Neutral Reviews of Versace Man by Versace

Find out more about Versace Man by Versace in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sjg3839's avatar

Starts out like a synthetic candy or bubble gum. Then it seems to smell slightly floral (Not too floral). The longer this stays on the skin, the better it smells. This one is OK, but not as good as Versace Man Eau Fraiche.

09 October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Gentle and spicy aroma of tobacco with a lemon-orange bit pungent persistent undertone and an almost tasty, balmy soul. Man is not bad but I find it too inoffensive and banally enjoiable for my taste. Any trace of boldness and too much mild lightness. Neroli, angelica, spices, citrus and tobacco arouse the blend diverse nuances while resins and woods constitute the real olfactory soul. I use to appreciate the tobacco-orange accord in general and it is not badly carried out in this case. The angelica provides a bitter-sweet, slightly mentholated undertone which is by me perceived till the dry down. The fragrance is sweet and synthetic but well balanced. The aroma doesn't slide for real towards the gourmand territories despite the amber, balsams and in particular hints of vanilla flanked by labdanum, upholding indeed the necessary level of dryness and earthiness due to stable citrus, tobacco and spices (a peppery initial blast in particular). While the longevity of the fragrance is quite good, this scent stands out basically close to the skin.

15 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2014)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Synthetic, minimal projection, decent longevity, concoction of crap. You ever see those sample inserts in GQ magazine with the scents? They have a paper like smell usually.. I'd assume because they've been marinating on the paper. Versace Man has a similar thing going on, except there's obviously no paper on your skin. That same smell can mistake this cologne for a woman's perfume as well.

The actual scent is all tangled up, and it doesn't change much until it dries down. First 3 minutes - "Why am I wearing perfume"; Second 10-20 minutes - "Hey, I kinda smell like a lemon/flower pie"; Lastly - "Where the hell did this come from, I don't remember putting this on!?" This would be referring to the dry down, it is very subtle and close to the skin, extremely light and kind of pepperminty woodsy slightly flowery aroma. Throughout it still maintains this papery/perfumy smell that I found in Azzaro's Chrome.. that I truly despise. The juice isn't all that bad, but I don't think this is a man's scent. People who know me know how unimpressed I am with Versace's fragrances. The majority of them are very synthetic, and they are targeted for the high school crowd. The type that can say to their friends "I'm wearing Versace" Versace being an expensive designer.

Most cologne enthusiasts will never own this stuff, anything other than a sample. While it may smell good in the bottle, or sprayed on paper, that simply isn't enough for a thumbs up or a praising rating IMO. I give this a D.

19 March, 2010

Kabamaru ninja's avatar

Greece Greece

Spicy with some citrus undertones and more pepper...
    Just something different but not for my taste.
    The only versage I like a lot is Pour Homme.
    and the one I hate is Dreamer this one is just another offering....pass.

18 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2010)

Raebies's avatar

First, I am hit with those zingy spices. I don't get "tobacco" so much as cigar box. There are sophisticated woody smells that remind me of an old chess set my father used to own. The spices fade quickly though, leaving behind the soapiness, then finally a bubble bath. There's just too much going on, it's trying too hard and once the spices disappear it's a bit disappointing.

16 February, 2010

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

Top notes are spicy, somewhat sexy, but definitely synthetic. Kind of generic, also. Hints of citrus (specifically lemon), also. Pretty linear from here on out.

17 November, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

Very nice but way too familiar. There are so many other frags like it out there. Chrome by Azzaro will give you a similar effect with a cleaner finish.

25 February, 2009

Shaheen's avatar

This shares the tobacco note that makes up Versace The Dreamer, but is a bit more complex. I like this one a whole lot more than The Dreamer (Versace Man doesn't open smelling like acetone) but for the most part I didn't care for it. It's just too dark and tobacco-leaf smelling, and I prefer fragrances with a bit of sweetness. It's definitely manly however, and quite unique. Give it a try if you're into that type of fragrance.

It should be noted that Versace Man Eau Fraîche smells NOTHING like Versace Man. They are two totally different fragrances.

25 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

All the notes in the pyramid to me all to become one mass. And that is berry/fruit/liquor, that's all I seem to get. Not horrible, but a bit synthetic and just not really for me. Not bad sillage and lasts, even after washing you may still catch a whiff of it.

01st December, 2007

rapture2's avatar

Very strange. Some days I think its great others I wonder why I havent traded it off. The scent is unlike any I have ever had or tried before. So in the least, it is different. The scent starts off strong but loses power and fades away on my skin in less than two hours and then out of nowhere it occasionaly shows up throughout the day. Not one that projects itself far but is also not a skin-hugging fragrance. Worth a try because it is different but may not sit well with you. Who knows, this could be another frag that needs a certain skin chemistry to pull it off.

09 August, 2005

Leo's avatar

Menthol/camphor ouverture. A Hugo Boss Dark Blue with better developing power. Drydown is tobacco, in the Dreamer's mold. Very masculine and in your face. Lasts for AGES.

20th November, 2004

Stuey's avatar

It's okay. Gave it a try and while nice enough just not as nice as Dreamer. Dreamer is just the cream of the crop.

03 March, 2004