Positive Reviews of The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Classy, distinct fragrance from Dolce & Gabbana!

Reminds me remotely of their By Man scent from a decade ago (now discontinued), with its sweet ginger and floral vibe. Has a nostalgic quality to it akin to scents like Baldessarini Concentrée (except not as loud). I also sense elements of Lagerfeld's Jako in this one, though not as loud and cloying.

The One for Men EdT is an oriental-spicy fragrance that sticks out from the typical offerings you'd find at most larger cologne counters, but it's not for everyone IMO. A test spritz would be in order!

22nd February, 2017 (last edited: 23rd February, 2017)
Tempr Show all reviews
First review. Blind purchase. No regrets. Gets really close to the skin quickly but lasts long on my skin.
18th January, 2017
This is by far my favorite frag! The combination of the amber with a slight tobacco and ginger brings this frag from being just some ordinary frag to a great one!

The dry down is just as good as the initial spray. The initial spray is a little strong but it doesn't last long (30 minutes). After that it is just amazing!!

I would wear this to any occasion- including work. Not really sure if it is date material. I like the frag a lot, but I think that a lot of people know of it and it might be a little too noticeable. I think that you should wear a nice different frag for a date.

Overall: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
Sillage: 6/10

I would get the EDP version to increase longevity and sillage.

**I am actually seriously thinking of making this my signature scent**
07th August, 2016

A very seductive scent, like catnip for females.. Starts with citrus and a very sweet vibe but soon settles down to a coconutty leathery amber.. Stays close to the skin and seduces anyone that gets in close.. Like a Venus fly trap.. Beautiful mainstream amber leather.. Like adg is to aquatics, this is to the amber and leather.. A consumers dream and one I over looked because of the cringe worthy advert.. Eventually bought into things and glad I did.. Better late than never.. Longevity is like any other average edt, I've tried the perfume version and that lasts about 45 mins longer but doesn't project as well and has a sweeter vibe. Better off buying hundred mls edt and going crazy with it. Hugo boss have released an effort in the same vain called (the scent).. Epic fail lol. If your a serial dater this fragrance is your Swiss army knife.
13th June, 2016
In my view, a stone cold classic and right now one of about only four fragrances I would find it hard to do without. The criticisms of performance are misguided; this is not about casting a miasma, but about understated elegance. So your object of desire may have to get up close to smell you... Not really a problem, is it?

I don't get much by way of top notes in that what is listed as the heart is so immediately to the fore. The transition from ginger and orange blossom to the terrific base of cedar, tobacco and ambergris is one of the most seamless transitions I have come across in male perfumery. In fact, I don't remember any scent doing tobacco as sensitively and accessibly as The One.

Nowadays reserved for date nights. Although the EDT is adequate for my needs, I look forward to trying the EDP, which was an unaccountably long time in coming.
30th May, 2016
Elegant and sexy. I get some citrus in the opening and quickly settles into a smooth tobacco bassed scent. It has certain sweetness which makes it really appealing.

Longevity is average on my skin, low sillage though. Overall, a great fragrance that gains many compliments.
03rd May, 2016
There is nothing cheap about this one. Great, classy and elegant scent that gives you confidence and makes you stand out of the boys club.
08th April, 2016
Very nice manly and elegant composition
26th March, 2016
Fantastic fragrance, perfect for casual day wear. Easily makes my top 20 of best smelling fragrances. You know when you just want to smell good? This is one of those fragrances. And the discounting makes it a no-brainer.

The performance issues with this fragrance subsided in my case after the bottle had macerated a couple of months after use.
01st December, 2015
Woody and sweet. I went into the store hoping to buy something else when I stumbled on this. Let's just say I'm glad I got it. For the records, this lasts the whole day on me and projects just fine.
27th November, 2015
bigbz Show all reviews
Not much to say or add, except that after owning/sampling around 350+ different scents over the last 7yrs....this is still my ALL time favorite fragrance for a reason!

The smell contained in this bottle is the best/closest thing this side of heaven that my nose will ever experience. I get a perfectly balanced sweet amber/tobacco accord with a little spice and woods....and sometimes a sweet peppermint note peeks it's head in and joins the party as well.(love it when that happens) 5 stars, two thumbs up masterpiece!!!

Thankfully, I get above average longevity out of it...projection however is a bit lacking after the first few hours. But for something that smells this wonderful, if shy projection is the only thing I can find wrong with it....I can easily live with that.:)
17th November, 2015 (last edited: 18th November, 2015)
Woodsy, gingery and some tobacco in the background.
A bit more on the mature side.

I wore this today on a warm day without hesitation, it is not dark or heavy, on me at least.

In my mind I think of the drydown, after a few hours, as also rather woodsy/creamy. Definitely does not come off as cheap or synthetic.

29th June, 2015
Salutation.

I am generally a fan of D&G fargarances.this fragrance is very famous in my country.when you wear this you smell expensive.

The one is an elegant warm scent.is quite hot.the style is good.top notes is masculine but in my opinion the base is a little feminine!i wear when in the mood romantic.

Ideal for cold weather and definitely for the night for that special dinners with your lover!the bottle is stylish and longevity is around 8 hours on my skin.

Anyway if you are a smart man and looking for a luxurious and elegant fragrance buy this fragrance.

7.5/10
16th May, 2015

Probably my number one 'comfort' scent -- putting this on feels like wearing my favorite pair of jeans... it simply fits just right. Smooth and warm; somehow, the combo of tobacco and cardamom and ginger gives me the atmosphere of baked cookies without a heavy gourmand feel. Imagine eating a muffin on a warm autumn day in the woods -- that's what this scent evokes for me.

Longevity is average (barely), but don't let that scare you away. An all around great scent.
11th March, 2015
This stuff is really top notch,but just doesn't last that long.For that 4 stars and not 5..but the scent is amazing
27th February, 2015
I so wanted to fall in love with The One for Men by D&G, but, alas, it was not to be. Fragrance-wise, it’s wonderful, beautiful, I can’t say enough good about it! Actually probably one of my favorite scents, which is the reason for the Thumbs Up. I don’t have the refined nose of many here so I’m not great at always deciphering all the notes, but at first spray I just got a sweet, spicy vibe (never specifically smelled grapefruit). It did evolve frequently over the course of the drydown, and the end result on me is a soft, beautiful sweet amber and tobacco that I could sniff all day.

The problem for me is that it’s too soft for my personal taste. If you’re the type man who only wants some special girl or guy to smell you when their head is on your chest or snuggled into your neck, then this would work out exceptionally well. I, however, like fragrances with a little more projection. I don’t need to fill the room, but if you’re standing a few feet away in conversation I want you to at least pick up a good whiff, and that doesn’t happen for me with The One. I tend toward drier skin so always use lots of moisturizer, and hoped that would help with the staying power of this but it didn’t seem to. This scent would work very well as a professional office scent since I doubt it would offend anyone and it sits fairly close to the skin on me. I think this could be worn year-round, and might possibly even work as unisex for some women.

When I first put this on, I got a slight projection but after about 4 hours it has dwindled into just a nice skin scent, and I really have to shove my nose into my wrist or tuck my face into my shirt to smell it (I did 2 sprays on chest, 1 on each wrist, and 1 at base of neck). If this had more strength I’d buy a bottle and wear it regularly because I absolutely love how it smells. But, I think I’m going to take a pass on this “One” and hope to find something that may excite my nose as much as this does but with more oomph!

As always, your results may vary!
27th January, 2015
This fragrance is literally perfect for me.

I hate scents worn by teenagers or men that you can smell from miles away such as 1 Million.

I was looking for a classy fragrance that smells good and can be smelt by me and someone close to me...

This is it.

I've tried out Dior Homme (&intense) which I found classy but overpowering and too flowery. Chanel Allure Homme was way too synthetic for me and annoyingly strong.

D&G The One means I won't offend, but compliments my sharp suit, designer watch and winter coat ;)

People moan about longevity but I can smell the fragrance still 10 hours after applying up close.

Happy days :)
11th November, 2014
I've sampled The One several times now and I'm definitely getting the bottle. I for one think this is Dolce & Gabbana's best male frag. I tried pour homme and it just doesn't work as well as The One. The One has a beautiful arrangement of notes and the tobacco dry down is great! As far as projection and longevity of it...I haven't had any issues yet. I really don't know what people want in colognes but sounds like some people want to get smelled all the way across the room. A wise basenoter once told me " not everything is meant to be blasted" this is a nice everyday/ date night scent that is classy as well as relaxed. No harsh note in the beginning no horrible smelling dry down. It's just right! I definitely plan on making thisy fall signature scent.

P.s. If you're having issues with longevity then use lotion and apply it to the spot you want to spray and you should be smelling it for hours. I do this with bvgari black all the time!
09th October, 2014
Wear this one on your arms, then you can enjoy the skin scent all day. The top is beautiful (orange blossom maybe), but it's gone within an hour (maybe half an hour). The there's some powdery perfume smell that can last for a few hours, especially on clothing, and then there's the tobacco dry down that you can only enjoy if you can press your nose into it, which I recommend to get the most out of this fragrance.

Between the top notes dissipating and olfactory fatigue, this juice can be a trial for its wearer. Also, I have smelled this on someone else and I liked it less than I thought I would.

The top on this one is great, and the deodorant stick for this scent smells very good, but the performance of the juice makes it hard for me to give it a thumbs up, but I do, just barely.
08th October, 2014
JimmyP Show all reviews
I do not have a longevity problem with this scent. However, I tend to just "let go" while applying it (roughly 6 sprays total). Usually lasts me all day. Sillage may not be the brightest, but its there. I think this scent is so good that it is just never enough of it and it quickly causes olfactory fatigue.

Wonderful blend of all things I appreciate in mens fragrances - tobacco, amber, coriander with a solid cedar finish. Drydown makes me think of GPH 1 for some reason. I think it has more woods in the base than people give it credit for. No, of course it does not literally smell like GPH at all, but the overall seductive ambience is not unlike the one in Gucci.
19th May, 2014
One thing I truly adore about this cologne is the mature man can pull it off as well as a younger male like myself. Almost powdery like scent it's projection isn't the best almost disappointing but the longevity is amazing. Besides one flaw in which I can personally point out it's an amazing scent. Really recommended for evening wear.
14th April, 2014
The One is an intimate fragrance but I would be anosmic to say "no projection or longevity". This is certainly not the case and I am still smelling a single spray at arm's length after 4 hours. If you are looking for a ghetto-blaster fragrance then look elsewhere, because The One to me is about the romancing of one special person. It is an olfactory love letter intended only for the one person whom you desire. I find myself wanting to be closer to the scent. It offers a game of chase to its recipient who must come closer for the mystery to be revealed. The notes are warm, soft and seamlessly blended. The fragrance makes a strong statement without being obtrusive. The One is perfectly suited for romantic wear, special occasions, and those who prefer discrete everyday wear.
26th March, 2014
Great smell. Good for work or dates where you're up close together. I'm not good at detecting specific top, middle, and base notes. To me this scent is spectacular from application through the drying process, and right up to when it disappears.

Longevity varies on the person and how it's applied I guess. It's best for me with a couple spritzes on my shirt and one to each of the inside of my forearms. I usually get 4 hrs or so. The One holds on cotton fabric much longer than on my skin.

I try not to do my wrists and the bottom of my forearms because I sit in a cube at a keyboard most of the time. Fragrance from those locations just end up on my desk.
20th March, 2014
Just like everyone says. Amazing scent, ok longevity, zero sillage/projection.
06th February, 2014
I love this scent. On me, it lasted like two days. Longevity is great, smell is great and I think it goes with my ethnicity (Jewish). Maybe it's the color, but my dad really liked it too.
05th January, 2014
Theo Show all reviews
Nice Scent

I was gifted a bottle of this by a friend and I really like it a lot. I'm not getting the citrus notes that some mention but it does have a nice freshness to it in the top notes that you don't find in a lot of warmer, spicy, woodsy scents. It's very warm in the dry down, and I would consider it as a fall, winter or nighttime scent. I used to wear Kenneth Cole RSVP because a female interest at the time loved it and I think the two are definitely similar. I think the one is warmer, more sophisticated and doesn't have the slightly synthetic quality that RSVP does. For some who like this scent but feel it lacks longevity and projection (which I don't, personally) you might be pleasantly surprised by RSVP, because it has great projection and longevity, but is a bit sweeter. The One has just the right balance of sweet, in my opinion. Over the past few years I've really started to dislike fragrances that are too sweet on my skin. If you're in the same boat, you might give The One a try. Overall, a very well composed fragrance, definitely a thumbs up!

Pros: Warm, woodsy, spicy, but not too strong or sweet
Cons: Longevity and projection aren't issues for me"

17th October, 2013
I just wish it would last

A wonderful, interesting frag, with great versatility.

It would be a perfect work scent if it lasted more than 2 hours (on my skin, air conditioned office). Definitely signature scent worthy, if only it lasted longer.

Pros: Beautiful, interesting aroma
Cons: Blink, and its gone"

22nd August, 2013
Beautiful Scent! Sensual and seductive.

Gorgeous masculine scent! On me it's warm and slightly sweat. I pick up vanilla and fresh mandarin with a hint of spice throughout...with cedar and tobacco notes coming through during dry-down.

Much has been made about the projection. The One projects fine. I'm not sure what the expectations are for cologne projection these days. One popular YouTube reviewer talks about hitting himself with five spays. Wow! Five spays of most anything will send people running in the other direction. Personally, I do not want to leave a vapor trail behind me.

I've worn The One off and on the past couple weeks and have had no issue with it's projection or longevity. For me, 1 spray to the upper chest/neck and 1 to the wrist and I'm good. Lasts eight hours on me. Highly recommend.

Pros: Warm and inviting.
Cons: None."

18th August, 2013
I own the Platinum version of The One which is a reformulated version of the original. This newer version lasts a bit longer and has a brighter opening. The One has always been a fragrance that most people love, but don't like the lack of projection and longevity. The same can be said of fragrances like Gucci Pour Homme II and Burberry London which are highly regarded by most members. The One is in this same territory. It's one of the best skin scents you can own, but an intense version would be more than welcomed. In its current form The One is still an awesome fragrance that should be in everyone's collection.
24th April, 2013 (last edited: 10th November, 2014)
Has a really sweet and warm smell with a kick. Kinda had a muffin/cookie smell imo. Cuddly smell, and gets compliments.
13th April, 2013