Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Decent opening of citrus, bergamot, spices, aldehydes, on vanillin and soft woods. General – and generic – sharp cleanness, that kind of contemporary cheap "elegance" you smell in gyms, offices, downtown bars... not stinky, but terribly dull.

08 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

A perfectly decent and rather "clean" oriental, but far too tame for me to get worked up about. Yes, it's an oriental you can wear during the daytime and in business settings, but that may only be because it's just a little bland. Harmless, really, and harmless is not something I look for from this kind of scent.

Little sillage on me, and absolutely no development or staying power.

10th June, 2014

PerfumeCollector's avatar

This is a fragrance that really grew on me.
    At first the olive blossom note was off putting for me and disliked the scent, then little by little it earned a place in my rotation and now is one of my favorites.
    Another reason not to judge a perfume on first impressions, or disregard a fragrance just after on sample or two, give the perfume a chance to gain your heart.
    The dominant note is the mentioned olive blossom, but the tobacco and leather combination es fairly distinguishable, but it is nicely balanced by the tonka bean and star anise. A well constructed scent, balanced and well blended with a nice touch of woods
    It has good sillage and longevity, the only objection is its price, while not stratospheric, it is not at the reach of many people.

26 January, 2014

cologne65's avatar

this is a nice powdery scent that has a long lasting strength to it. I have noticed the more expensive colognes today are not nearly as masculine as the classic older colognes I have worn. this armani code brand seems to be a popular selling cologne.

06 January, 2014

scentgent's avatar

Smells nice and safe, but burns out pretty quickly. Definitely Not worth the price tag.

I would rather look into Armani Code Ultimate before this.

05 November, 2013

Gumption111's avatar

Masterpiece

You dont need to know the notes, or the "scent development". Just know that it smells amazing and should be a staple in everyones collection. Compliments: Yes People Pleaser: Yes Versatility: Spring/Fall/Winter Sillage: High end of average.

Pros: Scent
    Cons: Market Saturation"

21st September, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

Nice bit not mind blowing

Armani Code is :
    Elegant,soft,creamy,cozy and powdery and you can imagine a dark handsome man as a smooth operator in suit drinking his espresso in a lounge bar after a good lunch.
    I like the blending of it but i lacks projection imo.
    On the scale from 0 till 10 it projects 6 and for this kind of scent i would like them stronger.
    All being said this is a very familiar and great scent to wear on evenings out or at a wedding in late summer - autumn settings.

Im curious to smell its cheaper version Salvador Dali Black Sun now. If its true that Black Sun has more projection i will more likely buy this instead of Armani Code which is very expensive here.

Pros: Generally liked by many
    Cons: mainstream and too expensive"

24 August, 2013

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

Synthetic sweets

Citrus, powder, and...I swear I get cocoa as well. Am I hallucinating? Nobody else mentioned that.

Well, the bottom line is that I find Code completely synthetic and boring. Flat. Too sweet, in fact, a little cloying.

At first I was thinking that a gourmand is supposed too have an aspect of deliciousness about it. Then I realised Code is not supposed to be a gourmand fragrance, rather a more straight up oriental. What part of the Orient are we talking about then? Kuala Lumpur? Candy store?

17 July, 2013

SnapDemon's avatar

Good but not great

This scent is classic. But not particular unique.

Pros: Classic Smell
    Cons:

11th June, 2013

craquelure's avatar

Safe, inoffensive but average.

I tried spraying Armani Code in a breezy spring night for the first time (2013). The leather scent is prominent throughout its life but it is not that strong to make it too cloying due to its soft spicy and warm texture thanks to star anise and tobacco. Having a father that has been a chain-smoker in most of his life, I do not like the smell of cigars as if trying to overdose yourself with masculinity. Nevertheless, I commend Antoine Lie, Antoine Maisondieu and Clement Gavarry for this creation on how they make tobacco smells good despite my disgust to it. The initial notes of bergamot and lemon gives that refreshing and citrus vibe as it plays with the grassy feeling of olive blossom giving a tad sweetness and saltiness to it. I also like the powderiness of tonka bean that gives a comforting feeling to ladies and the mild tea-rose-like odour that gives sexiness to it.
    In the end of night, I ask myself if I adore this scent. Sadly no. Longevity is good but its sillage and projection is poor which is only effective if you are looking for an intimate moments with your partner. It's sexiness won't shout out to the world or echoes like the song of LMFAO, I'm Sexy and I Know It. It is sexy but not intellectually romantic, suave but not elegant, juxtaposition of modern and classiness but lacks confidence. It is good but not great. Overall, I find it too safe, inoffensive and average.Neither hate it nor like it. It is not a perfume that I can see myself in an Armani suit.

Pros: Smells sexy
    Cons: Poor projection and sillage

26 May, 2013

MarcosOliveira's avatar

EXPLENDIDO

Armani Code é um perfume para estigar as mulheres,profundamente elegante,com fixação boa e projeção na medida correta,discreto mas é bem marcante. pena ter muitas cópias por ai,mas esse é o original,seu aroma conquista e arrebata a quem sente,as mulheres é claro.

Pros: Sexy,com boa fixação e aroma magnifico
    Cons: caro

18 May, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

First fragrance I've ever owned. Sweet, musk, slightly leathery. Smells like something you would wear when going out. I think Midnight in Paris accomplishes the same task with much better performance and scent.

12 May, 2013

thines01's avatar

This is the first fragrance I purchased for myself. I found it accidentally while looking for computer source code and out of curiosity, I (eventually) went to the mall to find it.
    I like the powdery smell and the whole fragrance is pleasant and non-offensive to me.
    The fragrance projects for a couple of hours and becomes a skin-scent that I feel is pleasant in close-quarters.
    The sillage is a about 3 feet on me and is noticeable while moving and turning.
    It really settles after about 6 hours of wear, but I prefer that if I'm going to clean up and change fragrances for the evening or go without an added frag.
    This is my signature scent. Since I work in an office environment, I can wear this year round (consistent temperature inside).

11th May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

Powder, citrus. End of story. Nothing new here folks. Smells safe. nice. did I mention safe?

05 May, 2013

Keithkam's avatar

One of my favorite scents. It's very powdery, dark, and mysterious; but extremely classy. I think most people who hate on it are too worried about it being a mainstream, "safe" type scent; or just not their cup of tea. The projection is just average, but longevity is above average in my eyes. Great for office wear, or a night out, as any girl I've ever been involved with absolutely lived the smell (maybe even more so than myself).

05 March, 2013

JoshPeters's avatar

Extremley dark and masculine, not dark in a gourmand way, just mysterious!
    Used to wear this a lot and recently aquired a new bottle as a gift, forgot how much I loved this juice!
    Despite it's infamous longevity and projection issues, it actually does OK on me, probably not far off DHI! (I think I have something up with my skin!) I do layer this with the shower gel and balm though...

I really pick up on a vanilla vibe with this frag, a powdery dark vanilla that is just devine.
    IMO this frag is very versatile, I would wear all year round but would primarily wear this at night. It can work well on those cold winter days. I wouldn't wear on a summers day though unless you want to kill yourself of course...

Big thumbs up, one of the better scents from Armani - good job!

20th January, 2013

bloodhound.md's avatar

Wow im confused . I thought i was going to hate this . I always ignored this one till i was chating with the lady at maceys and haveing her smell every fragrence they owne . My M O .
    She directed me to this and i remember reading bad comments about this on here in few bloggs . Needless to say they were wrong in my opinion . This is a awesone sent that smelt not to great on paper then the lady was like noooo no nooo you have to put this one on . I held my arm out closed my eyes and got blasted wich is what the sprayer does its a good one let me tell ya . Ultra good sprayer on this bottle i might add . I was baffled becauss on skin it is super warm and masculent and fresh at the same time . She said women like how it smells and i can see why . It could project better yes but sometimes others can smell you better than you can . im defiantly grabing a bottle of this ide be a fool not to .

14 January, 2013

's avatar

Code smells absolutely delicious! There isnt much left to say about it. Warm and comforting, this scent just could project more and last more to be higher in the rank. Despite the lack of projection, i do like this and it's worth it in my opinion. This is a must try at least. Thumbs up!

06 January, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

At first I hated this fragrance. I had never worn a powdery scent so I was very turned off by how in your face it is with its powdery oriental feel. After a few wears, I really started to enjoy this scent. I started to pick up that burst of lemon in the opening that really sets it off. I could be wrong but I think the olive flower is what makes it so powdery. It disappears after 4-5 hours which transitions into a nice tonka bean base.

This has the potential to be a signature scent but it would never be my signature scent. Women seem to really be attracted to this scent as well. My favorite part about this scent is how it has perfect projection so it won't offend anybody. My biggest gripe is it can be a little spotty with the longevity but I'll get at least 5 hours either way.

8.7/10

16 December, 2012

Robzrx7's avatar

I tend to decide what fragrance to wear going by the weather and what mood Im in. That being said I wear this on a cool but sunny day or strictly at night. Projection and longevity are so-so you might have to reapply once during the day. This isn't one of those "for everyone" type of fragrances so I wouldn't recommend blind buying.

05 December, 2012

david black's avatar

It's very popular, but for good reason. I really like to wear fragrances that most people have never smelled or heard of, but you cannot go wrong with this. I love the spicy pepper notes in it and I'm surprised at how long it lasts on my skin being an EDT and not an EDP. It's a perfect cologne for the winter season.

05 December, 2012

PabloLicht's avatar

This is amazing, love it form start to finish, the vanilla, the lemon.. perfect. It lacks projection and longevity but the sweetness and overall smell is worth the price you pay for this.

23 November, 2012

timdoeswell's avatar

One of my first fragrances (about 8 years ago), and although it's a good, safe introduction to the world of fragrances, I've come to want something a bit more bold and unique.

It's a bit overpriced for a designer fragrance, wears a little close to the skin after an hour or two, and is the Aqua di Gio of night time scents in Australia (too many people wear it).

That having been said, it is still a safe fragrance for a more formal evening at which you're not looking to create a stir, and its relatively low projection means you're not going to be accosting anyone's nostrils.

There are many better fragrances out there for the price, many of which will make you stand out from the crowd a bit more.

16 November, 2012

dagawami's avatar

I was in the store trying many fragrances, and Armani Code didn't jump out at me initially. In fact, I ended up buying a Chanel perfume instead. But somehow the memory of AC's scent lingered in my mind and I couldn't get over it, so the next day I went back and bought it.

AC starts out fresh but quickly dries down to a delicious creamy base that is undeniably masculine. It is dark and very alluring, and reminds me of a sexy, classy and mysterious man. Great as an evening scent but suitable for office wear as well.

09 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This one is pretty good. Very good Longevity. Definitely a good blind buy. I can smell the bergamot and lemon right away. Nicely done. Not too complex, which is good because it may have done this frag an injustice.

30th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2012)

Jack Hunter's avatar

I'm picking up bergamont and lemon with leather all mixed together with sweet anise. Within the mix is also olive and tobacco adding to the notes but in the background to the dominant lemon,leather and anise combo.

It smells fresh and sweet and a little bit powdery and would be perfect for the evening or romantic nights out with your girlfriend.

25 September, 2012

Shon T's avatar

Grown man scent. This is a suit and tie fragrance. This says confidence and class.

23 September, 2012

Francolino's avatar

kinky and dark!

29 August, 2012

blackers_92's avatar

Without sounding like a pretentious hipster, I had this before it was cool!

Code seems to really have taken off over the past 2-3 years. Regularly stocked and discounted at major stores where I live it seems to have become extremely popular. Personally I don't think the smell is anything special, it is quite masculine and last a good 10-12 hours. I soon grew tired of colleagues coming into work wearing the same scent. Without exaggeration I had about 6 people purchase it within a year of working in a small team of about 15 people. Very distinguishable and kind of unoriginal. The guy who works in the perfume department wears it, the guy who works in the dock wears it etc. It has become a scent that a lot of young try hard men abuse by drowning themselves in rather than spraying on making it unpleasant for everyone else. I know it is extremely unfair to give a fragrance a negative review based on its users rather than its scent but it needs to die.

13 April, 2012

Jasonk931's avatar

Normally I am not given to these type of fragrances. however, after years of well....LIFE, time and maturity has prawn my nose in different diirections. i remember when this first came out, everyone wreaked of this stuff. if you lit a match in a night club, it would have exploded instantaneously! Armanishima!
    Recently I revisited this fragrance....tadaaaaaaa! not just liking it, but LOVING IT! the strange part? it's spring right now!!! the opening of citrus is so refreshing on a spring morning when it's still cool outside, but beginning to warm. the fragrance follows this season well. the middle notes of floral bring a soft warmth, and then the base notes kick in with the guiac wood and the tonka bean like a woody campfire evening wrapped up by a good dessert (Tonka Bean). Albeit, when the temps get too hot, this one will knot work for me. I don't enjoy a gourmand-esque type ending to my fragrance in the summer. Give me crisp, green, icy, and dirty patchouli like fragrances then and I am a happy man. peace and cheers all.

27 March, 2012