Reviews of Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Find out more about Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

The_Cologneist's avatar

This is a very green and citric vanilla scent for the most part. Longevity and projection are about average on me, projection could be better, I get about 5-6 hours longevity before it's totally gone.

Vera Wang for Men, opens up with a sharp, almost plasticy green mandarin note, along with yuzu, this could be off-putting to some... I struggled with it for a while and then got used to it. An hour or so later, I am left with a sandalwood and leather mixture, with a hunt of tobacco. The dry down is reminiscent of True Religion, or Phat Farm Atman (a very obscure suede scent). This also reminds me of Raw Vanilla for men, and Givenchy Pi.

All in all, it isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about. I have less than an oz left in my bottle, and I won't be purchasing it again. I'm torn between a neutral rating and a thumbs up, but I think I'll say thumbs up, because this one has history with me.

18 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

Tony T's avatar

i love it. on my 3rd bottle. definately not an everyday scent but for dates and more sensual events. a definate breathtaker. the nutmeg and woods give it plenty of sillage depth and character.similiar to guerlain l'instant which is why it does not get as much love here on basenotes..

17 January, 2013

CamaroF41's avatar

I accidently stumbled upon this fragrance and on the first try I did not think much of it but after trying quite a few others I somehow remembered it. I would say this is one of my favorites right now. This cologne is subtle, not overpowering but still masculine and sophisticated. I am in my mid 20s and I do like some fresh colognes but if I am going out for the evening to a dinner or something formal, I am picking this one. Its just classy, great scent and doesnt make me feel like I sprayed some "old school" cologne. Again, this is very modern, subtle, classy, masculine scent. Give it a try.

24 December, 2012

rogalal's avatar

It goes on sweet and bright with a fruity smell that seems to incorporate earl grey tea, lavender, mint, violets, and a big shot of grape Kool Aid. Strangely, the brightness doesn't seem to come from the lavender or the mint - instead, it's a weird chemical brightness that hovers over everything. All the rest of the notes are sort of soft and fuzzy, as if they were painted on velvet, presented in a chemical haze that dulls all the sharp edges.

By the heart, the fruits and stuff have largely faded leaving a smell that's sort of leathery and vaguely woody, but more like the chlorine smell of a swimming pool still sweetened by the ghosts of the topnotes. Finally, the leathery swimming pool smell fades away, leaving sweet but dark patchouli mixed with artificial-smelling woods and the smell of rubbing alcohol.

It's interesting that the perfumer managed to wrap up every single thing going on in Vera Wang For Men in a sort of chemical haze that is as much the star of the scent as the nondescript fruits, flowers, and basenotes. At its heart, this is a "blue" aquatic in the vein of Bulgari Aqua, but with that leathery middle and patchouli in the base to make it feel more Autumn and less Spring.

I actually own a bottle of Vera Wang For Men and wore it for years as my uninteresting scent, the one I would wear on a plane or to the movies, places where I wanted to smell nice but still smell like everyone else and not stand out as smelling weird or too interesting. It's both a blessing and a curse - Vera Wang For Men smells like dozens of other men's mainstream scents, but does it well, never smelling like an explosion at the ammonia factory or like dumb candy, but it's entirely unremarkable. You could do worse, but you could do an awful lot better (I actually prefer Ulrich Lang's Anvers, which is the same basic stuff as VWFM but without the ongoing chemical haze). This is the definition of a "neutral" scent. Precision engineered to be average.

28 October, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

A citrus scent with anise and a horrid sour off note which I cannot pinpoint what is causing that smell but its off putting. I do not like this at all.

26 October, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

A little too spicy for me. Vera may want to stick to designing clothes!

14 September, 2012

bFlay's avatar

This is a "grows on you" fragrance that is nice, not fantastic. Perfect daytime or mixed company scent. Presents a moderate leather and spice base with a synthetic floral note that abates and revives throughout wear. (UPDATE 6/13/2012: over several weeks, i've grown fonder of this fragrance and find clearer notes of leather, tobacco, and an interesting black tea quality reminiscent of Earl Grey. I find this quite engaging for occasional wear.) Very short longevity, less than 4 hours before it simply fades away to barely there then "poof" gone! Vera Wang for Men isn't terribly distinctive, but it is a good staple to have on hand. I'd also think this would be a great one to gift to teens.

23 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2012)

sampoerna's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Quite understated and somewhat elegant. Appropriate for office wear. The kind that I associate with the artificial; like those who try to smarm/schmooze their way through an elite society, even though they may not truly belong.

It's nice. It's just not what I truly appreciate...

...until I explored more fragrances. After some time enjoying Michael Kors for Men, leather notes have become quite appealing to me - and that means I have come to enjoy Vera Wang also. Nicely blended with light floral bouquet and spice essences. Artificial for sure, but nice nonetheless. Inoffensive to women - not particularly strong. One of those I'd go for when I'm not sure what to wear and I want to be subtle.

16 January, 2012

paradigm's avatar

Well...I believe the scent to be quite nice! Actually. better than nice, it's pretty great on my skin. The woods and tobacco are blended well, the sweetness is not overdone and the projection and longevity are just right, not offensive in the slightest and I've had crazy amounts of compliments with this one. I feel it is a business casual kind of flavour as it has some eligance along with masculinity; but is also versitile enough to wear with a great pair of jeans. How this scent could receive "harsh" negative comments, I don't know. This scent is beautiful and there are a great deal of niche and designer fragrances out there that are ugly in compairson to this. Ignore the (-) and try for yourself.

31st October, 2011

colormechris's avatar

This is perhaps the best from the early 2000's cycle of post acquatic, spicy-florals with a pronounced "fig" note (even if not listed in pyramid, it's there, here). Vera Wang for Men is quite good. It could have been great however. Everything is there, a construct for something that never quite appears. What is that missing basenote element? I'm not sure. But Vera Wang for men seems to be crying out for civet or ambergris. The magic element that would have made it a classic. A Magie Noir for men, if you will. Ah well...

29 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2011)

felony88's avatar

this is a MANS smell! absolutley beautiful! i can actually smell leather and tobacco,though i'd prefer MORE! perfect for a leather jacket. have the a/s,deo stick is true to the cologne.well made and blended.super suave bottle and cap also.

30th July, 2011

pepelestinker's avatar

I will tell you up front that spice is not my thing, at least strong spice. Also, I'm not that fond of projection and the need to "make a statement" with my fragrance. I prefer a subtle close to the skin, almost below the level of awareness kind of scent. Believe it or not, Vera Wang has more spice than I usually like, but I find it pleasantly balanced by the wood and tobacco...giving it almost a nutty character. It is sweet, no doubt, but not overly so. I go very easy with this juice, as too much will lead to disaster. I would have preferred a little more leather, but coming from one who likes to fly under the radar, this scent is very wearable. Now...about that wedding dress...

21st January, 2011

Grottola's avatar

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I like Vera Wang for Men - a lot of people seem to not like this.

I think it's a great woody men's fragrance. The sandalwood, tobacco, leather and nutmeg combination is wonderful! I think it smells different and should get more respect than it deserves, but to each his own. I find this fragrance to be a bit more subtle than ones of its type but it still lasts a while on me. It has a bit of a tangy zing! to it.

I have to watch how much I wear and when I wear it, though, because this juice can be headache inducing at times. Perhaps that's what turns some people off.

20th December, 2010

St Martin's avatar

Come the apocalypse there will still be a faint whiff of Vera hanging over the burning rubble of some major city...

A spritely, borderline chaotic opening teases for a moment but is quickly followed by a warm, sweet and monotone sandalwood dry down. It's all very familiar - like a heavily sugar-coated cousin of CK Obsession. An annoying cousin who talks in a loud voice and won't leave. It is now more than 24 hours after one test spray on my wrist, and I can still smell Vera's concoction. It seems completely impervious to soap and water. Sillage is average but the longevity is quite terrifying.

19 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2010)

odysseusm's avatar

My goodness, this is wretched stuff! Sweet and cheap, positively toothache-inducing. Garishly spicy. Smells like a toxic car deodorizer. Utterly devoid of charm, class or any redeeming features, it is nasty, cloying, heavy and persistant. I can’t scrub it off quickly enough!

07 December, 2010

maccus's avatar

Cuba Gold for those who prefer spending far more money on a fragrance. Whilst Cuba Gold offers great value for the price, Vera Wang for Men does not. It is quite a linear experience which risks flat-lining through its caramel or amber sweetness. The colour of the product and this caramel tone reminds me of developing different honeys through feeding bees different kinds of pollen. Fortunately, this caramel element is held in check by the tobacco note. Quite a pleasant note, it is supported by a little sandalwood and the leather. Altogether, the fragrance is restrained and somewhat pedestrian because it needs something to elevate it or ground it more vigorously and anything might have done - even some of the elements it claims which we must take on good faith. Longevity is not a problem except that the dry down does not develop anything more.

23 August, 2010

Dr. Fragrance's avatar

The first 3 times I tried it at the store I did not smell a lot of the fragrance. But then suddenly one day I tried it again and had to buy it right after.

To me this is a very masculin, elegant smell, nothing very special but for that just somehow sexy in a quite way. I will always have a bottle of this, especially for evenings were you need to dress up nicely.

06 May, 2010

Kaern's avatar

Vera Wang is to perfume what Simon Cowell is to new music. They are both dilettantes with no taste and are only interested in lining their pockets. This has a fresh, cheap shampoo smell that has no longevity. Ms Wang has actually managed to not produce one decent fragrance for either sex -- have you tested Princess? You'll need a barf bag.

04 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2010)

Atlanta1's avatar

Vera's perfume sure has a Wang to it, alright. This is truly one of the worst fragrances ever made. One needs to spray a half-gallon of it on themselves just to get some semblance of any scent from it. It must hold the world record for shortest lasting fragrance ever because this mess gets instantly absorbed into your bloodstream once you spray it on. Totally worthless and Miss Vera ought to be ashamed of herself for pushing this manure (except Miss Vera's manure don't stank 'cause it don't last!!) onto the public.

23 February, 2010

MOONB's avatar

I once gave Vera for Men a test at a department store, just out of curiosity. I recognize the brand, so I figured it could be something I'd wear. I could not have been more wrong. Right out of the tester, I strongly disliked it. I don't fully recall what happened when it did its little chemical reaction to my skin, but I can tell you, whatever it was, it wasn't good. I don't know if it's the odd combination of yuzu, netmeg, and musk, or what. But it didn't work, and for me it never will.

05 November, 2009

splashit's avatar

Nice first offering from Vera Wang. Nothing ground breaking which is fine by me. I want to smell good ... not unusual ! Good longevity and quality in this one. Nice bottle if that's important to you. Not ubiquitous so another plus point in my book.

18 June, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

This fragrance is all about the opening. I say that because there simply is little else to enjoy. There are plenty of products out there that suffer the problem of brevity, but one makes allowances, especially when those brief hours are spent in the company of something glorious. Vera Wang for Men is satisfying and alluring for half an hour, then it recedes into a state where even adequacy is but a distant memory. A fresh, green and vibrant opening burns brightly, then its majesty is all but extinguished. The subsequent phases may be subtle, but I expected something inspiring and warm from the middle notes. The nutmeg, leather and anise are wasted, and the expected edgy accord is virtually non-existant.One is left with a dry,wood base, that adds nothing of note, to something already struggling to please. Deeply disappointing

30th May, 2009

dynastyd95's avatar

I really like this one. I know it's not that unique, but it's good for what it is. It's warm, masculine, and elegant.

16 May, 2009

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

This is the only masculine offering by Vera Wang so far. Vera Wang Men is a sweet – fresh fragrance but quite seductive, enchanting and entirely a gentlemen’s fragrance.

For me it is a blend of citrus – green at top, leather – aromatic spice at heart and tobacco – wood at base by preserving the notes in such a way that keeps the fragrance sweet & refreshing overall. You won’t get a pure citrus nor leafy mix at start but a fruity fresh sweetness, you won’t get spicy leather warmth at heart but a fresh & mild aroma of anise mingles with nutmeg & leather notes, so as dry-down won’t give a tobacco-y warmth but a mix woody affect with sandal wood.

I have few reservations about its lasting but yes over apply is the only fix to keep it with you while silage is reasonably good. It is suited for special & romantic occasions. I recommend it as a safest choice of scent for romantic wear. But my thumb goes full up as it is a proven “seductive thing” for my chemistry.

03 March, 2009

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

very pleasant fragrance but last a couple of hours on me which makes it a no no no. This is something to wear after a fresh shower, very casual and harmless. If you are looking for something "masculine" this is not it... unisex for my taste.Green citrus.

01st March, 2009

decillisjl's avatar

as everyone else has already attested, this is a beautiful fragrance, but only for a couple hours... what is strange is that it feels so heavy when first applied that you think it will last for days, but four hours later you are wondering if you had put on anything at all... i have to disagree with those that call it an office fragrance, because i feel it is really only appropriate for formal situations... an amazing scent, but i will probably not buy another bottle after the years it will take for me to finish this one.

09 January, 2009

gmm150's avatar

Surprising good for a department store fragrance. One of the few samples I tried that I actually bought. Light with citrus top notes. Dry down reminds me of Baldessarini (which I think is nice) but a bit more woody with a slight tobacco/leather note. Like Baldessarini, Vera Wang suffers from lack of longevity. I guess I will just spray 2 more sprays than I usually due which should solve the problem :)

03 January, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

There is european trash, and then there is american trash.

Pitiful attempt to create something with charachter, it falls very short on that. Generic and dull fresh woody fragrance. Utterly boring. Smells very cheap and badly made with nostril burning, sharp spicy edge.

There`s little fruitiness, little this and that, no leather or tobacco in sight.

It`s like a bad gimmick. Sad to see that some people buy it.

17 November, 2008

GTX777's avatar

Nothing memorable. Obsession like?

Perfect non-offensive winter office scent for those those dressed in freshly pressed Gap slacks and a crisp white oxford shirt. Yawn.

It isn't bad... but it ain't great.

17 October, 2008

Scotch77's avatar

I first got into cologne a little over two years ago while attending graduate school. Before then, I had spent most of my life working out of doors and never really developed a sense of urban fashion. And so, on the eve of my first formal occasion at school, I hastily went into a Macy’s to purchase what would be my first bottle of cologne that wasn’t Old Spice or Brut.

I immediately rejected the Armani and Polo offerings that the fragrance lady sampled for me. They all smelled too sweet, too simple, with little depth or sophistication. And then the lady sprayed a bit of Vera Wang. Something in the notes struck me as very “green,” for lack of a better word. Not quite herbal, not quite fresh, but very natural none-the-less. This faded after a few minutes leaving behind one of the most pleasant dry downs I’ve ever known.

And now, two years, 12 bottles, 100 samples, and a mini-obsession later, I still think Vera Wang is the most pleasant scent I’ve ever come across. Being a bit linear, it is not as complex as many other scents out there (for example, Chanel’s Allure Edition Blanche, which if stronger would challenge Vera Wang as my favorite scent). But unlike any other cologne I’ve purchased, my enjoyment of the scent has never faded.

Now, the scent may not be for everyone. It is not the most masculine of scents, although I would argue that few popular colognes these day are. It is also probably not appropriate for the heat of summer days or tightly packed clubs. And I even feel somewhat self-conscious wearing it on a casual day to the office as I’m left feeling somewhat over-dressed, even while wearing a suit and a tie. But for nice restaurants, evening-wear, or occasionally just a relaxing fall day, I don’t think this cologne can be beat.

04 October, 2008