Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Nihilist's avatar
    Nihilist

interesting fragrance. i was worried it was going to smell like play-doh on me, but thats not the case. i own it, and i intend on buying it again. this and polo double black are some of the best cheaper variety black scents out there.

01st February, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Despite my rather diabetic palate, I actually found this to be pretty good. It is undoubtedly a little too sweet for me to embrace this wholeheartedly, but this a well polished ride to the base notes. This appears to have quite a spartan arcitecture, and I think it benefits from this simplicity. Fewer moving parts means less to go wrong. The single ingredient in the mid notes gives it a great deal of stability, and the Olive Flower is an interesting choice. This is a solid package to take to a smart casual gathering.

28 January, 2009

jovanbell's avatar
    jovanbell

Actuall the only Armani scent I like right now. Smells linear, but not to connotate it with smelling bad. Definately not a high-school kids cologne. Scent-wise, for 'my' liking, its not my favorite. It is leathery subtly-sharps-spicy scent. Works very well with night-time attire, or go figure...... black (dark) clothing. Very much an evening wear.
    But some how, women around here LOVE it. So I guess I cant complain about it too much.
    Its a definite buy.

24 January, 2009

yankeeh8er847's avatar
    yankeeh8er847

I agree with BIGNO. i really wanted to like this scent and i tried. but i don't understand why any girls would be so turned on by this. it reminds me of Angel Men which i also tried to like. what i can say is that it smells like a weird take on chocolate. it's not grotesque or anything, but it's not appealing to me at all. it's sweet and the chocolate smells powdery with something that i can't put my finger on. maybe bad lemons. the initial top notes were nice, but i absolutely resent the drydown, which came in about 10 minutes for me. Guess i'm just not a sweet chocolate guy. it's interesting, but not worth anything more than a sample to me

24 January, 2009

's avatar

I wanted so badly to like this fragrance. It got such incredible feedback that I couldn't wait to try it. I went to the store and sprayed it on my wrist and my girlfriends to compare the chemistry and the ending result was the same. It was a complete disaster! I couldn't wear it for any longer than 2 hours. It made me sick.

To me this smells extremely similar to Burberry Touch and 212SexyMen. Both fragrances which I despise with a un-describable passion. They smell like fecal matter to me (honestly). When I smell this fragrance, it grosses me out and I just wanna dive in a pool of soapy water, pronto and begin scrubbing.

If you like the smell of burnt chocolate with a hint of baby diaper, I recommend this. If you like gourmand overload, this is for you.

20th January, 2009

Simply great !!

19 January, 2009

Scentaur's avatar
    Scentaur

I never had a cologne that got so many compliments this fast, until I bought Armani Code. Honestly, I can't figure how they came up with a scent that just pleases girls... I mean, that's pure science.

Absolute thumbs up!

18 January, 2009

GI291976's avatar
    GI291976

Armani Code is a great nighttime scent for me!! It is an elegant and contemporary scent to wear. It is soft and powdery, yet has an edgy dry down as well!! Seductive, mysterious and warm describes the scent to me

04 January, 2009

WOODBINE's avatar
    WOODBINE

Armani Code.I received a bottle from my daughter for xmas,I think she heard me speaking about it.I have heard so much good things about it and I wasn't dissapointed.Dark,warm,mysterious,sexy,these words have already been used to describe this scent and I totally agree.I love it.

28 December, 2008

SexPanther's avatar
    SexPanther

Great Cologne I've been wanting this one for awhile but never bought it cause its way too popular, but for Christmas I got 2 bottles go figure. This cologne smells great and last allllllllll day so be ready to make a commitment when spraying. My girlfriend said it smells like Bvlgari black but its much stronger than Bvlgari. I'd say everyone must own this one cause the ladies love it so much.

25 December, 2008

LiveJazz's avatar
    LiveJazz

I friend of mine once owned this. I now have a sample. I must say that I like it. It's one of those scents where you can complain all you like about how its linear, it isn't terribly unexpected, it doesn't have a standout ingredient, etc. But...it smells great. Wonderful. You have to give it that. It doesn't last long and it doesn't have astounding projection, but while its there, it is outstanding. Nose glued to wrist.

I don't hold its lack of complexity against Armani. This is a designer scent. It is meant to smell great and appeal to the masses. It does both of those things, and manages not to make a mockery of itself in the process. I say bravo to Armani on this one!

17 December, 2008

Vicque's avatar
    Vicque

Very nice smell, but boring, no personality in it... it doesn't last long either.

06 November, 2008

gmm150's avatar
    gmm150

I like lemon, tonka bean, and bergamot but something in this fragrance is smells weird and bad. I believe this is a real popular and top seller at the stores. I don't know why. I had to wash it off it was so bad.

06 November, 2008

drummerboy20's avatar
    drummerboy20

When I smelled this a few years ago I thought, Ehh, not quite, but smelled again when my roomate on a cruise sprayed it on, I thought, "Man!!...What's that, he told me and I asked where'd he buy it, and said I could buy it at the shop where they were selling jewlery, watches, and Tuxedos for rental. I missed out cause somebody bought the last one. But when I got back to ATL, I bought quite a few I had on my list, including this one...............NICE!!!!!!!!

24 October, 2008

scentofascent's avatar
    scentofascent

It smells like perfume. Is this wrong ? For me yes...
    It has no character, very very synthetic.
    Opening is very bad, i mean i truly hate it.
    When it settles down it becomes a "just okey" scent

22 October, 2008

brianroy's avatar
    brianroy
    Colombia Colombia

This is a marvelous scent. I tried it for the first time in 2005 and fell in love instantly. It was my signature scent for 3 years, and I bought this 5 times in a row. Even now i'm wearing scents that are very similar to Code. Its dark and warm, mysterious and very sexy and attractive. Kind of powdery but I like that.

14 October, 2008

ausamamira's avatar
    ausamamira
    Jordan Jordan

It is a very good fragrance that smells great and lasts for a considerable time ...but i think it has a problem with the sillage !!!!

29 September, 2008

SatinMaster's avatar
    SatinMaster

Not what I was gunning for. When I sampled it in a magazine I thought, "wow, I gotta get it". Now I let my nephew wear it when he visits. The scent kinda wears off of me after a few hours. Maybe it's due to the humidity here in Atlanta and my heavy sweating that has an effect. It has a fresh kick in the first hour or two, but I desire more stamina.

27 September, 2008

Havok's avatar
    Havok

Lasts a long time and I love the Tonka smell. However, when I wore this on one hand and Lolita Lempicka on the other, the choice was clear, and I sold this.

24 September, 2008

Mike's avatar
    Mike

What a sensual, unique beauty this fragrance possesses! Easily my second favorite Armani offering, right behind the original Eau Pour Homme (1984). The olive flower note is very calming, and merges deftly with the woody base notes. It is a departure from Armani's previous offerings (particularly the Emporio Armani fragrances) as it is classified as a woody-oriental, but this is in no way a bad thing. Wearing this, one can expect to receive many compliments indeed. Longevity is quite strong for me; 3 or 4 sprays last close to 12 hours! Also, some reviewers have expressed that this fragrance is more of a formal evening scent, but I find it versatile enough to wear in any occasion!!

14 September, 2008

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

This is a terribly pleasant fragrance, with a citrus and anise opening that moves toward a tonka close. There also seems to be a sweet powdery thing going on. The whole thing just oozes class.

I'm not exactly sure when the right time to wear this would be, as I haven't analyzed it past the sample and to be honest, I haven't even given it much thought. The reason is because I could never buy this. Armani has become the go-to designer recently, and I'm searching high and low for either niche fragrances or "sleeper" fragrances in an effort to stay unique.

If Creed, Malle, or Montale made this I'm sure I'd already have a bottle...
    this fact alone makes me feel like a crazy person in need of professional help.

01st September, 2008

andyman32's avatar
    andyman32

A nice, intensely elegant musk with very formal and somewhat powdery dry-down hinting at vanilla, citrus rind, black tea. It is of medium sweetness. Limited silage and medium endurance.

31st August, 2008

JonB's avatar
    JonB

Unlikely to offend anyone. Light woodsy. Pretty simple. A bit synthetic smelling. A bit sweet and boring. Won't buy it again.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2008)

Shaheen's avatar
    Shaheen

A sweet oriental with a dark, smokey tonka bean base with citrusy top notes and a dash of floral (olive flower) in the heart. Not a bad fragrance. Can become overly powdery and cloying if applied too liberally.

14 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

Adeel499's avatar
    Adeel499
    Pakistan Pakistan

Oh I love this beauty. Sweet floral opening with citrus notes and base notes are a wonderful blend of spices. Infact its spicy base notes make me warm and lay a soothing effect on me. Although its longevity is good but has low Sillage. It is very good at night times (at cool and calm places) and I use it for special occeasions....Thumbs Up for this one

04 August, 2008

distortech's avatar
    distortech

This scent reminds me of one thing - Chicago. The same goes for Mania. Everytime I am in that city I smell this EVERYWHERE and I love it, albeit, it still disturbs me. In any event, it is a very refined scent and one I particularly enjoy on others. Good for all occasions and an overall safe choice for those not wanting to shake things up more than a stir. The minty-olive notes are especially nice and the woodsy powder of the base is done rather well, but I prefer Emporio Night He over this any time, anywhere, period. Still a thumbs up.

18 July, 2008

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

it is what it is. the number 3 or 4 club scent behind JPG,ADG, and allure. very sweet but not dark. i bought 2 bottles so.........

15 July, 2008

Slick101's avatar
    Slick101

AT FIRST.. FELL IN LOVE WITH IT THE DAY IT CAME OUT... I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON IT....

AFTER A WHILE WITH COMPLIMENTS... IT BECAME BORING AFTER EVERYBODY STARTED BUYING IT

ONE WORD TO PUT THIS COLOGNE IN

'KILLED'

14 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Decent Armani; they all tend to smell synthetic and well... fake. Not very good sillage but it does smell nice. I'd say this is on the verge of a gourmand but there are no food notes. I get a hint of coffee then a powdery wood then it's all the sweetness of tonka bean. I recommend it for semi-formal evening wear.

09 June, 2008

jalexhrovat's avatar
    jalexhrovat

This fragrance and Acqua Di Gio are my two favorites of Armani. I don't wear this one as casually as AgD, but I wouldn't save this one for only formal events like most people suggest. IMO Its a good fragrance to wear almost anytime.

It has a nice spicy, elegant tone that drys down to a somewhat sweet and slightly floral finish. It is sort of an oriental fragrance, but I wouldn't say that it is a typical oriental. Its a hybrid. Event though it's technically classified as an oriental fragrance, I think of it as sort of a gourmand as well. It's pleasant in many ways.
    It is also a simple fragrance in that the drydown isn't composed of a lot of notes. I smell the lemon when I first apply it, then the olive flower lingers for around an hour or so, then the rest is the tonka and guiac. Simple...and remember that a lot of the time you just got to "keep it simple stupid."

This one lasts about 4-6 hours on my skin. Makes a good fragrance to wear to work (if you put a little on), and great to wear out to the club or formal events (put a little more on). I can pick this out of a crowd of people now, and smell it more and more wherever I go. Its getting that popularity that Armani usually gets because of AdG. Wish it wasn't so, but oh well.

05 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2009)