Reviews

Reviews of Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

A nice blackberry fragrance, a pretty unusual note, in a tobacco background with a slight, and I mean slight spiciness. It is rather pleasant but not worth its price of about 100 bucks for the 4.2 oz bottle. At half that price it would be a great value for the price.
Got to give it a neutral because on one side it is a good fragrance but on the other it is too pricey.
Sillage and longevity are better than average, but nothing out of this world.
14th February, 2015
An amazing scent. I used half the bootle in 6 months. As the blackberry and mandarin blend into the tobacco and sage I get sweet green woody blend which goes quickly into the woodsy green dry down.... And then it's gone. I along with many others wished the entire scent lasted longer. That's why I use it as more as an accent since I am a fan of scent layering I do mix this with XS Black a lot (and on occasion with Bulgari Blue, Paco Ultaviolet Man, or Escada Scentiment).
06th November, 2014
Great bottle and presentation, but you pay for it. It's the upscale version of Ralph Lauren so I guess they decided to just stick with that and price it as if it were something of greater quality than the rest of their line. Welll, it does smell better than many of their fragrances, but just like all their other fragrances it doesn't last and has a mediocre dry down. Another problem is that since this is on the expensive side it has to compete with other expensive fragrances. Another major problem is that it's discontinued. Finally, the nail in the coffin is that it competes with a fragrance that's a little bit more expensive, smells very very similar, actually uses higher quality ingredients, and lasts about 10 times longer. That fragrance is Bleecker Street by Bond No.9 which is superior in every way to Purple Label and isn't discontinued. The price kills this one.
17th December, 2012

I am a huge fan of the color purple. So, when I ran across this cologne, I was already predisposed to like it. After a long search- I live in a small city in TN, I finally was able to smell some. I purchased a small bottle. I have received several positive comments and look forwards to adding this to my top cologne list!
03rd September, 2012
Purple Label, the odd bird of the Ralph Lauren fragrances, perhaps?

It is a refined fresh and green masculine fragrance with a distinctive leather/suede note in the base and some tobacco as well. Very masculine, and can work for formal occasions. sjohnjay says that Purple Label smells a bit watered down - yes, but I don't think that's too much of a bother. I find this to be unique, and a great smell with good sillage as well, despite the average longevity on me. It is hard to find and quite expensive, though.
31st December, 2010
Like others, I find this fragrance to be rather green. To me though, I get a big eucalyptus accord, almost identical to the one in Safari. In fact, this reminds me of Safari, but take out all the spices, cinnamon and whatever else makes Safari an oriental fragrance, and replace them with green notes, bamboo and eucalyptus accords, tobacco leaf, and a little woods.

The opening is what I enjoy most, to me it smells like slightly sweet snow pea pods with a little pepper. I get like a Hermes style opening really, very natural and uplifting. That fades withing 10/15 minutes though, where it becomes another boring Polo fragrance with little sillage and below average longevity. About 3-4 hours or so on my skin (on a good day), mostly close to the skin.

So, is Purple Label worth all the hype? Is it really much different from the others from this house? Well, yes it is. But, what's to like? After the nice opening fades, it basically stays this boring tobacco leaf/eucalyptus/green fragrance.. sits very close to the skin and doesn't last too long. Bland, boring, next!
29th August, 2010
BradW Show all reviews
It's hard to justify a purchase of this fragrance when it
seems to be so similar to their Romance Silver.
The tobacco flower seems to dominate both. I spent
close to $100 on this one, but I should have looked
elsewhere. Maybe a refined nose could detect the difference.
14th February, 2010
This is very good.....Maybe somemore notes could be added, a little coconut, vanilla, yuzu, bergamot, cucumber, melon family(watermelon, honeydew, cantelope), green apple, pineapple, guava...ya know....

Good but it would probably smell better mixed with some Seasonal Fabreeze, spray on fabrics, in your car, on clothes, and maybe iron the scent into them, that'd be a good idea, since it's soooo light and fresh
17th December, 2009
A nifty little citrus green and spicy woods. Very smooth. Not very long lasting but very good.
18th January, 2009
This smells watered-down but decent enough. Bizarre, sweet opening that morphs into a more appealing dry/crisp, invigorating scent. Less conforming to mass-market standards than the other RL stuff, but not necessarily any more "sophisticated". I would never purchase this myself, as it lasts about 2 hrs and is relatively mundane. This is ill-suited to represent something called the "purple-label"; the word "green" should be in the title instead. RL purple-label's saving graces are: 1) it does smell quite good for the short time it lasts, and 2) it's VERY versatile (any occasion).
10th January, 2009
For the price you'd think it would last longer. I find that this is one of the scents that dissapears the quickest. It flies very low below the radar ... in fact, often I wear it and ask people how they like it and they mention that they didn't think I was wearing any cologne at all. This is one of those scents that could be sold by any designer. Based on the Purple Label's reputation, I expected a lot more of this cologne.

I think the fame of the Purple Label is what sells this cologne along with its hard to find nature. Believe it or not Designer Fragrance Company at the outlet mall is the best place to find this ... they sell all the Ralph Lauren scents because they are the company that make them. A large bottle was $50 at the outlet, which is about half off the regular price. I didn't buy it at that discounted rate because of how generic this cologne is and how short the scent is. For the price, there are many different 'British Style Gentleman's Classics' out there. I'd buy Aqua di Parma or Tom Ford Tobacco before I bought this, because subtle colognes that are bearly noticeable seem like a waste of money.

I would have liked to see a better cologne released by such an exclusive label. This smelled kind of like a watered down version of Cool Water with some more floral and fruity notes. Clearly, those who buy this are buying it for the name unless they have magic skin which really brings the scent out.
07th August, 2008 (last edited: 30th June, 2009)
bbBD Show all reviews
I sought this out in stores for a while to try before buying, but I finally gave up and just bought the EDT and after shave balm. I'm glad I did because it's in my weekly rotation. PL is subtle and can be applied without offending, but it is still noticeable throughout the day (@ 6hrs). The blackberry is very distinct and mixes very well with the tobacco flower, which I find to be the most present middle note. PL becomes more woodsy as it dries, but it remains enjoyable throughout its application.

I *believe* PL may be discontinued.... no official notice but the fragrance is no longer available on Ralph Lauren's website. It certainly wouldn't be out of character for RL to discontinue its limited run fragrances. I'm going to pick up a couple extra bottles to keep on hand.
21st May, 2008
Ginger and spices done very well.

Am I the only one who has made the connection between Purple Label and Romance Silver? It is the same scent with R Silver being considerably more harsh in the opening (heavy citrus). I find it very interesting that both were released in 2003...and that PL was a limited release. It's like the kind of man PL is supposed to appeal to will never think of buying the more mainstream 'department store' R Silver. Such a man is more sophisticated, cares for RL's 'Purple Label' clothing line...which explains its subtlety: flamboyance is certainly not sophisticated.
So, my conclusion is RL cheated by releasing the same scent in the same year with not enough differences. But hey, Cadillacs are just spruced up Chevys, much like Lincolns are just spiced up Fords...so why not?

05th April, 2008

eRL00p Show all reviews
i had been looking for this one for a while after searching for more RL scents. it took me a while to find, but it's well worth it. RL scents are very common among the people i encounter, so i wanted one i loved that would set me apart from others.

it first comes out with a citrus-musty scent. its great, but you definitely do not want to overdo it on this one. its the "purple" version of classic pine scents- ie: the citrus/fruity twist on pine/must.

there is NO pine, although it has a tangy prominent off-citrus note which i love. its not an everyday scent, although it could be confused for someones natural scent if done so. Its very light once the top notes wear down (which happens rather quickly) but does continue to make reappearances throughout my day. occasionally, ill smell something wonderful and not realize its me because this scent really catches me off guard.

once it reaches the basenotes~ the smell i love- i wish it could only be a bit more bold as it seems rather toned down.
the top notes are crisp and strong, and the base notes are warm and sensual. i have not fully identified the middle notes, but there are times when I'm wondering why I'm wearing this bitter scent-> which sort of gives it an arrogant tone. it is a scent that changes on my skin throughout the day to say the least.

overall, its a strong yet understated scent which i love (but my girlfriend does not)- so i wear it to work for the more formal days.
08th December, 2007
One of those fragrances that smell like they'd taste great if you could drink them. If only it had more staying power! Great for warm weather. First leaves and berries, then herbs and tobacco, and finally into the weak wood, moss and musk that is barely detectable. A concentrée version is in order... that'd be a real winner.
21st March, 2007
It's a delightful fragrance. I find it very smooth. Makes me smile when I smell it.
19th January, 2007
This is a nice summer scent - not much sillage though. It smells almost exactly like a less potent version of Bond No. 9's Bleeker Street. Still good stuff though, it makes for nice variety in the collection.
03rd October, 2006

My first sample of Purple Label was bad – I should have known it because it was almost impossible for a legitimate fragrance to be as watery and insipid as that sample was. I have finally received another sample of it and now it’s a different story: I found some actual substance to the fragrance. The opening is green and fruity – rather sweet, nothing special, very typical of its contemporary fragrances… maybe a little more pleasant and more competently accomplished. The fragrance goes quite floral in the middle – the pyramid reads tobacco blossom and jasmine with sage and thyme, but if the sage and thyme are meant to reduce the floral impact, it doesn’t work. I don’t get the herbs at all, which is strange because usually my skin destroys floral notes and emphasizes herb notes. The base is a little woody, a little suede, and a lot musky. This final accord, like the rest of the fragrance, is uninspired: Mahogany just doesn’t have the substance to make it as a woodnote, and I’ve never been impressed by soft musks as a somewhat solo drydown. All of the accords of the fragrance are natural smelling – I don’t determine any synthetic notes. The whole fragrance has very limited sillage and below average longevity.

OK. This second sample shows a much better fragrance than the first sample presented – I can actually smell this one and it is pleasant. I am still not impressed with Purple Label because it is not original and it has a premium price when it is simply a competent, decent fragrance. (Edit of April 8, 2006 review. Changed from thumbs down.)
08th April, 2006 (last edited: 16th June, 2009)
Far too floral smelling for my taste. I think it would make a better perfume than a men's fragrance.
10th December, 2005
I absolutely do not regret this purchase in any way, shape or form. What a class act. All the way from the clean blackberry opening right down to the luxurious mahogany and suede finale. Very, very nice Ralphie............
08th December, 2005
A terrific, spicy yet smooth casual fragrance. I have a couple hundred scents in my arsenal, and I consider this one to be quite fresh and unique. It tends to last ok on me; a refresher spritz may be needed for some. Highly recommended! :-)
12th September, 2005
Quite spicy... Smelt quite like ginger..
07th February, 2005
it starts off an earthy green and a bit fresh and definitely crisp. then the leather and tobacco flower creep up a bit more releasing a more masculine scent. dries down smelling of a warm leather, with a tiny bit of a sweet edge to it. i don't really think of it as powdery though. only complaint i have is that it lasts maybe 2 hours at most. i have to spray lots, like 6 sprays. a light, leathery, warm blend. even though i was expecting something a little more potent and sophisticated seeing that it's named after RL's most coveted men's line of clothing, it's sufficient.
24th August, 2004
Purple Label is a really good new fragrance from Ralph Lauren. It's a warm, fresh, classy scent all the way. The scent lasts longer if you use BOTH the After Shave along with the Cologne. This is definitely worth trying. J. Augustt 12/05/03
06th December, 2003
Very smooth, subtle, and close to the skin, a fresh familiarity awaits with Purple Label. It reminds me of Lanvin Homme with more depth. I like this fragrance for its richness and smooth musky base, but it isn't so unique or longlasting. The bottle is great. Classy and elegant, but I expected more from the juice. Even though..my thumb goes up! and I generously "spritz" :)
05th November, 2003
What a disappointment...disappeared on my skin after about an hour; lacking true originality - another "everyman" fragrance from Ralph Lauren. To its credit, it is light, fresh, and crisp highlighted by the juniper notes...but it never really develops. Definitely not on my Xmas list!
03rd November, 2003