Positive Reviews of The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Find out more about The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Odeon's avatar
    Odeon
    New Zealand New Zealand

The One is an intimate fragrance but I would be anosmic to say "no projection or longevity". This is certainly not the case and I am still smelling a single spray at arm's length after 4 hours. If you are looking for a ghetto-blaster fragrance then look elsewhere, because The One to me is about the romancing of one special person. It is an olfactory love letter intended only for the one person whom you desire. I find myself wanting to be closer to the scent. It offers a game of chase to its recipient who must come closer for the mystery to be revealed. The notes are warm, soft and seamlessly blended. The fragrance makes a strong statement without being obtrusive. The One is perfectly suited for romantic wear, special occasions, and those who prefer discrete everyday wear.

26 March, 2014

tjarksd's avatar
    tjarksd

Great smell. Good for work or dates where you're up close together. I'm not good at detecting specific top, middle, and base notes. To me this scent is spectacular from application through the drying process, and right up to when it disappears.

Longevity varies on the person and how it's applied I guess. It's best for me with a couple spritzes on my shirt and one to each of the inside of my forearms. I usually get 4 hrs or so. The One holds on cotton fabric much longer than on my skin.

I try not to do my wrists and the bottom of my forearms because I sit in a cube at a keyboard most of the time. Fragrance from those locations just end up on my desk.

20th March, 2014

marcelopcr's avatar
    marcelopcr

Just like everyone says. Amazing scent, ok longevity, zero sillage/projection.

06 February, 2014

sega's avatar
    sega

I love this scent. On me, it lasted like two days. Longevity is great, smell is great and I think it goes with my ethnicity (Jewish). Maybe it's the color, but my dad really liked it too.

05 January, 2014

Theo's avatar
    Theo

Nice Scent

I was gifted a bottle of this by a friend and I really like it a lot. I'm not getting the citrus notes that some mention but it does have a nice freshness to it in the top notes that you don't find in a lot of warmer, spicy, woodsy scents. It's very warm in the dry down, and I would consider it as a fall, winter or nighttime scent. I used to wear Kenneth Cole RSVP because a female interest at the time loved it and I think the two are definitely similar. I think the one is warmer, more sophisticated and doesn't have the slightly synthetic quality that RSVP does. For some who like this scent but feel it lacks longevity and projection (which I don't, personally) you might be pleasantly surprised by RSVP, because it has great projection and longevity, but is a bit sweeter. The One has just the right balance of sweet, in my opinion. Over the past few years I've really started to dislike fragrances that are too sweet on my skin. If you're in the same boat, you might give The One a try. Overall, a very well composed fragrance, definitely a thumbs up!

Pros: Warm, woodsy, spicy, but not too strong or sweet
    Cons: Longevity and projection aren't issues for me"

17 October, 2013

imustbreaku's avatar
    imustbreaku

I just wish it would last

A wonderful, interesting frag, with great versatility.

It would be a perfect work scent if it lasted more than 2 hours (on my skin, air conditioned office). Definitely signature scent worthy, if only it lasted longer.

Pros: Beautiful, interesting aroma
    Cons: Blink, and its gone"

22 August, 2013

VincentVega's avatar
    VincentVega

Beautiful Scent! Sensual and seductive.

Gorgeous masculine scent! On me it's warm and slightly sweat. I pick up vanilla and fresh mandarin with a hint of spice throughout...with cedar and tobacco notes coming through during dry-down.

Much has been made about the projection. The One projects fine. I'm not sure what the expectations are for cologne projection these days. One popular YouTube reviewer talks about hitting himself with five spays. Wow! Five spays of most anything will send people running in the other direction. Personally, I do not want to leave a vapor trail behind me.

I've worn The One off and on the past couple weeks and have had no issue with it's projection or longevity. For me, 1 spray to the upper chest/neck and 1 to the wrist and I'm good. Lasts eight hours on me. Highly recommend.

Pros: Warm and inviting.
    Cons: None."

18 August, 2013

DZUKS's avatar
    DZUKS

Has a really sweet and warm smell with a kick. Kinda had a muffin/cookie smell imo. Cuddly smell, and gets compliments.

13 April, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

The opening is captivating: a touch of citrus with cardamom and an amber note; the ginger remains in the background on me. The drydown is delightful; I get cardamom, and after the first hour a woody note mixed with light tobacco notes moves into the foreground, with a hint of bitter dryness. The overall impression is that of an extremely smooth, well-blended and rounded composition, that is a medium heavy scent and never cloying. The projection and silage are good, and I get over three hours out if it. One of the truly high-quality designer fragrances.

31st March, 2013

K.O.D.'s avatar
    K.O.D.

Love love love the smell. Longevity is maybe 4-5 hours. Projection is a bit light. Overall a good year round scent. In the winter I use a little extra to permeate the heavy layers I have to wear in the Chicago winter. Much better scent than D&G Light Blue.

14 January, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar
    OCNBreeze7

Dolce's "The One"... The Spice of Life..?!?!

Dolce's Dolce's "The One" is very pleasant blend of floral, fruit, spice, and woodsy notes with a hint of tobacco, yes tobacco.. There may be similar scents out there, but this One carries the Dolce name, it is a pleasant scent, and is easy on the nose. Very nice..!! While I am more of a fan of aquatic and citrus fragrances, I like this One and have no problem working into the rotation. And too - Sweetie loves it.. She is a fan of the spicy, woodsy, and as she calls it, "manly" fragrances. Obviously, these are worn a little more frequently..

While I have not received compliments outside of Sweetie, One has potential. The fragrance is that good - especially shortly after the initial application. That brings me to my next performance measure - projection/sillage and longevity. Given this is a Dolce fragrance - I have greater expectations. I want this fragrance to get out and let people know I have been there. Is that too much to ask? It is a pleasant scent and it should leave a positive following. I am a little disappointed... The One projects well early on and then fades. The longevity is average at best, lasting only about five (5) hours with only slight detection above the skin and clothing.

The bottle and packaging is first class - nothing short of expectation from Dolce. Out of the box, you know you have a spicy/woodsy fragrance - the bottle is clear, the fragrance is an amber brown, and there is a nice wood grain finish with the cap - great job.. Yes, call me a Geek to notice these things..!!

While most people would suggest this is a fall or winter fragrance, I think One offers great flexibility that allows it be worn any time of year and for any occasion. What can I say - I am comfortable in my own skin..!!

Another issue with One is the price or value. The current rate on Amazon is still over $50.00 for a large bottle - while not bad, with all the choices out there, you can pick up fragrances that are as pleasant, better longevity, at a lower price. It is what it is..!! If you like the high end designers, the expectation is - you pay the higher price. Is (or will) it be worth it - you decide..!!

Final scoring for The One is 4.3 stars out of 5. The One is a great musky/'woodsy' fragrance - If the price/value were better coupled with improved longevity/projection/sillage, my scoring would be higher. Make today count...

13 January, 2013

CASUAL's avatar
    CASUAL

This cologne smells great but it does have some really bad longevity. You're better off just buying alot of samples in order to re-apply this as needed. I would recommend checking out Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, it has a very very similar scent but is much better quality, longevity and projection wise.

08 January, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar
    Robzrx7

Instantly loved this one. Citrus Vanilla and Tobacco are what I mainly pick up with this scent. This isn't really an all day scent and definitely not a hot weather scent. Wearing this makes me think of a cabin in the woods on a snowy evening. I've seen people complaint about projection and longevity but this lasts 8+ on me. I have a 2009 bottle so I don't know if the newer batches have been changed. Wouldn't recommend blind buying this one not everyone will like it but maybe thats a good thing.

05 December, 2012

's avatar

I smell a great ambery tobacco note mainly. It's indeed a good scent, but unluckly lacks in terms of longevity and projection. It's very classy and suitable for all seasons. Definetely a must try.

29 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2013)

coolhandluke87's avatar
    coolhandluke87

Ok... The scent itself is amazing. The base notes are always there. The middle and top notes mix but if you sit and study the smell you can pick them out. I find this to be very wearable, altho it could seem like a older scent. It almost reminds me of something my dad wore, but the new school version (some probably wouldn't like that, but my pops was my hero).
    Like i said, the base shines... My nose can pick out the tobacco, the wood, the amber. The top and middle notes make the spice and the herbal like feel. With the floral note in there to give it the right sweetness. The scent alone makes it a masterpiece imo, but this is where D&G let a lot of people and me down..
    It does a vanishing act that would make Kayser S'o'ze go "what the... Where did it go?"
    It's a scent that smells awesome from the time you spray it on, its gonna develop, its gonna dry drown into something even unbelievable...
    "And like that, POOF! He's gone..."

19 October, 2012

MikeJ's avatar
    MikeJ

Sexy in a bottle. This fragrance is a perfect blend of woods and spices, with a hint of sweetness that gives off a "sexy" vibe. Initially I wanted to give The One a neutral rating, solely because of the projection issue. Within an hour, the fragrance can not be detected unless I smell my wrist up close. However, longevity is fine and the scent is gorgeous (perfect date night scent).

25 September, 2012

abethouin's avatar
    abethouin

Wonderful exotic scent, one of my favorite scents in my collection, longevity and projection are spotty however. -AT

25 September, 2012

DON TONY SALERMO's avatar
    DON TONY SALERMO

LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE,,LOVE THE MIX FROM TOBACCO AN GRAPEFRUIT AN CIDER AN ORANGE BLOSSOM THE WHOLE MIX IS VERY MASCULINE AN SENSUAL AN VERY SICILIAN WOMEN LOVE IT AN ITS PERFECT FOR FALL WITH A NICE ITALIAN WOOL SWEATER ON A COOL NIGHT WITH A BEAUTYFULL DATE ENJOYING A DELIOUS PIZZA COOK OVER SOME FINE WOODS IN ITALY WITH A NICE GLASS OF FINE CHIANTI AHHH PRICELESS PERFECT COLONIA FOR A PERFECT TIME,,,

15 September, 2012

Aeroallergen's avatar
    Aeroallergen

This is one of my favorite scents. It is the perfect combination of spice and cedar. It begins with a deep spicy citrus scent that is somewhat invigorating. It continues to please the olfactory sense as the day continues. It is perfect for any occasion. If you are into the "sporty" scents, then this is not going to please you. It brings in compliments from everyone. I hope D&G never stops producing The One!

12 September, 2012

DON LUCCHESSE's avatar
    DON LUCCHESSE

Love this Cologne love it in the winter with a suit or a casual night or in the summer or in fall...gets compliments like crazy an my wife loves it love the grapefruit an the tobacco smell ..

21st August, 2012

msi_21's avatar
    msi_21
    Iran Iran

This is a nice presentation of tobacco-woody notes. It reminds of Vera Wang for men; but this one is thicker, sweeter and stronger.

Its pleasant but overly sweet for my taste. When it was launched I already had Vera Wang for men which is subtler and somewhat more citrusy than this; so I didn't consider adding it o my wardrobe.

Longevity and projection are moderate. It gets 6 out of 10 IMO.

14 July, 2012

synthetic's avatar
    synthetic

A really well-done scent. One of the modern releases in a while.
    Sweet grapefruit opening that dries down to something really unique in which a subtle tobacco and cedar come to the front and gives it a chance to becomes the scent that is instantly recognizable as The One for Men.
    But as many have stated a million times over, the longevity SUCKS. I am not sure if this is was deliberate or not but it really does stop this from being even better. Not asking for powerhouse longevity, just something that lasts longer than the current formula.

13 July, 2012

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

A great fragrance with very sensual and beautiful smell which unfortunately doesn't last and project very well! :(
    If you love tobacco based fragrances and you're going to buy this because of the tobacco note, hold on a second! this is not a tobacco based fragrance!!
    Yeah, the tobacco is in this fragrance but it's not as strong as you think and also it's surrounded with strong sweet and spicy notes that don't allow to the tobacco note to shine!
    The opening is strong, sweet and spicy. you can smell tobacco note which surrounded with strong and sweet ambre, spicy ginger and only hint of grapefruit notes. very warm and beautiful scent.
    In the drydown the sweetness become stronger and blind other notes and push them in the background.
    It's a linear fragrance, so the smell doesn't change too much.
    It's a safe and very pleasant fragrance but as I said before the longevity and projection of this fragrance isn't that great and that's the worst part of this fragrance. or maybe I can say the only bad thing about it!
    It's sweet but it doesn't have enough power to name it as a winter fragrance. I think it's great for spring and fall and also summer nights.

21st June, 2012

smell_it's avatar
    smell_it

What an incredible smelling cologne with the unfortunate ability to project as well or better than other decent smelling colognes at a fraction of the price. This cologne smells incredible. Where Dolce and Gabbana missed the boat on this one was in intensity.
    My advice to the house of Dolce and Gabbana would be to amp this fragrance up with the longevity and projection of a Le Male or A Men fragrance and D&G will have scored an A+++ and may even be the talk of the fragrance community. They have the smell just right. They simply just need to put the other pieces of the puzzle in place. I gave this a higher rating just because I love the aroma of this fragrance. Just need to re-apply throughout the day to thoroughly enjoy.
    D&G The One Intense?????

29 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2012)

inlandemperor's avatar
    inlandemperor

The cardamom and ginger persist after a few minutes of the first spray, and the tropical/orange creaminess of the opening are delightful, and smooth. It's a bit like a soapy lather, where you reach that point of creaminess and are quite content. The fragrance as a whole is definitely getting a thumbs up from me as I love the smell, and on my skin, the longevity and silage are pretty average, but nothing like the 'non existent' longevity and silage from other reviewers. I first sprayed this on my inner wrist over Xmas, and the smell was really banging out, in the cold weather outside, for a good hour! I'm wearing it today, and again, it's frosty weather here in the UK, and the smell is working great after 2 hours. Thumbs up!

14 January, 2012

moseymoose's avatar
    moseymoose

Despite its longevity I'm hard pressed to find any EDT I like more than this, its so seductive and warm, and has two of my favourite spice notes; ginger and cardamon, its such an original fragrance. In fact the only thing that comes close to smelling like this is Hollister SoCal, which isn't as nice, is sweeter and more sickly, and doesn't smell as classy.

But this one has value for me, its a long term favourite that I've been using since spring of 2009, not many people at the time were wearing it, and I still dont think it's that popular, certainly not as popular as Jean Paul Gautier or Hugo Boss. It's become my signature fragrance, and it last a long time when sprayed on clothes and it's such an addictive smell! I sprayed it on my curtains once so that it would woft occasionally lol

09 December, 2011

qwerty82's avatar
    qwerty82

I'm giving this a thumbs up as it is a classy,warm, sweet and well made masculine scent. Not the most powerful of scents by any means. Good for a date. Stays close to the skin after 2 hours.

29 October, 2011

Panther's avatar
    Panther

Partner bought me this, and she likes it on me more than I do to be honest. There's nothing wrong with it, the spice middle notes are its best feature, and there's a luxuriant creamy warm feel to the aroma. One can see why it appears to be popular with many women on their men. However for me it is not interesting and distinctive enough. Should she fork out for another bottle there will be no complaints, but wouldn't buy it for myself. There are preferable options with more umph and wow factor than The One.

12 September, 2011

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

This fragrance whispers class, elegance! It has an opening with grapefruit and ginger, but with a tropical vibe into it, with a reminiscent aroma of coconut. An opening that is almost like a drink combining all these notes.

Imagine this drink being taken at the same time you enjoy a good pipe, with a mixture of a not so strong tobacco leafs, something very soft and pleasant. This is the heart of this fragrance, where there is also a very evident amber note giving a sweet aspect to it.

A delight! The only problem with this fragrance is the longevity. After 4 or 5 hours The One drops out of the skin.

22 August, 2011

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

A good, but very understated, cologne from D&G. It is very discreet and seductive in the dry down.

19 July, 2011