Positive Reviews of Endymion by Penhaligon's

I wore Endymion a few more times. It's a nice fragrance. But, I thought my brother would enjoy it more than I would, so I gifted him a full bottle. I was using a sample to test it out over the last few weeks. He loved it, and I always love to see a fragrance find a home where it will be appreciated the most. :)

Endymion is nice...but it's not as nice as I was hoping for. To be fair, I need to give it more time before I have a firm grasp of it's character. I like it much better in the dry down than I do in the opening. I pick up a synthetic wood smell that I'm not crazy about, and I believe the musk note and possibly the cardamon note reminds me of the Amouage house vibe that I dislike so much. I'll give it a few more attempts, but even with all that said, it still has a decent dry down and when it becomes a skin scent, it's pretty nice.
12th January, 2017 (last edited: 31st January, 2017)
Great fragrance; you can get the same aroma for less in Armani Black Code. I couldn't help but think about Armani Black Code--perhaps, the newer reformulation and recent name change, Armani Code!
26th November, 2016
A delicate classy Oriental scented coffee that will fade away then reignite. When you catch it's hand you are in a sort of exotic dreamy Oriental/coffee scented cloud. This really is a remarkable scent when you have time to appreciate it's structure and note breakdown, I wear this in bed a lot of the time, like versace the dreamer I have to be in a relaxing situation to fully appreciate these thought provoking scents. I think the truelly great scents are the scents that make you think and connect with images and ideas, they transport you to places you have previously been or seem to have an idea of how it will be.
14th April, 2016 (last edited: 05th June, 2017)

One of the most (or should I say, “few”) intriguing fragrances by Penhaligon’s together with Sartorial, both sharing the same peculiar feature – showing a sort of deceptive designer-oriented nature, but creatively elaborating it with what I’d personally consider an interesting and very compelling “artistic” twist (sorry for that, I hate the concept of “artistry” applied to fragrances; don’t take it too literally, it’s just meant to refer to the creativity involved in this). Endymion is basically a very gentle, impeccable, sophisticated and truly British in spirit sort of plushy powdery-gourmand Oriental scent with a fantastic smooth bergamot opening and a coffee-infused, musky-woody and slightly honeyed-resinous foundation, that overall undoubtedly contains echoes of many designers – from YSL La Nuit de l’Homme to Zegna Intenso to the drydown of Rochas Man, but it wouldn’t really be fair to compare them. There’s echoes, they may share a similar sort of inspiration, but that is really not enough to make a proper of comparison in my opinion, as their “substance” differs enormously. Endymion has a whole different quality and texture, which briefly put, is better – or well, surely more fascinating. It smells at once more substantial than them (except for Rochas Man maybe, that was a masterpiece already), more crisp, more quality, and most of all delightfully more ethereal, impalpable, boundless and sophisticated. “Emptier yet fuller”, if that makes sense. And it’s not simply a matter of lightness, I think it’s just a whole different approach and construction, and that’s what marks the difference.

As Diamondflame brilliantly explained below in fact, Endymion belongs to that small family of “airy”, weightless (yet more than substantial and rich in character) scents together with Hermès Cuir d’Ange or Prada Infusion d’Iris: stuff which doesn’t smell like a “normal” blend of notes, just rather a unique heavenly whiff of “pure scent”, which you’ve to take and enjoy for, well, just what it is – in which the materials are so good and blended so effortlessly well and out of any formal pattern, that you only get “it”, as a whole. And that’s truly a delightfully poetic effect on skin, as you almost feel you aren’t wearing a fragrance – you rather feel surrounded by an impalpable, almost nondescript yet perfectly detectable and enjoyable scented aura of distinguished lavendery-gourmand British class, tightly blended and masterfully balancing a sort of “double cleanness” – clean zesty top notes of bergamot, clean “laundry-talc” musk and soapy sandalwood on the base notes, wrapped around a warm, velvety heart of lavendery-gourmand-herbal elegance with a perfectly mannered shade of woody smoke (which will arise more prominently on the drydown). It’s warm, sunny, cozy like an English sunset. It feels familiar, but unique. Truly irresistible. I’m probably over-romanticizing this and I am not sure if I made some sense with my description, but just I enjoy immensely the way Endymion disguises its evocative uniqueness under a deceptive, easy-to-dismiss designer-oriented look. And regardless of that it just smells fantastic, surely more on the discreet side of the spectrum projection-wise (albeit quite persistent), but it fits the scent and the inspiration perfectly. A lovely uplifting gem.

8,5/10
12th January, 2016
Endymion is liquid sincerity in a bottle. Something about it just projects virtue, and authenticity. It is subtle, classy, sophisticated and even sexy, but in the least pretentious way possible. I would absolutely recommend a blind-buy if you are considering doing so, especially for any guy out there who considers himself more gentleman than player, and is looking to impress the kind of woman who appreciates the former. This is definitely daily/signature scent-worthy, and I think could be worn for every occasion and in every season. It is unique, but at the same time virtually impossible not to like.

If the projection and longevity were as good as they should be for a niche at this price, then this would be 10/10 for me. As is, these are the only negatives to this fragrance. Assuming Penhaligon's never gives us an EDT or EDP version, I'd recommend applying liberally.

Absolute must-have.
18th December, 2015 (last edited: 19th December, 2015)
Endymion is a nice warm weather scent that I at first didn't care for but after several wearings, find quite nice. It's a combination of lavender, vanilla, and clove, with the clove seeming to fight with the vanilla for control of the lavender and nobody winning in the end. The composition falls between clean laundry and barbershop. Perhaps nothing entirely original, but modern and gentlemanly none the less. It faintly reminds me of Reflection Man, but with a clove note.

Performance is acceptable, but not great, even on a ninety degree plus day. Like most fragrances from this house, it devolves into a skin scent after the first hour, but a trace spray on clothing improves longevity. A definite crowd pleaser, but a debatable purchase for me. Have to sample this one further.
24th November, 2015 (last edited: 14th September, 2016)
There is a honeyed warm but not too sweet, mesmerizing well polished woods mellow tone of the fragrance Endymion. Endymion is a fairly common mens cologne combination of fougere elements lavender, vetiver, leather and amber which reminds me of classic brands popular in my youth such as Habit Rouge; this from the basic structure and primary notes. Like Habit Rouge there are plenty of punctuating accessory notes to bring depth and mystery to this otherwise common sweet mellow masculine. Endymion has deceptive depth and maturity while not presenting anything very obvious. Notes of pepper, cardamom, leather and musk keep the attitude dry and very experienced while still appearing simple but well assembled. The well dressed man could ask for nothing more than this. The aroma is very comforting, even sexy in a warm animal way, but also complicated and dry, sometimes salty, to give the impression of experience and wisdom to the wearer. It has taken me some time to warm up to this classic smelling scent, but I have changed my opinion with a 180 degree turnabout from indifference to appreciated acceptance. Endymion along with the newer, Lothair both elevate Penhaligon's reputation for solid traditional, respectably proper British mens fragrance. Endymion would made a fine signature scent due to its reserved understated and winning attitude.
23rd July, 2015 (last edited: 03rd July, 2016)
Endymion is my first cologne from Penhaligon. It is a beautiful lavender based cologne. At first spray it gives off a blast of lavender with citrus and spices. The dry down is very comforting, that is when the true lavender shines. I can get a wiff now and then and it makes me and my nose very happy. For a cologne it has good silage and last 5-6 hours on me. Beautiful!
06th March, 2015
I love this fragrance. It's ambiguous, very fine and it makes me feel like and old roue.
03rd March, 2015
Of the different Penhaligon's I've tried, Endymion is certainly my favorite. I really like the way that the coffee note is integrated with the lavender in this. Some fragrances overdo coffee, and others tend to underplay it, where it becomes almost impossible to detect. Endymion hits a nice balance in the middle, and while the coffee note is immediately apparent, it doesn't enter gourmand territory or become foody in any particular way. I think some of this is due to its pairing with lavender, which helps balance it and keep it on a bit of a powdery, aromatic path. This hasn't been doused with sugar and features a lightly spicy, very slight sweetness, Endymion and its well-done coffee note remain elegant and classy throughout, with a bit of a formal feel. I'm very particular when it comes to formal fragrances though, and prefer my every day frags a bit on the "loose" side. That's why I sold off my bottle of Endymion--I just couldn't find the occasions to wear it. It doesn't fit my "formal" preferences, and it's not something I could casually throw on whenever I felt like it. For my casual, non-gourmand coffee choice, I prefer Givenchy Play Intense or Taste of Fragrance. They're a little more fun, in my opinion. However, to be fair, Endymion's really in an entirely different league--the semi-formal gentleman's league. Here, it works well, and shouldn't disappoint if you're looking for an aromatic fragrance that skillfully incorporates coffee while keeping in sync with its mature, polite, and civil tone. Projection and longevity are very good.
11th October, 2014
First I must say that Lucy's review was simply one of the best I've ever read…..had to read it three times.
Now to Endymion. Received a sample from Penhaligons. Of the 4 samples sent this one stood out. The masculine take on powder is attractive. Liked it until I smelled LP No9 for men by the same House. The top notes of Endymion are clearly superior, but once they die down, LP blows it away. Similar vibe but just more spice, more interesting and longer lasting to boot.
19th February, 2014
Review by ChandlerDeOare

I really admire this scent. It needs to be noted though that admiration and enjoyment are two different animals. I had high hopes for this offering from such a distinguished house, I just can't bring myself to enjoy it though because it's fundamentally flawed. There is something endearing about a skin scent that can be enjoyed by the wearer only, simply for personal satisfaction... Endymion would be the perfect peg for that hole if only it were detectable to anyone aside from bloodhounds and hyperosmiacs past the first hour. It is a wonderful combination of soap (Lever 2000 I believe is the closest profile) and powder, in that order. I detect barely any of the stated notes, save for the slightest hint of bergamot in the top, more prominent lavender and a tinge of amber in the middle. There is just a kiss of musk on a vast talc base, and in all it's really a quite distinguished juice, just with painfully little sillage after dry down, and dismal longevity. Disappointing really... If it weren't a matter of price I'd bathe in the stuff several times daily.

Pros: "Clean" "Neither loud or offensive"
Cons: poor sillage and longevity""

26th October, 2013
Endymion

A very smooth lavender with a mild leather base. It has a lot of spicy notes, without being too sharp. Has a "cool blue" feel to it, which pairs well with the navy colored box. A nice powdery scent that's great for cool fall nights.

02nd July, 2013

Marais Show all reviews
A light, likeable gourmand/oriental of diminutive proportions. Some warm spice notes and a single coffee granule on a background of lavender & vanilla. Endymion shares some similarities with Kristiansand New York in scent, but its density is more ethereal. It also reminds me of New Haarlem by Bond No 9: nowhere near as potent - but closer to that than La Nuit de L'Homme. Sillage is low; longevity is quite good, even if it is more or less a skin scent for most of the 8 hours I get from 6 sprays. This does render it a reasonable choice for warmer weather where other scents of the same genre might prove cloying. Unisex.
01st May, 2013
The distinguished gentleman sat at table in his room at 3 Tenpenny Lane, Chelsea, London, enjoying a full English breakfast with extra fresh, black pepper, artfully prepared by the gentleman's kind old landlady, Mrs. Higginbotham. The fresh citrus of his morning Earl Grey was ever so lightly spiced with a sprig of mint. Finishing breakfast, he donned his coat and descended to the lane for his morning stroll. Passing Mr. Mahdian's Persian shop, where the smell of strong coffee laced with nutmeg wafted out to the crisp London air, he approached Ms. Cotswain's flower stand, stopping to smell a fresh geranium, a bouquet of which the young lady had just displayed; its scent mingled with the light emanations of the other flowers and, underlying all, the soft fog rolling off of the nearby Thames. Tipping his hat to Ms. Cotswain and her cart, the distinguished gentleman turned onto the high street and proceeded to St. Mary's, where he was wont to spend an hour in silent meditation. Entering the solemnly lighted church, he knelt at an old wooden pew, surrounded by the smell of centuries old Frankincense, Bibles, and well-groomed and powdered faithful all topped out in their Sunday best. Finally, having paid his respects, the distinguished gentleman set out on business, the peace of a leisurely morning promising another fine day in God's country.
14th November, 2012
Only twice in my life have I been frozen where I stood by a scent. To cut a long and embarrassing story short, I followed a guy off the London underground when I had no idea where I was, to find out from him what his scent was. And I'm usually pretty shy. The scent was Endymion, and I couldn't help but inhale it the way you inhale a lover's scent with your mouth part open to catch every facet and reflection. Warm, earthy, dreamy yet authoritative and potent. The effect on me may have been exaggerated because the man wearing it was probably the most beautiful man I'd ever seen - either that or his scent made him seem that way. It just made me want to pull his shirt off. I didn't tell him that bit... but I did go and buy his perfume.
09th November, 2012
Oviatt Show all reviews
Beautifully blended spices and incense stitched together with vetiver and lavender. I detect a subtle coffee note although it is not listed. I also smell tonka. This is a subtle scent, lighter than an evening scent usually is but very beautiful none the less. To me it smells sweeter and more unisex out of the bottle but on the skin it is very masculine with the sage, leather and musk coming to the fore. Surprisingly sexy in the drydown. The mythological reference is a little fanciful for Penhaligon's but is carried through beautifully in the classical urn-shaped label with its funerary draperies and crescent moon in hommage to Selene/Cynthia. The midnight blue and silvery moonlight colors are perfect. Being English, this clearly has everything to do with Keat's Endymion as opposed to the Endymion myth of antiquity, so maybe it isn't too fanciful after all.

A thing of beauty IS a joy forever but sadly, as with most of this house's scents, they fade away all too soon ....
22nd August, 2012 (last edited: 10th September, 2012)
For a somewhat gauzy fragrance, ENDYMION seems to have a lot going on underneath. From aromatic, though not particularly herbal, to floral-woodsy with a light kiss of spice, over a dry, resinous and slightly powdery musky base. The blending is immaculate, with no discordant notes overwhelming another. Projection may be modest yet it retains a quiet dignified presence befitting a true Penhaligon classic.

Boring? Not to me it isn't. Some people say it smells like La Nuit. Bah! Endymion is probably what the YSL desperately wants to be. What I find truly amazing about Endymion is its structure. Such is the ethereality of its construct that the fragrance seems to exist on another plane of existence. You don't smell Endymion, you feel it. A pure textural entity. Smooth, fuzzy yet oddly comforting. It is far from sweet but there is a sensuous afterglow about it that recalls the warmth of a lover's touch.

Perhaps it is for the above reasons many wearers are inclined to view it as a nocturnal or romantic scent. For Endymion is the ageless youth who sleeps eternally under the longing gaze of a moon goddess. It sings of dreams long forgotten, gardens of magic and kisses stolen under starlit skies. Well I don't know about that. On me it simply spells S-E-X-Y.
25th March, 2012
It sits on the skin like a powdery chocolate coffee, that has a fresh spicy light gourmand feel to it. I like it but it feels like a fragrance that has been watered down and you just wish the ingredients were more thicker and lush. It leaves you wanting more.
09th February, 2012
I've owned a few Penhaligon fragrances, and pretty much sampled all of them. To me, Endymion is one of the most versatile fragrances in their line up, and because of its versatility, it can be somewhat "boring". It seems that all the other Penhaligon fragrances are so complex that you can't wear them all the time (LP No 9, Opus 1870). Endymion is as complex as it can while still appealing to the general masses.

Endymion starts off with a sweet floral note, and becomes very powdery and dry, with subtle hints of amber and musk. It really is a beautiful, and clean smelling, but it is not very complex (the notes don't change drastically). Because of this, people complain that this Endymion not sophisticated enough to be in Penhaligon's lineup, or it smells like another "designer fragrance", and I have to kind of agree with them.

However, Endymion is extremely versatile. You can wear it year around and in any setting. Its also a great fragrance to introduce people to the Penhaligon's lineup, because while it is not a complex frag, it is a very beautiful scent that anyone can pull this fragrance off.

I find once people try Endymion, they are more open to trying other fragrances from Penhaligons.

I
02nd October, 2011
A magical scent from the House of Penhaligon. A mysterious castle in an enchanted forest. The old nurse muttering incantations. The ancient chamber of the heir. A whisper of cloves amid the flowered, ethereal gardens? That fairy tunnel through the trees. And, strangely enough, not only highly poetic but also extremely wearable.
01st August, 2011
While the classic Penhaligon's fragrance is always going to be associated with a step back in time to smell all things victorian the newer, more modern fragrances clearly have to fit into a more contemporary mould. Yet it doesn't necessarily mean they lose their originality or that they do actually smell rather good.

Like their CK One clone Quercus, Endymion is reminiscent of Lynx, but its still smells irresistible; a gorgeous fusion of sweet spices, vanilla and deep woody notes. It isn't trying to be individual, nor is it trying to be original, yet one spritz and it is difficult for your senses not to feel indulged. Because the houses' scents are never heavy(and therefore don't last so long), this actually works in Endymion's favour as it is light enough to wear during the day and grab some compliments (as I always do), or let its dark, deep warmth take you out for the night.

Certainly one of the houses' more favourable offerings for the modern cologne wearer.
18th November, 2009 (last edited: 22nd January, 2010)
PCB01 Show all reviews
This was my introduction to Penhaligon, and I was immediately seduced. Friends, family, and coworkers are united in their praise of this scent. A frequent reaction is, "I've never smelled anything like that," clearly meant in a positive way.

Endymion is warm , approachable, welcoming, soft, and comforting in a way that no other fragrance, in my experience has ever been. Nothing about it says, "I'm a mountain meadow," or, "What's up, good lookin?'" or, "I'm a really important guy, so start scraping." It seems less focused on the wearer, and more of an invitation to anyone around him to come and join the share the warmth.

The house style at Penhaligon seems to be either austere and distant (e.g., Blenheim) or, like this one, accepting and personable. There is a place for both, I suspect.

I'll leave the composition analysis to others. Parsing individual elements of a scent is not something I'm good at or much interested in, any more than I'd care to concentrate on what the woodwinds are doing and miss the symphony as a whole.
19th March, 2009
I think this is a great 'stepping stone' fragrance, a good example to give to someone who normally wears CK or YSL and is interested in more classic fragrances but isn't yet ready for anything too exotic or unusual.
With the lavender, amber and vanilla, it is almost too soft but the beautifully balanced heart and base notes have a much tighter hold on things than the mass market frags that this resembles. If you think this smells generic, you owe it to yourself to try it again and keep smelling throughout the development to see how really well this is made.
12th March, 2009
I’ve worn Endymion about 20 times thus far, but somehow I have never gotten around to reviewing it. Unlike most scents in my collection, I think of Endymion as primarily a nocturnal scent – I prefer to wear it at bed time. To me, it integrates sensual and introspective aspects, an unusual mix that comes together here. I suppose the thing that continues to strike me is the coffee note. Reviewer foetidus aptly describes it as a “deep brooding Mandeling-like note. A bit potent for an EdC, the opening can be a bit too sweet if overapplied. I also enjoy tempered presentation of the spice notes (e.g., nutmeg, pepper and sage) and the creamy character of the scent as whole.
31st January, 2009
oops, I meant Escada not Hererra . . . doh!
12th August, 2008
If you're looking for the coffee note and expecting real coffee then you'll be pleasantly surprised that this is one of those expensive cappuccinos with a blend of herbs and spices. Soothing and calming, the lavender and sage excite the mentalities. Warming with a vanilla base. I believe this is the best of Penhaligon's more contemporary line.
08th June, 2008
Well... it does smell quite a lot like generic "cool and fresh" men's cologne. But it's well done and very agreeable, with no harsh or sharp notes. A pleasant blend of citrusy/aquatic, lightly herbal/spicy, subtly floral and smoothly leathery. It's probably the warm leather base that saves it for me, gives it some interest. My girlfriend liked it even more than I did so I gave my sample to her.
08th June, 2008
This is a superb oriental. Although lily is not listed as an ingredient, I detect something similar to it as a sensual undercoating to the whole affair. The spices and florals meld perfectly with the incense and wood notes, making it one of the very best orientals out there. Definitely worth a try.

16 notes:

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin, Lavender, Sage
Middle: Geranium, Coffee
Base: Vetiver, Nutmeg, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Musk, Leather, Sandalwood, Incense, Frankincense, Myrrh
11th January, 2008 (last edited: 13th July, 2011)
Creamy, sweet and spicy all at once, very much along the lines of Gucci's Envy and Ricci's Ricci Club. A frag better suited for romance than business, though. Excellent sillage; average longevity.

10th January, 2008