Reviews of Clean Perfume by Clean

Find out more about Clean Perfume by Clean in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

loulily's avatar

A gross mix of lemon pledge and windex. If you wear this, people will think you have been cleaning the house. It also smells like a moderately well maintained public bathroom. By far the worst perfume I have ever smelled.

22nd April, 2009

crystal lover's avatar

What is the point! An expensive way to smell like room freshener, shaving cream, and soap. Buy some Febreze, Barbasol, and Dial and you'll smell better than this.

22nd February, 2009

This one comes across as pretty synthetic. I get a definite hair spray type response from it – kind of artificial lemon but more pledge than actual. It’s a bit musky, a bit more powdery, and very sweet. I find the synthetics somewhat a turnoff, but it’s the sweetness that bothers me the most – it changes the fragrance from a boring to being annoying. It has very good longevity. I think the man’s version is better than this one.

21st November, 2008

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

I've tried several in this line and none of them for me. All are ridiculously overpriced for what they offer. I generally find the "clean, freshly-showered" category of scents uninteresting and these were no exception.

Clean smells like bar soap in a bottle. Plain and simple. It doesn't stink, but why pay $70 to smell like soap, when I can shower with a nice $7 bar of soap, enjoy the experience more, and still get the same effect? Not to mention the soap's scent will probably last longer on my skin than this fleeting scent.

14th September, 2008

Katherine's avatar

South Africa South Africa

I loved the concept of this perfume house and after smelling CLEAN bought a bottle immediately. It doesn't translate that well on me though and I must admit that although I like the powdery notes I am not a big fan. I feel that I smell of laundry detergent! I might buy the linen or room spray derivatives I won't wear the perfume again.

29th July, 2008

lizzie_j's avatar

As opposed to many other reviewers I don't find similarity between this and Lemon Sugar. On my skin, Clean smells sharp, synthetic, and after-shavey. Not bad, certainly clean (not an organic skanky animalic molecule to be found!), and completely devoid of sweetness. In fact of all my fragrances it's probably the one I would think easiest to wear by a man. I used to love this more than I do now, and mainly used it as a pick-me-up at work. It's no longer effective in that regard (though Lemon Sugar IS!), but I still enjoy some aspects of this fragrance--the way it softens on my skin and slowly becomes all powdery and laundered! Like I've been through the wash cycle!

02nd July, 2008

heatherc26's avatar

I tried this once in a sample. It gave me such a headache and smelled like a cheaper version of Lemon Sugar by Fresh. I don't recommend it unless you want to smell OVERWHELMINGLY sweet, that or have a constant headache while doing so.

14th January, 2008

pookerella's avatar

When I first put it on, it reminded me of Irish Spring. It gets softer and more powdery as it wears. I like it, as it is very different than anything else I've used. I tried the Ultimate as well....I'm not a huge fan of Neroli. Reminds me too much of Egyptian Musk. Anyway, I spent a few hours in Ulta smelling this perfume, went home, had dinner, and when I went to wash my dishes with the new Dawn Direct Foam in the Fresh Rapids scent (the blue one) I was amazed that it was nearly IDENTICAL to Clean EDT. I guess it is soap!

16th September, 2006

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

This is very fresh and exhilerating for women. It is the perfect match to the Clean Men and I recommend it to any lady who wants to smell clean all over!

13th April, 2006

djgirl1976's avatar

You know, I do agree that you pick up a lemon sugary sort of scent from this one, but that being said, I get quite a few compliments on this. I also would have to say that, on me, this DOES smell like I just lathered up. (I use bar soaps myself, since I am not a fan of liquids) There is something I can't quite pinpoint that makes it this way. That being said, I am a little bored with it as I have been wearing quite a lot of it after recieving 2 bottles as gifts!

04th April, 2006

calchic's avatar

Alright, not to get too personal here, but I shower with Ivory, always have, and its fragrance forms the basis for much of what I consider to be the definition of clean, soapy, fresh, what have you. A little bit spicy, rather dry, very white-smelling if that makes sense. So the whole deal of Clean, the fragrance, smelling like clean-I-just-showered has always been lost on me. I'd have to be showering with something very lemon-sugary - Fresh's Sugar brown sugar body polish comes immediately to mind as nearly an identical smell-alike to Clean, right down to the heavy proportion of litsea cubeba - to consider Clean to be, well, clean. But that's fine, no problem; whatever one's concept of freshly showered may be, Clean is a perfectly nice fragrance, tangy with citrus and a little powdery as well as extremely sweet. I assume that sweetness comes from the lily in the mix and also the litsea, which is equal parts lemony (actually more like lemongrass than fruit lemon, I think) and perky sweet. I enjoy wearing it from time to time and do consider it in the same category as a few of the Fresh scents like the original Fresh Sugar, which I prefer to this but find has inferior staying power compared to Clean's.

22nd September, 2005