Positive Reviews of Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Find out more about Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

This is a very green and citric vanilla scent for the most part. Longevity and projection are about average on me, projection could be better, I get about 5-6 hours longevity before it's totally gone.

Vera Wang for Men, opens up with a sharp, almost plasticy green mandarin note, along with yuzu, this could be off-putting to some... I struggled with it for a while and then got used to it. An hour or so later, I am left with a sandalwood and leather mixture, with a hunt of tobacco. The dry down is reminiscent of True Religion, or Phat Farm Atman (a very obscure suede scent). This also reminds me of Raw Vanilla for men, and Givenchy Pi.

All in all, it isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about. I have less than an oz left in my bottle, and I won't be purchasing it again. I'm torn between a neutral rating and a thumbs up, but I think I'll say thumbs up, because this one has history with me.

18 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

i love it. on my 3rd bottle. definately not an everyday scent but for dates and more sensual events. a definate breathtaker. the nutmeg and woods give it plenty of sillage depth and character.similiar to guerlain l'instant which is why it does not get as much love here on basenotes..

17 January, 2013

CamaroF41's avatar
    CamaroF41

I accidently stumbled upon this fragrance and on the first try I did not think much of it but after trying quite a few others I somehow remembered it. I would say this is one of my favorites right now. This cologne is subtle, not overpowering but still masculine and sophisticated. I am in my mid 20s and I do like some fresh colognes but if I am going out for the evening to a dinner or something formal, I am picking this one. Its just classy, great scent and doesnt make me feel like I sprayed some "old school" cologne. Again, this is very modern, subtle, classy, masculine scent. Give it a try.

24 December, 2012

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

This is a "grows on you" fragrance that is nice, not fantastic. Perfect daytime or mixed company scent. Presents a moderate leather and spice base with a synthetic floral note that abates and revives throughout wear. (UPDATE 6/13/2012: over several weeks, i've grown fonder of this fragrance and find clearer notes of leather, tobacco, and an interesting black tea quality reminiscent of Earl Grey. I find this quite engaging for occasional wear.) Very short longevity, less than 4 hours before it simply fades away to barely there then "poof" gone! Vera Wang for Men isn't terribly distinctive, but it is a good staple to have on hand. I'd also think this would be a great one to gift to teens.

23 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2012)

sampoerna's avatar
    sampoerna
    Indonesia Indonesia

Quite understated and somewhat elegant. Appropriate for office wear. The kind that I associate with the artificial; like those who try to smarm/schmooze their way through an elite society, even though they may not truly belong.

It's nice. It's just not what I truly appreciate...

...until I explored more fragrances. After some time enjoying Michael Kors for Men, leather notes have become quite appealing to me - and that means I have come to enjoy Vera Wang also. Nicely blended with light floral bouquet and spice essences. Artificial for sure, but nice nonetheless. Inoffensive to women - not particularly strong. One of those I'd go for when I'm not sure what to wear and I want to be subtle.

16 January, 2012

paradigm's avatar
    paradigm

Well...I believe the scent to be quite nice! Actually. better than nice, it's pretty great on my skin. The woods and tobacco are blended well, the sweetness is not overdone and the projection and longevity are just right, not offensive in the slightest and I've had crazy amounts of compliments with this one. I feel it is a business casual kind of flavour as it has some eligance along with masculinity; but is also versitile enough to wear with a great pair of jeans. How this scent could receive "harsh" negative comments, I don't know. This scent is beautiful and there are a great deal of niche and designer fragrances out there that are ugly in compairson to this. Ignore the (-) and try for yourself.

31st October, 2011

felony88's avatar
    felony88

this is a MANS smell! absolutley beautiful! i can actually smell leather and tobacco,though i'd prefer MORE! perfect for a leather jacket. have the a/s,deo stick is true to the cologne.well made and blended.super suave bottle and cap also.

30th July, 2011

pepelestinker's avatar
    pepelestinker

I will tell you up front that spice is not my thing, at least strong spice. Also, I'm not that fond of projection and the need to "make a statement" with my fragrance. I prefer a subtle close to the skin, almost below the level of awareness kind of scent. Believe it or not, Vera Wang has more spice than I usually like, but I find it pleasantly balanced by the wood and tobacco...giving it almost a nutty character. It is sweet, no doubt, but not overly so. I go very easy with this juice, as too much will lead to disaster. I would have preferred a little more leather, but coming from one who likes to fly under the radar, this scent is very wearable. Now...about that wedding dress...

21st January, 2011

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I like Vera Wang for Men - a lot of people seem to not like this.

I think it's a great woody men's fragrance. The sandalwood, tobacco, leather and nutmeg combination is wonderful! I think it smells different and should get more respect than it deserves, but to each his own. I find this fragrance to be a bit more subtle than ones of its type but it still lasts a while on me. It has a bit of a tangy zing! to it.

I have to watch how much I wear and when I wear it, though, because this juice can be headache inducing at times. Perhaps that's what turns some people off.

20th December, 2010

Dr. Fragrance's avatar
    Dr. Fragrance

The first 3 times I tried it at the store I did not smell a lot of the fragrance. But then suddenly one day I tried it again and had to buy it right after.

To me this is a very masculin, elegant smell, nothing very special but for that just somehow sexy in a quite way. I will always have a bottle of this, especially for evenings were you need to dress up nicely.

06 May, 2010

splashit's avatar
    splashit

Nice first offering from Vera Wang. Nothing ground breaking which is fine by me. I want to smell good ... not unusual ! Good longevity and quality in this one. Nice bottle if that's important to you. Not ubiquitous so another plus point in my book.

18 June, 2009

dynastyd95's avatar
    dynastyd95

I really like this one. I know it's not that unique, but it's good for what it is. It's warm, masculine, and elegant.

16 May, 2009

ZeeK's avatar
    ZeeK
    Pakistan Pakistan

This is the only masculine offering by Vera Wang so far. Vera Wang Men is a sweet – fresh fragrance but quite seductive, enchanting and entirely a gentlemen’s fragrance.

For me it is a blend of citrus – green at top, leather – aromatic spice at heart and tobacco – wood at base by preserving the notes in such a way that keeps the fragrance sweet & refreshing overall. You won’t get a pure citrus nor leafy mix at start but a fruity fresh sweetness, you won’t get spicy leather warmth at heart but a fresh & mild aroma of anise mingles with nutmeg & leather notes, so as dry-down won’t give a tobacco-y warmth but a mix woody affect with sandal wood.

I have few reservations about its lasting but yes over apply is the only fix to keep it with you while silage is reasonably good. It is suited for special & romantic occasions. I recommend it as a safest choice of scent for romantic wear. But my thumb goes full up as it is a proven “seductive thing” for my chemistry.

03 March, 2009

decillisjl's avatar
    decillisjl

as everyone else has already attested, this is a beautiful fragrance, but only for a couple hours... what is strange is that it feels so heavy when first applied that you think it will last for days, but four hours later you are wondering if you had put on anything at all... i have to disagree with those that call it an office fragrance, because i feel it is really only appropriate for formal situations... an amazing scent, but i will probably not buy another bottle after the years it will take for me to finish this one.

09 January, 2009

gmm150's avatar
    gmm150

Surprising good for a department store fragrance. One of the few samples I tried that I actually bought. Light with citrus top notes. Dry down reminds me of Baldessarini (which I think is nice) but a bit more woody with a slight tobacco/leather note. Like Baldessarini, Vera Wang suffers from lack of longevity. I guess I will just spray 2 more sprays than I usually due which should solve the problem :)

03 January, 2009

Scotch77's avatar
    Scotch77

I first got into cologne a little over two years ago while attending graduate school. Before then, I had spent most of my life working out of doors and never really developed a sense of urban fashion. And so, on the eve of my first formal occasion at school, I hastily went into a Macy’s to purchase what would be my first bottle of cologne that wasn’t Old Spice or Brut.

I immediately rejected the Armani and Polo offerings that the fragrance lady sampled for me. They all smelled too sweet, too simple, with little depth or sophistication. And then the lady sprayed a bit of Vera Wang. Something in the notes struck me as very “green,” for lack of a better word. Not quite herbal, not quite fresh, but very natural none-the-less. This faded after a few minutes leaving behind one of the most pleasant dry downs I’ve ever known.

And now, two years, 12 bottles, 100 samples, and a mini-obsession later, I still think Vera Wang is the most pleasant scent I’ve ever come across. Being a bit linear, it is not as complex as many other scents out there (for example, Chanel’s Allure Edition Blanche, which if stronger would challenge Vera Wang as my favorite scent). But unlike any other cologne I’ve purchased, my enjoyment of the scent has never faded.

Now, the scent may not be for everyone. It is not the most masculine of scents, although I would argue that few popular colognes these day are. It is also probably not appropriate for the heat of summer days or tightly packed clubs. And I even feel somewhat self-conscious wearing it on a casual day to the office as I’m left feeling somewhat over-dressed, even while wearing a suit and a tie. But for nice restaurants, evening-wear, or occasionally just a relaxing fall day, I don’t think this cologne can be beat.

04 October, 2008

syidi_radzi's avatar
    syidi_radzi

What is so special about the blend of green mandarin leaf, yuzu, nutmeg, tobacco etc... nothing distinctive but I do love the bottle design, very masculine.

All and all, it is a typical fragrance, a fragrance which is best said created just to make someone smells good, and if that would be its only purpose, indeed the frag has fulfiled it.

22 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2008)

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

For some odd reason, VW for Men "feels" like a frag that might have been blended three decades ago rather than one (or less than one) -- very elegant use of sandalwood and leather in this juice, but a bit formal and stuffy.

VW is great for office wear and even formal occasions, but, IMHO, is probably NOT the best choice for "jeans and t-shirts" sorts of days. All in all, an elegantly blended affair that's well worth the money.

03 April, 2008

Islandwriter's avatar
    Islandwriter

I recently tested this and loved it. The only problem for me is that it is a bit mild. Needs to have a bit more power.

23 November, 2007

1sneeps's avatar
    1sneeps

Its hard to believe the reviews on here stating that the scent doesn't last. My husband puts one squirt on, it smells up the house and everywhere we go, only hours later does it die down to the warm scent I love. It stays on him for 12 hours plus. I think when you wear a scent you become desensitized. I caution him to be careful with his one squirt, its so strong. Unless all of you want everyone around you to smell you too?

14 November, 2007

fusion's avatar
    fusion

Vera Wang makes me feel so confident a great fragrance I recomend this to everyone longevity isnt a problem for me lasts all night

03 November, 2007

oolong's avatar
    oolong

I picked it up because my girlfriend said that she loved that scent and found it a real turn on. I have to say that I'm really enjoying it too. It has a really nice tang to it which gives it a really up beat but very sexy feel. Longevity is not that great but I don't find it as bad as some suggest. I don't regret getting it. Most appropriate for romantic evenings, especially when it is going to be a high energy evening.

14 October, 2006

seinfun's avatar
    seinfun

This has some lovely notes in it and it is well blended. Sillage good but longevity is indeed at best average as many have commented. A more concentrated version would be a boon for VW wearers. Other than that though a very pleasing, classy and quite exclusive fragrance. Apparantly this is the choice of Will Smith, for those people who like to wear what the celebs wear. It's very good in its own right this one and worth a try if you are not already familiar with it.

01st September, 2006

nicolastutor's avatar
    nicolastutor

At first I thought this just smelled like lemon bathroom cleaner, but I have come to appriciate it. It does seem to have an er, urine note? Not too bad, plus the rest of the smell makes up for it.

09 May, 2006

Francoise_Papiran's avatar
    Francoise_Papiran

This is probably the best smelling stuff out their right now for the GQ man. This very sensuous and refined scent is without a doubt worth paying full-price for. This is a seductive, luxurious and sexy warm citrus fragrance hinted with soothing sandalwood and sensual tobacco notes. It has staying power, very strong and concentrated yet it is not overpowering. Vera Wang for Men it’s a serious competitor to Armani, Herrera, Chanel and Kenneth Cole for the fragrance market share.

27 January, 2006

Robert06's avatar
    Robert06

The only thing I dont like about Vera Wang, is it's lasting power. I wish it was a little more potent, too.
    Other than that, Vera Wang is a very good fragrance, IMO. Not great, but almost. I would describe it as a crisp woody fragrance at first. Then building up to something very complex. Good stuff, and I recommend it.

17 January, 2006

conehead's avatar
    conehead

That top note comes on strong.....and green. But when it dies, which for me is pretty quickly, the tobacco and sandlewood bass comes through. I just wish the base were a bit stronger, as it doesn't seem to have much in the way of sillage....

22 December, 2005

Stench's avatar
    Stench

A more mature scent for daytime wear. Classy, not extremely unique but enough to warrant adding to a decent sized collection. More businesslike, works well in suit. Puts forth confidence to others in the boardroom.

07 December, 2005

jack_rabbit_slim's avatar
    jack_rabbit_slim

This stuff is one of my favorites. With the matching aftershave its almost tasty.

30th November, 2005

TheRedWun's avatar
    TheRedWun

Amazing scent, smooth and understated but still makes a great impression.

22 June, 2005