Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

MrFragranceReview's avatar

At first it doesn't seem like a "black fragrance". It's slightly sweet and has a very distinctive note to it. But the more I wore it the more I liked it. It's a very good going out scent and gets plenty of compliments. It's quite citrusy for an evening fragrance but, it's easily summed up.
    It's very pleasant and begins with a zing of lemony citrus over a slightly powdery note, tonka bean, subtle florals and guiac wood. I can't see many people not liking this which is a good or bad thing depending on your stance is regarding that. It gets less citrusy as it dies down yet doesn't really chance much.

While the fragrance is universally liked and lasts a decent while and projects well, I only find it above average and it gets a bit boring after a while.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2011)

chamelion's avatar

best of the armani fragrances IMO when i wear this it has the most amazing blend of tobacco, guiac wood and tonka beans and the drydown is similar to gucci although this stuff is just as good as any of those and women absolutely go CRAZY over this stuff.

it may smell a bit refined but its perfect for day wear and i reserve scents like le male, A'men, escada magnetism and lolita lempicka for clubbing but this is a great smelling scent that can be really worn on any occasion

28 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

bpavilla's avatar

Defiantly a solid scent. Not overly sophisticated but far from generic. This scent isn't overly strong but still seems to last a good deal longer than some more inexpensive scents which makes it worth the while. There are a few surprises as this fades away and at no point do I feel like I'm left with an unattractive "after-smell" that I find with some other orientals. It doesn't offer anything dramatically new that I haven't found before, and doesn't agree with everyone, but none the less is a solid, classy and overall attractive cologne. Thumbs up, 4/5.

26 August, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

With bergamot and lemon in the top notes, you'd expect it to smell like every other male frag in today's market. Yet it doesn't, at least not until the copycats gear into production. There is a certain powdery sweet-woodsy element that gives an unusual twist to Armani's usual citrusy offerings. Attributable to the olive flower + guiac wood perhaps?

Despite its rather inflated price, Armani Code remains a bestseller. No prizes for guessing who's laughing their way to the bank.

24 August, 2009

jbr's avatar

Anise. Urgh. This note and I just do not agree, and it's pretty much all I get from this fragrance until the drydown sets in. And I do actually find the drydown to be quite pleasant, with some smoky coffee and subtle chocolate notes lending it a slightly gourmand-ish feel. The anise overload in the beginning is just way too much for me to bear. Not for me.

18 August, 2009

Lamp's avatar

Armani Code is a very nice scent. I like how it is masculine without out being imposing, which to me this is the true mark of a classy male fragrance. I do like the dry down better than the opening and I agree with others that the tonka bean is defiantly the dominate note.

I also love the bottle, very cool.

09 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2010)

hcr's avatar

One of my favs, so I'm biased... This cologne just has one particular note that sticks out, lasts long, and smells great. Perfect scent for anytime, last a good 6-8 hours on one spray which always makes me happy, and something I require from a frag. Always keep a bottle of this around.. Similar to A Men to me, somewhat, would consider this A Men light maybe, if you like that scent but find it too strong, you could go with this easily, more wearable and less "offensive" if you're thinking about that..

30th July, 2009

ravishing_raza's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

I have been hearing about this black perfume for long time and 2 days ago i have decided to give it try. opening notes didn't attract me much in fact i couldn't make any judgment because it seemed too faint but after half an hour it turned out to totally different then what i have expected. middle and end notes feel sweet and powdery but not too much. its some thing in between of today's Aquas and masculine evening wear. one of best fragrance for office wear. not offending yet able to make your mark.

24 July, 2009

byblos808's avatar

the similarity between this and YSL's la nuit de l'homme is uncanny, so much so that the same review more or less fits both. warmth, subtle sweetness, sensuality and a hint of freshness are all combined into a very pleasant concoction that is unlikely to offend anyone. very nice, though possibly undistinguished if not exactly bland.

22 July, 2009

oeonologist's avatar

The gals dig it so I dig it. I'm more of a vetiver type of guy but the creamy, smoky anise quality of Code is fairly novel. It is a solid scent that doesn't take chances. It is a safe bet.

01st July, 2009

Vladdypwnz's avatar

I thought this one would be a tad of a letdown after what I've read, but actually, it's pretty good. It's straightforward, but there's something special about it.

24 June, 2009

seanestcontent's avatar

This was the first fragrance I owned. I still have half of the bottle remaining. I used to really enjoy it, but I think it was because I had nothing to compare it to, since I was only a novice fragrance sampler. It is definitely a spicy scent, but I agree with others in saying that it smells synthetic. When I smell this, I imagine a questionable club scene with the usual skeevy club characters. Whenever I wear this cologne, I'm usually headed into the direction of that club scene. Since I continue to wear this, although rarely (compared with my other fragrances), I guess it can't be that bad. I think though, that there are many more fragrances of better quality on the market.

16 June, 2009

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

This could be seen as my first "major purchase" bottle. In 2004 when this first came out it was still pretty expensive being about £45 GBP for a 50ml bottle. I was in a store and was asked if I'd like to try the new Giorgio Armani scent called Black Code. I had been a fan of all 3 Emporio Armani fragrances released up to this time (He, He White and He Night) and had invested serious money in them over the years having owned at least 2 FB's of each one. My only experience with Giorgio Armani fragrances was Acqua Di Gio which I didnt like much as it reminded me of 18 year old boys with too much testosterone hitting on any female with a pulse. However I had been sold on the "this is a much darker fragrance" thing. I tried some on a tester and went for a walk for a while.

I really loved this scent so went and bought a bottle............. my first major schoolboy error. I got home and put some on and I liked it for a bit then it just went rancid on my skin. I persisted for a few weeks with it and nothing. It just kept disagreeing with me. I ended up giving it to my brother who has since gone on to buy his own bottles of this and still to this day wears what is now simply called Code.

I like the smell of it on him but we have totally differing skin types and as much as it smells nice on him, its not for me. Another case of try before you buy.

16 June, 2009

shehbaz's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Best fragrance ever smelled! Nothing compares to it. A bit expensive though. Wish it to be a bit more strong, but still very very nice and perfectly balanced. A fragrance for humanity.

06 June, 2009

Cougartown's avatar

It smells like the bottle looks. Sleek, formal, dark, and elegant. It really a nice frag, with an VERY strong tonka bean presence. Makes you want to wear a suit to a nice dinner in some trendy Chinese restraint (sorry about the rant). I'm surprised lemon was mentioned in the hit list. It smells too sweet for that. Either way, its a great fragrance and seems to last. I only give it a neutral because its not my style, at least right now. Well made though

05 June, 2009

Jack's avatar

Big thums up. There are so many great scents out there and this is one. To me it doesn't have an edge, a scent eveyone can like. I like the smell of tonka tonka tonka so it fits me well.

05 June, 2009

MadameP's avatar

Confident, enduring, the essence of virility. This scent combines the traditional musk of men's cologne with the earthy bloom of a Yankee's Candle. It exudes success in the world and in the home. Scientifically formulated to make other men cower in your cocksure emanation. Women will be unwittingly attracted to the intangible Armani label.

27 May, 2009

ThrowingShade's avatar

Nothing special here. With so many colognes out there today (and more every year) is it getting harder for some houses to deliver a special scent? I was hoping for something to grab me with this scent but alas, this is not the case. Most like it, as do I. But, I tend to pass this over when I go for my daily spritz. Will you?

27 May, 2009

Merbert's avatar

Other than the nice tarragon/anise middle note, Armani Code is rather ordinary. There is an attempt a peppery opening but it is very synthetic feeling. The middle notes are fleeting, barely minutes, when tonka, tonka, and more tonka take over as the base, saved from being single-dimensional by the woodiness of guaic.

24 May, 2009

Dr. Smellgood's avatar

Armani Code is a very nice fragrance. It's a burst of lemon and spices at first spritz. THen as it mellows out the tonka bean flows through. Women love the scent. It's a very addictive scent that will make you keep smelling your wrists!!! A compliment getter but I can't say so for myself!!

11th May, 2009

wilddoc's avatar

There is no sophistication and no subtlety at all in this scent. It smells far too ordinary and it's just too strong. If you are passing someone its OK. You wouldnt wear this into an office. After 2 hours you colleagues would want a break from you. I was presented with one, and I tried to like it, but just didn't succeed. In the end I gave it to a younger person who was very pleased with it. The person who presented me with it must have thought Armani is a more mature brand. Yes, maybe but this fragrance is not.

10th May, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A classy, discreet comfort scent of some distinction. This modern scent well deserves its popularity.

08 May, 2009

arabhammerhead's avatar

Very sharp and the alcohol is a bit overpowering when you first spray it on. I smell lemon, and then more complex woody fragrances develop.

07 May, 2009

dz23151's avatar

overall its very good it is a dark sexy fragrance and it lasts a long time so you dont have to worry about that its dark but not strong.
    go out and buy it or at least try it.

04 May, 2009

MFJ's avatar

A decent smokey oriental that is likely to be easily popular with most people. Longevity, the lack of, is a huge issue for me.

05 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)

pLaTypu5's avatar

Love it. Works with my body chemistry incredibly well. The tonka bean blends very well with the guiac, and the bergamot and lemon combination is instantly recognizable. Always getting complimented on this.

Keep it for the night, though. Definitely not for daytime.

01st April, 2009

lex's avatar

olive flower must be what i smell that stands out and makes this slightly different. not much excitement though

15 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 June, 2009)

DolceBanana's avatar

Bought 100ml of this and loved it. Then got 50ml for a birthday present. Very sexy fragrance the women love. Always kept the 50ml in my car to re-apply, the smell never went bad even after 3 months in my centre console.
    Just got 100ml of By by Dolce Gabbana, smells very similar, must be the guiac wood note. Because By is a classic fragrance and very expensive, i'm definately buying Black code when my By runs out. This is Great Shtuff!

12 March, 2009

Andyman's avatar

Fresh, warm, seductive—there is just something special about Armani Code; so special, in fact, that this became my second signature fragrance (the first one being Joop! Homme). Elegant and classy (and not just the smell; the bottle is very stylish too), this is, in my opinion, the best Armani men's fragrance ever and a masterpiece among men's fragrances in general.

Although I have had reservations about paying the high price any Giorgio Armani fragrance attracts, not so Code; it is worth every cent.

03 March, 2009

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

It is good. I was expecting much much more. But it is good. Oriental, spicy, not atrocious. Nothing spectacular. Will have it one day, but it's just not high on my list right now.

27 February, 2009