Reviews

Reviews of Nicolaï pour Homme by Nicolaï

Genre: Floral
Nicolai pour Homme enters with a harsh blast of mentholated lavender. As the scent evolves the mint and lavender come to rest on a bed of powdery musk, woods, vanilla, and what just might be a dab of...coconut! Because there's no warmth to this scent, I find it oddly detached, enigmatic, and maybe even alienating. In the end, it creeps me out.

The drydown is a pretty standard issue woods, clean musk, and vanilla, but to my nose there's something unpleasantly "scratchy" about it. Not my thing.
21st June, 2014
gimpy Show all reviews
Cool, balmy lavender

Nicolai PH is a very nice cool, balmy lavender scent. I do detect a hint of mint/menthol, giving it a slight cooling effect. As it dries down it is not that unlike Caron's Third Man (minus the overripe fruit note), it becomes more resinous and ambery. Someone below said it was 3rd man perfected, and I have to agree.

I can't explain enough how wonderful this scent is. Extremely elegant and gentleman-like.

Lasts a good 8 hours. Perfect for work and/or a spring day.

Pros: Versatile
Cons: Very similar to Caron's Third Man"

21st August, 2013
I am fascinated by this scent, its even more appealing then new York, which has better opening, but for me as a woman i feel i can wear this one!!, its floral perfume, lavender-jasmine with hints of smoking , this lavender has pipe n its mouth:-)

Its not very long lasting scent unfortunately, but while it lasts it gives you warm mild smoky feel of lavender garden on your hand

Why would someone discontinue something like this?
10th October, 2012

Sadly discontinued but this one is a fascinating study on lavender. Subtle lavender. Opens with the aforementioned lavender but it's smooth and nuanced. There's hints of galbanum, that bitter green plant but it's not the bombast of Halston's 1-12. I also smell hints of jasmine too. I think that's the key here, everything hints and intrigues you further. The base is a complex blend of oak moss, musk, cedar and dry note that I can't put my nose on. Smells like Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien and that's saying something. Get it if you can find it.

Oh, by the way, it's unisex so ladies, have at it!
16th June, 2012
A classic French juice, very much in the mold of Guerlain and Caron, which is to say, beautifully blended and balanced, strong on the lavender, with multiple aromatics and vanilla… while studiously avoiding the synthetic, strident fruity ambers and metallic citruses that make up most modern juices. This could easily have been put out by Guerlain a couple of decades ago. And -- as a couple of others have noted -- it is startlingly similar to Caron’s Third Man. I A/B’d both on my arm; the the PdN has a more citrusy opening, and the Caron a smokier one, but the drydowns are very, very similar. With 3rd Man running at (ahem) about a Third of the price of the PdN, it is hard to recommend it at current prices if you’re looking for something in this general vein. But still, a thumbs up for its refinement, regardless of price or the competition.
09th January, 2012
I've heard it has been discontinued so I ran to the small but fantastic Patricia Nicolai's perfume shop in South Kensington and bought the last 100 ml Nicolai pour Homme available and I also bought the tester. I shall use it very carefully not to run out of this precious fragrance.
03rd October, 2011
drseid Show all reviews
Disappointing to the extreme. The scent kind of reminds me of a slightly less annoying Cefiro mixed with menthol. It is wearable enough, I guess, but why does someone want to smell like a fresh menthol muscle cream? I bought this one blind, but it was a big mistake. To PdN's credit, they do not run up the tab on their scents and this was no exception. My recommendation is to stick to the line's best masculine targeted scent... New York... Skip this 1.5 star out of 5 terrible one.
09th September, 2011 (last edited: 28th December, 2012)
Masculine fragrances tend to have higher thresholds of propriety yet mystifyingly lower standards of quality. It’s an odd function of male gender and self-regard. Most men would rather wear the cheapest smelling iteration of woody/aquatic/woody amber rubbish than a perfectly executed white floral. That is to say, they would rather smell bad, but like the herd, rather than stand out for beauty. This holds true even for the straight man, who in his secret heart just adores tuberose.

Every now and then there is a notable beauty that somehow still makes the cut of masculine acceptability. Past examples include Carthusia Numero Uno, Guerlain Habit Rouge, Caron le Troisiemme Homme, Tauer’s l’Air du Desert Marocain. Add to that list de Nicolai’s pour Homme. It is a lavender/tobacco/amber stunner that, likely due to its clean, cool lavender, easily passes masculine muster. The discerning nose, though, will spot its beauty and nuance. Lavender is identifiable and acceptable to the masculine nose. In this case, though, it is also the vehicle for introducing a range of qualities, from herbal to floral, that, because they are fellow travelers with the lavender, slide in under a masculine radar that might otherwise be censoring any notes but fresh, light and sport.
24th April, 2011 (last edited: 25th August, 2011)
A moderately sweet, moderately patchouli-bearing spiced wood scent, with just enough "powerhouse"-ness to remind me of some 80s scents (Calvin) without being too sharp or dirty. It's unfortunately one of the worst sufferers of the syndrome where a spot on cloth doesn't smell like anything for the first few minutes...it's almost like an aquatic or EdC with patchouli at first. On my finger, though, I can smell the residue from the sample vial, which is a very mellow, almost coconutty log-cabin wood scent with nutmeg followed later by cinnamon, a lot like the base of Santos. It also sometimes reminds me of the creamy sweet wood of Zino, but less sweet and minus the astringent sagey opening that I dislike. I'm not sure I would buy this because it reminds me of two others I already have and like, but it's a really good compromise between the older, sharper wood scents and the sweeter, smoother ones that I normally prefer.
17th January, 2011
NevilleM Show all reviews
I was in Parfum de Nicholai shop near South Ken, London and they had no stock of Pour Homme. I got the impression from the SA's unclear replies to my questions that it had been taken back to Paris to be improved upon as it "wasn't good enough" (whether this was one batch or an as a whole tinkering I didn't persue).
I'll check there soon as PdNs are bargains of the century prices still (and they had a sale on too)
05th September, 2010
Indeed, a damned fine fragrance.
Starts out with a beautifully bright lemon/ citrus... but quickly morphs into a citrus/ lavender warmth.
As the esteemed tvlampboy calls this a more friendly Gris Clair, I rather find this to be Caron's le 3Man perfected. While there is a certain discordance to the Caron (which may be its charm), PdN does this scent with such grace and suave handling of materials, it's as though Michelangelo came upon a da Vinci, altered it ever so slightly, and made a genius reflection upon a work of genius.
02nd January, 2009
bbBD Show all reviews
Darn.... do you ever want to just cop out and say 'this just smells GOOD'? Well that's how I feel about Nicolai Pour Homme. As already mentioned, lavender is at the heart of this fragrance and is present from application through drydown. When fist applied, the lavender is paired with mint and piney green notes (spruce?). The sharpness of the green notes fades, and for a long time the heart presents itself as lavender with the 'bite' removed by a mix of mint and tobacco. As the base emerges, amber becomes more prominent, the mint drops out, and the composition sweetens slightly. The transitions are seamless as the notes fade in and out. Throughout its life, NPH is constantly presenting a different face... but the changes are always discrete and happen slowly.

There is nothing at all jarring or obtrusive about this fragrance, it just makes you smell good without being overly loud or trying to break ground with some new accord. I could see this as being the fragrance to wear in situations when you're not sure if wearing a fragrance is appropriate. NPH is masculine but could be pulled off by a woman. It stays somewhat close to the skin, but I only gave it a 2-spray application. You'd have to appreciate lavender to some extent to enjoy this, but it's not a sharp, biting lavender at all.

Really, really nice fragrance.
23rd October, 2008
The opening is a nicely balanced aromatic green… The note that is easiest for me to pick out is the lavender; in fact, the lavender grabs prominence and holds on to it through the whole fragrance. In the past several years, lavender has lost much of its charm for me, and I am disappointed that it is so prominent and lasting in the accords of this fragrance. It holds center stage from the opening to the last of the drydown. Except for the lavender and the aromatics that I assume are from the mint and geranium, I can’t pick out individual notes until the drydown where the benzoin, tobacco, and labdanum rise up to claim their own identity out of the amorphous green. I don’t get woods, and I don’t get moss. The fragrance has limited longevity, although it does remain as a discreet skin scent for an hour or two. I enjoy the skin scent phase of it.

The accords, lavender included, are so well done that I can’t help but admire the artisan quality they present, but, subtle and beautiful as it seems to be, it is also lavender, lavender, lavender, making Nicolai pour Homme a must try for the lavender lover. I’ll pass.
17th September, 2008

Nicolai Pour Homme is a scent that is very wearable for me. I love the opening. I don't object to mint as much as a lot of reviewers here do, but even so the mint is dealt with very delicately in this scent. This scent is green, but not too green, woody but not too woody. It's a fougère but not completely. It's masculine but not too masculine. I was addicted to it when I first bought it. I still reach for it frequently. People aren't used to a fragrance like this as it is so unique, so I get many compliments when I wear it. It's a nice one this.
19th August, 2008
JaimeB Show all reviews
Green and semi-fougère (without the coumarin), but very subtle and beautiful. This is a discreet and masculine perfume that is uplifting and energizing because of its cool freshness and green aura. The florals in the heart note are present, but not overwhelming, and the base is mossy-woody with tobacco and oriental touches. This is elegant and open, outgoing, and far from staid; and yet, it gives the impression of decency and uprightness, the mark of an honorable and forthright man.
10th June, 2008
Smells like an airy cypress with mint rather than a lavender and sage. Reminds me of Creed's Cypres-Musc with a very predominant wood note.
09th June, 2008
Gris Clair's warmer, friendlier cousin. (Not really close enough to be a sibling, but definitely in the same formal lavender clan.)

I'm not usually a huge fan of mint (witness my general indifference to Live Jazz, Pasha and others), but the mint really, really works here.

The frag itself does warm up a bit as the wearing goes on, true, but this neverthelss a formal, almost aloof kind of frag from beginning to end. (Great for the office, but probably not a romantic dinner kind of frag, let alone casual Friday.)

Thumbs up, granted, but only with the provisos above firmly in place.
12th May, 2008
Fragrance notes: mint, galbanum, lavender, jasmine, spruce, cedar, geranium, tobacco moss, amber benzoin, labdanum
Nicolai pour Homme has two contradictory phases. I tried it for the first phase, and for an all-too-brief period the icy mint and spicy galbanum were interesting. Then NpH does a 180-degree turn and warms up too much! There are very, very ambery tones: balsam, vanilla, coconut, leather, butter. The amber, labdanum and benzoin make an ambery brew that is ponderously rich. Not woody enough to interest me, too sweet, not my style at all. A disappointment.
05th April, 2008
It opens, quite bitter and minty, somewhere to the exotic left of Azzaro Pour Homme. It continues down this path: cool, enigmatic, with almost a sense of elegant melancholy as the previous reviewer has so aptly observed. A deep and sober scent, highly poetic and evocative ... but of what? Death, regret, loss, age, time itself? There seems to be a sort of 'Creed notes' about the final developments.
03rd June, 2005
Prof_S Show all reviews
Strange but interesting stuff - quite different from anything else I’ve tried. De Nicolai’s site says there are also warm ingredients in it, but it smells cool and oddly melancholic to me. There’s mint in it, but not a candy-cane or Tic-Tac mint: maybe some wild herb in the mint family. I like it well enough to use it in warm weather for variety when I’m desperate for a change from citrus smells, but it really does not make me smile at every whiff like de Nicolai’s New York does. Certainly, no woman will be driven wild by the raw sexuality you exude (since you won’t) while wearing it.
03rd December, 2004