Positive Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

PerfumeCollector's avatar

This is a fragrance that really grew on me.
    At first the olive blossom note was off putting for me and disliked the scent, then little by little it earned a place in my rotation and now is one of my favorites.
    Another reason not to judge a perfume on first impressions, or disregard a fragrance just after on sample or two, give the perfume a chance to gain your heart.
    The dominant note is the mentioned olive blossom, but the tobacco and leather combination es fairly distinguishable, but it is nicely balanced by the tonka bean and star anise. A well constructed scent, balanced and well blended with a nice touch of woods
    It has good sillage and longevity, the only objection is its price, while not stratospheric, it is not at the reach of many people.

26 January, 2014

cologne65's avatar

this is a nice powdery scent that has a long lasting strength to it. I have noticed the more expensive colognes today are not nearly as masculine as the classic older colognes I have worn. this armani code brand seems to be a popular selling cologne.

06 January, 2014

Gumption111's avatar

Masterpiece

You dont need to know the notes, or the "scent development". Just know that it smells amazing and should be a staple in everyones collection. Compliments: Yes People Pleaser: Yes Versatility: Spring/Fall/Winter Sillage: High end of average.

Pros: Scent
    Cons: Market Saturation"

21st September, 2013

MarcosOliveira's avatar

EXPLENDIDO

Armani Code é um perfume para estigar as mulheres,profundamente elegante,com fixação boa e projeção na medida correta,discreto mas é bem marcante. pena ter muitas cópias por ai,mas esse é o original,seu aroma conquista e arrebata a quem sente,as mulheres é claro.

Pros: Sexy,com boa fixação e aroma magnifico
    Cons: caro

18 May, 2013

thines01's avatar

This is the first fragrance I purchased for myself. I found it accidentally while looking for computer source code and out of curiosity, I (eventually) went to the mall to find it.
    I like the powdery smell and the whole fragrance is pleasant and non-offensive to me.
    The fragrance projects for a couple of hours and becomes a skin-scent that I feel is pleasant in close-quarters.
    The sillage is a about 3 feet on me and is noticeable while moving and turning.
    It really settles after about 6 hours of wear, but I prefer that if I'm going to clean up and change fragrances for the evening or go without an added frag.
    Since I work in an office environment, I can wear this year round (consistent temperature inside).

11th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2014)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Powder, citrus. End of story. Nothing new here folks. Smells safe. nice. did I mention safe?

05 May, 2013

Keithkam's avatar

One of my favorite scents. It's very powdery, dark, and mysterious; but extremely classy. I think most people who hate on it are too worried about it being a mainstream, "safe" type scent; or just not their cup of tea. The projection is just average, but longevity is above average in my eyes. Great for office wear, or a night out, as any girl I've ever been involved with absolutely lived the smell (maybe even more so than myself).

05 March, 2013

JoshPeters's avatar

Extremley dark and masculine, not dark in a gourmand way, just mysterious!
    Used to wear this a lot and recently aquired a new bottle as a gift, forgot how much I loved this juice!
    Despite it's infamous longevity and projection issues, it actually does OK on me, probably not far off DHI! (I think I have something up with my skin!) I do layer this with the shower gel and balm though...

I really pick up on a vanilla vibe with this frag, a powdery dark vanilla that is just devine.
    IMO this frag is very versatile, I would wear all year round but would primarily wear this at night. It can work well on those cold winter days. I wouldn't wear on a summers day though unless you want to kill yourself of course...

Big thumbs up, one of the better scents from Armani - good job!

20th January, 2013

bloodhound.md's avatar

Wow im confused . I thought i was going to hate this . I always ignored this one till i was chating with the lady at maceys and haveing her smell every fragrence they owne . My M O .
    She directed me to this and i remember reading bad comments about this on here in few bloggs . Needless to say they were wrong in my opinion . This is a awesone sent that smelt not to great on paper then the lady was like noooo no nooo you have to put this one on . I held my arm out closed my eyes and got blasted wich is what the sprayer does its a good one let me tell ya . Ultra good sprayer on this bottle i might add . I was baffled becauss on skin it is super warm and masculent and fresh at the same time . She said women like how it smells and i can see why . It could project better yes but sometimes others can smell you better than you can . im defiantly grabing a bottle of this ide be a fool not to .

14 January, 2013

's avatar

Code smells absolutely delicious! There isnt much left to say about it. Warm and comforting, this scent just could project more and last more to be higher in the rank. Despite the lack of projection, i do like this and it's worth it in my opinion. This is a must try at least. Thumbs up!

06 January, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

At first I hated this fragrance. I had never worn a powdery scent so I was very turned off by how in your face it is with its powdery oriental feel. After a few wears, I really started to enjoy this scent. I started to pick up that burst of lemon in the opening that really sets it off. I could be wrong but I think the olive flower is what makes it so powdery. It disappears after 4-5 hours which transitions into a nice tonka bean base.

This has the potential to be a signature scent but it would never be my signature scent. Women seem to really be attracted to this scent as well. My favorite part about this scent is how it has perfect projection so it won't offend anybody. My biggest gripe is it can be a little spotty with the longevity but I'll get at least 5 hours either way.

8.7/10

16 December, 2012

Robzrx7's avatar

I tend to decide what fragrance to wear going by the weather and what mood Im in. That being said I wear this on a cool but sunny day or strictly at night. Projection and longevity are so-so you might have to reapply once during the day. This isn't one of those "for everyone" type of fragrances so I wouldn't recommend blind buying.

05 December, 2012

david black's avatar

It's very popular, but for good reason. I really like to wear fragrances that most people have never smelled or heard of, but you cannot go wrong with this. I love the spicy pepper notes in it and I'm surprised at how long it lasts on my skin being an EDT and not an EDP. It's a perfect cologne for the winter season.

05 December, 2012

PabloLicht's avatar

This is amazing, love it form start to finish, the vanilla, the lemon.. perfect. It lacks projection and longevity but the sweetness and overall smell is worth the price you pay for this.

23 November, 2012

dagawami's avatar

I was in the store trying many fragrances, and Armani Code didn't jump out at me initially. In fact, I ended up buying a Chanel perfume instead. But somehow the memory of AC's scent lingered in my mind and I couldn't get over it, so the next day I went back and bought it.

AC starts out fresh but quickly dries down to a delicious creamy base that is undeniably masculine. It is dark and very alluring, and reminds me of a sexy, classy and mysterious man. Great as an evening scent but suitable for office wear as well.

09 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This one is pretty good. Very good Longevity. Definitely a good blind buy. I can smell the bergamot and lemon right away. Nicely done. Not too complex, which is good because it may have done this frag an injustice.

30th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2012)

Jack Hunter's avatar

I'm picking up bergamont and lemon with leather all mixed together with sweet anise. Within the mix is also olive and tobacco adding to the notes but in the background to the dominant lemon,leather and anise combo.

It smells fresh and sweet and a little bit powdery and would be perfect for the evening or romantic nights out with your girlfriend.

25 September, 2012

Shon T's avatar

Grown man scent. This is a suit and tie fragrance. This says confidence and class.

23 September, 2012

Francolino's avatar

kinky and dark!

29 August, 2012

Jasonk931's avatar

Normally I am not given to these type of fragrances. however, after years of well....LIFE, time and maturity has prawn my nose in different diirections. i remember when this first came out, everyone wreaked of this stuff. if you lit a match in a night club, it would have exploded instantaneously! Armanishima!
    Recently I revisited this fragrance....tadaaaaaaa! not just liking it, but LOVING IT! the strange part? it's spring right now!!! the opening of citrus is so refreshing on a spring morning when it's still cool outside, but beginning to warm. the fragrance follows this season well. the middle notes of floral bring a soft warmth, and then the base notes kick in with the guiac wood and the tonka bean like a woody campfire evening wrapped up by a good dessert (Tonka Bean). Albeit, when the temps get too hot, this one will knot work for me. I don't enjoy a gourmand-esque type ending to my fragrance in the summer. Give me crisp, green, icy, and dirty patchouli like fragrances then and I am a happy man. peace and cheers all.

27 March, 2012

Osi1s's avatar

Blast of lemon/freshness that mellows down to a subtle leathery musk and yet still smells quite fresh after hours. There's no denying the silage and longevity of this bad boy and it does earn its share of compliments from the office to a date for a safe scent.

Negative would have to be its an exceptionally common fragrance.

26 March, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

The thing about Armani Code is that it's extremely sexy but rather difficult to describe. It's not spicy like most masculine scents, for example, YSL's Opium for Men or CK's Obsession for Men.

In some ways it's a clean and soapy interpretation of a spicy scent with a touch of citrus and leather. There is such an aura of confidence and elegance surrounding this fragrance, making it rather formal in a way, like something you'd perhaps wear with a traditional tux.

The olive blossom is a wonderfully unique additive to the composition, bringing with it an interesting saltiness which is quite alluring on the skin.

There is a powdery like aspect to this fragrance that tends to develop more towards the drydown. Do not fear, it's a masculine powderiness, nothing like sweet, flowery baby powder or anything like that.

Refined and somewhat formal, yet easily transferred into day-wear, Armani Code is probably one of the nicest Giorgio Armani scents I've tried. It's successful in being simplistic and not too over-the-top or too edgy. The longevity and the projection is good which is an added bonus of course. I recommend this fragrance for formal wear, cold weather and those fashion-conscious men.

24 March, 2012

lotsomelow16's avatar

Love this fragrance, had so many compliments on it! I've read alot of reviews, and many people are saying that the longevity on this fragrance is poor. This is not true! Give it 1-2 hours to really kick in. The dry down is subtle, and sometimes it isnt. It's as if the colder the environment, the more silage power it has.

Longevity - 9
    Projection - 8
    Season best in - Fall/Winter
    Overall - 9/10

22 February, 2012

Capone's avatar

armani code is a nice powdery tobaccoey leather concoction with a touch of guiiac woods and tonka bean that really has a lot of appeal with the younger crowd

kinda sweet and youthful and recommended if u want a nice date night scent

22 February, 2012

The Israelite's avatar

I got this fragrance as a gift and I must say I really like it.
    To me it has a musky lemon smell with an almost leather quality to it. As it drys down it begins to smell like a mixture of lemon and vanilla. I would say this is a good fragrance for everyday wear but would also work well on a date to the cinema.

The projection on this fragrance is quite good and so is the longevity and most of all it smells good.

My score: Projection 8.5/10
    longevity 8.5/10
    fragrance 8.5/10

08 January, 2012

martinijo's avatar

England England

I don't really like the idea of this, a modern generic safe scent but in the end it just smells too good to give it anything but the thumbs up. Once it settles it blends perfectly and feels like I have the just the best smelling skin. Lasts pretty well, though I am not sure about the projection..

28 December, 2011

raistakilhara's avatar

This one will be kept by me to the rest of my life , its simply outstanding , it projects well and lasts for about 12 h on me , worth buying .
    Much better than le male :)

25 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2011)

BigBen's avatar

I get a lemony smell to begin; which seems to quickly fade and turns into a spicy/woody smell with a tonka bean base.

I am new to fragrances but this is my signature thus far. I love the warmth that this fragrance seems to have. Ive recieved many compliments on it.

I like that it is not over-powering; a fragrance you get close to smell. I like wearing it at day or night!

04 April, 2011

Coccodrillo's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Hey friends! I’m eager to familiarize you with the Don Juan of the third millennium. Yes, You’ve guessed correctly, Don Juan! Or in other words: Don Giò.
    Richard Strauss with his symphonic poems, such as Don Juan and Also sprach Zarathustra, always interpreting images unrivaled master narrative to the notes of music remained, so that the listener can be a brief knowledge of the subject with a story, listen to music simultaneously, the whole story to decode. Antoine Lie and Antoine Maisondieu as the creators “Don Giò”, have to endeavor and misleading nature of Don Juan felt the best way to transport fans to give this “sexy” fragrance and have achieved remarkable success indeed.

Both Antoine, alternative sentences are Richard Strauss (I mean not in the music world, do not misunderstand!), means that sniff it, I felt nature of Don Juan out in the world music feel.
    Smells delightful spot in front of my tobacco have become restless and I’m forced to respond do, because that greatly impressed me to. Fortunately one of the main pillars, that tobacco does seem naked and I can take full advantage of this fragrance.
    Add: The role that tobacco plays, subtle and no account is offered must say that the few fragrances that are part of one of its main pillars of tobacco, but the damage to the structure and such a there are thought to be Armani Code, a clever policy to advance its aims is applied.

Armani Code not a lot of complexity for the semi-professionals as well as the material is evident: creamy/powdery lemon, plus references to the peppers, and tobacco, which finally is fully enclosed and as I said, the main element forms.
    Perhaps one aspect, compared with Thierry Mugler’s A*Men: These both are also great lovers and that some of these hate... Frankly: “Love/Hate” and the interesting smells that are characteristic of the stars of this love, because “being special” in this kind of smells can I find.

Fashionable bottle and dingy that, increasingly esoteric beauty of it is added to the bottle, there is distortion and it basically asymmetrical shape and aesthetic aspects for those who deal with graphics and industrial design, with beauty much further. With the review and focus on it and honestly I have a hard time the focus has been, dare I can admit that no annoying thing it did in every respect and is able to satisfy me, but at the
    same time, those who do not like it right and I accept that the aspects that have to some pleasant and not understandable, and in fact, the prestige not understand it all (primarily am interested in things that are challenging and the challenge, I welcome anything!)

Reached the last part. If I’m going to do divination is black, the black ones word as prefix or suffix to spare are likely to Armani Code will come out of the list. The choice is optional on the accuracy of any fat if it is not seen in a very measured and reasonable, and expressed no luck at all! The fact that this noble, kind of all pulled the Black and Double Black is so well! This along with my sincere, “in addition to conventional features
    Black” literally, and excelled as role models sexy scent (at least for me) and this feature is at times, may also be causing problems. Before wearing Don Giò, be sure to tell your partner!

03 April, 2011

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A wonderful scent. A creamy lemon, chocolate and tonka bean confection with an overlaying layer of spice that unfortunately for all involved, doesn't last beyond a couple of hours, which is very disappointing given how nicely blended Code is. Code is a masterpiece of blending contrasting and complimentary elements and putting them into one incredibly unique and timeless scent.
    Full-bodied, creamy and delicious, Code is one for the ages, even if it falls short in longevity and is a bit too heavy on the wallet with an inflated MSRP. Hated simply for its own dramatic success as one of the most purchased fragrances on the market, this is a commercial success for a reason, it is classy and understated enough to accompany a formal event and fruity enough to be an everyday spritzer. Code is the essence of department store fodder for the masses but it has a timeless element to it that should bode well for it compared to its contemporaries thirty years down the line.
    Code wears somewhat close to the skin, but its ingredients allow it to stretch out a bit and it does go through several phases of development, at least three during its brief lifespan. But given what else is out there and how few scents ever manage to hit it out of the park like this, I can overlook the standard Armani negatives as far as its lack of longevity and its high price tag and give it a proper thumbs up for invention and class alone.

19 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2011)