Positive Reviews of The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Find out more about The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sj9's avatar

This fragrance is literally perfect for me.

I hate scents worn by teenagers or men that you can smell from miles away such as 1 Million.

I was looking for a classy fragrance that smells good and can be smelt by me and someone close to me...

This is it.

I've tried out Dior Homme (&intense) which I found classy but overpowering and too flowery. Chanel Allure Homme was way too synthetic for me and annoyingly strong.

D&G The One means I won't offend, but compliments my sharp suit, designer watch and winter coat ;)

People moan about longevity but I can smell the fragrance still 10 hours after applying up close.

Happy days :)

11th November, 2014

Liambambiggy's avatar

I've sampled The One several times now and I'm definitely getting the bottle. I for one think this is Dolce & Gabbana's best male frag. I tried pour homme and it just doesn't work as well as The One. The One has a beautiful arrangement of notes and the tobacco dry down is great! As far as projection and longevity of it...I haven't had any issues yet. I really don't know what people want in colognes but sounds like some people want to get smelled all the way across the room. A wise basenoter once told me " not everything is meant to be blasted" this is a nice everyday/ date night scent that is classy as well as relaxed. No harsh note in the beginning no horrible smelling dry down. It's just right! I definitely plan on making thisy fall signature scent.

P.s. If you're having issues with longevity then use lotion and apply it to the spot you want to spray and you should be smelling it for hours. I do this with bvgari black all the time!

09th October, 2014

Chanel1's avatar

Wear this one on your arms, then you can enjoy the skin scent all day. The top is beautiful (orange blossom maybe), but it's gone within an hour (maybe half an hour). The there's some powdery perfume smell that can last for a few hours, especially on clothing, and then there's the tobacco dry down that you can only enjoy if you can press your nose into it, which I recommend to get the most out of this fragrance.

Between the top notes dissipating and olfactory fatigue, this juice can be a trial for its wearer. Also, I have smelled this on someone else and I liked it less than I thought I would.

The top on this one is great, and the deodorant stick for this scent smells very good, but the performance of the juice makes it hard for me to give it a thumbs up, but I do, just barely.

08th October, 2014

JimmyP's avatar

I do not have a longevity problem with this scent. However, I tend to just "let go" while applying it (roughly 6 sprays total). Usually lasts me all day. Sillage may not be the brightest, but its there. I think this scent is so good that it is just never enough of it and it quickly causes olfactory fatigue.

Wonderful blend of all things I appreciate in mens fragrances - tobacco, amber, coriander with a solid cedar finish. Drydown makes me think of GPH 1 for some reason. I think it has more woods in the base than people give it credit for. No, of course it does not literally smell like GPH at all, but the overall seductive ambience is not unlike the one in Gucci.

19th May, 2014

LoveCologne89's avatar

One thing I truly adore about this cologne is the mature man can pull it off as well as a younger male like myself. Almost powdery like scent it's projection isn't the best almost disappointing but the longevity is amazing. Besides one flaw in which I can personally point out it's an amazing scent. Really recommended for evening wear.

14th April, 2014

Odeon's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

The One is an intimate fragrance but I would be anosmic to say "no projection or longevity". This is certainly not the case and I am still smelling a single spray at arm's length after 4 hours. If you are looking for a ghetto-blaster fragrance then look elsewhere, because The One to me is about the romancing of one special person. It is an olfactory love letter intended only for the one person whom you desire. I find myself wanting to be closer to the scent. It offers a game of chase to its recipient who must come closer for the mystery to be revealed. The notes are warm, soft and seamlessly blended. The fragrance makes a strong statement without being obtrusive. The One is perfectly suited for romantic wear, special occasions, and those who prefer discrete everyday wear.

26th March, 2014

tjarksd's avatar

Great smell. Good for work or dates where you're up close together. I'm not good at detecting specific top, middle, and base notes. To me this scent is spectacular from application through the drying process, and right up to when it disappears.

Longevity varies on the person and how it's applied I guess. It's best for me with a couple spritzes on my shirt and one to each of the inside of my forearms. I usually get 4 hrs or so. The One holds on cotton fabric much longer than on my skin.

I try not to do my wrists and the bottom of my forearms because I sit in a cube at a keyboard most of the time. Fragrance from those locations just end up on my desk.

20th March, 2014

marcelopcr's avatar

Just like everyone says. Amazing scent, ok longevity, zero sillage/projection.

06th February, 2014

sega's avatar

I love this scent. On me, it lasted like two days. Longevity is great, smell is great and I think it goes with my ethnicity (Jewish). Maybe it's the color, but my dad really liked it too.

05th January, 2014

Theo's avatar

Nice Scent

I was gifted a bottle of this by a friend and I really like it a lot. I'm not getting the citrus notes that some mention but it does have a nice freshness to it in the top notes that you don't find in a lot of warmer, spicy, woodsy scents. It's very warm in the dry down, and I would consider it as a fall, winter or nighttime scent. I used to wear Kenneth Cole RSVP because a female interest at the time loved it and I think the two are definitely similar. I think the one is warmer, more sophisticated and doesn't have the slightly synthetic quality that RSVP does. For some who like this scent but feel it lacks longevity and projection (which I don't, personally) you might be pleasantly surprised by RSVP, because it has great projection and longevity, but is a bit sweeter. The One has just the right balance of sweet, in my opinion. Over the past few years I've really started to dislike fragrances that are too sweet on my skin. If you're in the same boat, you might give The One a try. Overall, a very well composed fragrance, definitely a thumbs up!

Pros: Warm, woodsy, spicy, but not too strong or sweet
    Cons: Longevity and projection aren't issues for me"

17th October, 2013

imustbreaku's avatar

I just wish it would last

A wonderful, interesting frag, with great versatility.

It would be a perfect work scent if it lasted more than 2 hours (on my skin, air conditioned office). Definitely signature scent worthy, if only it lasted longer.

Pros: Beautiful, interesting aroma
    Cons: Blink, and its gone"

22nd August, 2013

VincentVega's avatar

Beautiful Scent! Sensual and seductive.

Gorgeous masculine scent! On me it's warm and slightly sweat. I pick up vanilla and fresh mandarin with a hint of spice throughout...with cedar and tobacco notes coming through during dry-down.

Much has been made about the projection. The One projects fine. I'm not sure what the expectations are for cologne projection these days. One popular YouTube reviewer talks about hitting himself with five spays. Wow! Five spays of most anything will send people running in the other direction. Personally, I do not want to leave a vapor trail behind me.

I've worn The One off and on the past couple weeks and have had no issue with it's projection or longevity. For me, 1 spray to the upper chest/neck and 1 to the wrist and I'm good. Lasts eight hours on me. Highly recommend.

Pros: Warm and inviting.
    Cons: None."

18th August, 2013

silentrich's avatar

I own the Platinum version of The One which is a reformulated version of the original. This newer version lasts a bit longer and has a brighter opening. The One has always been a fragrance that most people love, but don't like the lack of projection and longevity. The same can be said of fragrances like Gucci Pour Homme II and Burberry London which are highly regarded by most members. The One is in this same territory. It's one of the best skin scents you can own, but an intense version would be more than welcomed. In its current form The One is still an awesome fragrance that should be in everyone's collection.

24th April, 2013 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2014)

DZUKS's avatar

Has a really sweet and warm smell with a kick. Kinda had a muffin/cookie smell imo. Cuddly smell, and gets compliments.

13th April, 2013

rbaker's avatar

The opening is captivating: a touch of citrus with cardamom and an amber note; the ginger remains in the background on me. The drydown is delightful; I get cardamom, and after the first hour a woody note mixed with light tobacco notes moves into the foreground, with a hint of bitter dryness. The overall impression is that of an extremely smooth, well-blended and rounded composition, that is a medium heavy scent and never cloying. The projection and silage are good, and I get over three hours out if it. One of the truly high-quality designer fragrances.

31st March, 2013

K.O.D.'s avatar

Love love love the smell. Longevity is maybe 4-5 hours. Projection is a bit light. Overall a good year round scent. In the winter I use a little extra to permeate the heavy layers I have to wear in the Chicago winter. Much better scent than D&G Light Blue.

14th January, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Dolce's "The One"... The Spice of Life..?!?!

Dolce's Dolce's "The One" is very pleasant blend of floral, fruit, spice, and woodsy notes with a hint of tobacco, yes tobacco.. There may be similar scents out there, but this One carries the Dolce name, it is a pleasant scent, and is easy on the nose. Very nice..!! While I am more of a fan of aquatic and citrus fragrances, I like this One and have no problem working into the rotation. And too - Sweetie loves it.. She is a fan of the spicy, woodsy, and as she calls it, "manly" fragrances. Obviously, these are worn a little more frequently..

While I have not received compliments outside of Sweetie, One has potential. The fragrance is that good - especially shortly after the initial application. That brings me to my next performance measure - projection/sillage and longevity. Given this is a Dolce fragrance - I have greater expectations. I want this fragrance to get out and let people know I have been there. Is that too much to ask? It is a pleasant scent and it should leave a positive following. I am a little disappointed... The One projects well early on and then fades. The longevity is average at best, lasting only about five (5) hours with only slight detection above the skin and clothing.

The bottle and packaging is first class - nothing short of expectation from Dolce. Out of the box, you know you have a spicy/woodsy fragrance - the bottle is clear, the fragrance is an amber brown, and there is a nice wood grain finish with the cap - great job.. Yes, call me a Geek to notice these things..!!

While most people would suggest this is a fall or winter fragrance, I think One offers great flexibility that allows it be worn any time of year and for any occasion. What can I say - I am comfortable in my own skin..!!

Another issue with One is the price or value. The current rate on Amazon is still over $50.00 for a large bottle - while not bad, with all the choices out there, you can pick up fragrances that are as pleasant, better longevity, at a lower price. It is what it is..!! If you like the high end designers, the expectation is - you pay the higher price. Is (or will) it be worth it - you decide..!!

Final scoring for The One is 4.3 stars out of 5. The One is a great musky/'woodsy' fragrance - If the price/value were better coupled with improved longevity/projection/sillage, my scoring would be higher. Make today count...

13th January, 2013

CASUAL's avatar

This cologne smells great but it does have some really bad longevity. You're better off just buying alot of samples in order to re-apply this as needed. I would recommend checking out Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, it has a very very similar scent but is much better quality, longevity and projection wise.

08th January, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar

Instantly loved this one. Citrus Vanilla and Tobacco are what I mainly pick up with this scent. This isn't really an all day scent and definitely not a hot weather scent. Wearing this makes me think of a cabin in the woods on a snowy evening. I've seen people complaint about projection and longevity but this lasts 8+ on me. I have a 2009 bottle so I don't know if the newer batches have been changed. Wouldn't recommend blind buying this one not everyone will like it but maybe thats a good thing.

05th December, 2012

's avatar

I smell a great ambery tobacco note mainly. It's indeed a good scent, but unluckly lacks in terms of longevity and projection. It's very classy and suitable for all seasons. Definetely a must try.

29th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2013)

coolhandluke87's avatar

Ok... The scent itself is amazing. The base notes are always there. The middle and top notes mix but if you sit and study the smell you can pick them out. I find this to be very wearable, altho it could seem like a older scent. It almost reminds me of something my dad wore, but the new school version (some probably wouldn't like that, but my pops was my hero).
    Like i said, the base shines... My nose can pick out the tobacco, the wood, the amber. The top and middle notes make the spice and the herbal like feel. With the floral note in there to give it the right sweetness. The scent alone makes it a masterpiece imo, but this is where D&G let a lot of people and me down..
    It does a vanishing act that would make Kayser S'o'ze go "what the... Where did it go?"
    It's a scent that smells awesome from the time you spray it on, its gonna develop, its gonna dry drown into something even unbelievable...
    "And like that, POOF! He's gone..."

19th October, 2012

MikeJ's avatar

Sexy in a bottle. This fragrance is a perfect blend of woods and spices, with a hint of sweetness that gives off a "sexy" vibe. Initially I wanted to give The One a neutral rating, solely because of the projection issue. Within an hour, the fragrance can not be detected unless I smell my wrist up close. However, longevity is fine and the scent is gorgeous (perfect date night scent).

25th September, 2012

abethouin's avatar

Wonderful exotic scent, one of my favorite scents in my collection, longevity and projection are spotty however. -AT

25th September, 2012

DON TONY SALERMO's avatar

LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE,,LOVE THE MIX FROM TOBACCO AN GRAPEFRUIT AN CIDER AN ORANGE BLOSSOM THE WHOLE MIX IS VERY MASCULINE AN SENSUAL AN VERY SICILIAN WOMEN LOVE IT AN ITS PERFECT FOR FALL WITH A NICE ITALIAN WOOL SWEATER ON A COOL NIGHT WITH A BEAUTYFULL DATE ENJOYING A DELIOUS PIZZA COOK OVER SOME FINE WOODS IN ITALY WITH A NICE GLASS OF FINE CHIANTI AHHH PRICELESS PERFECT COLONIA FOR A PERFECT TIME,,,

15th September, 2012

jcw122's avatar

This scent smells great. To my inexperienced nose I get a lot of caramel and warm scents that really complement the Fall weather nicely. Unfortunately as others have said the longevity is very poor. Only stays on me a few hours. But lots of sprays might alleviate that.

12th September, 2012 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2014)

Aeroallergen's avatar

This is one of my favorite scents. It is the perfect combination of spice and cedar. It begins with a deep spicy citrus scent that is somewhat invigorating. It continues to please the olfactory sense as the day continues. It is perfect for any occasion. If you are into the "sporty" scents, then this is not going to please you. It brings in compliments from everyone. I hope D&G never stops producing The One!

12th September, 2012

DON LUCCHESSE's avatar

Love this Cologne love it in the winter with a suit or a casual night or in the summer or in fall...gets compliments like crazy an my wife loves it love the grapefruit an the tobacco smell ..

21st August, 2012

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a nice presentation of tobacco-woody notes. It reminds of Vera Wang for men; but this one is thicker, sweeter and stronger.

Its pleasant but overly sweet for my taste. When it was launched I already had Vera Wang for men which is subtler and somewhat more citrusy than this; so I didn't consider adding it o my wardrobe.

Longevity and projection are moderate. It gets 6 out of 10 IMO.

14th July, 2012

synthetic's avatar

A really well-done scent. One of the modern releases in a while.
    Sweet grapefruit opening that dries down to something really unique in which a subtle tobacco and cedar come to the front and gives it a chance to becomes the scent that is instantly recognizable as The One for Men.
    But as many have stated a million times over, the longevity SUCKS. I am not sure if this is was deliberate or not but it really does stop this from being even better. Not asking for powerhouse longevity, just something that lasts longer than the current formula.

13th July, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A great fragrance with very sensual and beautiful smell which unfortunately doesn't last and project very well! :(
    If you love tobacco based fragrances and you're going to buy this because of the tobacco note, hold on a second! this is not a tobacco based fragrance!!
    Yeah, the tobacco is in this fragrance but it's not as strong as you think and also it's surrounded with strong sweet and spicy notes that don't allow to the tobacco note to shine!
    The opening is strong, sweet and spicy. you can smell tobacco note which surrounded with strong and sweet ambre, spicy ginger and only hint of grapefruit notes. very warm and beautiful scent.
    In the drydown the sweetness become stronger and blind other notes and push them in the background.
    It's a linear fragrance, so the smell doesn't change too much.
    It's a safe and very pleasant fragrance but as I said before the longevity and projection of this fragrance isn't that great and that's the worst part of this fragrance. or maybe I can say the only bad thing about it!
    It's sweet but it doesn't have enough power to name it as a winter fragrance. I think it's great for spring and fall and also summer nights.

21st June, 2012