Reviews of Eau de Santal by Floris

Eau de Santal is the shy, more educated and sophisticated older brother of Gucci Envy.
While Eau de Santal is reading a book in his Oxford study room (Lady Chatterley's Lover, for science), his little more extravert brother is taking a ride in the woods with his dog, after his work as a gardener.
It almost reminds me as the less velvety, less sweet version of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme.
It is very rounded, smooth, not much sillage, nice drydown.
I get smooth lavender, spices, vanilla, all very smooth, not strong, but delicate and natural.
It can be used in every situation, it is so rounded, fresh, sophisticated.
I wish it was stronger. It can be a signature scent, it's made of good ingredients by the old house of Floris.
I bought it straight from their internet shop, came in a nice wrapped, ribboned package, and a nice sample.
Though, for 99 Euro, I will not buy again, it's just too quiet, nice for me.
I like it more loud.
projection: 7 (out of 10)
longevity: 8/9
overall: 8
01st July, 2015
jcw122 Show all reviews
Reminds me of LIDG

The first time I tried EDS I was underwhelmed, but after trying it again I am pretty impressed. It smells great, kind of reminds me of summer evenings getting ready for an exciting night...like that calm before the storm. It actually reminds me of LIDG without the lipstick note.

Smells: Soft, flowery, powdery, yet with an undertone of aggression. I can't really describe the notes beyond the powdery sweetness.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's something that I would like to wear, nor is it something I'd like to smell on a woman, unless it is a much more mature or older woman.

Pros: Soft and subtle
Cons: Lacks sillage"

09th July, 2013
Marais Show all reviews
Spicy vanilla

A smooth, lightly-spiced vanilla. Unlike many vanilla-dominant scents it isn't heavy, cloying, nor too sweet for non-teenagers. I don't know where the name 'Santal' comes from, I can't detect any. As others have noted, there's a resemblance to Gucci Envy for Men but Envy is much denser and Santal lacks amber and ginger. A heavily-diluted Jaipur Homme might be nearer the mark. Dubious comparisons aside, it's a versatile, office-safe, affable oriental, light enough to wear year round, with appropriate dosing. Longevity is good but sillage is low. I get 8 subdued hours from 5 sprays. P.S. this layers well with the inexpensive Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood, which amplifies the spice notes.

Pros: Versatile, good longevity
Cons: No sandalwood

23rd May, 2013

Too masculine for me to wear, but I love this on my boyfriend: a classic pairing of vanilla and lavender, a male version of Patou's classic feminine, Moment Supreme.
01st October, 2012
It opens with a watery lemon which quickly gives way to a cardamom and nutmeg with a slight hint of vanille. It gets soft and spicy with the pepper and clove mixing in with the ingredients.

I find this very refined and restrained and would make a perfect office or anytime and anywhere fragrance. It smells really nice and I love the soft spice which is the "star accord" within this fragrance. The only thing I wish is that the volume of the fragrance was slightly turned up as it does feel to quiet for its own good. Nice fragrance though.
26th July, 2012
A lot of people like this one among sandalwood scents, but to me it's really an odd mix. Of all the sweet, vanillic sandalwoods, I recall thinking that this stuff takes the cake, going beyond the sweet concoctions of Trumpers Sandalwood and Truefitt Spanish Leather, though I'm not getting that as much this time. The opening is still reassuringly sharp, but with a very christmas-wreath sharpness and some leather underneath. There's a period in the mid notes where I find a surprisingly smooth and suave nutmeg, without its usual bite, and this fits nicely over the coniferous wreath notes. This phase is like a more refined and balanced Rocabar, with less vanilla. I thought I remembered cherry cough syrup emerging from the forest notes last time, but now I'm only getting smooth and slightly medicinal wood. Finally it hits me, though: some kind of unearthly mango or banana, the same that appears in spades in Lucky Number 6, making a sort of fruity oriental over the wood. It's much more restrained here, though, and doesn't upset the overall balance. If I didn't recognize this surprising connection, and a sudden similarity to Gucci Envy in the final base notes, I'd have just said Floris Santal is an unnaturally sweet woody oriental. Since I found those links, though, and especially the fruit component, I've warmed up to it as if I suddenly got where the scent is coming from.
15th December, 2011
drseid Show all reviews
Eau de Santal is a creamy sweet woody blend with peppercorn and sandalwood notes. I find this one not having too many notes outright stand out, instead just mixing perfectly with one another. Sillage is pretty good in my experience, as is longevity. Very nice overall scent and the aftershave splash version is an excellent complement to the cologne. Just as an aside, this smells nearly identical to the Extreme version, so if you liked one, you almost certainly will like the other... they both have tremendous longevity on my skin. One of my favorites from the house of Floris, Eau de Santal earns an excellent 4 stars out of 5.
03rd July, 2011 (last edited: 02nd January, 2013)
Gucci Envy For Men anyone? A nice fresh/spicy oriental composition that's way too similar to the previously mentioned fragrance (except for the ginger). While you can still have the "original" there're no reasons to choose Floris Santal, but it could become a good replacement as Gucci Envy for Men has just been discontinued and it probably will become unavailable in the near future.
30th June, 2011 (last edited: 05th August, 2011)
This starts spicy and rich. Even in the opening there are hints of sweet vanilla. The hint gets bigger, and sweeter. In the early stages, Santal smells like a lot of sweet woody men’s scents. Nothing remarkable or distinctive here. Eventually, some creamy sandalwood notes emerge, but they are not inspiring.
I’m coming down negative on this scent, for its wasted potential of ingredients. Spices? Very little. Green grass? None. Lavender, frankincense or vetiver? None.
But hey – there is VANILLA! Bleh.
08th August, 2010
Top notes: Bergamot, black pepper, cardamon, green grass, lemon
Mid notes: Clove bud, lavender, nutmug
Base notes: Amber, cedar wood, frankinsense, musk, sandalwood, vanilla, vetiver

Alas, Floris has thrown in its lot with the cheap synthetics.

Given better quality raw materials this could be a delightful gentleman's fragrance. It starts with an eye-opening burst of citrus (orange/lemon) with a strong supporting cast of pepper and fresh grass. The effect is effervescent and refreshing - ready to take on the day.

Unfortunately that doesn't last long and it's all down hill from there into the harsh woods and heavy musk. At the drydown it's virtually identical to Penhaligon's Endymion, maybe a bit cruder.

Don't be fooled by the name. If you're looking for a rich, deep sandalwood fragrance, keep looking.

Someone reviewing Arber by Body Shoppe said it was a "carbon copy" of Floris Eau de Santal. It isn't even close according to my nose. They both share a pepper note, but they are otherwise completely different.

22nd January, 2010 (last edited: 24th July, 2011)
Wow! I love this one. Exquisite. Light and refined; the lightness is not a fault, it is an aspect of its refinement, an attribute that adds to the character of this osphretic elixir. Floris Santal is similar but far superior to Gucci's Envy; I have always had my reservations about Envy and could never bring myself to be more than indifferent about it. Floris Santal, however, is simply a delight; envy has something to envy after all. Oriental's have always piqued the attention of my olfactory sense: this one is worthy of much attention. I enjoy the comforting whiffs afforded throughout its development. A select favorite.
08th January, 2010 (last edited: 19th March, 2010)
This is not a "toned down" version of Gucci Envy but rather a more refined one.

The sweetness of the heart is beautifully balanced by the peppery spice. Masterfully balanced this one is for the self assured gentleman who feels no need to scream.

23rd July, 2009
It is a good fresh spicy woody fragrance. Light, natural and for sure very well made (In its own right). Smells classy and distinguished straight from the bottle. It developes into a very subtle yet rich blend of woods and light musk. Quite long lasting but wears extremely close to the skin.

Not bad, but eventually not my personal style at all. Way too quiet and refined for my tastes – kind of usual problem for me with these aristocratic British creations.
15th February, 2009

It instantly became one of my all time favourites. You can't get much better than Floris Santal... This is a glaringly beautiful, utterly refined and highly elegant fragrance. Its warmth and softness, combined with the depth and complexity of its development, place this magnificent cologne in the very restrained world of monumental fragrances.

The bright, invigorating opening burst of bergamot, although absolutely fabulous, doesn't really prefigures the magical follow-up. After a few minutes, the soft, almost delicate mid notes break through. The experience is one in a million... a pure, yet complex sensation of joy, uplift and sophistication enshrouds you in an almost magical mix of emotions. A delicate touch of spices prevent it from becoming cloying. Nothing is too much, nothing is too little, everything is perfectly balanced.

After about two hours, Santal turns into a woody, mossy, ambery, but still creamy and mellow scent. Even at this stage of the development, the fragrance conserves its soft, warm, calming nature. From start to finish, this is mere perfection.

The iconic house of Floris has fulfilled its grandiose reputation... again!
01st January, 2009

I was annoyed with Floris that they discontinued Sandalwood, and because of that I was ready to dislike Santal… Didn’t work. I like it… not nearly as much as I like Sandalwood, but it is still a very good fragrance.

A sophisticated bergamot / green / spice accord opens up Eau de Santal – It’s an excellent opening rich and grounded: The opening immediately turns subtle and eventually moves to a spicy demeanor – pepper, nutmeg, clove, back grounded by a light lavender – I haven’t yet found the cardamom through several testings. The sandalwood is immediately apparent. I believe that it is more the creamy variety sandalwood than the aromatic, but and it is strongly supported by an aromatic cedarwood and frankincense that give it more body, breadth, and effusion. I didn’t think I would meet an accord this nice in Santal, so this is a pleasant surprise. The spices deliver but the wood takes precedence. I also love the richness and masculinity of the drydown… it is woody, incensy, musky, and a tad ambery: wood with a resinous tinge and a touch of sweetness. I think that I can see this as an Envy for Men that is more refined and subtle. It doesn’t have the Envy signature note in very much strength, but the supporting notes are quite similar to the background in Envy. Eau de Santal has limited sillage from my skin and marginal longevity so I won’t be purchasing it.

16th December, 2008
JaimeB Show all reviews
It does smell a bit like sandalwood, though there's none in the pyramid. Basically, it's the spices and the patchouli-oakmoss that make this scent. Bergamot is always a nice touch... I suppose this is technically not a chypre, because there's tree moss rather than oakmoss in it, but it kind of qualifies. I like this for cooler (but not cold) weather. It does seem to project a bit, but not excessively. It's warm and slightly spicy because of the clove bud oil and cardamom. Like many Floris masculines, it's "safe" for office wear, so I'll go with that for a casual Friday.
20th November, 2008
Nice scent. Like Creed's Original Santal but lighter which in turn means it a very, very light version of Joop! Homme. Also reminds me a bit of Cool Water/Green Irish Tweed (which also smells like JF). Overall, it's nice.
12th October, 2008
On my first use, I felt this had promise. However, subsequent wearings were unpleasant for me: I find it to be monotonous a bit too sweet. The notes listed in the directory are incomplete, so I provide those listed at the Floris website.

Top notes: bergamot, black pepper, cardamom, green grass, lemon
Heart notes: clove bud, lavender, nutmeg
Base notes: amber, cedarwood, frankincense, musk, sandalwood, vanilla, vetiver
29th September, 2008
Thanks to a very generous Basenoter, I obtained Floris Santal a couple of months ago.

Floris Santal is my Sandalwood of choice. I don't care if they used natural sandalwood or synthetic ones: I think natural ingrediënts are overrated and more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. I care about perception and interpretation, and I like both on Floris Santal.

I first wanted to buy Gucci Envy, but Floris Santal - while very similar in nature - is more smooth, more creamy. Less aggresive, more refined. It does smell like an old man, but it's an old man with class.
11th June, 2008
I picked up a small bottle on Jermyn Street after sampling the line. I usually aim for light, citrusy, fruity, aquatic fragrances and avoid orientals, or anything too cloying. But a little spice is nice, and this Eau de Santal convinced me with its beauty and restrained good taste. I should have bought more, because now I wear it regularly, liking it especially at night or when I'm dressed up. The accord is tight, peppery and natural. Manly, yes. Not very sweet and I'd say it's inoffensive. An elegant bottle from a fine, historic house.
27th May, 2008
I loves the stuff. I picked up a bottle off of Floris' site, 20% off, imperfect packaging, $35, 1.7oz. At that price it was a no brainer.
14th October, 2007
A very nice classic, masculine scent, though I find Floris Santal to be an artistic rather than realistic interpretation of sandalwood. One of my favorites.
21st February, 2007
I bought this on Ebay pretty cheap on MMM's advice (review) and wasn't dissapointed. This is a very high quality scent much like Envy but of much higher quality with less longevity. I seem to be finding that many of the higher end british scents exude quality but lack the longevity of their comparable counterparts from France et al. I would put this on my top 10 list especially if you can pick it up inexpensively. Very special.
12th October, 2006
I find Santal to be a warm, smooth, slightly sweet, woodsy scent similar to Gucci's Envy. Aside from the milky sweetness I can also detect some pepper and clove, but all-in-all it's a little too generic for my tastes. I'm also not sure it's any better than Envy, which makes me wonder if it would be worth the money. I guess if you are looking for something in the same vein as Envy but want something not as common, this would be one way to go.
28th August, 2006
I'm inclined to agree that this scent, while perfectly pleasant, doesn't really stand out in any way. It doesn't say anything rude or poorly, but it doesn't say anything distictive either.

The similarity to Envy is a fleeting one and this is a much more gentle and reserved scent in every regard. A light bodied oriental, if you will. Warm, cordial, and well mannered. It's a gentleman of gentlemen's scents. It just doesn't have that certain 'something' to capture my heart. But it's definitely worth trying. Your mileage may vary.

08th August, 2006
Paul G Show all reviews
Good pure sandalwood scent that will leave an impression on you. Dry and not terribly medicinal like some sandalwoods can be. Decent lasting power, though the Intense version reminds me of Himalaya (but not was nicely done). Destined to be a classic and one that most people will like.
21st April, 2006
This is simply the best fragrance that I have come across (I originally came across it in Rome), and one of only two that women have really, really liked (!) and commented on without being asked (the other was M7).
28th March, 2006
Ok, but where's the sandalwood? This is so similar to so many other scents out there that it's hard to be enthusiastic about it...and again, where's the actual sandalwood?
15th January, 2006
Santal is warm and lightly sweet. An extremely refined mixture of fragrances. While the name may suggest sandalwood, there is none. It instantly moved to the top of my list. Today I noted that the scent was a pleasant companion for over seven hours. A happy day indeed.
22nd December, 2005
Bought this from londons.com. It's outstanding. It's not very unique, but you cannot go wrong with this scent. Everyone loves it around me.. received compliments on this all the time. It's got a bit of incense to it, but also smells slightly like Gucci's Envy (other reviews are right)--but without that "chemical stench.."
10th December, 2005