Neutral Reviews of John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Find out more about John Varvatos by John Varvatos in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Stockholm's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Ebay provides an excellent opportunity to try out many fragrances, that one would probably not buy otherwise, J. Varvatos is one of these! I have not found Varvatos on sale here in Europe, but got interested after reading about it here, and finally I have my own 4.2 bottle to smell from. Personally I have come to the conclusion that this is not the fragrance for me… It is not that I don’t like it, it actually smells pretty nice…but it is just something about it that I don’t like and I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe it is the somewhat too soothing vanilla note or maybe the concoction of exotic notes that together with leather notes, makes J. Varvatos smell a little strange and intrusive according to me. My girlfriend adores this scent, so I guess it can’t be all that bad! But if I would choose a fragrance for going on a date with myself, this is not the fragrance I would wear to make a first impression. Grading this is hard, even if my girlfriend likes it, I still think that I stick to my own impression…

02nd April, 2007

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Overall a mix that works: starts off with a date/exotic fruit and ends up more fresh(aromatic) and oriental (warmth that everybody noted).

Problem is that it does not last that long to be considered a classic.

And for the asking price, there are other excellent frags that beat this one in sillage and longetivity and draw even on uniqueness. So, if you are getting a good deal, I would recommend it.

14th February, 2007

chadmwgarrett's avatar

Varvatos is a great scent for winter and fall however for me personally I love the scent but find the longevity of it to be very short. Wish it was made in a parfum and maybe a bit stronger. For me it smells great for a few hours but fades quickly.. Try to wear it to work but it just doesnt last for me.. Nothing against the scent I really adore it just wish it had a kick..however maybe for someone else it may last longer..

23rd October, 2006

nattygold's avatar

John Varvatos is a middle of the road scent.I don't get much leather. I wouldn't call it a true leather scent as Knize Ten or even Cuiron is. There's something synthetic that reminds me of Nemo. Maybe it's the fruity topnote

19th August, 2006

czesc's avatar

I believe this to be over-rated. I dont remember the notes of it exactly, but its on sale for 49.99 at my local grocery store. I sprayed the tester and it didnt really stand out to me any more than the usual dept store frags. im neutral on this one

22nd February, 2006

teflondog's avatar

I'm in a constant battle with this one. Sometimes it's a wonderful sweet leather scent. Other times it has a weird orange note that sticks out like a sore thumb. It clashes with the rest of the notes IMO and takes away the balance. It's easy to wear as far as leather scents go. It doesn't seem like it's aimed at any specific age group. But ever since I've acquired Dzing, I seldom find myself reaching for this anymore.

27th December, 2005

chris's avatar

i anticipated this fragrance would be "original" or "groundbreaking" because of the list of interesting ingredients-but when i tried it on it was a version of Le Dandy in a much sexier bottle. the similarity between the two was too close for me to make the purchase.

19th June, 2004