Reviews of Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Meriem Show all reviews
I feel bad about panning Dzing!, but this was an actual scrubber for me. Most of l'Artisan's scents seem to work well on me, and the concept and notes of Dzing! sound rather brilliant. But so help me, apparently castoreum on me takes over and leaves me redolent of manure. It smells like a suffusion of dung over flowers no less, which made it somehow even more unpleasant and just really unfortunate. It was foul. I suppose one could say I smelled like a meadow, just one that a herd of incontinent cattle happened to have grazed in. There were no other notes: just flowers and copious amounts of poo. Not good. Not good at all.

I hate rating this with a thumbs-down, because it's surely amazing on other people, and I wanted so much to love it. However, I am actually afraid to try it again, so I do not think I'll test it again just to see if it gets any better.
07th November, 2017 (last edited: 08th November, 2017)
The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci
11th September, 2017
Dzing! is a perfume I came to very late. For the longest time, I thought it was a clumsy slamming together of two different perfumes: a fecal Cuir de Russie-type leather on top, a Bvlgari Black rubber-vanilla on the bottom – something that, if you already owned either of those perfumes, was a bit redundant.

But with time, I’ve come to appreciate and even love Dzing! as an animal in its own right. There is an abstraction to Dzing! that isn’t present in either the Chanel or the Bvlgari, a sort of sweet, musky haze that rearranges the furniture of the scent each time, rendering the familiar unfamiliar.

Sometimes Dzing! wears as a sweet, bready musk with a tinge of caramel apples; other times, it smells of saddle soap and soft horse shit. On occasion, I smell the sensual scent of grimy skin trapped under a rubber watch strap, as well as Rich Tea biscuits, soggy cardboard, and Communion wafers.

If books are themselves an amalgamation of complex, abstract aromas and molecules, then Dzing! is just that in scent form. Like a book, Dzing! is predominantly sweet and vanillic (biscuity), but there is the unmistakable whiff of something that reminds you of its ruder animal origins – the fecal smell of just cured leather bindings, perhaps, or the moistly grimy finger imprints of previous readers. Delicious, if you can stand the sheer second-hand intimacy of the smell.

29th August, 2017

I received Dzing! as part a collection of L'Artisan Parfumeur samples. I knew nothing about this fragrance, except that I love Timbuktu and Fou D'Absinthe. Upon spraying, I was immediately hit with "petting zoo on a hot, summer day." It has it all: sweaty barnyard animals, muddy hay, and even a few toddlers running around with dirty diapers. Awful! Wondering if my sample was bad, I read through the reviews and found that many others had the same experience. I decided to stick it out until dry-down and, even though it lightens, it never really smelled good. I enjoy taking my kids to the petting zoo, but I definitely don't want to smell like it.
19th May, 2017
Castoreum and coumarin with a very brief waft of coconut(?!). Hay, honey, cedar, tack room leather, damp sawdust, musk. It reminds me of being 15 years old and having a crush on one of the older boys at the stables where I used to ride. The animalic notes are sweet, supple, and somewhat...*charged*. I've had a very similar experience with this to afartherroom (see below) and I don't feel I can really add anything to his gorgeous description except to say, yup - my nose buried in the fur of a happy cat sunning itself in the stable yard, surrounded by the smell of horses, tack and the crackling expectation of youth.
This is an absolute must-have for me. Love.
14th March, 2017 (last edited: 24th March, 2017)
Dzing! is a weirdo. First, it was presented to me as a feminine gourmand I should try. I think it's gourmand, but only in the beginning, and very masculine. At first spray, I got cinnamon and nutmeg, which I loved, and disappeared soon into musk and leather. You're left (for a long time) with black pepper and leather, and then vanilla and chocolate.

It's not my taste, but it's really well done. It's warm, but doesn't project far.
24th January, 2017 (last edited: 15th September, 2017)
bokaba Show all reviews
Type: Gourmand Leather

Dzing is a gourmand/leather type fragrance. It is a good effort, but the fragrance has little development and is only two-faceted.

First, there is an initial blast of a rather animalic musk/civet/castoreum that sadly has a rather harsh, synthetic edge. This is coupled with cedar, hay, and a gourmand caramel type note that is a bit to "foody" for me.

After about 45 minutes, the animalics wear off leaving only a faint sweet gourmand candy that quickly fades away.

This fragrance was originally called Desir du Cirque I believe (Desire of the Circus?). It supposedly captures the hay, concessions, performers, and animals that are part of the circus. I think it captures this a bit but for the synthetic edge.

Many complain Dzing smells of cardboard, but this a good sign that some amount of natural castoreum is being used because castoereum is preserved in a chemical that smells like wet cardboard.
12th November, 2016
Quite the marketing weave on this musk predominant. Noticeable castoreum upon the open and a leathery feel through its heart. There's a touch of indolic flower too and it all settles to a slightly sweet satisfying amber musk skin scent at hour 4. References to MKK, Kiehl's, Bvlgari Black are apt. Nice and pleasant. No clowns in sight.
01st March, 2016
I've never been much of a fan of sweet oriental perfumes. It's not that I don't care for the smell of vanilla--who doesn't love the smell of a sticky black vanilla bean?--but that personal fragrances based on those notes have a weird way of making something deep within me recoil and flinch away from them. Perhaps I was simply far too traumatized by the 1980s. I lived in New York City at the height of the loud orientals era, you see, and I commuted to work by subway. By *rush hour* subway. So as hesitant as I am to draw the ire of the perfumistos by admitting this, I was indeed one of those people who heaved a giant sigh of olfactory relief in the 1990s, when all of those new cool quiet "fresh and clean" aquatics finally replaced the deafeningly loud warm-spicy-yet-also-sickly-sweet-and-don't-forget-the-absolutely-*filthy*-come-hither-animalics! melange as the prevailing smell of the crowded morning subway car.

I know, I know. I'm so sorry.

Anyway, the point is that I didn't really expect to care all that much for Dzing! As far as I could tell, it looked to be a warm, spicy, candy-sweet, vanillic gourmandish yet also kinda fecal-filthy oriental. All of the things that I thought I didn't care for in a fragrance.

But then I gave it a sniff.

And then another.

And then another...and another...and another...

And then, only a week after my first whiff of Dzing!, I had somehow managed not only to use up my entire sample, but also to shell out more money than I thought I would ever be willing to pay for 100 mls, just to have a great big stonking bottle of this for my very own. I just couldn't help myself. I simply had to, you see, because this remarkably addictive fragrance smells like so many of the very best things on earth: of well-kept stables and tack rooms and warm sweet hay, of a healthy horse's neck when you nuzzle it after a good day's ride and the way that your palms smell after that same day of riding (the leather of the reins combining with your sweat and the fine fresh horse sweat to make something new and strange out of the once-familiar skin-smell of your own two hands). It smells of fresh-cut pine boards, ancient varnish, the tasty salicylated green inner layer of black birch bark; of sarsaparilla and sealing wax; of the inside of a lacquered Chinese false-bottomed box. It's the smell of schoolbook covers made from brown paper grocery bags and decorated with thick and redolent permanent markers, and of the enormous cardboard refrigerator box your parents let you play in when you were very small. It's all of the good smells of childhood and none of the bad: it's fatwood and toffee and that fried dough with powdered sugar they sell at the state fair. It's that funny brown benzoin your grandmother once dabbed on your scraped knee to make a bandaid stick better -- and it's also the weirdly rubbery old bandaid itself. It's dusty boxes in the attic, a forgotten cake of rosin found inside a velvet-lined antique violin case, shelves upon shelves of old used books, the fur behind the ears of a sun-warmed purring cat...

It's all of these olfactory memories at once, and yet it doesn't...quite...match any one of them perfectly. It somehow manages to be both intensely allusive and profoundly nostalgic, while never quite settling on any single precise referent.

And in the end, of course, like all the best fragrances, Dzing! smells like nothing but its own unique self.

I am absolutely, head-over-heels in love with this fragrance, but the thing is, I can also recognize that many of the reasons others have given for finding it gross are pretty much accurate. There *is* a fecal aspect to the smell of even the best-maintained stable, and while I may find that tang of well-aged horse manure to be not only inoffensive but even actively enjoyable, I can certainly understand why someone else might be violently averse to the idea of deliberately scenting themselves with it. Cat fur, similarly, is not a smell that everyone enjoys, nor is attic dust, and I am sure that there are many for whom the words "horse sweat" do not precisely ring out as a positive endorsement of a perfume. And though I've always loved the turpentinic smell of rosin, I've never heard of anyone rubbing it all over themselves in a futile attempt at budget DIY perfumery -- unlike, say, vanilla extract from the kitchen, which very many young people do try to use in just that way.

So yeah, I get what others might find disgusting about Dzing!. Honestly, I really, really do get it.

But to me, it is just hauntingly beautiful.
09th November, 2015 (last edited: 13th November, 2015)
Loro Show all reviews
An autumn favourite, that always brings a smile to my face.

I don't really get the circus reference - but then I have never been to a circus. What I do get here is a wonderful smokiness, reminiscent (for UK readers) of the chill, damp air of bonfire night and the magic of fireworks crackling in the skies, and toffee apples on sticks and kids' eyes lighting up as the colours fizz and pop above.

Leather, for me, is secondary - it is there if I look for it but not dominant. I feel there might be iris somewhere too, but maybe I'm getting carried away with my November associations....

I love Dzing! because it doesn't really remind me of any other fragrance (although I kind of get the Fahrenheit comparison, now it's been pointed out).

It is interesting and clever and lasts a good 6-7 hours on my skin.
29th October, 2015
I should probably write my first review about a fragrance I love, but wanted to give my impression of this while still wearing it. It is just meh to me. For the first hour,I smell uncooked cookie dough, or maybe yeasty bread dough. That subsides a bit to blend into a soft baby lotion type scent. Others have said it smelled masculine, but I'm not getting that.

11th August, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
It is so easy to fall in love with this smooth, rich leather scent--with notes like woods, toffee, leather and musk, what is not to like? I am not sure that I get the circus reference very strongly--the concept of a circus, perhaps, but these same notes, approached differently, could be a race track, the county fair or a bordello. Whatever way you look at it, this is a perfect scent for fall, whether you are in your favorite suede jacket on the weekends or in gray pinstripes during the week. Perfect thing to wear with a tweed hacking jacket. Smooth and masculine, but with a definite skank going on, not too far beneath the surface.
22nd July, 2015
Imagine freshly laundered (detergent and soap) beavers, eating candy apples, wearing Chanel Nr 5 perfumed leather jackets, slobing around a haystack. The opening is fun – a tiny sting of ginger and cinnamon. Heaps of musk paired with the animal components of white florals (Kiehl's Original Musk) and aldehydes. Soft and bitter leather fading really soon. Soft woods as in sawdust. Hazy rose, coumarin and calmer musk.
22nd July, 2015

Dzing is a peculiar sort of weightless and really discreet animalic-leathery scent, with a sweet and thin texture which manages to smell minimalistic yet dense and dark. More than minimalistic, it’s actually “cozy”, like a Medieval miniature book: it’s all there, just small and thin. There is this leather micro-accord encrusted into a clean, dry and sharp floral-sweet frame, tamed down but warm enough, with fine woods on the base and a floral powder all over. Sort of an antique smell in a futuristic lyophilized capsule. Plus, it has something vaguely moldy-earthy which makes it even more fascinating, but also honestly a bit boring after a while, providing a feel of static and linear heaviness which won’t really go away for hours – close to skin, but heavy the same. Anyway, surely a fascinating work for sure, really well crafted and well balanced, evocative and permeated by a sort of nostalgic and melancholic gloominess well blended with its hyper modern texture – quite ahead of its time for sure. As other reviewers stated online, after some hours the very drydown is fairly (actually, much) similar to Dior’s Fahrenheit, just a bit drier. A couple of other defects for me: the linearity and the extreme closeness of projection, which makes it basically more than a skin scent – something you have to “look for” on your skin, otherwise you’ll forget you’re wearing it. I get the “discretion” and the composition cleanness, but... (however the persistence is everlasting).

6,5-7/10
01st December, 2014
Genre: Leather

February 2007:
Confused, though not terribly interesting, for the 30 seconds it lasted on my skin. My curiosity is sated. I don't have to try this one again.

August 2009:
How many times have I since re-tried Dzing! ? I've lost count. How many ounces of the stuff have I emptied onto my hide in my efforts to get Dzing! to last long enough to evaluate? Enough that if I develop some sort of strange, purple fungal growth on my left arm, I will attribute it to Dzing!

What have I concluded? I actually like Dzing! The animalic leather, so evocative of well-used equestrian tack, the sweet, labdanum-seasoned base notes, the oft-mentioned and captivating "paper bag" or "cardboard" note - it's all great. But never, ever, has an appealing scent so disappointed me in its rapid disappearance. Habituation? Anosmia? Is everyone else still smelling this on me long after I can not? Do I want to wear a scent that I can't smell on myself? The only firm answer I have is to this last query, and it is "No." So while Dzing! smells great, I will never own a bottle. (Instead I turn to the remotely similar Cumming, which is drier and smokier, but endures far longer on my skin.)
12th June, 2014
I've tested several fragrances from the brand and most of them didn't get my attention except "Fou d`Absinthe" which is the best by the brand in my opinion and now this one.
This is a well made fragrance that good blend of notes makes it very wearable for almost anybody.
The opening is a strong musky scent with warm and pleasant honey sweetness right beside it and a little bit of floral from saffron. there is a little bit of animalic leather but completely in the background.
These notes are smooth and very well blended together and there is nothing offensive about it.
As time passes, the honey sweetness goes to the background and I can smell a little more animalic leather and a little more saffron and musk is still strong and easily detectable.
The animalic feeling of leather is very smooth. it's not stinky and daring like "Dior Oud Leather" for example.
Projection is above average and good at the start but after 2 hours sticks to the skin and lasts for about 5 hours until disappears from the skin.
Very smooth and pleasant musky leather which can be worn by men as well. I like it.
04th June, 2014
Wonderfully warm and complex scent with very poor staying power

Dzing is a wonderfully balanced scent filled with a lot of what I like in a cologne. It's complex, spicy, sultry, woody, warm, mildly sweet, non invasive, non irritating in a super turpine or ozone way. The blend that hits me at first is sandalwood, cinnamon, vanilla, sarsaparilla, amber, smoke, leather with the slightest hint of honeysuckle, black pepper and lime possibly but hard to tell? I love a lot of what Dzing! has to offer but it has no staying power whatsoever and it wears so soft that it is barely noticeable fifteen minutes after liberal application.

Pros: Warm, soft, sultry, woody, masculine, well balanced
Cons: Very poor longevity"

25th July, 2013
I've been thinking about how we consider perfumery not just an art but an art form. Many would agree that perfumery is an art, in that it involves creativity and beauty. But fewer would consider it more broadly an art form, having recognizable trends and aesthetic criteria. We haven’t been taught to view perfumery as a form that fosters critical thinking.

A confusing point is that terms such as genre, school, trend and movement tend to be used interchangeably when discussing the categorization of perfume. It's worth making some distinctions for the sake of understanding perfumery as a specific art form.

Trends are easy to identify and discuss. Trends are simply grouped occurrences identified after the fact. Even trends that we speak of in the present exist as patterns that have already occured before we identify them. The trend of the fruity floral, the trend of ethylmaltol use, the trend in the 1920s-1930s of referring to balsamic, resinous perfumes as "oriental".

We refer to schools loosely as either 1) using a specific style, or 2) broadly making a distinction between traditional and non-traditional approaches. As an example of the former, Jean Claude Ellena belongs to the minimalist school of perfumery. In the latter, Patricia de Nicolai, belonging to a familial and aesthetic lineage, works within the classical school of perfumery.

In perfumery, genre describes compositional forms. Chypre, fougère, eau de cologne. These are forms that are defined by their components, and are more like chemical families than artistic genres in this respect.

Chandler Burr, a fragrance critic and Curator of the Department of Olfactory Art at the Museum of Arts and Design is a proponent of viewing perfumery by artistic movement, ie. romaticism, surrealism, etc.. His work goes a long way toward placing perfumery in the mind of the public as an art form, but there is an inherent incongruity in placing the nomenclature of sensory form (the visual or the written) on another (the olfactory). Still, historical movements such as modernism or post-modernism affect many forms of creative thinking and can be used to advance arguments and discussion. Perhaps there are movements in the history of perfumery inherent specifically to the olfactory that will be recognized in the future.

Schools and movements often have credos, manifestos, statements of intent or the like. It is arguable that there is little distinction between such statements in the past and current marketing and PR, but aside from a few cheeky derivations such as Etat Libre d’Orange’s “Le parfum est mort. Vive le parfum!” (Perfume is dead. Long live perfume!) perfumery doesn’t stake a conceptual claim and then illuminate it.

So, Dzing (1999). I tend to dislike narrative in art, and even more in the explanation of daily life. It seems so pat, so tedious. Narrative is often touted as a way of making sense out of confusion, but I find it more often seeks to create an expectation that the participant will fulfill, incorrectly or not, in order to have the safety of a conclusion rather than an ambiguity or a question. Dzing appeals to me for the fact that it presents the circus by systematically breaking down an image to its constituent parts, then rearranging a few of them as clues that suggest a scenario. There is an association between the olfactory elements of Dzing and the circus. Dzing smacks of a sweet treat to eat. There’s the hint of straw and sawdust covering the ground, the implication of being confined within a tented space with other people and even animals. Dzing doesn’t beat you over the head with its message like a Spielberg film. It leads you to a suggestion. I doubt that without being told about the circus imagery many would sniff Dzing and say, “Circus!” But as a well designed piece of art, whether you take the circus image and run with it or simply appreciate the perfume more abstractly, it conveys aesthetic intention. To suggest with a perfume an experience that is ridiculous if not surreal in the first place is a brilliant concept and I applaud the perfumer Olivia Giacobetti for pulling it off so effectively.

Niche perfumery seems to me to have moved away from the creative and the conceptual toward the merely luxurious. Dzing reminds that I first came to niche as a way to find quality and innovation that was lacking in the larger commercial market. I don’t look to niche to comfort me with beauty that may or may not be provided any longer by Caron, Chanel or Guerlain. Almost 15 years after its release, Dzing is still the unbeaten the high-water mark of niche as a statement of defiance to the restraints of commercial perfumery. Who needs a countertop full of plush pieces of oud perfume finery that cost north of $300? I don’t.

La niche est morte. Vive la niche!

from scenthurdle.com
17th May, 2013 (last edited: 18th May, 2015)
Wearing this scent I am a 1950s librarian in a specialist collection of rare natural history books. I walk amongst waxed wooden shelves where clouds of vanillic lignin exhale from the pages of leather bound volumes. There’s a hint of ancient adhesives and glosses from the glorious illustrated plates. This stuff reeks of knowledge. With such marvelous scent commingling I feel comfortable, sexy, in control. Best worn with a vintage suit and catseye glasses, and with a readiness to “shhhhh”, but somehow no one has yet had the temerity to speak above a whisper.

Whip crackingly good.
11th April, 2013
The most magical thing about Dzing! for me is the transparency of its main vanillic accord. All associations with wintry heaviness are abandoned, instead this wonderful, undoubtedly sweet, haylike vanilla is whipped up to a feathery lightness on the best soapy musks to be found, with a subtle suede-like leather coming up gently through its pores.
The wowza and shazam of L’Artisan’s write up of this one is little in evidence in the wearing of it which is supremely comfortable, not daring or shocking; I ain’t been to no circus that smelled like this. There are hints of papyrus, wood shavings and the smell of old objects (you know the kind of blunted, difficult to define odours that seem unique to certain antique things) in the mix, which bring both mystery and comfort. Dzing! just feels right from top to bottom. But the bottom is considerably thinner than the top – mainly a clean cedar with the vanilla tones all but gone. A gem, but somewhat shy on the projection front.
09th April, 2013
Wow. Too horrible to describe. It was on me for two whole overpowering minutes. The opening was bad, so bad I had to wash it off immediately. I can only describe it as sweet, it was really so strong my mind just shut off in horror.
28th December, 2012
I was ready to be offended in a good way. Come at me, elephant droppings! Right over here, boatload of cardboard!

What Dzing!(?) delivered? ... a gently droning public restroom ambience rather than much animalic or barnyard, a hint of the primate house at the zoo, sickening saffron and ginger, then on to cheap leather, second-day vanilla cigar smoke, and wet pizza box. That might work for an aromarama double feature engagement of Monkey Business and Slacker, but why pay time, money, and skin space for the joke?

If this sort of thing excites you or shows up differently on your skin, maybe you'll like it. To me: this is really an incredibly stupid perfume, and I hate it. Twice as gimmicky as Secretions Magnifiques, but both suffer from sophomore album syndrome: the "hey this is going to be shocking, wait, watch," then delivering the most economically squeezed out, near-cynical recreation of its seemingly hyperbolic or hinting-at-something-more backstory. This doesn't smell like old books to me either, and I spend over half of my life around old books.

Want to smell like old books? Buy a bunch from your local secondhand bookstore and rub them on yourself, smoke a pipe, or wear a leather perfume with cooking vanilla on top. Want a weird and exhilaratingly revolting fragrance? Angel.

After repeat sniffs and wears I wonder if Dzing! is an Emperor without clothes for the smelly set or if, more likely, I just don't care to get it.
15th September, 2012
First encountered this when I was given a "tour" of L'Artisan frags by the local rep in Chicago. She described Dzing! as a circus fragrance - cotton candy, horses, leather and hay. What???? Didn't believe her until I sniffed it. Boy, what she right on the money! It was the circus, sans the magician and tent. The cotton candy really is a sweet vanilla/tonka note surrounded by leather and civet. The novelty is found on me! Nothing else out there like this including Bulgari Black. My only complaint is that this is hard to wear. Perfect scent for the circus but if the circus has left town, then I'm hard-pressed to think of an occasion for which I could ever wear this. So novel and good it's beyond reproach. By far, the best fragrance in L'Aritsan's arsenal and the only one I own.
21st July, 2012
Some reviewers write that Dzing is evocative and effectively it is. Many talk about circensian conjurations and i see the association because of the olfactory sequence of leathery, animalic, somehow rubbery, green, mouldy and tasty whiffs. I have nevertheless to write that this complex juice reminds me prevalently the  antique athenaeums' atmosphere with all their multi parfumed and variegate stuck aromas of mould, leather, hay (i think because of the saffron's influence), fornitures, tobacco, papirus and dust. The combination of honey (caramel-vanilla), saffron, cinnamon (?) and ginger is a dissonant-aromatic tasty magic. An intimate and introspective juice to be enjoyed on your own in the rarefied smoky and spicy atmosphere of a cozy intellectual ambience or inside a literary café.
20th July, 2012 (last edited: 21st July, 2012)
Strong powerful masculine leather - the truest "leather" scent I have yet found. For me it's one note, but that's no problem as it is true and long lasting.

Can't imagine anyone finding all those negative scents in this, but to each nose his own.

I love it - if you are into leather, you MUST at least sample this.

Very masculine, sexy and smooth.
18th July, 2012
Alityke Show all reviews
Where to start. I sampled this with interest after reading others views and reviews. How interesting thought I foolishly.

Dzing opened on my with the overpowering fragrance of freshly passed stools of large vegetarian mammals. Fermenting grass, partially digested hay and a whiff of flatulence. My word! Thought I this is strange.

It got stranger, I scented the hide of the beast which past this, thick hide made leathery by the sun but now damp and uncomfortably close. Like. None too clean elephant house at the zoo.

This opening stayed for hours on my skin, linear, uncomfortable and headache inducing. After about 3 hours there was a mere puft of vanilla like a passing bubble of that sweet beauty which would have given balance had it been present in the mid.

After 7 hours I could no longer bear it and received joyous greeting from Mr Ali when I emerged fragrant from bathing in something femininely rosy to offset the olfactory traumas of the day
02nd July, 2012
The initial smell is something similar to animal dung,which doesnt wear off quickly enough, socouldnt really keep it on long enough to smell the other notes.
30th June, 2012
rbaker Show all reviews
This is one of the most novel approaches in a scent imaginable: a top note of jasmine-floral, mixed with
vanilla, sweat, old paper and later civet with a faecal component blended in the most masterful fashion. A later touch of gentle pepper means that it is never sweet, but also never sharp. This is one of the most original scents of the last twenty years, entering a realm that few noses would dare to explore. A decent longevity of about five hours makes this truly a very worthy purchase. Giacobetti did not only create a masterpiece, but proved that even in a world of ten thousand competing fragrances truly creative innovation is possible. Whenever your olfactory senses get bored, explore the world of this miracle. Two thumbs up!
25th June, 2012
Ah the circus.
Very few people know I was Jo Jo the two faced boy. I amazed circus audiences by talking behind everyone's back. Haughty female acrobats....sexually ambiguous animal trainers....know-it-all tarot card readers....the bearded lady....everyone. I think what finally drove me from the circus was the constant bickering among our little people. I mean who really cares who should stand in the middle of the back row when the group photo is taken? You may as well spend your time arguing which Bond No. 9 fragrance is the best. I mean really. But I digress.
Dzing is nothing but fun. Opens with inked paper. Segues to strange associations in the mind. Buttered popcorn. Elephants walking around in straw. Pure fun and brilliant too. One of a kind.
02nd June, 2012
Another of those scents that confounds me. I love it; I hate it. And then wear it anyway.

I have no idea why, but to me this is pure retro. I am reminded of the early 70's and my hippie chica Aunt who wore wild coral lipstick and nailpolish. And this smells like her, her ambiance. I get nothing white floral or traditional.

I get nail polish and hair spray and horse sweat and a worn out vanilla seeping from the pages of a library book, probably a secreted copy of Lolita I should not be reading, while sitting across from my aunt doing her nails. I hear The Beatles in the background. We are going to have a casserole for supper then a jam session with her crazy friends.

All of this from a perfume that is not retro, or vintage. Odd. But it takes me, holds me, and I reach for it often. I just never seem to get any drydown on this one. It goes from top notes to gone. Maybe I will spray more!
13th March, 2012