Positive Reviews of Endymion by Penhaligon's

Find out more about Endymion by Penhaligon's in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Buysblind's avatar

Of the different Penhaligon's I've tried, Endymion is certainly my favorite. I really like the way that the coffee note is integrated with the lavender in this. Some fragrances overdo coffee, and others tend to underplay it, where it becomes almost impossible to detect. Endymion hits a nice balance in the middle, and while the coffee note is immediately apparent, it doesn't enter gourmand territory or become foody in any particular way. I think some of this is due to its pairing with lavender, which helps balance it and keep it on a bit of a powdery, aromatic path. This hasn't been doused with sugar and features a lightly spicy, very slight sweetness, Endymion and its well-done coffee note remain elegant and classy throughout, with a bit of a formal feel. I'm very particular when it comes to formal fragrances though, and prefer my every day frags a bit on the "loose" side. That's why I sold off my bottle of Endymion--I just couldn't find the occasions to wear it. It doesn't fit my "formal" preferences, and it's not something I could casually throw on whenever I felt like it. For my casual, non-gourmand coffee choice, I prefer Givenchy Play Intense or Taste of Fragrance. They're a little more fun, in my opinion. However, to be fair, Endymion's really in an entirely different league--the semi-formal gentleman's league. Here, it works well, and shouldn't disappoint if you're looking for an aromatic fragrance that skillfully incorporates coffee while keeping in sync with its mature, polite, and civil tone. Projection and longevity are very good.

11th October, 2014

vitaman's avatar

First I must say that Lucy's review was simply one of the best I've ever read…..had to read it three times.
    Now to Endymion. Received a sample from Penhaligons. Of the 4 samples sent this one stood out. The masculine take on powder is attractive. Liked it until I smelled LP No9 for men by the same House. The top notes of Endymion are clearly superior, but once they die down, LP blows it away. Similar vibe but just more spice, more interesting and longer lasting to boot.

19th February, 2014

ChandlerDeOare's avatar

Review by ChandlerDeOare

I really admire this scent. It needs to be noted though that admiration and enjoyment are two different animals. I had high hopes for this offering from such a distinguished house, I just can't bring myself to enjoy it though because it's fundamentally flawed. There is something endearing about a skin scent that can be enjoyed by the wearer only, simply for personal satisfaction... Endymion would be the perfect peg for that hole if only it were detectable to anyone aside from bloodhounds and hyperosmiacs past the first hour. It is a wonderful combination of soap (Lever 2000 I believe is the closest profile) and powder, in that order. I detect barely any of the stated notes, save for the slightest hint of bergamot in the top, more prominent lavender and a tinge of amber in the middle. There is just a kiss of musk on a vast talc base, and in all it's really a quite distinguished juice, just with painfully little sillage after dry down, and dismal longevity. Disappointing really... If it weren't a matter of price I'd bathe in the stuff several times daily.

Pros: "Clean" "Neither loud or offensive"
    Cons: poor sillage and longevity""

26th October, 2013

Echo777's avatar

Endymion

A very smooth lavender with a mild leather base. It has a lot of spicy notes, without being too sharp. Has a "cool blue" feel to it, which pairs well with the navy colored box. A nice powdery scent that's great for cool fall nights.

02nd July, 2013

Marais's avatar

A light, likeable gourmand/oriental of diminutive proportions. Some warm spice notes and a single coffee granule on a background of lavender & vanilla. Endymion shares some similarities with Kristiansand New York in scent, but its density is more ethereal. It also reminds me of New Haarlem by Bond No 9: nowhere near as potent - but closer to that than La Nuit de L'Homme. Sillage is low; longevity is quite good, even if it is more or less a skin scent for most of the 8 hours I get from 6 sprays. This does render it a reasonable choice for warmer weather where other scents of the same genre might prove cloying. Unisex.

01st May, 2013

oliverkleinmann's avatar

The distinguished gentleman sat at table in his room at 3 Tenpenny Lane, Chelsea, London, enjoying a full English breakfast with extra fresh, black pepper, artfully prepared by the gentleman's kind old landlady, Mrs. Higginbotham. The fresh citrus of his morning Earl Grey was ever so lightly spiced with a sprig of mint. Finishing breakfast, he donned his coat and descended to the lane for his morning stroll. Passing Mr. Mahdian's Persian shop, where the smell of strong coffee laced with nutmeg wafted out to the crisp London air, he approached Ms. Cotswain's flower stand, stopping to smell a fresh geranium, a bouquet of which the young lady had just displayed; its scent mingled with the light emanations of the other flowers and, underlying all, the soft fog rolling off of the nearby Thames. Tipping his hat to Ms. Cotswain and her cart, the distinguished gentleman turned onto the high street and proceeded to St. Mary's, where he was wont to spend an hour in silent meditation. Entering the solemnly lighted church, he knelt at an old wooden pew, surrounded by the smell of centuries old Frankincense, Bibles, and well-groomed and powdered faithful all topped out in their Sunday best. Finally, having paid his respects, the distinguished gentleman set out on business, the peace of a leisurely morning promising another fine day in God's country.

14th November, 2012

Lucy2shoes's avatar

Only twice in my life have I been frozen where I stood by a scent. To cut a long and embarrassing story short, I followed a guy off the London underground when I had no idea where I was, to find out from him what his scent was. And I'm usually pretty shy. The scent was Endymion, and I couldn't help but inhale it the way you inhale a lover's scent with your mouth part open to catch every facet and reflection. Warm, earthy, dreamy yet authoritative and potent. The effect on me may have been exaggerated because the man wearing it was probably the most beautiful man I'd ever seen - either that or his scent made him seem that way. It just made me want to pull his shirt off. I didn't tell him that bit... but I did go and buy his perfume.

09th November, 2012

Oviatt's avatar

Beautifully blended spices and incense stitched together with vetiver and lavender. I detect a subtle coffee note although it is not listed. I also smell tonka. This is a subtle scent, lighter than an evening scent usually is but very beautiful none the less. To me it smells sweeter and more unisex out of the bottle but on the skin it is very masculine with the sage, leather and musk coming to the fore. Surprisingly sexy in the drydown. The mythological reference is a little fanciful for Penhaligon's but is carried through beautifully in the classical urn-shaped label with its funerary draperies and crescent moon in hommage to Selene/Cynthia. The midnight blue and silvery moonlight colors are perfect. Being English, this clearly has everything to do with Keat's Endymion as opposed to the Endymion myth of antiquity, so maybe it isn't too fanciful after all.

A thing of beauty IS a joy forever but sadly, as with most of this house's scents, they fade away all too soon ....

22nd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

For a somewhat gauzy fragrance, ENDYMION seems to have a lot going on underneath. From aromatic, though not particularly herbal, to floral-woodsy with a light kiss of spice, over a dry, resinous and slightly powdery musky base. The blending is immaculate, with no discordant notes overwhelming another. Projection may be modest yet it retains a quiet dignified presence befitting a true Penhaligon classic.

Boring? Not to me it isn't. Some people say it smells like La Nuit. Bah! Endymion is probably what the YSL desperately wants to be. What I find truly amazing about Endymion is its structure. Such is the ethereality of its construct that the fragrance seems to exist on another plane of existence. You don't smell Endymion, you feel it. A pure textural entity. Smooth, fuzzy yet oddly comforting. It is far from sweet but there is a sensuous afterglow about it that recalls the warmth of a lover's touch.

Perhaps it is for the above reasons many wearers are inclined to view it as a nocturnal or romantic scent. For Endymion is the ageless youth who sleeps eternally under the longing gaze of a moon goddess. It sings of dreams long forgotten, gardens of magic and kisses stolen under starlit skies. Well I don't know about that. On me it simply spells S-E-X-Y.

25th March, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

It sits on the skin like a powdery chocolate coffee, that has a fresh spicy light gourmand feel to it. I like it but it feels like a fragrance that has been watered down and you just wish the ingredients were more thicker and lush. It leaves you wanting more.

09th February, 2012

mrblah's avatar

I've owned a few Penhaligon fragrances, and pretty much sampled all of them. To me, Endymion is one of the most versatile fragrances in their line up, and because of its versatility, it can be somewhat "boring". It seems that all the other Penhaligon fragrances are so complex that you can't wear them all the time (LP No 9, Opus 1870). Endymion is as complex as it can while still appealing to the general masses.

Endymion starts off with a sweet floral note, and becomes very powdery and dry, with subtle hints of amber and musk. It really is a beautiful, and clean smelling, but it is not very complex (the notes don't change drastically). Because of this, people complain that this Endymion not sophisticated enough to be in Penhaligon's lineup, or it smells like another "designer fragrance", and I have to kind of agree with them.

However, Endymion is extremely versatile. You can wear it year around and in any setting. Its also a great fragrance to introduce people to the Penhaligon's lineup, because while it is not a complex frag, it is a very beautiful scent that anyone can pull this fragrance off.

I find once people try Endymion, they are more open to trying other fragrances from Penhaligons.

I

02nd October, 2011

Naed_Nitram's avatar

A magical scent from the House of Penhaligon. A mysterious castle in an enchanted forest. The old nurse muttering incantations. The ancient chamber of the heir. A whisper of cloves amid the flowered, ethereal gardens? That fairy tunnel through the trees. And, strangely enough, not only highly poetic but also extremely wearable.

01st August, 2011

nenuquito's avatar

While the classic Penhaligon's fragrance is always going to be associated with a step back in time to smell all things victorian the newer, more modern fragrances clearly have to fit into a more contemporary mould. Yet it doesn't necessarily mean they lose their originality or that they do actually smell rather good.

Like their CK One clone Quercus, Endymion is reminiscent of Lynx, but its still smells irresistible; a gorgeous fusion of sweet spices, vanilla and deep woody notes. It isn't trying to be individual, nor is it trying to be original, yet one spritz and it is difficult for your senses not to feel indulged. Because the houses' scents are never heavy(and therefore don't last so long), this actually works in Endymion's favour as it is light enough to wear during the day and grab some compliments (as I always do), or let its dark, deep warmth take you out for the night.

Certainly one of the houses' more favourable offerings for the modern cologne wearer.

18th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd January, 2010)

PCB01's avatar

This was my introduction to Penhaligon, and I was immediately seduced. Friends, family, and coworkers are united in their praise of this scent. A frequent reaction is, "I've never smelled anything like that," clearly meant in a positive way.

Endymion is warm , approachable, welcoming, soft, and comforting in a way that no other fragrance, in my experience has ever been. Nothing about it says, "I'm a mountain meadow," or, "What's up, good lookin?'" or, "I'm a really important guy, so start scraping." It seems less focused on the wearer, and more of an invitation to anyone around him to come and join the share the warmth.

The house style at Penhaligon seems to be either austere and distant (e.g., Blenheim) or, like this one, accepting and personable. There is a place for both, I suspect.

I'll leave the composition analysis to others. Parsing individual elements of a scent is not something I'm good at or much interested in, any more than I'd care to concentrate on what the woodwinds are doing and miss the symphony as a whole.

19th March, 2009

jonnyt's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

I think this is a great 'stepping stone' fragrance, a good example to give to someone who normally wears CK or YSL and is interested in more classic fragrances but isn't yet ready for anything too exotic or unusual.
    With the lavender, amber and vanilla, it is almost too soft but the beautifully balanced heart and base notes have a much tighter hold on things than the mass market frags that this resembles. If you think this smells generic, you owe it to yourself to try it again and keep smelling throughout the development to see how really well this is made.

12th March, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

I’ve worn Endymion about 20 times thus far, but somehow I have never gotten around to reviewing it. Unlike most scents in my collection, I think of Endymion as primarily a nocturnal scent – I prefer to wear it at bed time. To me, it integrates sensual and introspective aspects, an unusual mix that comes together here. I suppose the thing that continues to strike me is the coffee note. Reviewer foetidus aptly describes it as a “deep brooding Mandeling-like note. A bit potent for an EdC, the opening can be a bit too sweet if overapplied. I also enjoy tempered presentation of the spice notes (e.g., nutmeg, pepper and sage) and the creamy character of the scent as whole.

31st January, 2009

gerbert's avatar

oops, I meant Escada not Hererra . . . doh!

12th August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

If you're looking for the coffee note and expecting real coffee then you'll be pleasantly surprised that this is one of those expensive cappuccinos with a blend of herbs and spices. Soothing and calming, the lavender and sage excite the mentalities. Warming with a vanilla base. I believe this is the best of Penhaligon's more contemporary line.

08th June, 2008

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Well... it does smell quite a lot like generic "cool and fresh" men's cologne. But it's well done and very agreeable, with no harsh or sharp notes. A pleasant blend of citrusy/aquatic, lightly herbal/spicy, subtly floral and smoothly leathery. It's probably the warm leather base that saves it for me, gives it some interest. My girlfriend liked it even more than I did so I gave my sample to her.

08th June, 2008

JackTwist's avatar

This is a superb oriental. Although lily is not listed as an ingredient, I detect something similar to it as a sensual undercoating to the whole affair. The spices and florals meld perfectly with the incense and wood notes, making it one of the very best orientals out there. Definitely worth a try.

16 notes:

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin, Lavender, Sage
    Middle: Geranium, Coffee
    Base: Vetiver, Nutmeg, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Musk, Leather, Sandalwood, Incense, Frankincense, Myrrh

11th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th July, 2011)

tvlampboy's avatar

Creamy, sweet and spicy all at once, very much along the lines of Gucci's Envy and Ricci's Ricci Club. A frag better suited for romance than business, though. Excellent sillage; average longevity.

10th January, 2008

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

i won't write an essay on this. Suffice to say its fairly fresh, sweet, warm and modern to the point of thinking why pay this price when you can have Calvib Klein for half? Even the so-called established co's sell out to meet what the market wants. Nice, though, for anytime.

17th June, 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

While being first appalled during the first try, perceiving it as far too sweet and powdery, up to the point of being repulsive and sickening, the more it interacted with my skin, the more i loved it. Yes, it is sweet, beyond any doubt, but it exhales that refined, moderate, extremely lightful, sparking, blissfull, cutting-edge sweetness, like few other male scents- among whom Roma Uomo, Uomo by Moschino, Escada, Ungaro III, JPG Le Male or Dali's Roy Soleil- were capable to capture. Needless to say, it's beyond any doubt a few degrees more exquisite and high-class than most or all of these scents. <br>Iconic for the notion of winter and/or evening scent- its complex aromatic drydown reminding of the olfactory joys various winter spices can bring. The name stands for British high-end sophistication, reminescent of Keats's literary work about a strangely, innaccessibly beautiful youth. While Blenheim Bouquet stands for the robust, middle-aged, socially, intellectually, personally fulfilled, almost age-and timeless dandy which already has achieved an unquestionable perfection, Endymion is the far younger, more androgynous, effeminate, ever changing and unpredictable dandy. It really smells effeminate like a glam rock superstar, but so stylish and little common, that, while it sparingly reminds of goth or metrosexual elemets, it's so many steps and classes beyond these to youth cultures, that it renders them primitive like parasites compared to an exotic, nearly extinct noble species, or a simple, average Joe-human compared to the Superhuman. It embodies both the British cult for effeminate manhood, dating back to the Elizabethan age, reaching it's peak during romanticism, decadentism and sybolism, and still being carried on by mods, glam-rockers or even today, but also in the showy yet exquisite display of rich and above all costly essences, seasoning, fragrant and edible ingredients dating back to the age when Britain was the flagship of colonial power, importing only the best of the best of the world's riches in order to suit the tastes of a continously eccentric and pleasure-seeking upper class. So, daring in its off-beat, revolutionary ( or rather evolutionare towards the supreme flagship and superhuman of the fragrance world) avant-garde but, for at least two reasons, deeply rooted in British tradition. Tradition and modernity at their best, perfectly combined: tradition opened to modern elements, modernity dwelling on the most worthy traditional values. <br>Endymion is a combination of all contrasts: carnal and provocative like a permanently aroused pubescent, yet more distant than an unnatainable star or diva, elusive and restrained not due to shyness but to a cunning and manipulative way, delicate but domieering and undoutedly superior and impossible to grasp or predict, yet never bossy or arrogant, it exhales the cold, dim yet hauting light of diamonds, demons, stars and the wintertime sun- it sparkles in a cold, distant, yet truogh it's mystery, also challenging, provocative way( the unique, cool but glittering spark of genius and immortality). A youth more mysterious than a Romantic poet, more cruel than Cesare Borgia, more outlandish than Ziggy Stardust, more seductive than Valmont or Sade, more ambitious than Julien Sorel and, above all this, more abstract and idealized than the most non-figurative religion, work of art or philosophical concept. After disscussing the - apperantly redundant, but extremely versatile and relevant- cultural, aesthetic, immaterial subtexts, i feel that the actual fragrance notes only confirm these statements. Uncommon, never too cheap or offensive sweetness, powdery drydown that never smells musty, dirty dusty, stuffy or cluttered. Refined spicy warmth, tough a moderate, armotaic touch of rare essences, exhaling that cold, wintery sparkle of demonic beauty and brilliant intellect mentioned above. These aromatic notes have a subtle, almost ozonic, oothing drydown, reminding of vanilla and other traditional winter spices, also slight touch of wood, but also a moderately bitter and dry edible note- coffee and cocoa combined, yet nothing nearto many mass market scents capitalizing on edible notes: here i never actually smelled a faithfull, 100% percent imitation of coffee, cocoa or vanilla deserts, i just guessed a very discreet hint of raw, unprocessed essence of the most expensive, precious, luxurious vanilla, cocoa or coffee. Also, a certain touch, yet only marginally edible-style of toffee, combined or increased by musky tones, and, as uncommon it might seem ( for this is a usually overtly masculine, sometimes rugged and potent ingredient), touches of leather, but, from the leathery note, only a mild, mellow, full-bodied sweetness and an effusive, but never too strong or heavy, just distant, unnatainable sensation of warmth being kept. The spicy notes also include woody and almost incense-like notes of pepper and other winter spices, which, however, are never too pungent or excessively aromatic, as their are combined into a softer, more balanced background correcting, neutralizing every excessive or overspiced note- it all seems to melt down into a bath of aloe vera, Neroli or lavender, adding a certain aquatic softness to the otherwise to harsh display of too spicy notes- indeed some cooling, watery, airy and almost neutral base. <br>Basically, this scent is also a more modern, more daring, yet never watered down-version( unlike many "eau" or "acqua" versions of established scents, chiefly extremely watered down and synthetic parodies, distorsions of exquisite classics) of Hammam Bouquet or Opus 1870- while it's never a cheap copy of these two, not even a lighter, more casual re-enactement. The similarities don't go further that all the three scents include, in different combinations and differently concentrated sveral sweet, leathery and aromatic notes, but , in my opinion, in Endymion they are at their best and show fragrance notes beyond the most daring, but also beyond the most elitist achievements of perfume-making.

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2008)

Excellent sage / lavender opening—smooth, rich, refined. Both the sage and the lavender are presented with a confident, warm creamy feel and the aromatic contribution of the sage lightens the accord even though the notes are masculine and substantial. There are hints of black pepper in the opening that adds to the richness of the scent. I first missed the coffee note of the middle, because I was looking a Rochas Man type coffee. Then I came to realize that the coffee note is there—it is a deep brooding Mandeling-like note that acts more as a substantial masculine platform to the other notes than as a prominent front stage element. Used this way, the coffee doesn’t fire the appetite but it certainly is seductive. Here is where I begin to feel the sensuality of the fragrance. The nutmeg and geranium of the middle are quite tame, but do their part to broaden and enrich the background. The base notes are also excellent—excellent and sensual. There are a rich leather and vetiver, highlighted by pepper and tonka, that result in an accord that approaches lasciviousness. Wow. I have no idea why this combination of notes should be so, but it is extraordinarily sensual. Unfortunately, even though the opening and the middle have substantial longevity, that wonderful base ebbs out too quickly.

18th June, 2006

nase's avatar

Germany Germany

I really think, this is uni-sex. In fact I would like it more on a woman than on a man. Maybe a very young man, a 16 year old James Dean type could wear it - as well as Kate Moss in the early Obsession promotion pictures should have smelled. Maybe it's a perfume for young people up to 35 years. You can hardly imagine a 50 year old man or woman wearing this scent.
    But for young people, it's wonderful, soft, light warm and delicious and sexy, wonderfully balanced and very long lasting.

17th June, 2006

dandush's avatar

comapring this exquisite fragance with Body Kouros doesn't do Endymion justice. Endymion is a very impressive, sweet and mild modern fragrance. It reminds me of Burberyy's touch in some aspects but it's much better! Endymion is a unqiue and impressive scent.

08th August, 2005

Santemon's avatar

This is a lovely scent which deserves to be more popular. It is very easy to wear with an initial spicy freshness which is not citrussy at all. The cologne then develops a soft sweetness which evolves into slightly headier but never overwhelming notes of leather and musk. A scent which develops and lingers and refreshingly does not beat you over the head with its notes and hidden depths. I had thought it a scent for evening wear, but the more often I use it the more versatile it seems to me.

08th January, 2004

solar's avatar

Endymion is a really soft and sweet scent. It reminds me of Body Kouros, but doesn't have the dark incense trail to it. Its definitely a romantic occassion scent, and worked a treat with a walk in the park during autumn.

29th November, 2003