006

Randolph314's avatar

This is extremely similar to Bleu Marine by Cardin. This is somewhat better done-it's more subtle and less sharp. But, it still boils down to a sweet pepper note that I find somewhat sickly. Longevity and sillage are good.

18th October, 2006

iMaverick's avatar

I bought this blind, not caring what it smelled like, just because it's been discontinued, found large bottles for cheap on eBay, and a well liked scent by members here on the Basenotes forum. It starts off fresh, yet warm and vanillic, then devlops to a warm, woodsy character reminiscent to Balenciaga Pour Homme, but smells much more refined. I think it's an undeniable, unique, classic. Regardless of the fact that Fabio was the face that promoted this scent, it heralds a class that exceeds the paperback/celebrity scent image and makes it a truly well crafted scent that should be sought out by a true fragrance lover.

Find and get it while bottles of it are still around.

21st May, 2006

Versace AND Fabio. Hmmm…It IS rather flamboyant in its opening. It’s mainly citrus and lavender and there’s an aromatic of some sort. I’m ashamed to admit it, but as gaudy and cheap as it is, I kind of like it because it isn’t cloying or even very artificial. Then there’s the middle section which is primarily greens and florals—a real snoozer. The dry down is quite restrained and rather nice, and I see that they have everything but the kitchen sink in it—anything regularly used as a basenote is in this one. Doesn’t last very long …not a bad fragrance…really…...

20th May, 2006

mao's avatar

I'm not sure if I'd use it on myself in public, but I'll cop to spraying it on my pillow and sleeping especially good - my slumber replete with dreams of attractive, swarthy men. I guess that's a good review of sorts. Oh, and I bought it on ebay for like 18 dollars. I'll probably buy it again once this runs out, since my boyfriend has been stealing it when I'm not looking. I suspect he's trying to move in on my relationship with pillow.

26th February, 2006

cool's avatar

Poland Poland

One of the best oriental-woody scents I ever used. Warm, deep, aromatic. Starts very strong and intensive with floral and cedar (?) notes, middle is less interesting but the drydown is deep, woody, sophisticated and very nice.

19th June, 2004