Reviews of Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain

Not a bad flanker

I enjoy this one mainly because it reminds me of Kouros Sport Cologne (not to be confused with Kouros Eau de Sport) in the long rounded rectangular bottle. Where this shines is that it has a fecal not that juxtaposes the bright and cold citrus in a way you don't see coming, something that is lacking in KSC.

As a flanker to the original VG, you have to wait a bit to see the similarities. While VG is all vetiver root and quite old school with no modern pretensions, Eau Glacee aka Frozen leans towards modernity in the way it delivers the vetiver: harmonious with only a dose of rootyness. The end result is a somewhat unique fragrance that shows its Guerlain stripe in the middle and base notes, but the transition is not smooth at all. This is when I prefer KCS. Overall, not bad though.

Pros: Guerlain qualities
Cons: Transition from modern to classic Guerlain is jagged.

21st June, 2013
Vetiver Eau Glacee/Vetiver Frozen by Guerlain - Albeit this flanker of the original Vetiver by Guerlain keeps the vetiver essence as its focus, it is decidedly cooler than the original with the warmer aspects of the original excised and replaced with "cooling agents", so to speak.
One is initially treated to a minty, citric accord. A pronounced lime combines with orange and bergamot, resulting in a heightened tangy and bittersweet marriage, which is nicely tempered by a herbal mint. A faintly nutty vetiver serves as an undercurrent to this somewhat bracing and green concoction, and flows to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, the citrus fades, allowing the mint to commingle with a woody and lively pepper as well as a smattering of cinnamon-like nutmeg. A sweetly floral and orangey neroli, with an ephemeral, metallic something, bathes the herbal brew. A muted earthiness and greenness from the vetiver serves as a backdrop. Transitioning to the base, the vetiver comes into its own, highlighting its steamed rice and grassy aura. Tonka bean, with its sweetly vanillic and slightly almondy facets, interplays with the green vetiver. A refreshing drydown ensues. This somewhat refined and fresh scent has good projection and longevity. A masculine, all-season composition, it will, indeed, shine in the warmer weather. This fragrance has a particularly attractive price point for its caliber.
26th April, 2012
Fresh opening which I don't mind although the neroli in the mid doesn't sit very well with me and it seems to stick around for awhile. I prefer the original vetiver as its a nice clean fresh scent which is soft.
18th June, 2010

Great fragrance. This one differs from the original in the use of a minty opening and a cooler + peppery dry down.
So bad it is discontinued where I live. Miss this great flanker.
28th April, 2010
Great, more suitable for formal/night wear, usually, vetiver reminds me of senior crowds. It is cool and refreshing. Floral high notes balance the vetiver very nicely.
15th September, 2009
auee Show all reviews
This scent is excellent for summer wear. It is sharp, vibrant and fulfills its name with the coolness of mint. It is a very nice alternative, but not substitute, to Guerlain's classic Vetiver, which I also admire and wear.
27th June, 2009
Only bought this as it was on discount, Firstly you get a strong smell of Mint Lemon and Bergamot, then the mint and Lemon dies off to leave another layer of a minty neroli or more likely Pettitgrain , when that mellows out we can start smelling a very light Vetiver scent but it is laden with a Spearmint smell like that of Chewing Gum. After a long time you can detect some sort of Vanilla and Minty smell but the Vetiver comes and goes. I did this analysis using bottles of essential oils on hand to compare the notes. I do not think that I could state the Aroma with any more accuracy. My wife loves it, my kids want to wear it and I love it as it smells unusual with the minty tang hanging on every note. Very fresh and I would have no hesitation using it during the day or night Summer or Winter as it smells great. Guerlain do make some of the more intersting ones!
19th February, 2009
Good for summer. Opening citrus is a little sweet with the lime note. Rest is the same as Vetiver just doesn't last as long.
28th October, 2008
A truly accomplished and quintessentially French vetiver that does not disappoint. I do not consider this fragrance wearable on an everyday basis, but it can certainly spice up a party or a night at the theatre. I was told that this is a favourite of king Juan Carlos of Spain and it is not difficult to see why. A winner.
11th August, 2008
I find this one better than the original Guerlain Vetiver. The tabacco note is missing and there is an added mint and citrus to it. Because of the removed tobacco it loses that "sweaty" smell that the original can give off.
It's perfect for warmer weather in my opinion. Smells very fresh, clean and masculine. Has good lasting power with good sillage, not overpowering. It's an excellent casual scent.
20th May, 2007
This one is a very honest, very respectful version of the original and it certainly delivers what it says: it feels like you just sprayed a bunch of shavings of iced vetiver.
While the minty here is very strong, it’s still very natural, not like some fake mints out there like candy drops or something like that.
The freshness never goes away and this works wonders in a very heady, humid and warm environment, I don’t see what’s the use of this one in winter or fall, unless you want to have your nose decongested or want to feel a bit of a burn in there.
The thing is, I don’t feel it’s a very Guerlain fragrance, all the interesting bits like the tobacco or the more musky darker base of the original are very much lost here.
I don’t hold the original in very high esteem like a lot of other people, so it’s safe to say that I don’t feel biased when I say that : It’s good but not that good.
09th April, 2007
Riddle Show all reviews
It is Guerlain Vetiver dialed back with a soapy note for the summer months or perhaps for a crowded office. It fulfills that role well so I do not consider it a criticism
30th January, 2007
Nonsense; Why tamper with a masterpiece?
The original Guerlain Vetiver is so perfect that the slightest tampering with it can only be, apart from being an egregious display of bad taste, a sin.
Turn away in disgust and buy the original.
05th June, 2006

Opens with a burst of citrus with the lime taking prominence. It’s very refreshing—fresher even than regular Vetiver. The middle is a pleasant combination of pepper and neroli, and the vetiver steps in along with the tonka for the dry down. There is a soapy-powdery feel to this fragrance. Guerlain Vetiver Frozen certainly sparkles with freshness. A thoroughly pleasant fragrance, but its longevity leaves a lot to be desired—two hours at the most on my skin.
12th March, 2006
Similar to the original but with more citrus and a nice neroli note. Still, a bit too sharp for me to actually enjoy wearing.
15th January, 2006
I love Guerlain Vetiver and since this one smells almost identical, It would be redundant to
say what I think of it! It's just a little bit fresher (due to the citric top notes) and less offensive, but the vetiver sharpness is there, of course, and the same I can say of the powdery/smoky smell that surrounds it.
Great stuff, but if you have the original you don't need to spend in this one, only if you want a "backup".
30th August, 2005
Love it,in fact i've been wearing it most of the summer here in Ireland,but it does seem to be weaker than Vetiver.It only seems to last 2 to 3 hours on me but it is a lovely scent almost a citrus/menthol in nature.I'd recommend it if you can get it.By the way it was to be released here in Ireland but never made it.Whats up Guerlain?If you dont supply you can't sell!!!
04th August, 2004 (last edited: 27th August, 2004)
A great summer fragrance, fresh and long lasting.
03rd August, 2004