Reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This is what Mr. Roger's sweater would smell like.
11th March, 2015
Wonderful fall fragrance. Nothing much to add to the other reviews but this really does smell like drinking a cup of sweet coffee at a pancake house. Coffee, waffle, maple syrup and a ton of sweetness. Warm and inviting and virtually impossible to dislike. Projects like a beast and lasts and lasts. Single note fragrance with zero drydown but the nose never gets bored and it never feels cloying.

Check out ck one shock - its way cheaper and it has the same vibe going on. Any way, new Haarlem should be in everyone's collections - gourmand done right and can be worn any season by anybody.

Top marks!
03rd March, 2015
Definitely had my phase with this one. It's a powdery syrup-cinnamon-coffee fragrance with a lot of cedar. It's strong, last a while and is nice, but eventually I got kinda sick of it. Not very versatile but has its place in an already established collection.

03rd February, 2015

If I wanted to smell like this I would go to the closest Starbucks, get a cafe au lait, put tons of sugar and vanilla and pour it all over me.
I like the smell of coffee, but not ON me, capiche?
10th January, 2015
A tad disappointed with this fragrance. I agree that the opening is very much coffee with hints of lavender and a cacao note.

But that's all the opening. 3-4 hours in, the mid and base notes is more about tonka, amber and vanilla than coffee, which is what the reviews here rave about. Longevity is decent at 6-8 hours, not the beast that people talk about here.

Looking to sell this, used 10-12 sprays, if anyone is interested and is a fan.

Its good, just not great.

PS: people smell coffee beans after sniffing numerous fragrances. No surprise that olfactory fatigue may kick in really quickly for this fragrance.

PPS: the best coffee frag I've smelt so far is Eau Noire from Dior. But that has other notes like immortelle that put me off. Anyone have recommendations?
01st December, 2014
When this scent touches my skin, the most wonderful aroma of fresh black coffee arises, soon accompanied by a firm lavender with a herbal undertone. More into the drydown there is coffee and a cedar impression, although the coffee still dominates. Now the coffee is less fresh, a touch less intense and more like cafe au lait. In the base by a great twist the addition of tonka create the atmosphere of a cafe where maple syrup wafers are served, nut never too sweet, sickly or intrusive. In the first phases added bergamot adds freshness, and in the later stages an added ambery wood note prevents the sweetness to be to dominating. Coffee prevails throughout, albeit a bit in the background in the base. Although a great gourmand scent, its lack of intrusive sweetness makes it very wearable on me. It displays good silage and projection, but the longevity on me is utterly sensational: fourteen hours have passed and I can just still catch a whiff of......(a hint: it starts with c). On me this is the gold standard in coffee fragrances, a great, not too heavy winter gourmand.
21st July, 2014
Coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, and... pancake syrup? Sure, why not! New Haarlem reminds me of the holidays. It's an amazing and potent gourmand. One or two sprays of this stuff and I'm good to go for the entire day. Has a vibe that almost sparkles.
07th July, 2014
First of all, I am a huge fan of Maurice Roucel, who has made two of my all-time favorite scents- the lesser priced Rochas Man and the amazing New Haarlem. But as far as MR goes, I can't help but wonder what the hype is all about? Point blank- this smells like something a grandfather would wear back in the day. Nothing more and nothing less. The adjectives many in this forum use to describe this juice have me scratching my head, because here in LA, none of my friends think this smells good at all (unlike New Haarlem or Bleeker St, where total strangers ask what I am wearing) And it is not my skin as I am fortunate enough that cologne on my skin smells almost identical to cologne from the bottle.

Maybe this scent works better in NYC in the winter, but MR is a rare miscue by an otherwise rock star chemist. I'll stick to New Haarlem.
27th June, 2014
I know my friend "Omid Z" is not agree with me about the coffee scent but this is a really great coffee based fragrance with high quality and very nice smell.
The opening is very sweet and strong coffee scent mixed with patchouli note.
The sweetness is a little too much in the opening! So try to don't over spray it specially on your neck!
It will choke you without any doubt!
In the mid the sweetness settle down and you can smell stronger coffee scent with some patchouli in the background. the sweetness was syrupy in the opening but now in the mid I can clearly smell vanilla which is sweet but it's not as sweet as the opening. also the coffee scent is very dry and bitter which is really great.
In the base the patchouli note is almost gone and vanilla plus that beautiful bitter and dry coffee scent will follow you to the end.
The coffee scent in this fragrance is really great. I love it!
Good projection and longevity with this sucker!!
01st June, 2014
Gourmand thy name is New Haarlem. Sexy Pancakes is the best description I have had with this fragrance. It is a MONSTER on projection, silage, and lasts for 24+ on me.
05th May, 2014
Ghosst Show all reviews
Extremely sweet, even if it is a gourmand, it is sickly sweet, very sharp, and just gives an overpowering sense of ugh.... To life. However, as a hardcore fan of Creeds and Bonds, I would still enjoy a sample of it.
24th March, 2014
Nice parfum smells great not synthetic love the smell I would recommend this to anyone who loves gourmands one of the best coffe notes I've ever smelled in a fragrance projection beast longevity beast
29th January, 2014
This is an amazing perfume, rich expensive-smelling and unique. I have a 10 ml split of it that will probably last me years, because this isn't something you would wear, or want to wear every day. It's hard to find a perfect occasion to wear this -- doesn't work for the office, too special for casual, not really a romantic or date perfume. I've settled on wearing it Sunday mornings I spend with my wife.

Don't listen to people who say Michael Jordan Legend is a clone of this this. Maybe that was the intent with MJL, but in comparison it is cheap and loud and nowhere near as much fun.
22nd December, 2013

chet31 Show all reviews
On Occasion

Too syrupy for me to wear every day, but fun and different. As a vanillaphile, I much prefer Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York, but this is a nice change of pace.

24th October, 2013
Tony T Show all reviews
GOURMAND LOVER'S ONLY

I GET THE MAPLE SYRUP NOTE. ALSO the vanilla/Tonka. this is a superb scent with a hefty price tag. I have a decant that will be enough til I run out. I have plenty other gourmands/orientals that fit the bill but the bill is much cheaper. if you have the cash to splurge go ahead. if u don't such as myself their are plenty great alternatives.

Pros: LONGEVITY IS A BEAST
Cons: MAYBE 2 SWEET FOR SOME"

09th July, 2013
Gary F Show all reviews
Smooth, but Rather Linear

In the eternal battle between this and Rochas Man, I have to come down on the side of the latter. New Haarlem is wonderfully smooth and the longevity is much better than RM, but all I get on my skin is maple syrup. I love maple syrup, but won't spend $175 for a bottle. Rochas man blends this sweetness with lavender so beautifully and is 7 times cheaper. I'll stick with RM and reapply throughout the day as needed.

Pros: Wonderfully Smooth
Cons: One and Only One Prominent Note

20th June, 2013
New Haarlem

Sugar, cinnamon, syrup, coffee, vanilla and a little cream.  That with a fresh burst of powdery lavendar, which adds to the fragrance without being distracting or dominating it.  The opening is very nice, but it only gets better and better during drydown.  Projection and longevity are some of the best in the business (13+ hours and 1 spray does more than 3 sprays of most fragrances do).

As for the comparisons with Rochas Man, New Haarlem is better by far, and well worth the price difference.  Rochas Man, like many other fragrances, has gourmand elements in there, but isn't purely gourmand.  New Haarlem is dedicated to being a pure 100% gourmand.

Some will find this too sweet (and I've found many sweet fragrances cloying before), but to me, this is a wonderful fragrance, a mainstay in my collection, the best that Bond no 9 has to offer and one of the best (in my view) fragrances of all time.  Perfect score.

18th May, 2013
A powerful gourmand that everyone equates with pancakes and maple syrup. Unfortunately there is some spice note that projects beyond the tame syrup smell and gets annoying. While I wouldn't wear a pure gourmand like Montale's Chocolate Greedy, I can appreciate the fragrance. Not so with this. Unfortunately the cinnamon/nutmeg spice note ruins it. Couple that with the outrageous price tag, and I'll pass. Like always though- Bn9 frags are all powerful projectors and last 12+ hours.
02nd May, 2013
This gourmand smells like maple, vanilla, and coffee. I get a powerful, long-lasting cinnamon that isn't even listed that lingers on my skin. It nauseates me after a while. I was bemoaning another house where they always manage to put one note in their juice that overpowers and ruins an otherwise decent frag. and Bn9 is definitely does the same kind of thing.
13th March, 2013
Simply wonderful!

I get the coffee and coffee and lavender and coffee and vanilla and coffeer...

What a nice thing!!! Roucel you're a genius!!! Ok... I don't like Musc Ravageur that much... but you're a genius anyway (Envy, Tocade, Missoni...).

Sorry, but I must do this:
I smell only coffee... coffee and more cofee, a little harsh in the opening. GREAT lasting power GREAT sillage and projection TOO. TKS GOD! IT WORKS for me... Maybe because I'm young... LOL.

21st February, 2013
phi Show all reviews
New Zealand
This was love at first sniff for me and I'm so glad something in my collection really did live up to the hype. This can't possibly be given anything other than a positive review because at the very least it will project/last and other people will tell you how good you smell
15th February, 2013
Has anyone been to Taiwan, or Singapore? Or one the asian countries that sells bubble tea or boba, known in the west? There's this thing called pearls that you chew when you suck up the straw. When you go to a bubble tea shop you can smell them cooking the pearls, which are basically black balls of tapioca. The way they are cooked, I might be wrong, they are slow cooked in brown sugar syrup. This smells EXACTLY like the top notes of New Haarlem, and it made me smile because of how similar it is to queuing up for a cup of bubble tea.

I must say, it is sickly sweet, and I can understand why it's been said to smell like maple syrup and pancakes (believe me it smells more like pearls being cooked).

Unfortunately, for people like me interested in New Haarlem for the coffee note, look somewhere else. The coffee here is so subtle and if coffee wasn't listed as a note, I wouldn't be able to tell at all.

Definitely a compliment getter, but I would never wear this where I live. Just too hot no matter what time of the year, or day.
01st January, 2013
Coffe+Maple Syrup. Not kidding at all. Smells like maple syrup with some coffee. It's breakfast in a fragrance. If you dig sweet, syrupy coffees then this bad boy is your ultimate choice.
06th December, 2012
Very sweet, gives off a coffee-type vibe. I would definitely try this before buying given the price. I don't think it's very versatile but it is something I enjoy wearing from time to time. The projection, sillage, and longevity is fantastic!

9.5/10
06th November, 2012
I smell only coffee... coffee and more cofee, a little harsh in the opening. Good lasting power but weak sillage and projection. Did not work for me.
02nd November, 2012
If you closed your eyes and someone asked you to smell this frag, you would think it was a freshly baked cake in the vicinity. A lot of reviewers also hit it on the head with the pancakes and syrup smell. This is a nice gourmand frag which you will enjoy. I don't see myself wearing this frag consecutive days. I feel that way about all gourmand frags though.
11th October, 2012
Shon T Show all reviews
The best I own hands down. This fragrance evolves quickly to caramel and coffee and stays a long time. I quickly picked up on the high quality. It is better than A Men and does not smell like Rochas Man to me at all. I had purchased a roll on bottle and loved it. Then I decided to splurge for a real bottle as I like the roll on so much. And wow, the real bottle is so much better. I'm giving the roll on away. This stuff is awesome. If there is something better I need to smell it. Now I want to try other Bond fragrances as I have only smelled New Haarlem.
23rd September, 2012
Erok32 Show all reviews
I'm not sure how people can compare this to Rochas Man. The only similarities I can find are that they are both sweet, and contain vanilla. Otherwise, New Haarlem is far more complex and unique. I love both, but they do not smell remotely alike.
06th September, 2012
While I haven't tested out all of Bond's more masculine fragrances yet, New Haarlem has definitely been one of the stand-outs thus far. It's rich, layered and as most people who have worn Bond already know, projects and lasts extremely well. It leaves little doubt that it's of high quality. This one moves into the mid notes almost immediately for me, with a strong blast of coffee, and then lingers there for many hours. The syrupy, coffee mix really never completely wears off on my skin until I shower and scrub it off.

While there is a degree of bitterness in the coffee note to my nose, the wood, amber and vanilla do seem to balance it out fairly effectively for the most part. I have to admit, even though I've never been that heavily into gourmands, and am NOT a big coffee fragrance fan, I did genuinely appreciate catching whiffs of this one projecting around me when I wore it. I found it classy and pleasant, and could easily see myself wearing this (albeit in small doses) during a nice, cold-weather night out. Unfortunately, my wife said NH gave me an "old man" smell that she didn't appreciate nearly as much, so it doesn't look like a future purchase on my end. Looks like I'll be staying with the lighter/softer, older brother "Rochas Man" for me.

Edit: I've had to change my rating from neutral to positive. Even though it may not be one of my wife's favorites on me, I found this to really bloom even more once I was finally able to wear it in cooler weather. It's just so well done and sticks in my head, drawing me back to wear it more and more frequently. Truly one of Bonds best and a top notch gourmand IMO. It's turned me from someone who never really gave gourmands much attention, to quite preferring them in the cooler weather now.
18th August, 2012 (last edited: 19th October, 2012)
what a scent! i adore this stuff. vanilla-coffee meets maple syrup to make for the perfect breakfast gourmand that smells like coffee and french toast. an amazing scent and one i'll always own. projects and lasts for 8+ hours and you WILL get noticed with this one. hands down the best bond no.9 fragrance offering (along with silver factory).
a 10/10 in my eyes. modern and sexy. two HUGE thumbs up