Positive Reviews of Nuit au Désert by Gobin Daudé

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening commences with a mix of a soft wood aroma with a dry and sandy undertone, softened with whiffs of white floral, mainly hibiscus, and enhanced by a veil of a gentle, just a touch smoky and unexpectedly bright incense that is cast over the opening notes and penetrates them deliciously. This mix of too notes in the beginning is unique and absolutely sensational.

The incense is light, nigh airy, with no medicinal and ceremonial undertones.

The drydown adds the floral expression of wildflowers, conjuring up the blooming desert in the Moroccon hills or the Little Desert in blossom. Unfortunately the whole thing collapses and nigh disappears after the first hour or two, but is reappears after a while but very much closer to my skin. Still, with my nose burrowing into my subcutaneous tissue I can enjoy the subsequent development.

Then a restrained fruitiness - mainly mirabelle - mixes with a gorgeous cedar impression. Still very close to my skin, they fade gracefully into the end.

I get moderate sillage and good projection initially, and the total longevity is nine hours.

The creation's opening phase is a sublime and divine revelation, with the latter stages, alas, not performing that well. The incredible quality of the natural ingredients is unsurpassed. Gorgeous. 4.5/5.
01st November, 2016
Nuit au Désert is the most fascinating and unique one of the - well, fascinating and unique Gobin Daudé line. To me it smells like a campfire: it's dry, woody and smoky. I've never been in a desert but NaD reminds me of some Midsummers of my childhood which were spent in the countryside, sitting by a campfire on the rocks by the lake on the whitest night of the year. A rare, stern beauty.
14th May, 2006
My favorite after Seve Exquise, this scent is a morpher and also quite unique. It begins cool and smoky and woody (agarwood, I think--a harsher, smoky, non-spicy wood) . The smoke here actually smells like cigarettes for a few minutes, more so than anything else (eg Tea For Two by L'artisan). It then blends with 'desert blooms'--I can't tell what, but these florals are deep and almost fruity, and play in the smoke beautifully. Not heady, not warm, not a skin-scent but not typically 'perfumy' either, this scent is, for lack of a better term, unique. It is very evocative, like SE, of actually being somewhere else and having an experience (ie a desert evening, smelling campfires, wind, and plants). I think distribution and possibly production were halted because they did not have much mass appeal. That could also have to do with the outrageous price and lack of advertising, but there is something to it--I don't think this would ever be someone's everyday signature scent. But it is beautiful, if somewhat fleeting.
15th September, 2005