Reviews of Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

steveharrisonmc's avatar

Having had the chance to wear the fragrance 2x. Here are my thoughts. First I think this thing has a rather annoying opening. It's not bad it's just so boring and played out. It smells like orange cleaner. However the key is in the dry down. Once the olive and tonka/wood come out this thing becomes a new fragrance. It has good sillage. It isn't over bearing but it will give just a hint to anyone close by. I love that effect. Love the drydown and squeezed at least a good 7 or 8 hours out of this one.

27 December, 2006

LeMâle's avatar

This one is difficult for me to wear. I cannot stand the top notes, it smells almost like body odor to me, but once that goes it is incredible. I absolutely love this in cooler weather, I just wish the opening wasn't so harsh.

25 December, 2006

Since this is an Armani, I was expecting it to be like most of the other Armani scents I’ve tried–well made, pleasant but rather boring accords, and incredibly weak and short lived. I was very surprised when I first sniffed this one—I even checked the bottle to make sure it was an Armani. I could smell it, and it smelled great. Its opening aroma is very attractive and its middle notes are also. In performance, the scent stays close to the skin and lacks projection—this can be either good or bad in a scent depending on a wearer’s point of view. The primary problem of the scent is its lack of longevity; it is gone within an hour. This is another scent (like Polo Black) that I’m tempted to praise just because it is halfway decent, but, in the end, I have to rate it on its own merits rather than my desire to say something nice. As pleasant as it is, its atrocious longevity earns it an ‘ehh...'

03 December, 2006

Scentsibility's avatar

I just bought this last week. The initial burst has an almost nausea-inducing peppery note similar to Cartier Declaration, but this passes quickly. What is left is a warm woodsy drydown with a hint of sweet candy. The pepper is still there, but much more subdued. I think this is a modern masculine classy frag appropriate for day/night and formal/casual wear (at least in cooler months). Sillage and longevity are both low on me - maybe 4-5 hours tops. But this one is really growing on me.

01st December, 2006

castorpollux's avatar

I liked this scent more than I wanted to. I thought it was going to be yet another soft masculine frag with peppery notes and some vanilla and/or woods at the base, but found it to be much more complex than what it states and I liked that.
    The pyramid seems very simple, but the real deal is that the layers are more than that, and it shows…the nicest part of the whole thing was the drydown, wih resinous, smoky woods that combined with the surprisingly long lasting top and mid notes, develop in a very rich scent. This one is far better than the mis-step that was Mania.
    Some women have said to me that it was “yummy” and masculine and that the drydown was way better than the top notes. I am a fan of bergamot and the top has lots of it and that makes me happy. I got “new refinement”, luster and class.

10th November, 2006

ToadKings's avatar

It reminds me of Uomo? Moschino mixed with Polo Black. It is a very dark scent with an ok mix of woods and fruits. The middle notes of olive flower turn me off because I just hate the way olives smells. I would have like to seen more of a dominance in the note of guiac wood and it might have been better. Overall it did not impress me and their are better frags out there.

04 November, 2006

lespritz's avatar

Wonderful smell, expensive considering how fast that smell is gone...so too mild...

20th October, 2006

RugbyPete's avatar

*yawn* Another girly fragrance, that’s watery, for guys with blonde spikey hair, who wear fragrances soley to pull cos the girls like it. There’s a reason, it should be for girls. Un imaginative, smells like every other armarni. If you like their others, you already have it.

17 October, 2006

01kad's avatar

This is a great smell. It is great for the young crowd also. You can get away with wearing this everyday because it is not overpowering. it sort of blends in in a good way.

14 October, 2006

lelando's avatar

This is perfect for those of us who like classic fragrances, but don't feel old enough to wear them everyday. Most of my young lady friends adore this fragrance - but it doesn't appear overworn by the un-fragrance educated masses. It's great for a day at the mall, or for everyday at work. My wife loves this on me. It opens tart and woody and has good sillage and longevity. Absolutely unoffensive and very pleasant. Its as close as you can get to the Armani Private Collection (Which I highly recommend any true fragrance Connoisseur own) without spending $150 an ounce. As far as mass market fragrances go - this one gets a thumbs up. Warm and woody - but still feels fresh and clean from top to bottom.

11th October, 2006

anthony's avatar

Come on people.. this scent is fantastic! Meander through any smokefilled club and you WILL turn the heads of more than a few young women with this blast of sweetness. It reminds me of the root beer candies I used to get in my pillowcase on halloween. Add a 1/4 tsp of vanilla and bam! you've got a dozen chicks licking your neck. Great stuff, powerful sillage. Grand slam Georgio.

01st October, 2006

RiveGauche2006's avatar

Very nice fall scent very masculine and lasts throughout the day. A must have for any Armani fan

23 September, 2006

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

As mod as it is bland, it's the kind of gift the boss would pass out at the Christmas party to all the male clerks.

Not bad, just nothing to write home about. An inoffensive scent which blends with the crowd, and is guaranteed not to offend anyone.

Howard Roark would laugh. Bond would use it for target practice with his Walther PPK

23 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Love the top note and the olive flower but have a beef with a slightly synthetic note in the drydown. Someone has said James Bond would wear this. Codswallop, Moneypenny would say he's lost his style and buy him some Eucris or Dunhill Edition. This is for under 25s who want to impress their gf of this week. Another weak and short lasting offering by Armani.

19 September, 2006

Equus's avatar

Right now one of my top five. As with Chanel Allure, it gives a great mix and balance of citrus and wood notes. Transition from opening citrus to wood/tonka Drydown works. Hard to be disappointed with this one. Simplicity of note structure works great. Very likeable, especially if you prefer oriental spice scents.

15 September, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

I'm in agreement with nearfantastica's review - especially that Armani Code is a 'James Bond' scent! I bought this for my husband and when he wears it...I turn to putty! It's slightly fresh and not too "perfumey". Manly!
    I think the tonka in the base keeps it close and sexy. Also purchased the deodorant which he likes very much. Thumbs up for sure!

14 September, 2006

damianclark76's avatar

I like this scent but find it a bit sickly. Don't wear it nearly as often as others i own

31st August, 2006

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Armani Code is fresh, masculine, elegant & sexy. differnt from Acqua Di Gio & Armani Mania.
    AC similarity to Very Irrésistible & Dior Homme. AC & four unisex collections is best fragrances by Giorgio Armani.
    enjoy!

16 August, 2006

Redleg's avatar

A simple scent that is masculine and modern.

11th May, 2006

benb's avatar

This is nothing but a toned downed copy of By Man.
    Benb

10th May, 2006

's avatar

Wow.. sexy sexy sexy scent! The tonka base helps to create a drydown that is truly mysterios and oriental. The black bottle suits the mood of this fragrance perfectly. Though a fairly light fragrance by oriental standards, I would not consider this a scent to wear in overly casual situations.. the seemless blend of florals, sweetness and slight woods.. make this choice great for office, formal.. or romantic situations. I would consider this.. a James Bond scent.

07 May, 2006

markc's avatar

To me, it had many notes similar to Polo Black. So so, but I like Polo Black a bit better.

27 April, 2006

jpara's avatar

Great for the evening out, smells great the entire time. The drydown remains with me a long time. Still isn't so popular that everyone in the club is wearing it yet. Enjoy!

21st April, 2006

kmoorer's avatar

Very unique scent in my opinion. This is what i wear out in the evenings.

12 April, 2006

zztopp's avatar

Notes:
    Top: Citron
    Middle: Olive Blossom, Aromatic, and Anisey Accents
    Base : Tonka Bean, Blonde Tobacco, Gaiac Wood, Smoky

I am revisting Armani Code/Black Code after some time off from Armani fragrances (trust me, its hard to do if you frequent department stores - can't escape the Di Gio), and I have to admit, I am finding more redeeming qualities in this one. While the adverts come off as a bad case of The Matrix trilogy hangover (dark shades, spandex and slo-mo bullet dodging is so played out!), the sleek curvy dark bottle with just the right degree of curvature and heft isn't as embarrassing.

Code opens with a citric blast which is a bit unusual; its hard to describe. It smells citrusy alright, but theres something medicinal and gaseous about it with a floral hint. Its interesting to say the least - the floral note is probably the olive flower, which isn't as sweet or intense in its scent profile as something like tuberose. The heart notes amp up the intrigue factor with a dose of anise, its tangy sweet character continuing from where the olive flower and citrus combo left off. The smooth and suave creaminess of the tonka bean makes its appearance shortly thereafter. And here lies the problem - the transition from top and middle notes to the base takes minutes...5 minutes to be exact. Thats too fast for a Matrix wannabe. Slo-mo, take your time to develop. Thats not to say that the base is bad; its chockfull of tonka bean with a dry woodiness about it (with a light smoky character) thanks to the guaic wood. The end effect is of a light, creamy, slightly woody skin scent, with good longevity but low sillage.

The quality of ingredients is decent, and there are distinct phases of development. Code however is less interesting than its orange blossom laced womens counterpart, and reveals its trump cards too early. With that said, it qualifies as a good discreet/office scent. It has also made Armani a ton of money already, and just having both Code and Aqua di Gio in your wardrobe is a pretty respectable option for a casual fragrance fan. I dont care much for this musky light skin scent, but for some strange reason women like it a lot .. that last statement itself will now entice hordes of teens to stock up on the Matrix love juice. What is the Code ? I dont care because I am happy doing my own thing with Terre D'Hermes and Chanel Allure homme.

02 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2007)

as4160's avatar

great stuff...seems to be getting really popular lately, even though its very different from Acqua Di Gio

28 March, 2006

Giovanni's avatar

A real slick fragrance that has some spice to it on me, like a spicier version of Chanel Allure, Black Code doesn't really develop into anything but the scent is on point just the way it is, some say Black Code and Brit share alot but i own both and don't really see it, if you like Tonka bean don't pass this up

28 February, 2006

Deskexplorer2's avatar

Good stuff! However, I will admit that the top notes (initial burst) turned me off to this fragrance immediately. Once given time to settle onto the skin, the fragrance slowly unfolds very nicely. This one also lasted a good eight hours on me.

24 February, 2006

totalparfumlove's avatar

I really dont know what it is about this cologne, but dear god this one has a great unique smell, that's strong, masculine and very sexy!

04 February, 2006

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Armani Black Code smells strongly powdery with a touch of vanilla and roasted nuts. Not the worst stuff I ever tried, but I think Burberry Brit is similar and works better on me. It’s average, nothing special or new and it has a familiar scent and you can tell its Armani. Like other Armani fragrances, has very short staying power (+/- 20 minutes) and you need to apply it at least six times for good sillage.

02 February, 2006