Reviews of Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Find out more about Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Surreal's avatar

I am from Greece and I grew up next to the sea...that is really good on this.
    when aqva marine is the clear water green beach with the white fine sand,this is the
    October darker rough sea with seaweeds on the beach and high waves.
    I like it and it would be a thump up if top notes lasted longer,it IS long lasting but in a subtle spicy and woody drydown.

04 October, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

A weak bland citrus marine fragrance that lasts no more than a hour on my skin. Not impressed!

12 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

Let me admit up front that I’m no great fan of aquatic fragrances. Most of them wind up smelling like chemical spills on my skin, and I can count the ones that work for me on the fingers of one hand. Or at least I could.

This Bvlgari certainly didn’t look promising: blue bottle, aqua (or should I say “aqva?”) on the label? Nope. The opening didn’t do much to help – it was the standard issue artificial “melon” flavor/calone concoction that’s launched a thousand fragrances since L’Eau d’Issey. But then, ten minutes later, what’s that? Good grief! It’s the “skankiest” indolic white flower accord I’ve smelled in a “masculine” fragrance in ages! Wheeeeee!

Next to join the fray is a nose-ticklingly crisp black pepper note that launches the whole composition into another, higher orbit. The precarious balance, the tension, between crisp, clean pepper and aquatic notes and the decadent white flowers makes Bvlgari Aqva ten times as interesting as your run-of-the-mill aquatic scent. Bravo to the nose that made this scent, because the two competing accords remain in balance until both begin to fade. What remains is a clean and somewhat sharp woody base, which if not inherently exciting at least avoid the suffocating woody amber that seems to be the base du jour.

Altogether a pleasant surprise!

09 June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A beautiful but at the same time scary trip to the deep ocean. a place that you may attacked by a giant octopus!
    This is a really strange and mysterious fragrance.
    The opening is sharp, salty, green and aquatic scent that has a dark and deep smell!
    Actually more mysterious than dark but it's something different.
    In the mid that salty and green scents started to decay and some sweetness and some woodsy notes kicked in.
    The smell still is mysterious but it's not as unique as the opening. you may also smell some fresh and fruity smell like watermelon. but it's in the background.
    The projection is really great at the start, but dies down really quick and become skin scent.
    Longevity is average on my skin.
    A different smell that definitely you have to test it before buying it.
    It's not a safe blind buy!

01st June, 2014

Adama's avatar

I really wanted to like Aqua PH.

I've been looking for a nice Seaweed fragrance after enjoying the note in Polo Sport. I was directed to the Bvlgari line and was impressed by the note pyramids of Aqua/Marine and the Toniq flankers.

I blind-bought Marine and my hopes crashed- it was a floral nightmare, not at all what I was assuming it would be.

More cautious the next time around, I found Aqua PH in store and sampled it, and again my hopes were dashed.

Aqua isn't a good aquatic. For all the talk of it being a natural ocean smell, it just came across as repugnant. There is a very synthetic briny note that turned me off right away, alongside the fake water smell found in cleaning products.

I should have taken the fact that members were talking about how Aqua as "challenging to wear" as meaning "not good".

My girlfriend found it to be more masculine than Marine, but said she didn't want me to wear either.

Someone recommended Erofla by Creed to me, I guess that's my next stop.

28 December, 2013

hoop's avatar

This is my favorite day-to-day cologne and I get a lot of compliments whenever I wear it, certainly more than when I wear Chrome, Nautica or Cool Water. It lasts a fairly long time and the 'fresh' scent doesn't fade. Women especially notice it and always ask what it is that I'm wearing more often than when I wear more expensive or bold nighttime colognes.

If you like fresh scents for daytime or work wear I would give it a try. The only downside I can think of is that it is not very organic smelling.

19 December, 2013

ChandlerDeOare's avatar

Review by ChandlerDeOare

This is one of the first designer frags that really stood out from the crowd for me. The citrus/seaweed combination that dominates it absolutely tickled my olfactory initially, spurring me to wear nothing but Aqua for several weeks, however the honeymoon was short lived. The opening is definitely the best for me, strong citrus, almost floral seaweed and a salty undertone that mixes beautifully... Unfortunately the top notes are gone almost instantly. I find it very linear beyond that, with no real definition between the middle and base. At first I detected what I can only describe as blooming Hyacinth in the dry down, but after one over zealous application the moderately salty/sweet flowery presence I had become accustomed to became something more akin to wet latex paint, which I can only assume is due to the calone content. I never have been able to shake that synthetic paint-like odor, and it has overshadowed the whole concoction for me no matter how lightly I apply. I still wear it from time to time when weather dictates though, mostly on gloomy, rainy summer days, as it seems that intense heat only amplifies the offending notes. Maybe it's just my chemistry, but I find wearing Aqua to be a fine line between bliss and blunder.

Pros: "Unique" "Powerhouse aquatic"
    Cons: Synthetic" "Can be offensive if over-applied""

26 October, 2013

wormstir's avatar

Meh. Unsure as to why everyone raves about this scent - this stuff is an utterly boring slightly spicy safe mainstream aquatic. There's the typical Bvlgari middle note in there that's also in Man and Pour Homme. Here it takes on a slightly urinal tinge. The aquatic calone top morphs into a light spicy/amber type scent that does have longevity but it's just so crashingly safe and dull. Disappointing.

03 May, 2013 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2014)

OneOfEm's avatar

Aqva has an extremely synthetic feel to it, but surprisingly, I like it anyway.

It opens with grapefruit, which very quickly changes into a grapefruit/watermelon blend. As this fades, the nose-tingly chemical kicks in with hints of salty sea below it. By the end of the first couple of hours, all that remains is the salty-clean-sea scent (synthetic, but still nice). The drydown reminds me of the smell of salt on my skin after swimming in the ocean - except without all of the stuff that makes you feel like you need a shower. It's just a clean, ocean salt smell.

Projection is almost non-existent, but it does have 6-7 hours of longevity for me - close to the skin. It's a great everyday Summer scent.

20th April, 2013

drseid's avatar

Bulgari Aqua opens with a blast of artificial smelling orange with tons and tons of calone immediately peeping through early. The aquatic calone chemical remains into the heart of the scent now the star, with the initial orange remaining in support joined by woody cedar rising from the base that grows as time passes and the calone recedes during the dry-down with the scent staying relatively linear from there on out. Projection is excellent and longevity is average, lasting 6-8 hours on skin.

I can't say I am a big fan of calone-laced aquatics, and Aqua pour Homme is no exception. It is highly synthetic smelling, and in this case that is in a very bad way. Unfortunately Aqua is just another "me too" generic aquatic offering from Bulgari that is bested by many others in the genre that are much more pleasant smelling (and many for less money to boot). I recommend seeking others in the genre if you want this kind of scent, with excellent options being vintage Cool Water, Bellagio for Men or New West for Him among many others. The relatively poor smelling Aqua pour Homme gets 2 stars out of 5 and an avoid recommendation.

17 January, 2013

sjackal's avatar

Singapore Singapore

This reminds of the movie Hellboy character; Abraham "Abe" Sapien AKA Blue. This is the fragrance for him, while eating oranges. Spray it on and becomes the fishman, mythical, mysterious, sexy in a bizarre amphibian way.

27 November, 2012

ftUK's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

it's not even nice. i simply dont understand this. something wrong here.
    i decided to give it to a friend of mine

27 November, 2012

's avatar

Thats actually marine aquatic citrus. Great for a designer scent. Good for summer. Projection, sillage and longevity are below average.

29 October, 2012

BriGuy's avatar

I didn't want to like this one. I was looking for a spicy bold fragrance, not an aquatic. Lo and behold, I found a spicy aquatic in Bulgari Aqua. WHO KNEW!?
    Although, in typical aquatic fashion, it's a bit lighter than the type of fragrances I enjoy, I still find it curiously pleasant. Growing up close to the ocean I can comfortably say that this fragrance is NOT an oceanic scent; but, I'm ok with that.
    This might not be a favorite at the first sniff. Most of the compliments I've received with this fragrance were mixed at first sniff. "What's that?? Wait..." *sniffs a second time* "...that's nice..."
    Not an Earth-shattering announcement of arrival, especially with it's weaker projection; nevertheless, it's one of my go-to's for occasions where I want to feel and smell fresh and intriguing.
    Don't say "no" too quickly, give it a solid chance, you may be surprised!

06 October, 2012

Francolino's avatar

was nice until I decided I can't take aquatics

05 July, 2012

Shifty Bat's avatar

As far as aquatics go this is pretty nice. Excellent fresh, saline opening gliding gracefully into a warm, sweetening heart. It's the base that upsets the momentum for me. I can see the done-to-death light powder sweetness base coming for a good hour and when it's reached its final evolution Aqua is so trite and faceless I feel like the cool opening has been cheapened for it. Pleasant, yet insubstantial as a summer breeze.

24 June, 2012

Marais's avatar

A cheap-smelling, plasticky, briny pong. I presume it smells better at a distance but I couldn't tolerate it long enough to test this supposition. Try before you buy.

19 June, 2012

Lush's avatar

I live on the ocean. This does not smell just like the ocean. This smells like every other boring, "aquatic," men's fragrance on the market: sweet, strong, linear, synthetic, and cheap. I'll pass.

17 April, 2012

quizas's avatar

I'm sure this works with someone's chemistry out there, but this smells like brackish water on my skin - I ended up scrubbing it off with a mixture of vinegar and laundry detergent to kill the stench (even vinegar was preferable).

10th April, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I am attempting to write this review without being biased. My boyfriend wears this on a daily basis, so it's become less of a perfume for me, and more the smell that reminds me of him.

I will begin by saying that when I first smelt Bvlgari Aqva, I was a little underwhelmed. I'm not a huge fan of anything aquatic, even though I do enjoy its freshness on a man's skin. However, in the case of Bvlgari Aqva, I began to fall in love with its salty sea water note and its rich, earthy patchouli which lingers underneath the juicy orange.

I'm actually not surprised to read that there are many women that wear this also. It's masculine, but not strictly so. I find it a fragrance along the lines of Cool Water, Acqua di Gio and CK One, but perhaps a touch spicier.

My boyfriend wears this all year round, which is sometimes strange because I think it suits Summer weather a hell of a lot better. He also owns Gucci's Envy for Men (a gift I gave him) and CK's Eternity for Women, however Bvlgari Aqva is what he chooses above anything else.

On any other man, this fragrance would not turn me on, but on my boyfriend's skin, the combination is extremely sexy. It gives off this clean, 'fresh out of the shower' type aura that I really adore.

Bvlgari Aqva is a touch woodsy in the drydown, sharp almost. The rich amber only re-instates its masculine qualities. In some ways I'd call this a fierce aquatic, there is nothing subdued or soothing about it.

The longevity is great, especially on my boyfriend's skin which tends to soak up a lot of scents. Bvlgari Aqva is right up there as one of my favourite fragrances for men.

04 April, 2012

's avatar

I only sprayed on spray on from the counter at Macys. Very strong sea water smell. I liked it at first but then it became overwhelming. My wife was pissed at me because the whole ride home the car was engulfed with not only this smell but aqua marine as well. Too bad the projection wasn't tuned down a little.

01st April, 2012

Vellyr's avatar

Smells ok, but there's this weird salad dressing accord that puts me off.

18 March, 2012

The Israelite's avatar

Boughts this fragrance a few days ago and I must say im quite happy that I did.
    The opening smells quite citrusy with what smells to me like a mandrin zest note and this opening lasts around 30-40 mins on my skin.
    I quite like the opening however I prefer that dry down better, which I would describe as dark breezy aquatic scent with a lime and sea salt twist.
    Projection on this fragrance is above average and the longevity is a bit of a monster ( It lasts 10+ on my skin which is rare for an aquatic scent).

I would say this is a nice aquatic fragrance that would be well suited for a casual outdoor lunch on a hot summers day.

Projection: 8.5/10
    Longevity: 10/10
    Fragrance: 8.5/10

06 March, 2012

kokonut's avatar

At first I thought I'm smelling pathouli. Then this seaweed comes out. Better than Aqva Marine, for sure. Totally not for me, smells like something taken out of the lake and layered over a very common masculine perfume smell.

15 February, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Of the hundreds of aquatic scents out there, this is one of the better ones.

Despite different ingredients, it is conceptually in the same mold as Polo.

It starts out as a fresh aquatic (that is a little salty), but then dries down into a very dark spicy scent.

05 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2012)

Saintsbaseball19's avatar

I own a ton of fragrances, and out of all of them I get the most compliments with this one. This is an incredibly unique fragrance with a huge twist on the "aquatic" theme. It's not your everyday aquatic, it's so much deeper and more interesting. The impression that I get is a deep sea, somewhat seaweed vibe. Not a disgusting seaweed though, but a unique smell that literally smells like the sea. Honestly, I'm not huge on the actaul "scent", but because it's so unique and smells like no other aquatic I've ever smelt, I'll give it high appraise. If you're looking for a fresh aquatic that isn't too generic and definitely will turn a few heads, give this one a shot it's worth the Bulgari price! Not too mention the bottle looks absolutely stunning, which shouldn't come as too much of a surprise as Bulgari is after all known for their jewerly.

30th January, 2012

mridulkool007's avatar

The universe of fragrances has become accustomed to welcome thousands of Aquatics every year and with this high amount of entries, it becomes exceedingly hard for the regulars to secernate these Aquatic smells. Gratefully, the House of Bvlgari endowed us with this profound and complex scent, which has substantially revolutionized the opinions about aquatics.

Presentation= The design of the bottle enlightens us about, how Bvlgari has seeped in the priceless experience and heritage of their jewellery designing into the making of this bottle. It is simply astonishing to see a bottle designed so perfectly to express the fragrance inside. The dark midnight blue color of the bottle is used appropriately to educate people about the sea and saltwater qualities attached to the scent inside. From every perspective, whether it is the shape, color or presentation, the bottle to me looks like a water droplet. So full marks to the spotless craftsmanship involved in the presentation of the bottle.

Scent = The moment you spray the juice, an acute uplifting smell of mandarins and oranges thumps the nose and this shock lasts for around half an hour. The citrusy opening rolls on a salty road, which makes this scent distinct from its competitors. The salty notes maintain an intense relationship with this fragrance in major part of the scent life, thus presenting an elegant stature to this scent. Eventually the note of Seaweed joins the road in the middle of the journey and provides the scent with deep and dark aquatic undertone. At this point of time, the scent takes you closer to the deep waters of the sea, giving a serene effect to the smell. In the last segment of the journey, Amber and woodsy notes provide the base for the scent, taking away the saltiness at last. Amber doesn’t provide any kind of heaviness to the fragrance, but grippingly with the woodsy notes the scent becomes more airy. It is one of those kinds of fragrance, in which every note speaks for itself and still the standard of complexity for the fragrance doesn’t descend one bit. This entertaining ride of the scent lasts for at least 6 hours, on good days even 8 hours of longevity shouldn’t be surprising. Getting complements with this fragrance is comparatively easy on a hot summer day/ warm summer nights than in cooler weather. Projection of this fragrance is moderate, making it a safe scent to wear in almost every occasion. It is hard to spot any downside of this scent, but people who are allergic to salty notes can get offended easily. Sometimes I get a glue like vibe from this fragrance, which may be objectionable to some noses. Otherwise it is a very well constructed scent and has managed to instill life in the market of aquatics.

Analogy= This fragrance takes my imagination to a small uninhabited island that has a prime vegetation of mandarin and orange trees. With its perplexing beauty, this isolated location attracts a young well built fisherman, the moment he reaches the coast the floating smell of mandarins and oranges draws his attention. This new discovery uplifts his level of satisfaction like never before, he embraces this opportunity and in no time he decides to fill his boat with the fruits. In the later part of the evening he begins his voyage back to his home town on a fully loaded boat. In the middle of the journey he spots storm inspired waters. By now the fisherman knows that this could very well be his longest and roughest night. The battle rages loud and long and the whole night goes along, the fisherman loses his consciousness before the peace return. The rays of the new rising sun awake the fisherman who is fully enveloped with the fresh smell of oranges/ mandarins, saltiness of sea water and deep smell of seaweed. The fisherman finds himself in a coast of an island which has everything divine about it, a fresh and cold breeze is flowing across this island. He plans to explore this island…………….

27 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2012)

AussieC's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

The scent I have been searching for. Slightly similar to adg, but i like this one better. Its simply unique for a summer fragrance. I smelt it once and didn't know what it was. After going through adg, issey miyake, light blue... Just to name a few I found aqva.

I'll be honest I dislike the bottle, but the juice is so fresh and clean. Be careful though... Easily oversprayed... It was winter so I thought Ill give it 4 sprays 3 on open skin... Overdid it :(

Trust me... This isn't seaweed in your pockets. This is sweet with a tinge of salt. Definitely evokes the sea

Longevity 8
    Uniqueness 10
    Projection 10
    Versatility 7
    Overall 9

16 December, 2011

nima.afsarinejad's avatar

Disclaimer: Unless its an intimate occasion and I need to smell good for someone else' sake I wear scents solely for my own enjoyment. With that said, I have to admit that this gets compliments. But for some reason it just smells like tap water to me and I am not a fan. I've had compliments 5-6 hours after spraying this so I assume that it has fairly good longevity. But as I said I just can't smell it. The only time I enjoy this is when I spray it in my hair (I know I know...but it just happened one morning when I had absolutely no time to shower!). It seems to mix well with my scalp oils! Definitely one to try before you buy unless you are buying it specifically to put on your head in which case this is a real winner! I bought it blind based on recommendations and would really like to give it a thumbs down but the numerous compliments that I've gotten have to count for something, right?

12 December, 2011

DLR's avatar

A great summer fragrance that oozes fresh citrus and light watery notes. Has a distinct smell that lasts.
    I am complimented every time I wear this.

08 November, 2011