Negative Reviews of The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Find out more about The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Surreal's avatar

Coconut somehow nice opening but at least on me it doesnt last that long...
    IMO doesnt worth to buy.

04th October, 2014

thines01's avatar

This is an absolutely beautiful-smelling fragrance with no projection or longevity. I bought it in a two-bottle package and was disapponted especially because of the high price. I found there is a body-lotion that comes in a different package and might have kept this if I could have bought the lotion by itself to help with the longevity issues. Too bad.

Pros: The smell
    Cons: The longevity and the price

01st January, 2014

zacky's avatar

Tried this at a shop the other day and loved the smell. Smooth, sexy and warm. Best for a wearing at night and in cold weather. The scent stayed on the leather strap of my wrist watch for a day or two. Couldn't stop myself from smelling my wrist again and again. People thought I was CRAZY! So went ahead and bought a bottle. To my utter surprise and disappointment, it has no longevity and silage at all!! And i mean none. Have to spray considerable amount just to get it noticed and my bottle is already half empty. I wish they could have made it last a bit longer as in my opinion it is well suited to be in the league of other giants such as Dior Homme Intense. A word of caution: Some men may not like it as it may seem a little feminine to them. Better try before buying especially considering the high price tag! But this is it for me, I wont be buying another bottle of this. What's the use of it if you can't smell it?

12th November, 2013

JEBeasley's avatar

Deceptively clean

When I sampled this at the department store it immediately caught my attention because it smelled good on blotter. I didn't put any on myself because I was already wearing something I liked. On paper it has a warm, leathery, mildly sweet, slightly ozonish with a touch of resin smell - well rounded or so I thought at the time. I really like earthy, foresty, tobacco, resinous, leathery, smoky and edible smells so I was interested in this one. In retrospect I think that what I was wearing at the time greatly influenced my decision to buy this because I don't normally buy scents without trying them first but I did this time. I'm not fond of clean smells, if I want that overly processed ozone, candy and detergent freshness I'll buy mega-scented fresh deodorant products and be done with it. Unfortunately for me this dries down to just that and makes my sinuses feel as though they've been reamed with a wire brush. Lesson learned.

Pros: Smells good on paper
    Cons: Smells like cleaning fluid or cheap deodorant on me"

19th August, 2013

elmatador75's avatar

If you desire a quality sweet gourmond, see A*Men Pure Havane or Lolita Lempika Pour Homme. PH lasts many hours on my skin. And it is a magnificent fragrance made from quality ingredients. LPH has decent duration and is a wonderful scent as well. Vanilla and licorice. The One, however, is a disgrace. Half hour maximum duration. And it is inferior in all other aspects as well. It is a banal. The One should be a synonym for "insipid." I despise it.

16th April, 2012

kokonut's avatar

This thing smells very good but the enjoyable fruity-spicy part lasts on me maximum 30 minutes. No words for that.

10th February, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana - The melange of grapefruit, basil and coriander in the opening yields a sweet, orangey flavor, reminiscent of creamy, tropical fruit. This satisfying opening scales down to the welcoming heart, with its orange blossom, ginger and cardamon, making a soft floral and peppery concoction. As the base rises to usurp the heart, its dry cedar and faint touches of tabacco and ambergris mix with some vanilla, adding a bit of powder, to give a lightly sweet, woody undercurrent to its warm spices and a subtle muskiness. This exotic fragrance runs the gamut of a woody, soft floral and sweet spicy composition. By the way, if any of you find any projection lying around, it might belong to this fragrance inasmuch as it lost any that it ever may have had, and to compound the indignity, the longevity is likewise deporable.

20th November, 2011

spirit966's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Regret spending money on this one, gave it away.

Totally understand why people will like this. The sweet orange blends with ambered woods to make a warm and comforting scent which is discreet, classy and warming.

But because of such poor longevity and projection (this is the bigger issue), it doesn't fit in the winter (since no one can smell you) nor the summer (yes it will project but it isn't fresh enough).

For a comforting amber scent in the designer market, I prefer Chanel Allure pour Homme much more than this. Can't think of another scent with a similar opening though which to be fair, is quite attractive.

11th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2014)

RayFlash's avatar

Poland Poland

Smells like a watered down version of Kenzo Jungle Homme (spices) with some lousy pineapple on top.

Sillage as well as longevity is pitiful.

13th December, 2010

PaladinX's avatar

Based on the smell itself, I would give it a thumbs up for sure. It has a very tropical, fruity, sweet scent that reminds me a little bit of a cross between fruit punch and pina colada. But because the longevity and projection is so bad on my skin, I have to give it a thumbs down unfortunately.

12th December, 2010

AppleNerd's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Sprayed this on in Belk from a brand new tester bottle. Then went to the cinema along, with the girl I totally have a crush on. I wondered why she stopped hugging me abruptly. We proceeded to watch the movie. After I left the theatre, I smelled my elbow, where I had sprayed this.

Then it hit me:

This stuff smells like an old lady's oxidised perfume on me. I can't believe that she probably thinks I wear this everyday... I now hate D&G for making this.

NOTE: NEVER BLIND BUY A FRAGRANCE BASED ON REVIEWS, AND IF YOU'RE GOING SOMEWHERE WHERE A FRAGRANCE MUST NOT OFFEND ANYONE, GO WITH SOMETHING YOU KNOW WORKS WELL WITH YOUR SKIN CHEMISTRY!

I wish I hadn't even sprayed this on... Should've sprayed Bleu de Chanel or something (which all the young ladies love, btw).

20th September, 2010

CoL's avatar

Horribly synthetic. That vile fake sweet amber that makes me feel sick. Not for me!

22nd August, 2010

's avatar

Oof, all exotic mandarin peels, coconuts and pineapples and something sicky-orangey-sweet. Clear grapefruit? Nope. Rich, warming cardamon or fresh ginger? No. Sensual, subtle tobacco? No! Nice amber base cannot save it. Not the one for me sadly-

19th March, 2010

Stephan's avatar

Belgium Belgium

It smells cheap and it is cloying.
    The dry down is similar to M7.
    Not a good cologne!

10th December, 2009

Nizzle's avatar

My co-worker practically bathes in this stuff. I had to tell him the truth: it reminds me of a brew of Captain Morgan's spiced rum and toilet bowl cleaner. My entire workplace had an intervention and told him that the scent is incredibly offensive/ terrible.

13th August, 2009

justaguy's avatar

Bleh, I used to like this then I realized it was crappy. Throughout the whole composition is an oily burnt butter smell that makes me nauseous. While the underlying fragrance is ok, this strange burnt butter accord makes it wholly unwearable.

01st July, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th January, 2010)

Lumpen's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Perfect at the beginning, I was about to buy one,
    But after couple of hours, becoming a very cheap and fruity scent.

Not a sophisticated scent, try once more before you buy.

24th March, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

The coriander is too strong for me. Most herbs are not my friends in cologne. I guess you'll have to try it for yourself..

25th February, 2009

scentaddiction's avatar

Terrible. Bermuda Tonic for Aramis, only more alcohol in the drydown. Rub coconut lotion on yourself. Its cheaper.

30th November, 2008

Kaern's avatar

I never trust fragrances that have huge advertising campaigns surrounding it. More thought should have gone into the actual fragrance, which is very generic and totally naff. Yawnworthy and 'The One' to completely ignore if you are looking for something interesting. Tobacco? -- Do me a favour.

17th November, 2008

vidoq's avatar

Romania Romania

i love how this smells, that`s why i have bought it from sephora. but it lasts for 1 hour maximum... it`s quality from this point of view is very low....

09th November, 2008

smellme's avatar

i hate this stuff, i bought it and sold the same day. all i smell is oranges. i really cant understand how anyone can like this. it also smells pretty cheap and goes in about 1 hour. AVOID

28th October, 2008