Neutral Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Decent opening of citrus, bergamot, spices, aldehydes, on vanillin and soft woods. General – and generic – sharp cleanness, that kind of contemporary cheap "elegance" you smell in gyms, offices, downtown bars... not stinky, but terribly dull.

08 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

A perfectly decent and rather "clean" oriental, but far too tame for me to get worked up about. Yes, it's an oriental you can wear during the daytime and in business settings, but that may only be because it's just a little bland. Harmless, really, and harmless is not something I look for from this kind of scent.

Little sillage on me, and absolutely no development or staying power.

10th June, 2014

scentgent's avatar

Smells nice and safe, but burns out pretty quickly. Definitely Not worth the price tag.

I would rather look into Armani Code Ultimate before this.

05 November, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

Nice bit not mind blowing

Armani Code is :
    Elegant,soft,creamy,cozy and powdery and you can imagine a dark handsome man as a smooth operator in suit drinking his espresso in a lounge bar after a good lunch.
    I like the blending of it but i lacks projection imo.
    On the scale from 0 till 10 it projects 6 and for this kind of scent i would like them stronger.
    All being said this is a very familiar and great scent to wear on evenings out or at a wedding in late summer - autumn settings.

Im curious to smell its cheaper version Salvador Dali Black Sun now. If its true that Black Sun has more projection i will more likely buy this instead of Armani Code which is very expensive here.

Pros: Generally liked by many
    Cons: mainstream and too expensive"

24 August, 2013

SnapDemon's avatar

Good but not great

This scent is classic. But not particular unique.

Pros: Classic Smell
    Cons:

11th June, 2013

craquelure's avatar

Safe, inoffensive but average.

I tried spraying Armani Code in a breezy spring night for the first time (2013). The leather scent is prominent throughout its life but it is not that strong to make it too cloying due to its soft spicy and warm texture thanks to star anise and tobacco. Having a father that has been a chain-smoker in most of his life, I do not like the smell of cigars as if trying to overdose yourself with masculinity. Nevertheless, I commend Antoine Lie, Antoine Maisondieu and Clement Gavarry for this creation on how they make tobacco smells good despite my disgust to it. The initial notes of bergamot and lemon gives that refreshing and citrus vibe as it plays with the grassy feeling of olive blossom giving a tad sweetness and saltiness to it. I also like the powderiness of tonka bean that gives a comforting feeling to ladies and the mild tea-rose-like odour that gives sexiness to it.
    In the end of night, I ask myself if I adore this scent. Sadly no. Longevity is good but its sillage and projection is poor which is only effective if you are looking for an intimate moments with your partner. It's sexiness won't shout out to the world or echoes like the song of LMFAO, I'm Sexy and I Know It. It is sexy but not intellectually romantic, suave but not elegant, juxtaposition of modern and classiness but lacks confidence. It is good but not great. Overall, I find it too safe, inoffensive and average.Neither hate it nor like it. It is not a perfume that I can see myself in an Armani suit.

Pros: Smells sexy
    Cons: Poor projection and sillage

26 May, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

First fragrance I've ever owned. Sweet, musk, slightly leathery. Smells like something you would wear when going out. I think Midnight in Paris accomplishes the same task with much better performance and scent.

12 May, 2013

timdoeswell's avatar

One of my first fragrances (about 8 years ago), and although it's a good, safe introduction to the world of fragrances, I've come to want something a bit more bold and unique.

It's a bit overpriced for a designer fragrance, wears a little close to the skin after an hour or two, and is the Aqua di Gio of night time scents in Australia (too many people wear it).

That having been said, it is still a safe fragrance for a more formal evening at which you're not looking to create a stir, and its relatively low projection means you're not going to be accosting anyone's nostrils.

There are many better fragrances out there for the price, many of which will make you stand out from the crowd a bit more.

16 November, 2012

smellzgood's avatar

The lemon and bergamot opening is accurate and starts off somewhat nicely. The dry down, however, is less desireable: the result is a pungent, peppery amalgam with a slight bitter citrus note blended in. Even when applied moderately, it burns the nostrils. I don't like this one much but I wear it because I have a bottle lying around. I did receive a compliment on this scent today from a woman at my office. Apparently she really likes it. The projection must be adequate. I would not buy this one again. As a side note, longevity is now at 5 and a half hours and still going.

12 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 January, 2012)

tintin's avatar

Armani Code to me smells like a mixture of bitter orange and powder.

What i hated about it is that it has a below average projection and lasts on my skin for 3 hrs max and on my shirt for 6 hrs+ dats all.

Not worthy of a thumbsup from my side.

01st December, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2011)

dollars&scents's avatar

Armani Code/Black Code by Giorgio Armani - The opening is a citrusy duet of lemon and bergamot. The heart insinuates nicely, adding hints of sweetness, spice and floral, from its star anise and olive tree blossom components. Strengthening, this stirring middle adds a more pronounced powdery sweet flavor, and a faint, smoky chocolate note. The enchanting base, with its tonka bean and guiac wood, overtakes the fragrance, kidnapping the light floral, and adds a creaminess and aridness, as well as a light smokiness, to its comforting drydown. This robust composition is an all-season and sensual scent. Regrettably, its longevity and projection leave much to be desired.

18 November, 2011

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a dark, masculine and sexy fragrance.
    Most of the girls will die for this type of scent!lol
    At the opening there is a pleasant note of lemon which is dark because of the tobacco and leather notes and also some sweetness. the tobacco and lemon is much more intense to my nose .
    After that, in the dry down the smell change a bit and sweet and powdery smell comes in with tobacco and leather and some floral notes.
    Be honest with you, the powdery smell is cloying sometimes and I do recommend that don't spray too much on your neck! I think It's better to do one spray on your chest, one on your neck and two on your wrists.
    The projection with this fragrance is great but longevity sucks!
    For the first 2 hours this fragrance jump off like crazy from my skin but after that become skin scent and after 3 hours it's gone! too pity!

18 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2012)

yoyo's avatar

Indescribably ordinary. It smells like the scent of hundreds other guys. If you want to stand out don't buy this. However it doesn't smell bad and you probably won't offend anyone.

15 July, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

Smelling this again for the first time in years, I seem to remember it being better. It opens with a vague powdery wood like Burberry Brit, but it's spicier and less floral. There's a little bit of anise, but I can deal with it (for now), and just a bit of fruit hiding in the background. The suspense is agonizing: I'm waiting for something to happen, but I'm afraid this quiet scent is just going to keep getting quieter. It does get more rubbery, though, like you added a dash of Bulgari Black to a mix of Dunhill 2003 and Azzaro. The base smooths out a bit, losing some of the fruity and powdery edge but at the expense of most of its distinguishing features. In the end, all that's left is the standard sweet licorice-powder and fruity shampoo-wood that a lot of men's designer orientals devolve into these days. Still, I might consider it as an alternative to the similar scent but mind-melting strength of Opium PH.

26 June, 2011

wannabe connoisseur's avatar

One sniff and a sharp lemon begins to register, which softens into a soft spice almost immediately (within minutes). Not an hour later and it retains the spice in the form of vanilla; quickly becoming a subtle lotion of a smell instead of an EdT. It seems to be rather popular and a commercial success despite being very shortlived and conservative.
    A good point is that I do get many compliments from the ladies when I wear this, although I can't see many redeeming qualities myself.

Could be useful for a night out, but it has a quality and character that can't be worn everyday without becoming too bland or dull.

14 April, 2011

Jridgen's avatar

Here are my two cents. Armani code was one of my first fragrance purchases (Coaxed strongly from girlfriend). That I would describe as the gist of the fragrance: women do seem to like it quite a bit. For me it tends to get a bit boring and linear.

Midnight in Paris does the same thing but blows this away. Not purchase worthy IMO.

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2012)

RYU's avatar

armani code is nice smell..but it is really quickly dissappearing of my skin..code is not strong fragrance..

and yo can not feeling this perfume..sorry code but more important for me to be strong perfume

15 January, 2011

cascade1's avatar

Great scent, turns woody as it dries out.
    However one big problem, it doesn't last!!
    After 1-2 hours the scent is gone.

05 January, 2011

Darvant's avatar

It lasts just the time it usually takes to get from home to club, second concern is that it's not naughty for aiming to be a real dark weapon for a night out, too kinda good student chill out aroma, too much gentle for my taste, too serenely mild. It's a decent oriental, good for daytime usage, woody and appealing to the mass. Not bad the couple tonka bean-olive flower that is the oily soul of the scent (the smell of olive flower is absolutely detectable may be rounded by tobacco and mild woods). Its powdery (but slightly rooty) temperament is pleasant and slightly sporty.

31st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2014)

Subbie's avatar

On my skin, all this evolves into is the smell of tic-tacs. You know, powdery, sweet, slightly minty. I guess some people would like that but if I want to smell like breath mints, I'll rub tic-tacs all over my body.

Don't get me wrong - it's fairly pleasant and I'd wear it if I had it, but that's just not enough for me to give it a thumbs up.

If there was a time to use this, I'd still prefer La Nuit de l'Homme. It's quite similar but turns into something nicer on me.

YMMV.

28 December, 2010

PaladinX's avatar

The scent is nice, It is non offensive. I get a slightly citrus, but mostly powdery tonka feel. In short, baby powder and vanilla kind of appeal. If you want something factual, than here it is. Do not listen to people that always claim things last 8 to 20 hours with great projection. I have a real gripe with fragrance people these days. They all turned into a bunch of real wimps. This fragrance is not strong at all. It is a very close to the skin kind of scent that doesn't last too long nor does it project a ton. I don't know what kind of fragile little noses some people have on this site, but its a very subtle kind of fragrance.

14 December, 2010

Backstrom19's avatar

This is a nice fall fragrance, that is great for the younger crowd. However, because it is a Giogio Armani fragrance, lots of people do have it. I would describe it as a warm spicy woody scent, that is a great night wear. Longevity and projection are decent, but with an armani fragrance you are essentially paying for the name. so there are definitely a lot of better woody oriental scents out there. However, it is a relatively enjoyable scent, and i would give it a 6.5 out of 10. I have to say i do like it, and it is very appealing. one to look into if you are looking for a fall/winter scent.

17 November, 2010

Uncle Ben's avatar

Pretty decent cologne aside from the soapy smell... it has a refreshing fragrance but you will also realize that many other guys are wearing it too. Its just OK for me.

27 August, 2010

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar

Philippine Philippine

this one is kinda meh.

19 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2011)

rev0lut10n's avatar

Was let down by this. A run of the mill, citrus scent with hardly any originality at all. Smells only slightly different to me to Diesel's "Only The Brave", which was brought as a gift for me (and I'm not too keen on either). Not terrible, not impressive.

17 May, 2010

poppacooter's avatar

it's just another me too cologne. nothing to get excited about.

28 January, 2010

tanto's avatar

After being on the market for almost six years, this is one fragrance that to this day I still can't seem to figure out. It does nothing for me......neither here, nor there.

08 December, 2009

thatsmr2usir's avatar

This here is a rather nice frag. I would give it a thumbs up, but it does not last long, maybe 3 hours or so and for that reason I cant go up! But I will remain neutral because by no mains its not a bad scent. I get a very soft feel from Black Code. Try before you buy!

07 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2009)

MrFragranceReview's avatar

At first it doesn't seem like a "black fragrance". It's slightly sweet and has a very distinctive note to it. But the more I wore it the more I liked it. It's a very good going out scent and gets plenty of compliments. It's quite citrusy for an evening fragrance but, it's easily summed up.
    It's very pleasant and begins with a zing of lemony citrus over a slightly powdery note, tonka bean, subtle florals and guiac wood. I can't see many people not liking this which is a good or bad thing depending on your stance is regarding that. It gets less citrusy as it dies down yet doesn't really chance much.

While the fragrance is universally liked and lasts a decent while and projects well, I only find it above average and it gets a bit boring after a while.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2011)

seanestcontent's avatar

This was the first fragrance I owned. I still have half of the bottle remaining. I used to really enjoy it, but I think it was because I had nothing to compare it to, since I was only a novice fragrance sampler. It is definitely a spicy scent, but I agree with others in saying that it smells synthetic. When I smell this, I imagine a questionable club scene with the usual skeevy club characters. Whenever I wear this cologne, I'm usually headed into the direction of that club scene. Since I continue to wear this, although rarely (compared with my other fragrances), I guess it can't be that bad. I think though, that there are many more fragrances of better quality on the market.

16 June, 2009