Reviews of The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Find out more about The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

The One starts out life with a conventional but nicely rendered sweet citrus top note, rounded off by some discreet aromatics and a touch of cardamom. It quickly thickens and sweetens as a clean, but oddly “artificial” smelling white flower accord comes into play. The entire composition then assumes an olfactory texture akin to marshmallow candy, as a cloud of dusty cedar and powdery vanillic notes wells up in the foundation. The result is something like tropical fruit over coconut – not far removed, in fact, from a piña colada. I smell neither tobacco nor ambergris.

The poolside cocktail accord chugs right along, little paper parasol and all, until it arrives at its pleasant-but-insipid sweet woody/vanillic drydown. Sillage and projection are both adequate: neither is skimpy, but neither will offend your neighbors. In fact, there’s nothing here at all to hate. Nor, sadly, is there much to celebrate. Were you to take an edgier masculine gourmand – A*Men, say, or Lolita Lempicka au Masculin – and pare away anything that might cause even the slightest wrinkle of the nose, The One is very likely what you’d get. Unnecessary.

05 July, 2014

JimmyP's avatar

I do not have a longevity problem with this scent. However, I tend to just "let go" while applying it (roughly 6 sprays total). Usually lasts me all day. Sillage may not be the brightest, but its there. I think this scent is so good that it is just never enough of it and it quickly causes olfactory fatigue.

Wonderful blend of all things I appreciate in mens fragrances - tobacco, amber, coriander with a solid cedar finish. Drydown makes me think of GPH 1 for some reason. I think it has more woods in the base than people give it credit for. No, of course it does not literally smell like GPH at all, but the overall seductive ambience is not unlike the one in Gucci.

19 May, 2014

LoveCologne89's avatar

One thing I truly adore about this cologne is the mature man can pull it off as well as a younger male like myself. Almost powdery like scent it's projection isn't the best almost disappointing but the longevity is amazing. Besides one flaw in which I can personally point out it's an amazing scent. Really recommended for evening wear.

14 April, 2014

Odeon's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

The One is an intimate fragrance but I would be anosmic to say "no projection or longevity". This is certainly not the case and I am still smelling a single spray at arm's length after 4 hours. If you are looking for a ghetto-blaster fragrance then look elsewhere, because The One to me is about the romancing of one special person. It is an olfactory love letter intended only for the one person whom you desire. I find myself wanting to be closer to the scent. It offers a game of chase to its recipient who must come closer for the mystery to be revealed. The notes are warm, soft and seamlessly blended. The fragrance makes a strong statement without being obtrusive. The One is perfectly suited for romantic wear, special occasions, and those who prefer discrete everyday wear.

26 March, 2014

tjarksd's avatar

Great smell. Good for work or dates where you're up close together. I'm not good at detecting specific top, middle, and base notes. To me this scent is spectacular from application through the drying process, and right up to when it disappears.

Longevity varies on the person and how it's applied I guess. It's best for me with a couple spritzes on my shirt and one to each of the inside of my forearms. I usually get 4 hrs or so. The One holds on cotton fabric much longer than on my skin.

I try not to do my wrists and the bottom of my forearms because I sit in a cube at a keyboard most of the time. Fragrance from those locations just end up on my desk.

20th March, 2014

marcelopcr's avatar

Just like everyone says. Amazing scent, ok longevity, zero sillage/projection.

06 February, 2014

sega's avatar

I love this scent. On me, it lasted like two days. Longevity is great, smell is great and I think it goes with my ethnicity (Jewish). Maybe it's the color, but my dad really liked it too.

05 January, 2014

thines01's avatar

This is an absolutely beautiful-smelling fragrance with no projection or longevity. I bought it in a two-bottle package and was disapponted especially because of the high price. I found there is a body-lotion that comes in a different package and might have kept this if I could have bought the lotion by itself to help with the longevity issues. Too bad.

Pros: The smell
    Cons: The longevity and the price

01st January, 2014

zacky's avatar

Tried this at a shop the other day and loved the smell. Smooth, sexy and warm. Best for a wearing at night and in cold weather. The scent stayed on the leather strap of my wrist watch for a day or two. Couldn't stop myself from smelling my wrist again and again. People thought I was CRAZY! So went ahead and bought a bottle. To my utter surprise and disappointment, it has no longevity and silage at all!! And i mean none. Have to spray considerable amount just to get it noticed and my bottle is already half empty. I wish they could have made it last a bit longer as in my opinion it is well suited to be in the league of other giants such as Dior Homme Intense. A word of caution: Some men may not like it as it may seem a little feminine to them. Better try before buying especially considering the high price tag! But this is it for me, I wont be buying another bottle of this. What's the use of it if you can't smell it?

12 November, 2013

Theo's avatar

Nice Scent

I was gifted a bottle of this by a friend and I really like it a lot. I'm not getting the citrus notes that some mention but it does have a nice freshness to it in the top notes that you don't find in a lot of warmer, spicy, woodsy scents. It's very warm in the dry down, and I would consider it as a fall, winter or nighttime scent. I used to wear Kenneth Cole RSVP because a female interest at the time loved it and I think the two are definitely similar. I think the one is warmer, more sophisticated and doesn't have the slightly synthetic quality that RSVP does. For some who like this scent but feel it lacks longevity and projection (which I don't, personally) you might be pleasantly surprised by RSVP, because it has great projection and longevity, but is a bit sweeter. The One has just the right balance of sweet, in my opinion. Over the past few years I've really started to dislike fragrances that are too sweet on my skin. If you're in the same boat, you might give The One a try. Overall, a very well composed fragrance, definitely a thumbs up!

Pros: Warm, woodsy, spicy, but not too strong or sweet
    Cons: Longevity and projection aren't issues for me"

17 October, 2013

imustbreaku's avatar

I just wish it would last

A wonderful, interesting frag, with great versatility.

It would be a perfect work scent if it lasted more than 2 hours (on my skin, air conditioned office). Definitely signature scent worthy, if only it lasted longer.

Pros: Beautiful, interesting aroma
    Cons: Blink, and its gone"

22 August, 2013

JEBeasley's avatar

Deceptively clean

When I sampled this at the department store it immediately caught my attention because it smelled good on blotter. I didn't put any on myself because I was already wearing something I liked. On paper it has a warm, leathery, mildly sweet, slightly ozonish with a touch of resin smell - well rounded or so I thought at the time. I really like earthy, foresty, tobacco, resinous, leathery, smoky and edible smells so I was interested in this one. In retrospect I think that what I was wearing at the time greatly influenced my decision to buy this because I don't normally buy scents without trying them first but I did this time. I'm not fond of clean smells, if I want that overly processed ozone, candy and detergent freshness I'll buy mega-scented fresh deodorant products and be done with it. Unfortunately for me this dries down to just that and makes my sinuses feel as though they've been reamed with a wire brush. Lesson learned.

Pros: Smells good on paper
    Cons: Smells like cleaning fluid or cheap deodorant on me"

19 August, 2013

VincentVega's avatar

Beautiful Scent! Sensual and seductive.

Gorgeous masculine scent! On me it's warm and slightly sweat. I pick up vanilla and fresh mandarin with a hint of spice throughout...with cedar and tobacco notes coming through during dry-down.

Much has been made about the projection. The One projects fine. I'm not sure what the expectations are for cologne projection these days. One popular YouTube reviewer talks about hitting himself with five spays. Wow! Five spays of most anything will send people running in the other direction. Personally, I do not want to leave a vapor trail behind me.

I've worn The One off and on the past couple weeks and have had no issue with it's projection or longevity. For me, 1 spray to the upper chest/neck and 1 to the wrist and I'm good. Lasts eight hours on me. Highly recommend.

Pros: Warm and inviting.
    Cons: None."

18 August, 2013

nyguy's avatar

Wish it could be potent

I loved the way this smells, I had to have the bottle. Sprayed in 6-7 times all the time and 2 hours later ....GONE. Others had the same problem. Smell wise it opens with a nice Fall seasoned-Muffin baking smell with a hint of woodsyness. This sells quite a bit too, I just don't get how anyone wants a fragrance that has no longevity or projection. But the smell is quite amazing, they need to make a perfume/potent version of this juice ASAP. Would rate it a solid 5 if it had longevity. Doesn't even stay on the skin for that long

Pros: Smells Amazing
    Cons: TERRIBLE LONGEVITY"

23 July, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

The One by Dolce & Gabanna

Typical gourmandish fresh spicy vanilla fragrance which has some good elements to it, but otherwise a very generic and typical cologne. It's pleasant, but it's not something I would personally wear. Performance, both projection and longevity, is terrible

24 May, 2013

silentrich's avatar

There's not much to say, but what stands out on The One is that most people like the way it smells, but hate the projection and longevity. There's longevity that's acceptable, bad, and then there's The One's longevity. Yep, it's that bad. How people can give this a thumbs up I'll never know.

24 April, 2013

DZUKS's avatar

Has a really sweet and warm smell with a kick. Kinda had a muffin/cookie smell imo. Cuddly smell, and gets compliments.

13 April, 2013

rbaker's avatar

The opening is captivating: a touch of citrus with cardamom and an amber note; the ginger remains in the background on me. The drydown is delightful; I get cardamom, and after the first hour a woody note mixed with light tobacco notes moves into the foreground, with a hint of bitter dryness. The overall impression is that of an extremely smooth, well-blended and rounded composition, that is a medium heavy scent and never cloying. The projection and silage are good, and I get over three hours out if it. One of the truly high-quality designer fragrances.

31st March, 2013

K.O.D.'s avatar

Love love love the smell. Longevity is maybe 4-5 hours. Projection is a bit light. Overall a good year round scent. In the winter I use a little extra to permeate the heavy layers I have to wear in the Chicago winter. Much better scent than D&G Light Blue.

14 January, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Dolce's "The One"... The Spice of Life..?!?!

Dolce's Dolce's "The One" is very pleasant blend of floral, fruit, spice, and woodsy notes with a hint of tobacco, yes tobacco.. There may be similar scents out there, but this One carries the Dolce name, it is a pleasant scent, and is easy on the nose. Very nice..!! While I am more of a fan of aquatic and citrus fragrances, I like this One and have no problem working into the rotation. And too - Sweetie loves it.. She is a fan of the spicy, woodsy, and as she calls it, "manly" fragrances. Obviously, these are worn a little more frequently..

While I have not received compliments outside of Sweetie, One has potential. The fragrance is that good - especially shortly after the initial application. That brings me to my next performance measure - projection/sillage and longevity. Given this is a Dolce fragrance - I have greater expectations. I want this fragrance to get out and let people know I have been there. Is that too much to ask? It is a pleasant scent and it should leave a positive following. I am a little disappointed... The One projects well early on and then fades. The longevity is average at best, lasting only about five (5) hours with only slight detection above the skin and clothing.

The bottle and packaging is first class - nothing short of expectation from Dolce. Out of the box, you know you have a spicy/woodsy fragrance - the bottle is clear, the fragrance is an amber brown, and there is a nice wood grain finish with the cap - great job.. Yes, call me a Geek to notice these things..!!

While most people would suggest this is a fall or winter fragrance, I think One offers great flexibility that allows it be worn any time of year and for any occasion. What can I say - I am comfortable in my own skin..!!

Another issue with One is the price or value. The current rate on Amazon is still over $50.00 for a large bottle - while not bad, with all the choices out there, you can pick up fragrances that are as pleasant, better longevity, at a lower price. It is what it is..!! If you like the high end designers, the expectation is - you pay the higher price. Is (or will) it be worth it - you decide..!!

Final scoring for The One is 4.3 stars out of 5. The One is a great musky/'woodsy' fragrance - If the price/value were better coupled with improved longevity/projection/sillage, my scoring would be higher. Make today count...

13 January, 2013

CASUAL's avatar

This cologne smells great but it does have some really bad longevity. You're better off just buying alot of samples in order to re-apply this as needed. I would recommend checking out Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, it has a very very similar scent but is much better quality, longevity and projection wise.

08 January, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Smells incredible, but suffers from bad longevity and projection. On my skin this is a bad fragrance because of how bad its potency is. However, on clothes it's more noticeable and the smell is the same. I figure I'll get good use of it for the summer and spray on clothes to get desired performance.

If this was an EDP and lasted 8 hours or more on skin, this'd be a direct competitor to the likes of La Nuit de L'Homme and Dior Homme Intense

08 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2013)

Robzrx7's avatar

Instantly loved this one. Citrus Vanilla and Tobacco are what I mainly pick up with this scent. This isn't really an all day scent and definitely not a hot weather scent. Wearing this makes me think of a cabin in the woods on a snowy evening. I've seen people complaint about projection and longevity but this lasts 8+ on me. I have a 2009 bottle so I don't know if the newer batches have been changed. Wouldn't recommend blind buying this one not everyone will like it but maybe thats a good thing.

05 December, 2012

's avatar

I smell a great ambery tobacco note mainly. It's indeed a good scent, but unluckly lacks in terms of longevity and projection. It's very classy and suitable for all seasons. Definetely a must try.

29 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2013)

coolhandluke87's avatar

Ok... The scent itself is amazing. The base notes are always there. The middle and top notes mix but if you sit and study the smell you can pick them out. I find this to be very wearable, altho it could seem like a older scent. It almost reminds me of something my dad wore, but the new school version (some probably wouldn't like that, but my pops was my hero).
    Like i said, the base shines... My nose can pick out the tobacco, the wood, the amber. The top and middle notes make the spice and the herbal like feel. With the floral note in there to give it the right sweetness. The scent alone makes it a masterpiece imo, but this is where D&G let a lot of people and me down..
    It does a vanishing act that would make Kayser S'o'ze go "what the... Where did it go?"
    It's a scent that smells awesome from the time you spray it on, its gonna develop, its gonna dry drown into something even unbelievable...
    "And like that, POOF! He's gone..."

19 October, 2012

jarroditshallbe's avatar

A boy runs into the living room and takes his grandfather's favorite chair as soon as he gets up to leave the room. The boy dives head first into the chair, still feeling his grandfather's warmth he left behind by his body. The old man comes back and picks up the boy and puts him in his lap. They sit together, comfortably watching television.

I also feel there is whiskey in a glass nearby, but it doesn't fit with my presented story. Ah well.

16 October, 2012

nfn1983's avatar

Iran Iran

The scent itself is superb! I almost find no other scent even close to it!
    But a BIG BUT!
    There's NO sillage or longevity with this stuff! A great pitty.
    No matter how many sprays you do (as once I did 24!), in the next hour hardly anyone can even tell that you're wearing a fragrance!
    I give it a VERY WEAK neutral rating just for the scent itself, but I never buy it again...

05 October, 2012

MikeJ's avatar

Sexy in a bottle. This fragrance is a perfect blend of woods and spices, with a hint of sweetness that gives off a "sexy" vibe. Initially I wanted to give The One a neutral rating, solely because of the projection issue. Within an hour, the fragrance can not be detected unless I smell my wrist up close. However, longevity is fine and the scent is gorgeous (perfect date night scent).

25 September, 2012

abethouin's avatar

Wonderful exotic scent, one of my favorite scents in my collection, longevity and projection are spotty however. -AT

25 September, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Spicy with cinnamon that blends together quite nicely. This smells like something I smelled before.Like most D&G colognes, this is has a synthetic smell. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty good fragrance though.

16 September, 2012