Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

SirSlarty's avatar

Decent Armani; they all tend to smell synthetic and well... fake. Not very good sillage but it does smell nice. I'd say this is on the verge of a gourmand but there are no food notes. I get a hint of coffee then a powdery wood then it's all the sweetness of tonka bean. I recommend it for semi-formal evening wear.

09 June, 2008

jalexhrovat's avatar

This fragrance and Acqua Di Gio are my two favorites of Armani. I don't wear this one as casually as AgD, but I wouldn't save this one for only formal events like most people suggest. IMO Its a good fragrance to wear almost anytime.

It has a nice spicy, elegant tone that drys down to a somewhat sweet and slightly floral finish. It is sort of an oriental fragrance, but I wouldn't say that it is a typical oriental. Its a hybrid. Event though it's technically classified as an oriental fragrance, I think of it as sort of a gourmand as well. It's pleasant in many ways.
    It is also a simple fragrance in that the drydown isn't composed of a lot of notes. I smell the lemon when I first apply it, then the olive flower lingers for around an hour or so, then the rest is the tonka and guiac. Simple...and remember that a lot of the time you just got to "keep it simple stupid."

This one lasts about 4-6 hours on my skin. Makes a good fragrance to wear to work (if you put a little on), and great to wear out to the club or formal events (put a little more on). I can pick this out of a crowd of people now, and smell it more and more wherever I go. Its getting that popularity that Armani usually gets because of AdG. Wish it wasn't so, but oh well.

05 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2009)

bbBD's avatar

On paper I should like this, but I not only dislike it but need to wash it off every time I give it a try. I received it as a gift so I have a full 2.5 sitting under my sink. I keep thinking I'll change my mind but alas...

Very powdery, slightly citrus opening that settles down into a powdery pepper/woods. It's at this point I need to wash off. For those who care, the sillage is ok... I can't speak to longevity.

The new Ed Hardy is very similar in opening to Code, but for whatever reason I very much enjoy it. EH develops in a more pleasant, rich, masculine manner into something I enjoy smelling on myself.

29 May, 2008

Mookie's avatar

This certainly isn't a complex fragrance.

I get the lemon and the woody dry down. It certainly smells a bit sexy, but it doesn't make me gitty. The ladies seem to like it on me. I don't enjoy it as much as them.

I can see a similarity between this and John Varvatos, but it's very minor. On me John Varvatos is all about the date note.

06 May, 2008

heythatslife's avatar

South Korea South Korea

I mean, it's okay, I had it for a while. Tvlampboy said it - better than most mainstream frags released today, but by no means groundbreaking. Especially now that I have Douce Amere, another anisic oriental but far more elegant, to compare this one with, it does feel rough around the edges - like AdG made a half-hearted attempt at becoming an oriental.

25 April, 2008

ScentSurge's avatar

A nice fresh and sophisticated scent, but didn't work so well on my skin. At first it reminded me of a Hollister cologne but only slightly. Make sure to try this one out before buying to make sure it works with your body chemistry.

22 April, 2008

sandbox4837's avatar

I'm not an expert, I just love this scent.

It's my nighttime/formal scent. It lasts very long on me.

It just smells a little strong/heavy for me to wear to work.

16 April, 2008

fusion's avatar

This is a wonderful fragrance I don't have any complaints last up to 8hrs on me gets me tons of compliments this is sure to stay in my collection with a back up in the waiting a definite thumbs up.

15 April, 2008

Stu's avatar

I smelled this and liked it on someone else and will try it on me. It was slightly spicy but since it was early morning it was probably the middle notes I was smelling which were pleasant. Sorta can't wait to see if I can wear this since I don't wear some fragrances I like on others well.

15 April, 2008

argus wishingwell's avatar

it smells like fruity talk powder and that makes me soothe. i have worn it for approx. 2 years and not a single one of my girlfriends asked about it. i waited for a response like "what's this frag?" "hmm bad" or "hmm nice"... nothing. i dont wear cologne for gaining attention but it's an issue i think. low sillage...

08 April, 2008

chocolateguy's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

Any special about this one? I feel nothing. As well as Armani Attitude, I just fine them boring.

08 April, 2008

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

A very nice oriental scent. The citrus opening is not at all acrid like in many other fragrances, but very soft and pleasant. The warmth of the fragrance kicks in immediately, giving it a sensual allure. The mid notes become spicier (a characteristic of many Armani perfumes), but not over the top, so that the olive flower remains very noticeable. The blend of the ingredients is just right, making it one of the best Armani fragrances.

11th January, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

Peppery opening with anise following -- not usually a good combination for me. (Anise notes don't usually do well on my skin.) That said, these die down soon and the warm, slightly spicy and very sweet dry-down begins. Moderate sillage and average longevity.

Better than most mainstream frags today, but by no means a classic in and of itself. Translation: don't knock anyone over to grab a bottle. Safe, pleasant frag for clubs and offices alike.

09 January, 2008

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Everyone loves smelling Code on me except me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is bad but I mainly pick up a "medicinal" background throughout that turns me off.

With that said every woman loves this on me and I therefor wear it and pretty much have to give it a thumbs up just for the female attention factor.

27 December, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Good stuff, very cedary and a bit bitter. Similar to Burberry Brit...too similar to rock them both in a collection. Also similar to Givenchy ph and Givenchy Blue Label. They all dry down to that manly cedary goodness. Can't go wrong with this though, as Armani does very well with sillage and longevity. Good stuff.

23 November, 2007

Islandwriter's avatar

I have the mini. While I like the scent a lot, it doesn't last. Also, my female friends are split slightly in favor or 'no big deal'.
    I would agree with the fellow who said it is a safe, but decent, choice.

12 November, 2007

jhershaw's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

It doesn't smell much oriental to me.. Actually, it reminds me more of mediterranean, bit of oil, flowers and wood (olive flower, huh?). The scent is, IMHO, very beautiful, attractive, sensual but also very straightforward, without any development, surprise and mystique in my nose, which I like about A*Men or Very Irresistible. 4 out of 5.

07 November, 2007

nix's avatar

This is a very safe choice, highly wearable in any situation. Probably won't fetch the most compliments, but won't offend anyone either. The dry down is wonderfull. One of the few fragrances I will ALWAYS have in my collection.

04 November, 2007

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

A very long lasting and well blended perfume. The scent is smooth, fresh, somewhat clean and at the same time smoky-spicy. People around love it!

04 August, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 July, 2008)

Carl999's avatar

Heh......Nothing special.

Quite wearable - but it has never got me any compliments...I just use it as an every day sorta thing - nto sure what fragrance family to group it into, though.

I don't really understand this fragrance - and I have been wearing it for almost 3 years now...Just smells a bit confusing - not sure whether I like it or not!

05 July, 2007

Randolph314's avatar

I really like this scent. It's not anything revolutionary but it manages to project a sort of creamy bergamot that's incredibly pleasant. Unfortunately, it doesn't project well and it doesn't last at all on me. If Armani ever comes out with an extreme version, I'll be the first in line.

29 June, 2007

nout's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Got a sample with my recently bought bottle of Cacharel's (highly underrated) Amor.

The best way I can describe this fragrance: it is like a higher quality Vesace Blue Jeans that seems to be made entirely out of natural gourmandish ingresients.
    Where Blue jeans is a synthetic vanilla with some undefined marine notes added, Black Code is vanilla and almond macarons ("bitterkoekjes" in Dutch), very eatable.
    A high quality fragrance, just not my taste.

04 June, 2007

nthny's avatar

I have a COLLECTORS MUST OWN list (male) with one of the major criterion being that the fragrance be truly unique, and Armani Code is on that list. It is SO VERY intriguing and sensual, dry and dusty, yet sweet and insensy.

The first blast is like inhaling a molecule cloud, or like watching a snow channel on TV: spice, sour citrus, insense, powder and more, all scrambling to find their place. What is so ABSOLUTELY fantastic about this fragrance is that on me, I smell a slight hint of warm, salty, sweat, almost cumin like, that blends INTOXICATINGLY with the sweeter oriental side of the composition. I get this from the VERY beginning (I assume it stems from the gaiac wood's warm/salt and sharpness of the citrus). In NO WAY is this a foul odor. On the contrary, it adds to the amazing mysterious darkness of this fascinating fragrance.

This is a VERY itriguing, extremely sensual fragrance that somehow seems to tap into and enhance the rawness of a man's personal, natural scent. I simply can't get enough. And if you love this I strongly suggest Lanvin Arpege pour Homme.

30th May, 2007

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

I agree that is not very oriental It's like Kenzo Jungle a citric-oriental one.
    It's pleasant but if I want to innovate I'd stick on the Kenzo one
    ;)

26 May, 2007

Stelios_X_opa's avatar

I cant see someone disliking this. I am wearing it right now, and it is amazing. The top, middle, and base notes blend together incredibly, and this smooth fresh fragrance is ADDICTING!!!
    Longetivity = 10+ Hours

A MUST have!!!

18 May, 2007

khalid3's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Armani code is my favorite...period. I tried it once at Von Maur and loved it. I only have a couple of others, but Armani is by far my best. I love its smell after a couple of hours, its great. I bought the 4.2oz from Macy's, as they were the only store who carried it in that size.

13 April, 2007

bespassport's avatar

A definate two thumbs up, as it's the only scent that makes me weak at the knees. I can see how people might not like the opening notes, however, it fades so quickly it's almost not worth mentioning. I found it easy to handle during the time it took to develop into the warmer, wood notes.

The rest can only be described as pure sophistication, warm, and comforting. Although its described as an evening scent, it's appropriate for the workplace.

It's not an overpowering scent; you would have to be within a reasonable distance of the person to smell it, but when you do, you end up moving closer to keep catching a hint of it.

23 March, 2007

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Armani Code = Black Code = Clean oriental unisex frag

Very pleasant, could easily be an office scent.

Not sure where the "black" comes from: this scent is not solemn, not sophisticated, just soft and clean. Not overly sweet.

Stay and sillage were average. Not very dimensional, just smells "nice" as per my girlfriend.

I like Burbery Brit, Jaipur, and Lacoste Green PH more and they are within the same class and have more complexity. Not nauseating like Pi. Code is not a bad frag, and would go along with a timid but well meaning demeanor. Just not me :)

11th March, 2007

NIKEHEAD1982's avatar

Along with Aqcua Di Gio Pour Homme, Armani Code Pour Homme is another great fragrance by Giorgio Armani. Like Aqcua Di Gio, it's top notes contain an intensely fresh citrus aroma and it's base notes are clean and woodsy, but, Aqcua Di Gio is more of a daytime fragrance and Armani Code is more of a nighttime fragrance (It's a darker/heavier scent), in my opinion. Aqcua Di Gio is more for the beach (oversized sweater and lightwash jeans) and Armani Code is more for the city/streets (black leather motorcycle jacket or 5-piece suit). It's a beautiful fragrance, but, you either love it or you hate it. I love it!

14 February, 2007

steveharrisonmc's avatar

Having had the chance to wear the fragrance 2x. Here are my thoughts. First I think this thing has a rather annoying opening. It's not bad it's just so boring and played out. It smells like orange cleaner. However the key is in the dry down. Once the olive and tonka/wood come out this thing becomes a new fragrance. It has good sillage. It isn't over bearing but it will give just a hint to anyone close by. I love that effect. Love the drydown and squeezed at least a good 7 or 8 hours out of this one.

27 December, 2006