Positive Reviews of Anvers by Ulrich Lang

Find out more about Anvers by Ulrich Lang in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

alfarom's avatar

Anvers opens with a fresh herbaceous accord immediately joined by honey and violet. The whole fragrance is made of a pleasant and gentle sweetness as the honey note is cleverly freshened by herbs and surrounded by a tropical fruits feeling that make this fragrance quite distinctive. On the other hand I get a few "ordinary aspects" that made me think about others generic mass market fragrances especially in the drydown where IMO Anvers lacks in personality. Overall this is a nice scent and quite an easywear. Nothing really necessary but if you're lucky you can find it for 20$ at a discount store (as happened to me).

08 April, 2011

Granola's avatar

This is very modern and complex scent. I detect green notes, violet like Narciso Rodriguez for him and smokey notes. Very unique. Thumbs up

06 June, 2010

DLCC's avatar

I bought this. It's smells really good and the women love it. Very classy and the scent just keeps changing. Never had anything like this before. Like Mentallo said, it's not for everyone. The second Anvers, Anvers 2 smells alot like Jean Paul G's Fleur de Mal I feel. I tried both before deciding and although Anvers 2 was my first choice I went with Anvers 1. It grew on me and it a very warm scent for the fall/winter. I would not buy this again just because it is very pricey.

30th December, 2008

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Very rich and complex juice. Roger Szmulewicz and Ulrich Lang itself are perfumers behind this superb fragrance.

To me this is clearly an aromatic fougere scent. The main theme is that samekind of vegetal charachter like in Rive Gauche PH, although the scents are very different in the end.

Crispy citrus opening followed by great smelling honeyed herbs and flowers. Ambery base with hint of guava smells very exotic. It almost has a tropical feel to it.

Long lasting unique scent with very nuanced projection.

16 November, 2008

mentallo's avatar

Love it. Classy yet playful. I guess it's not for everybody but thats also why I like it.

05 April, 2007

phantagarow's avatar

Anvers immediately reminded me of two fragrances: Havana by Aramis & Rochas Man. It smells a lot like a cross between the two. Since I am great fan of Havana (fragrances with tobacco notes for that matter) and Rochas Man, I love this one. This is a must try if you're into tobacco fragrances.

13 May, 2006

The_love's avatar

Top: bergamot, lime, tangerine, sage, mint and basil
    Heart: violet, jasmine, geranium, sesame and honey
    Base: leather, moss, amber, precious woods and guava

26 November, 2005 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2006)

rjrober22's avatar

This stuff is GREAT....I do get a second-hand smoke sensation but...It is VERY pleasent ( I despise cigarrette smoke) Anyway, My wife REALLY digs this one.

22 October, 2005

John.com's avatar

Begged for and was presented with this masterful creation Xmas morn. I was hooked from the first sample run months ago. The combination of aromatic woods, leather, guava and other niceties breaks down to an incredibly savory smoky finish. By use of the phrase smoky, one would normally envision an acrid, cloying beast, not so, just the suggestion of smokiness brought about by the aformentioned ingredients. CAUTION: or slovenly snot nosed skatebording wankers gents. This be grown up and scrathing at the door for clubbing or the executive jet setter. HERE HERE!!!
    side note: Hope your having a pleasant holiday season Grant, chalk another year up for the mighty Basenotes!!!!!
    John

27 December, 2003

Ronald's avatar

Truly original - the best new scent I've smelled in a while. It seethes urbanity. Reminiscent of a Fall evening out on the town, the kind where you can see your breath and the air is slightly moist, crisp and invigorating. It has a curiously pleasing note that, seriously, reminds me of second-hand cigarette smoke on a wool suit jacket (from back in the day when smoking was still allowed in the good bars). Class, sophistication and cool. Highly recommended.

04 November, 2003