Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Jasonk931's avatar

Normally I am not given to these type of fragrances. however, after years of well....LIFE, time and maturity has prawn my nose in different diirections. i remember when this first came out, everyone wreaked of this stuff. if you lit a match in a night club, it would have exploded instantaneously! Armanishima!
    Recently I revisited this fragrance....tadaaaaaaa! not just liking it, but LOVING IT! the strange part? it's spring right now!!! the opening of citrus is so refreshing on a spring morning when it's still cool outside, but beginning to warm. the fragrance follows this season well. the middle notes of floral bring a soft warmth, and then the base notes kick in with the guiac wood and the tonka bean like a woody campfire evening wrapped up by a good dessert (Tonka Bean). Albeit, when the temps get too hot, this one will knot work for me. I don't enjoy a gourmand-esque type ending to my fragrance in the summer. Give me crisp, green, icy, and dirty patchouli like fragrances then and I am a happy man. peace and cheers all.

27th March, 2012

Osi1s's avatar

Blast of lemon/freshness that mellows down to a subtle leathery musk and yet still smells quite fresh after hours. There's no denying the silage and longevity of this bad boy and it does earn its share of compliments from the office to a date for a safe scent.

Negative would have to be its an exceptionally common fragrance.

26th March, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

The thing about Armani Code is that it's extremely sexy but rather difficult to describe. It's not spicy like most masculine scents, for example, YSL's Opium for Men or CK's Obsession for Men.

In some ways it's a clean and soapy interpretation of a spicy scent with a touch of citrus and leather. There is such an aura of confidence and elegance surrounding this fragrance, making it rather formal in a way, like something you'd perhaps wear with a traditional tux.

The olive blossom is a wonderfully unique additive to the composition, bringing with it an interesting saltiness which is quite alluring on the skin.

There is a powdery like aspect to this fragrance that tends to develop more towards the drydown. Do not fear, it's a masculine powderiness, nothing like sweet, flowery baby powder or anything like that.

Refined and somewhat formal, yet easily transferred into day-wear, Armani Code is probably one of the nicest Giorgio Armani scents I've tried. It's successful in being simplistic and not too over-the-top or too edgy. The longevity and the projection is good which is an added bonus of course. I recommend this fragrance for formal wear, cold weather and those fashion-conscious men.

24th March, 2012

lotsomelow16's avatar

Love this fragrance, had so many compliments on it! I've read alot of reviews, and many people are saying that the longevity on this fragrance is poor. This is not true! Give it 1-2 hours to really kick in. The dry down is subtle, and sometimes it isnt. It's as if the colder the environment, the more silage power it has.

Longevity - 9
    Projection - 8
    Season best in - Fall/Winter
    Overall - 9/10

22nd February, 2012

Capone's avatar

armani code is a nice powdery tobaccoey leather concoction with a touch of guiiac woods and tonka bean that really has a lot of appeal with the younger crowd

kinda sweet and youthful and recommended if u want a nice date night scent

22nd February, 2012

smellzgood's avatar

The lemon and bergamot opening is accurate and starts off somewhat nicely. The dry down, however, is less desireable: the result is a pungent, peppery amalgam with a slight bitter citrus note blended in. Even when applied moderately, it burns the nostrils. I don't like this one much but I wear it because I have a bottle lying around. I did receive a compliment on this scent today from a woman at my office. Apparently she really likes it. The projection must be adequate. I would not buy this one again. As a side note, longevity is now at 5 and a half hours and still going.

12th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 13th January, 2012)

The Israelite's avatar

I got this fragrance as a gift and I must say I really like it.
    To me it has a musky lemon smell with an almost leather quality to it. As it drys down it begins to smell like a mixture of lemon and vanilla. I would say this is a good fragrance for everyday wear but would also work well on a date to the cinema.

The projection on this fragrance is quite good and so is the longevity and most of all it smells good.

My score: Projection 8.5/10
    longevity 8.5/10
    fragrance 8.5/10

08th January, 2012

martinijo's avatar

England England

I don't really like the idea of this, a modern generic safe scent but in the end it just smells too good to give it anything but the thumbs up. Once it settles it blends perfectly and feels like I have the just the best smelling skin. Lasts pretty well, though I am not sure about the projection..

28th December, 2011

tintin's avatar

Armani Code to me smells like a mixture of bitter orange and powder.

What i hated about it is that it has a below average projection and lasts on my skin for 3 hrs max and on my shirt for 6 hrs+ dats all.

Not worthy of a thumbsup from my side.

01st December, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th December, 2011)

dollars&scents's avatar

Armani Code/Black Code by Giorgio Armani - The opening is a citrusy duet of lemon and bergamot. The heart insinuates nicely, adding hints of sweetness, spice and floral, from its star anise and olive tree blossom components. Strengthening, this stirring middle adds a more pronounced powdery sweet flavor, and a faint, smoky chocolate note. The enchanting base, with its tonka bean and guiac wood, overtakes the fragrance, kidnapping the light floral, and adds a creaminess and aridness, as well as a light smokiness, to its comforting drydown. This robust composition is an all-season and sensual scent. Regrettably, its longevity and projection leave much to be desired.

18th November, 2011

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a dark, masculine and sexy fragrance.
    Most of the girls will die for this type of scent!lol
    At the opening there is a pleasant note of lemon which is dark because of the tobacco and leather notes and also some sweetness. the tobacco and lemon is much more intense to my nose .
    After that, in the dry down the smell change a bit and sweet and powdery smell comes in with tobacco and leather and some floral notes.
    Be honest with you, the powdery smell is cloying sometimes and I do recommend that don't spray too much on your neck! I think It's better to do one spray on your chest, one on your neck and two on your wrists.
    The projection with this fragrance is great but longevity sucks!
    For the first 2 hours this fragrance jump off like crazy from my skin but after that become skin scent and after 3 hours it's gone! too pity!

18th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2012)

wardamoose's avatar

This is a very distinct scent in my opinion. I can pick it out of a room of people--it really makes a scent memory. I really don't like this fragrance, it is robust and overly offensive to my senses. The only way i can describe it is as thick. When I first smelled it, it felt like i was drinking it-- i could feel it in my throat as it lingered. It reminds me of a sweet Schnapps mixed with eggnog. not my kind of scent.

22nd August, 2011

yoyo's avatar

Indescribably ordinary. It smells like the scent of hundreds other guys. If you want to stand out don't buy this. However it doesn't smell bad and you probably won't offend anyone.

15th July, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

Smelling this again for the first time in years, I seem to remember it being better. It opens with a vague powdery wood like Burberry Brit, but it's spicier and less floral. There's a little bit of anise, but I can deal with it (for now), and just a bit of fruit hiding in the background. The suspense is agonizing: I'm waiting for something to happen, but I'm afraid this quiet scent is just going to keep getting quieter. It does get more rubbery, though, like you added a dash of Bulgari Black to a mix of Dunhill 2003 and Azzaro. The base smooths out a bit, losing some of the fruity and powdery edge but at the expense of most of its distinguishing features. In the end, all that's left is the standard sweet licorice-powder and fruity shampoo-wood that a lot of men's designer orientals devolve into these days. Still, I might consider it as an alternative to the similar scent but mind-melting strength of Opium PH.

26th June, 2011

raistakilhara's avatar

This one will be kept by me to the rest of my life , its simply outstanding , it projects well and lasts for about 12 h on me , worth buying .
    Much better than le male :)

25th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th June, 2011)

Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff's avatar

Starts of with a little citrus then quickly turns into a tonka (baby powder) scent. I did see a study that said baby powder was one of the smells women respond to the most so maybe they were goin for that. Powdery scents arent always a turnoff for me as I love Le Male but this does not smell anything like the powdery vanilla scent of Le Male. Longevity is average at about 4-5 hours and it projects decently too. Certainly overpriced for the quality IMO. Just not my cup of tea.

04th May, 2011

wannabe connoisseur's avatar

One sniff and a sharp lemon begins to register, which softens into a soft spice almost immediately (within minutes). Not an hour later and it retains the spice in the form of vanilla; quickly becoming a subtle lotion of a smell instead of an EdT. It seems to be rather popular and a commercial success despite being very shortlived and conservative.
    A good point is that I do get many compliments from the ladies when I wear this, although I can't see many redeeming qualities myself.

Could be useful for a night out, but it has a quality and character that can't be worn everyday without becoming too bland or dull.

14th April, 2011

Jridgen's avatar

Here are my two cents. Armani code was one of my first fragrance purchases (Coaxed strongly from girlfriend). That I would describe as the gist of the fragrance: women do seem to like it quite a bit. For me it tends to get a bit boring and linear.

Midnight in Paris does the same thing but blows this away. Not purchase worthy IMO.

09th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 08th November, 2012)

Actionmac's avatar

This stuff reminds me of Curve... and curve smells like the guy that is wearing two day old under arm sweaty gym shirt. Really foul stuff, sickening foul. I can't even be near this stuff...

07th April, 2011

BigBen's avatar

I get a lemony smell to begin; which seems to quickly fade and turns into a spicy/woody smell with a tonka bean base.

I am new to fragrances but this is my signature thus far. I love the warmth that this fragrance seems to have. Ive recieved many compliments on it.

I like that it is not over-powering; a fragrance you get close to smell. I like wearing it at day or night!

04th April, 2011

Coccodrillo's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Hey friends! I’m eager to familiarize you with the Don Juan of the third millennium. Yes, You’ve guessed correctly, Don Juan! Or in other words: Don Giò.
    Richard Strauss with his symphonic poems, such as Don Juan and Also sprach Zarathustra, always interpreting images unrivaled master narrative to the notes of music remained, so that the listener can be a brief knowledge of the subject with a story, listen to music simultaneously, the whole story to decode. Antoine Lie and Antoine Maisondieu as the creators “Don Giò”, have to endeavor and misleading nature of Don Juan felt the best way to transport fans to give this “sexy” fragrance and have achieved remarkable success indeed.

Both Antoine, alternative sentences are Richard Strauss (I mean not in the music world, do not misunderstand!), means that sniff it, I felt nature of Don Juan out in the world music feel.
    Smells delightful spot in front of my tobacco have become restless and I’m forced to respond do, because that greatly impressed me to. Fortunately one of the main pillars, that tobacco does seem naked and I can take full advantage of this fragrance.
    Add: The role that tobacco plays, subtle and no account is offered must say that the few fragrances that are part of one of its main pillars of tobacco, but the damage to the structure and such a there are thought to be Armani Code, a clever policy to advance its aims is applied.

Armani Code not a lot of complexity for the semi-professionals as well as the material is evident: creamy/powdery lemon, plus references to the peppers, and tobacco, which finally is fully enclosed and as I said, the main element forms.
    Perhaps one aspect, compared with Thierry Mugler’s A*Men: These both are also great lovers and that some of these hate... Frankly: “Love/Hate” and the interesting smells that are characteristic of the stars of this love, because “being special” in this kind of smells can I find.

Fashionable bottle and dingy that, increasingly esoteric beauty of it is added to the bottle, there is distortion and it basically asymmetrical shape and aesthetic aspects for those who deal with graphics and industrial design, with beauty much further. With the review and focus on it and honestly I have a hard time the focus has been, dare I can admit that no annoying thing it did in every respect and is able to satisfy me, but at the
    same time, those who do not like it right and I accept that the aspects that have to some pleasant and not understandable, and in fact, the prestige not understand it all (primarily am interested in things that are challenging and the challenge, I welcome anything!)

Reached the last part. If I’m going to do divination is black, the black ones word as prefix or suffix to spare are likely to Armani Code will come out of the list. The choice is optional on the accuracy of any fat if it is not seen in a very measured and reasonable, and expressed no luck at all! The fact that this noble, kind of all pulled the Black and Double Black is so well! This along with my sincere, “in addition to conventional features
    Black” literally, and excelled as role models sexy scent (at least for me) and this feature is at times, may also be causing problems. Before wearing Don Giò, be sure to tell your partner!

03rd April, 2011

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A wonderful scent. A creamy lemon, chocolate and tonka bean confection with an overlaying layer of spice that unfortunately for all involved, doesn't last beyond a couple of hours, which is very disappointing given how nicely blended Code is. Code is a masterpiece of blending contrasting and complimentary elements and putting them into one incredibly unique and timeless scent.
    Full-bodied, creamy and delicious, Code is one for the ages, even if it falls short in longevity and is a bit too heavy on the wallet with an inflated MSRP. Hated simply for its own dramatic success as one of the most purchased fragrances on the market, this is a commercial success for a reason, it is classy and understated enough to accompany a formal event and fruity enough to be an everyday spritzer. Code is the essence of department store fodder for the masses but it has a timeless element to it that should bode well for it compared to its contemporaries thirty years down the line.
    Code wears somewhat close to the skin, but its ingredients allow it to stretch out a bit and it does go through several phases of development, at least three during its brief lifespan. But given what else is out there and how few scents ever manage to hit it out of the park like this, I can overlook the standard Armani negatives as far as its lack of longevity and its high price tag and give it a proper thumbs up for invention and class alone.

19th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th April, 2011)

sniffer64's avatar

I got a sample of this from The Perfumed Court. I wore it for 8 days straight. My primary comment is that AC is extremely weak. Even when I applied it heavily, I could barely smell it, and within an hour or two it was undetectable, even with my nose pressed to my skin. What fragrance there WAS was okay, but even a great fragrance that fades this fast would be unsatisfactory. A real shame, because I wanted to like this.

09th March, 2011

ital's avatar

One of the best there is. Strong, elegant, deep. Armani is Armani.

22nd February, 2011

silentrich's avatar

Very popular fragrance that is hard not to like. There's really nothing outstanding with the notes, but the overall composition is just pleasing to the nose. Is a very versatile fragrance and can be worn for a lot of different occasions. The one negative is the price. If you can find it for half off or more it's a good buy.

19th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd January, 2013)

Skorpjon's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Armani brand alongside the best brands like: Pehaligon's, Comme des Garçons, Byredo and Cartier has a place and the reason is that I will try to make progress is their previous work.

Antoine Lie (one of the creators Armani Code) productive this masterpiece, another of my favorites is also created: 8 88... overall I like the scent that he has made (Paul Smith London If you're apart)
    Most girls are in love with the smell of them so I say how much the perfume is great and my favorite reason is that they smell very sexy and stylish and of course your opponent is drunk and confused.

I love the smell of smoke and plenty of fun to me with the hint of tobacco will be felt, but remember that not indulge in its use as may be causing headaches.
    If you follow these tips, be sure you will have a unique scent.

15th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 24th February, 2011)

willyt's avatar

Armani Code is one of the best cologne I won. Don't get me wrong this thing last like 24 hours plus. If I virtually don't take a shower this would last me 2 days or more, after 2 showers I can still smell this on my skin OMG, it's that good I love it :)

20th January, 2011

RYU's avatar

armani code is nice smell..but it is really quickly dissappearing of my skin..code is not strong fragrance..

and yo can not feeling this perfume..sorry code but more important for me to be strong perfume

15th January, 2011

odysseusm's avatar

Tiresomely sweet and monolithic.
    Vaguely aromatic, somewhat metallic, noisily synthetic and verging on the garish.
    No wood notes that I can detect.
    Nope. Can't find anything to commend here.

12th January, 2011

SirScent's avatar

An Excellent Fragrance and an instant classic.

I avoided this one for years.
    The sample would drop out of almost every magazine I was reading.
    It was consumer overkill and I wanted no part.
    But I finally purchased a small bottle and was pleasantly surprised at it's masculinity and classiness.
    Great longevity and good projection.
    There's a similarity to me to Chanel's Antaeus.
    Highly Recommended.