Positive Reviews of Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Find out more about Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

Let me admit up front that I’m no great fan of aquatic fragrances. Most of them wind up smelling like chemical spills on my skin, and I can count the ones that work for me on the fingers of one hand. Or at least I could.

This Bvlgari certainly didn’t look promising: blue bottle, aqua (or should I say “aqva?”) on the label? Nope. The opening didn’t do much to help – it was the standard issue artificial “melon” flavor/calone concoction that’s launched a thousand fragrances since L’Eau d’Issey. But then, ten minutes later, what’s that? Good grief! It’s the “skankiest” indolic white flower accord I’ve smelled in a “masculine” fragrance in ages! Wheeeeee!

Next to join the fray is a nose-ticklingly crisp black pepper note that launches the whole composition into another, higher orbit. The precarious balance, the tension, between crisp, clean pepper and aquatic notes and the decadent white flowers makes Bvlgari Aqva ten times as interesting as your run-of-the-mill aquatic scent. Bravo to the nose that made this scent, because the two competing accords remain in balance until both begin to fade. What remains is a clean and somewhat sharp woody base, which if not inherently exciting at least avoid the suffocating woody amber that seems to be the base du jour.

Altogether a pleasant surprise!

09th June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A beautiful but at the same time scary trip to the deep ocean. a place that you may attacked by a giant octopus!
    This is a really strange and mysterious fragrance.
    The opening is sharp, salty, green and aquatic scent that has a dark and deep smell!
    Actually more mysterious than dark but it's something different.
    In the mid that salty and green scents started to decay and some sweetness and some woodsy notes kicked in.
    The smell still is mysterious but it's not as unique as the opening. you may also smell some fresh and fruity smell like watermelon. but it's in the background.
    The projection is really great at the start, but dies down really quick and become skin scent.
    Longevity is average on my skin.
    A different smell that definitely you have to test it before buying it.
    It's not a safe blind buy!

01st June, 2014

hoop's avatar

This is my favorite day-to-day cologne and I get a lot of compliments whenever I wear it, certainly more than when I wear Chrome, Nautica or Cool Water. It lasts a fairly long time and the 'fresh' scent doesn't fade. Women especially notice it and always ask what it is that I'm wearing more often than when I wear more expensive or bold nighttime colognes.

If you like fresh scents for daytime or work wear I would give it a try. The only downside I can think of is that it is not very organic smelling.

19th December, 2013

OneOfEm's avatar

Aqva has an extremely synthetic feel to it, but surprisingly, I like it anyway.

It opens with grapefruit, which very quickly changes into a grapefruit/watermelon blend. As this fades, the nose-tingly chemical kicks in with hints of salty sea below it. By the end of the first couple of hours, all that remains is the salty-clean-sea scent (synthetic, but still nice). The drydown reminds me of the smell of salt on my skin after swimming in the ocean - except without all of the stuff that makes you feel like you need a shower. It's just a clean, ocean salt smell.

Projection is almost non-existent, but it does have 6-7 hours of longevity for me - close to the skin. It's a great everyday Summer scent.

20th April, 2013

sjackal's avatar

Singapore Singapore

This reminds of the movie Hellboy character; Abraham "Abe" Sapien AKA Blue. This is the fragrance for him, while eating oranges. Spray it on and becomes the fishman, mythical, mysterious, sexy in a bizarre amphibian way.

27th November, 2012

's avatar

Thats actually marine aquatic citrus. Great for a designer scent. Good for summer. Projection, sillage and longevity are below average.

29th October, 2012

BriGuy's avatar

I didn't want to like this one. I was looking for a spicy bold fragrance, not an aquatic. Lo and behold, I found a spicy aquatic in Bulgari Aqua. WHO KNEW!?
    Although, in typical aquatic fashion, it's a bit lighter than the type of fragrances I enjoy, I still find it curiously pleasant. Growing up close to the ocean I can comfortably say that this fragrance is NOT an oceanic scent; but, I'm ok with that.
    This might not be a favorite at the first sniff. Most of the compliments I've received with this fragrance were mixed at first sniff. "What's that?? Wait..." *sniffs a second time* "...that's nice..."
    Not an Earth-shattering announcement of arrival, especially with it's weaker projection; nevertheless, it's one of my go-to's for occasions where I want to feel and smell fresh and intriguing.
    Don't say "no" too quickly, give it a solid chance, you may be surprised!

06th October, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I am attempting to write this review without being biased. My boyfriend wears this on a daily basis, so it's become less of a perfume for me, and more the smell that reminds me of him.

I will begin by saying that when I first smelt Bvlgari Aqva, I was a little underwhelmed. I'm not a huge fan of anything aquatic, even though I do enjoy its freshness on a man's skin. However, in the case of Bvlgari Aqva, I began to fall in love with its salty sea water note and its rich, earthy patchouli which lingers underneath the juicy orange.

I'm actually not surprised to read that there are many women that wear this also. It's masculine, but not strictly so. I find it a fragrance along the lines of Cool Water, Acqua di Gio and CK One, but perhaps a touch spicier.

My boyfriend wears this all year round, which is sometimes strange because I think it suits Summer weather a hell of a lot better. He also owns Gucci's Envy for Men (a gift I gave him) and CK's Eternity for Women, however Bvlgari Aqva is what he chooses above anything else.

On any other man, this fragrance would not turn me on, but on my boyfriend's skin, the combination is extremely sexy. It gives off this clean, 'fresh out of the shower' type aura that I really adore.

Bvlgari Aqva is a touch woodsy in the drydown, sharp almost. The rich amber only re-instates its masculine qualities. In some ways I'd call this a fierce aquatic, there is nothing subdued or soothing about it.

The longevity is great, especially on my boyfriend's skin which tends to soak up a lot of scents. Bvlgari Aqva is right up there as one of my favourite fragrances for men.

04th April, 2012

The Israelite's avatar

Boughts this fragrance a few days ago and I must say im quite happy that I did.
    The opening smells quite citrusy with what smells to me like a mandrin zest note and this opening lasts around 30-40 mins on my skin.
    I quite like the opening however I prefer that dry down better, which I would describe as dark breezy aquatic scent with a lime and sea salt twist.
    Projection on this fragrance is above average and the longevity is a bit of a monster ( It lasts 10+ on my skin which is rare for an aquatic scent).

I would say this is a nice aquatic fragrance that would be well suited for a casual outdoor lunch on a hot summers day.

Projection: 8.5/10
    Longevity: 10/10
    Fragrance: 8.5/10

06th March, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Of the hundreds of aquatic scents out there, this is one of the better ones.

Despite different ingredients, it is conceptually in the same mold as Polo.

It starts out as a fresh aquatic (that is a little salty), but then dries down into a very dark spicy scent.

05th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 24th May, 2012)

Saintsbaseball19's avatar

I own a ton of fragrances, and out of all of them I get the most compliments with this one. This is an incredibly unique fragrance with a huge twist on the "aquatic" theme. It's not your everyday aquatic, it's so much deeper and more interesting. The impression that I get is a deep sea, somewhat seaweed vibe. Not a disgusting seaweed though, but a unique smell that literally smells like the sea. Honestly, I'm not huge on the actaul "scent", but because it's so unique and smells like no other aquatic I've ever smelt, I'll give it high appraise. If you're looking for a fresh aquatic that isn't too generic and definitely will turn a few heads, give this one a shot it's worth the Bulgari price! Not too mention the bottle looks absolutely stunning, which shouldn't come as too much of a surprise as Bulgari is after all known for their jewerly.

30th January, 2012

mridulkool007's avatar

The universe of fragrances has become accustomed to welcome thousands of Aquatics every year and with this high amount of entries, it becomes exceedingly hard for the regulars to secernate these Aquatic smells. Gratefully, the House of Bvlgari endowed us with this profound and complex scent, which has substantially revolutionized the opinions about aquatics.

Presentation= The design of the bottle enlightens us about, how Bvlgari has seeped in the priceless experience and heritage of their jewellery designing into the making of this bottle. It is simply astonishing to see a bottle designed so perfectly to express the fragrance inside. The dark midnight blue color of the bottle is used appropriately to educate people about the sea and saltwater qualities attached to the scent inside. From every perspective, whether it is the shape, color or presentation, the bottle to me looks like a water droplet. So full marks to the spotless craftsmanship involved in the presentation of the bottle.

Scent = The moment you spray the juice, an acute uplifting smell of mandarins and oranges thumps the nose and this shock lasts for around half an hour. The citrusy opening rolls on a salty road, which makes this scent distinct from its competitors. The salty notes maintain an intense relationship with this fragrance in major part of the scent life, thus presenting an elegant stature to this scent. Eventually the note of Seaweed joins the road in the middle of the journey and provides the scent with deep and dark aquatic undertone. At this point of time, the scent takes you closer to the deep waters of the sea, giving a serene effect to the smell. In the last segment of the journey, Amber and woodsy notes provide the base for the scent, taking away the saltiness at last. Amber doesn’t provide any kind of heaviness to the fragrance, but grippingly with the woodsy notes the scent becomes more airy. It is one of those kinds of fragrance, in which every note speaks for itself and still the standard of complexity for the fragrance doesn’t descend one bit. This entertaining ride of the scent lasts for at least 6 hours, on good days even 8 hours of longevity shouldn’t be surprising. Getting complements with this fragrance is comparatively easy on a hot summer day/ warm summer nights than in cooler weather. Projection of this fragrance is moderate, making it a safe scent to wear in almost every occasion. It is hard to spot any downside of this scent, but people who are allergic to salty notes can get offended easily. Sometimes I get a glue like vibe from this fragrance, which may be objectionable to some noses. Otherwise it is a very well constructed scent and has managed to instill life in the market of aquatics.

Analogy= This fragrance takes my imagination to a small uninhabited island that has a prime vegetation of mandarin and orange trees. With its perplexing beauty, this isolated location attracts a young well built fisherman, the moment he reaches the coast the floating smell of mandarins and oranges draws his attention. This new discovery uplifts his level of satisfaction like never before, he embraces this opportunity and in no time he decides to fill his boat with the fruits. In the later part of the evening he begins his voyage back to his home town on a fully loaded boat. In the middle of the journey he spots storm inspired waters. By now the fisherman knows that this could very well be his longest and roughest night. The battle rages loud and long and the whole night goes along, the fisherman loses his consciousness before the peace return. The rays of the new rising sun awake the fisherman who is fully enveloped with the fresh smell of oranges/ mandarins, saltiness of sea water and deep smell of seaweed. The fisherman finds himself in a coast of an island which has everything divine about it, a fresh and cold breeze is flowing across this island. He plans to explore this island…………….

27th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th July, 2012)

AussieC's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

The scent I have been searching for. Slightly similar to adg, but i like this one better. Its simply unique for a summer fragrance. I smelt it once and didn't know what it was. After going through adg, issey miyake, light blue... Just to name a few I found aqva.

I'll be honest I dislike the bottle, but the juice is so fresh and clean. Be careful though... Easily oversprayed... It was winter so I thought Ill give it 4 sprays 3 on open skin... Overdid it :(

Trust me... This isn't seaweed in your pockets. This is sweet with a tinge of salt. Definitely evokes the sea

Longevity 8
    Uniqueness 10
    Projection 10
    Versatility 7
    Overall 9

16th December, 2011

DLR's avatar

A great summer fragrance that oozes fresh citrus and light watery notes. Has a distinct smell that lasts.
    I am complimented every time I wear this.

08th November, 2011

Shea's avatar

Good summer scent for daytime use. It is a nice every day office fragrance for me. I get some woody notes in addition to the aquatic.

30th October, 2011

Suave Scenter's avatar

This scent is a dark fresh aquatic that never ceases to fascinate me. It is simply wonderful. I can see how some people may not like the saltiness of the dry down, but to me it is not overbearing or off putting.
    I would say that this fragrance would be safe enough for a blind buy by most people. I believe that this aquatic does give a very classy and sophisticated twist on the normal aquatic genre. This is the grown man's aquatic. Not old, but rather for someone who has their stuff together.

I give this scent a 9.5 out of 10. Longevity is excellent, Sillage is excellent for an aquatic and Projection is excellent as well.

18th October, 2011

mesaboogie's avatar

This is a very unique aquatic. It doesn't remind me of walking along the north shore of Oahu on a warm day. It doesn't remind me of sailing on a boat while wearing an unbuttoned dress shirt and drinking champagne. It smells like diving into the cool, dark blue waters of the north pacific on a cloudy, rainy day. It's an aquatic that actually smells like the ocean. It doesn't smell like dirty, smelly ocean either. It smells like clean, salty, and heavenly ocean. It's the most unique bottle I've come across, especially since it doesn't stand up like a traditional bottle of cologne but rather lays on it's back. The sprayer is stealthily hidden in the back and it sprays a very good amount of cologne. This makes an excellent daily wear or date night scent for warm summer days/nights. It projects well and lasts between 6-10 hours depending on the day. Absolutely gorgeous and unique scent from Bvlgari.

13th September, 2011

jimmysmellworld's avatar

If your looking for a well made aquatic then this has to be on your try/buy list. Its very well constructed to the extent that it really does smell like the the salty, deep blue atlantic. Its not a sweet, club friendly fragrance like ADG, its more mature, individual and classy with a slightly rugged dirty vibe. I've nearly finished my 100ml as its one of my most used fragrances during the summer days, though its not so much of a romantic night wear fragrance. I love the blue pebble shaped bottle too.

I'd wear this fragrance during the hot summer days

Its more suited to day office/work wear.

Longevity is good for an aquatic.

also, avoid its marine flanker as its not as good.

06th August, 2011

findtheriver's avatar

Great casual summer scent. It puts me in mind of hanging out with friends by the beach on a warm summer night.
    At the risk of turning someone off to this great cologne, I cant help but notice a slight resemblance to A and F Fierce. Perhaps a grown-up more complex version. In any case, it's good stuff.

11th July, 2011

tdwctdwc's avatar

Everytime i wear this, i feel like i'm swimming in a grotto-type hidden organic pool with dark blue fresh water, located on a remote meditterranean island that no one has yet discovered :)

Spectacular !

06th July, 2011

zarrax's avatar

My first review....So, today I went to find a new summer fragance to the mall, needed something considered normal. Ok I needed a god forsaken aquatic! (dont ask why) Everything smells the same, from the Versace‘s to the Gucci‘s II. Went through Paris Hilton and passed by Eternity Aqua. I got to smell coffe 4 times, no kiddin. Then I saw an Aqva Bvulgari tester, and I remembered smelling this like 2 or 3 years ago so I gave it a chance. Damn Im glad I did. This is a very nice aquatic indeed! I bought it instantly and went to dinner wearing it. It still smells like heaven, not to fruity but has something in there that makes me feel so damn relaxed. Yep this one lasts long so for longevity dont even bother this one gets the trick done, I always used citruses during summers or fougeres but damn this thing is good.

18th June, 2011

Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff's avatar

The mandarin opening quickly gives way to a spicy, salt water, and woodsy scent. Longevity and projection are quite good in the heat at around 5-7 hours. It is subtle but not too subtle and can certainly be detected. I prefer a little more of a refreshing scent for summer but for spring or fall I could see this being great. I can see where many people would be turned off by the saltiness but it blends well with the other notes.

31st May, 2011

piecemaker's avatar

I love aquatics, and this is probably the best aquatic i own, granted that i am new to the cologne world, I still have gone out of my way to smell as many aquatics as I can.

Has great longevity and projection about 8 to 10 hours. Smells very oceanic and has a dark,mysterious, yet cool feel to it.

I would recommend this to any aquatic lovers and this is well worth a shot.

24th March, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Besides the hefty blast of calone in the opening, Bulgari Aqua goes towards a pleasant "beachy" smell that actually smells like the ocean and saltwater. Don't worry, you won't smell eggs or just stinky saltwater - this is a pleasant, fresh aquatic that is true to the "Aqua" moniker and lasts quite a while for an aquatic. Bulgari Aqua is the best all-around aquatic fragrance that I've tried so far, and women love it too!

17th February, 2011

SmellyNinja's avatar

One of the kings of the "pure" aquatics. Aqua isn't light and sandy Baha. This is rugged, Pacific Northwest shoreline. Clean. Cool. Dark. Refreshing. Organic.

Sadly, it's been imitated by hundreds of other lesser products, to the point where people will ask what kind of Axe Body Spray you're wearing.

13th January, 2011

periquito89's avatar

Brazil Brazil

It hurts the nose a little bit when smelled very close to skin, but smelling it from around gives me a nice impression. And is very recognized too, you can say is Aqva. I use it very very rarely, but I have a good impression, I guess is the all thing: the scent itself, the color of the bottle, the ad that always recalls "water", and the name of course. Here I don't get that "raw fish" feeling from Aqva Marine when smelled close to skin, so I prefer this. Kenzo pour Homme is my choice, a personal thing, because the feeling that it gives me. Aqva is less dry for sure, and sometimes looks a bit fruity (watermelon is not listed here). Thumbs up not for loving it, but because that all thing.

08th January, 2011

09DannyH's avatar

Much better than ADG in my own opinion, more complex. This is a formal cologne, I wear it when I go to work.

17th July, 2010

++++'s avatar

Guilty pleasure?

Heh, BAquaPH is marine/ozone done well. The 'noses' may sniff at it but it is an original scent, it stands out among modern scents which is what it was designed to do and should be commended for doing so.

23rd June, 2010

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Oh, what a lovely modern take on aquatics. The first time I smelled this I was flabbergasted because it really evokes the sea with it's spiciness and freshness.

This is versatile and elegant at the same time. For a marine scent, I can't see nothing wrong with it.

Some people might despise it for it's popularity, but the sales speak for themselves. I believe that it's freshness can bring up to life the young spirit in anyone.

Projection: Perfect
    Longevity: 4-5 hours
    Development: Linear
    Classification: Spicy Aquatic
    Versatility: Great
    Age: Any
    Gender: Masculine
    Overall: 10/10

18th June, 2010

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

This scent is like a deep sea that invites you: swim, dive in, you will not regret it. This scent is not heavy, but yet it not as light and of course, it has depth and complexity. One of best aquatic scents ever. It is obvious that Acqua di Gio was a muse for this one, AdG has more of a fruity aura unlike Bvlgari Aqua.

18th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 16th November, 2010)