Reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Find out more about New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

When this scent touches my skin, the most wonderful aroma of fresh black coffee arises, soon accompanied by a firm lavender with a herbal undertone. More into the drydown there is coffee and a cedar impression, although the coffee still dominates. Now the coffee is less fresh, a touch less intense and more like cafe au lait. In the base by a great twist the addition of tonka create the atmosphere of a cafe where maple syrup wafers are served, nut never too sweet, sickly or intrusive. In the first phases added bergamot adds freshness, and in the later stages an added ambery wood note prevents the sweetness to be to dominating. Coffee prevails throughout, albeit a bit in the background in the base. Although a great gourmand scent, its lack of intrusive sweetness makes it very wearable on me. It displays good silage and projection, but the longevity on me is utterly sensational: fourteen hours have passed and I can just still catch a whiff of......(a hint: it starts with c). On me this is the gold standard in coffee fragrances, a great, not too heavy winter gourmand.

21st July, 2014

Shaheen's avatar

Coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, and... pancake syrup? Sure, why not! New Haarlem reminds me of the holidays. It's an amazing and potent gourmand. One or two sprays of this stuff and I'm good to go for the entire day. Has a vibe that almost sparkles.

07 July, 2014

t-roy's avatar

First of all, I am a huge fan of Maurice Roucel, who has made two of my all-time favorite scents- the lesser priced Rochas Man and the amazing New Haarlem. But as far as MR goes, I can't help but wonder what the hype is all about? Point blank- this smells like something a grandfather would wear back in the day. Nothing more and nothing less. The adjectives many in this forum use to describe this juice have me scratching my head, because here in LA, none of my friends think this smells good at all (unlike New Haarlem or Bleeker St, where total strangers ask what I am wearing) And it is not my skin as I am fortunate enough that cologne on my skin smells almost identical to cologne from the bottle.

Maybe this scent works better in NYC in the winter, but MR is a rare miscue by an otherwise rock star chemist. I'll stick to New Haarlem.

27 June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I know my friend "Omid Z" is not agree with me about the coffee scent but this is a really great coffee based fragrance with high quality and very nice smell.
    The opening is very sweet and strong coffee scent mixed with patchouli note.
    The sweetness is a little too much in the opening! So try to don't over spray it specially on your neck!
    It will choke you without any doubt!
    In the mid the sweetness settle down and you can smell stronger coffee scent with some patchouli in the background. the sweetness was syrupy in the opening but now in the mid I can clearly smell vanilla which is sweet but it's not as sweet as the opening. also the coffee scent is very dry and bitter which is really great.
    In the base the patchouli note is almost gone and vanilla plus that beautiful bitter and dry coffee scent will follow you to the end.
    The coffee scent in this fragrance is really great. I love it!
    Good projection and longevity with this sucker!!

01st June, 2014

krsams1's avatar

Gourmand thy name is New Haarlem. Sexy Pancakes is the best description I have had with this fragrance. It is a MONSTER on projection, silage, and lasts for 24+ on me.

05 May, 2014

Ghosst's avatar

Extremely sweet, even if it is a gourmand, it is sickly sweet, very sharp, and just gives an overpowering sense of ugh.... To life. However, as a hardcore fan of Creeds and Bonds, I would still enjoy a sample of it.

24 March, 2014

Jerseypenasack's avatar

Nice parfum smells great not synthetic love the smell I would recommend this to anyone who loves gourmands one of the best coffe notes I've ever smelled in a fragrance projection beast longevity beast

29 January, 2014

Stinkpot's avatar

This is an amazing perfume, rich expensive-smelling and unique. I have a 10 ml split of it that will probably last me years, because this isn't something you would wear, or want to wear every day. It's hard to find a perfect occasion to wear this -- doesn't work for the office, too special for casual, not really a romantic or date perfume. I've settled on wearing it Sunday mornings I spend with my wife.

Don't listen to people who say Michael Jordan Legend is a clone of this this. Maybe that was the intent with MJL, but in comparison it is cheap and loud and nowhere near as much fun.

22 December, 2013

chet31's avatar

On Occasion

Too syrupy for me to wear every day, but fun and different. As a vanillaphile, I much prefer Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York, but this is a nice change of pace.

24 October, 2013

Tony T's avatar

GOURMAND LOVER'S ONLY

I GET THE MAPLE SYRUP NOTE. ALSO the vanilla/Tonka. this is a superb scent with a hefty price tag. I have a decant that will be enough til I run out. I have plenty other gourmands/orientals that fit the bill but the bill is much cheaper. if you have the cash to splurge go ahead. if u don't such as myself their are plenty great alternatives.

Pros: LONGEVITY IS A BEAST
    Cons: MAYBE 2 SWEET FOR SOME"

09 July, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Smooth, but Rather Linear

In the eternal battle between this and Rochas Man, I have to come down on the side of the latter. New Haarlem is wonderfully smooth and the longevity is much better than RM, but all I get on my skin is maple syrup. I love maple syrup, but won't spend $175 for a bottle. Rochas man blends this sweetness with lavender so beautifully and is 7 times cheaper. I'll stick with RM and reapply throughout the day as needed.

Pros: Wonderfully Smooth
    Cons: One and Only One Prominent Note

20th June, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

New Haarlem

Sugar, cinnamon, syrup, coffee, vanilla and a little cream.  That with a fresh burst of powdery lavendar, which adds to the fragrance without being distracting or dominating it.  The opening is very nice, but it only gets better and better during drydown.  Projection and longevity are some of the best in the business (13+ hours and 1 spray does more than 3 sprays of most fragrances do).

As for the comparisons with Rochas Man, New Haarlem is better by far, and well worth the price difference.  Rochas Man, like many other fragrances, has gourmand elements in there, but isn't purely gourmand.  New Haarlem is dedicated to being a pure 100% gourmand.

Some will find this too sweet (and I've found many sweet fragrances cloying before), but to me, this is a wonderful fragrance, a mainstay in my collection, the best that Bond no 9 has to offer and one of the best (in my view) fragrances of all time.  Perfect score.

18 May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

A powerful gourmand that everyone equates with pancakes and maple syrup. Unfortunately there is some spice note that projects beyond the tame syrup smell and gets annoying. While I wouldn't wear a pure gourmand like Montale's Chocolate Greedy, I can appreciate the fragrance. Not so with this. Unfortunately the cinnamon/nutmeg spice note ruins it. Couple that with the outrageous price tag, and I'll pass. Like always though- Bn9 frags are all powerful projectors and last 12+ hours.

02 May, 2013

Diogenes65's avatar

This gourmand smells like maple, vanilla, and coffee. I get a powerful, long-lasting cinnamon that isn't even listed that lingers on my skin. It nauseates me after a while. I was bemoaning another house where they always manage to put one note in their juice that overpowers and ruins an otherwise decent frag. and Bn9 is definitely does the same kind of thing.

13 March, 2013

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Simply wonderful!

I get the coffee and coffee and lavender and coffee and vanilla and coffeer...

What a nice thing!!! Roucel you're a genius!!! Ok... I don't like Musc Ravageur that much... but you're a genius anyway (Envy, Tocade, Missoni...).

Sorry, but I must do this:
    I smell only coffee... coffee and more cofee, a little harsh in the opening. GREAT lasting power GREAT sillage and projection TOO. TKS GOD! IT WORKS for me... Maybe because I'm young... LOL.

21st February, 2013

phi's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

This was love at first sniff for me and I'm so glad something in my collection really did live up to the hype. This can't possibly be given anything other than a positive review because at the very least it will project/last and other people will tell you how good you smell

15 February, 2013

dudelove's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Has anyone been to Taiwan, or Singapore? Or one the asian countries that sells bubble tea or boba, known in the west? There's this thing called pearls that you chew when you suck up the straw. When you go to a bubble tea shop you can smell them cooking the pearls, which are basically black balls of tapioca. The way they are cooked, I might be wrong, they are slow cooked in brown sugar syrup. This smells EXACTLY like the top notes of New Haarlem, and it made me smile because of how similar it is to queuing up for a cup of bubble tea.

I must say, it is sickly sweet, and I can understand why it's been said to smell like maple syrup and pancakes (believe me it smells more like pearls being cooked).

Unfortunately, for people like me interested in New Haarlem for the coffee note, look somewhere else. The coffee here is so subtle and if coffee wasn't listed as a note, I wouldn't be able to tell at all.

Definitely a compliment getter, but I would never wear this where I live. Just too hot no matter what time of the year, or day.

01st January, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Coffe+Maple Syrup. Not kidding at all. Smells like maple syrup with some coffee. It's breakfast in a fragrance. If you dig sweet, syrupy coffees then this bad boy is your ultimate choice.

06 December, 2012

mlsweeney's avatar

Very sweet, gives off a coffee-type vibe. I would definitely try this before buying given the price. I don't think it's very versatile but it is something I enjoy wearing from time to time. The projection, sillage, and longevity is fantastic!

9.5/10

06 November, 2012

's avatar

I smell only coffee... coffee and more cofee, a little harsh in the opening. Good lasting power but weak sillage and projection. Did not work for me.

02 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

If you closed your eyes and someone asked you to smell this frag, you would think it was a freshly baked cake in the vicinity. A lot of reviewers also hit it on the head with the pancakes and syrup smell. This is a nice gourmand frag which you will enjoy. I don't see myself wearing this frag consecutive days. I feel that way about all gourmand frags though.

11th October, 2012

Shon T's avatar

The best I own hands down. This fragrance evolves quickly to caramel and coffee and stays a long time. I quickly picked up on the high quality. It is better than A Men and does not smell like Rochas Man to me at all. I had purchased a roll on bottle and loved it. Then I decided to splurge for a real bottle as I like the roll on so much. And wow, the real bottle is so much better. I'm giving the roll on away. This stuff is awesome. If there is something better I need to smell it. Now I want to try other Bond fragrances as I have only smelled New Haarlem.

23 September, 2012

Erok32's avatar

I'm not sure how people can compare this to Rochas Man. The only similarities I can find are that they are both sweet, and contain vanilla. Otherwise, New Haarlem is far more complex and unique. I love both, but they do not smell remotely alike.

06 September, 2012

fit&frag'd's avatar

While I haven't tested out all of Bond's more masculine fragrances yet, New Haarlem has definitely been one of the stand-outs thus far. It's rich, layered and as most people who have worn Bond already know, projects and lasts extremely well. It leaves little doubt that it's of high quality. This one moves into the mid notes almost immediately for me, with a strong blast of coffee, and then lingers there for many hours. The syrupy, coffee mix really never completely wears off on my skin until I shower and scrub it off.

While there is a degree of bitterness in the coffee note to my nose, the wood, amber and vanilla do seem to balance it out fairly effectively for the most part. I have to admit, even though I've never been that heavily into gourmands, and am NOT a big coffee fragrance fan, I did genuinely appreciate catching whiffs of this one projecting around me when I wore it. I found it classy and pleasant, and could easily see myself wearing this (albeit in small doses) during a nice, cold-weather night out. Unfortunately, my wife said NH gave me an "old man" smell that she didn't appreciate nearly as much, so it doesn't look like a future purchase on my end. Looks like I'll be staying with the lighter/softer, older brother "Rochas Man" for me.

Edit: I've had to change my rating from neutral to positive. Even though it may not be one of my wife's favorites on me, I found this to really bloom even more once I was finally able to wear it in cooler weather. It's just so well done and sticks in my head, drawing me back to wear it more and more frequently. Truly one of Bonds best and a top notch gourmand IMO. It's turned me from someone who never really gave gourmands much attention, to quite preferring them in the cooler weather now.

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2012)

TOONS1200's avatar

what a scent! i adore this stuff. vanilla-coffee meets maple syrup to make for the perfect breakfast gourmand that smells like coffee and french toast. an amazing scent and one i'll always own. projects and lasts for 8+ hours and you WILL get noticed with this one. hands down the best bond no.9 fragrance offering (along with silver factory).
    a 10/10 in my eyes. modern and sexy. two HUGE thumbs up

15 August, 2012

sasqwer's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

This particular Bond no.9 is a jewel. It shines as The Golden Age people have been longing for. Its powerful opulent structure connects perfectly delicious vanilla with coffee note that smells divine. Harmonic image, yet aggressive and challenging enough, substantially pleasant for everyone near by. Makes me dream about indulging into its splendour. To top it off, the functional aspects of this fragrance are above limits.

Several remarks: 1) you might brand it as an unisex but you want to smell it on a man. 2) New Haarlem has that evening/important dinner/occasion quality you will appreciate when choosing such fragrance. 3) Projection and lasting power are superb, I get over 10h every single time. 4) Lovely bottle (as all the Bond no.9's). 5) Compliment factor as if driving a Bentley.

13 June, 2012

frostyicy's avatar

I really really wanted to love this fragrance but I just can't. I love and hate this fragrance for one single reason.

Perfumer Maurice Roucel cloned his first creation Rochas Man with this one. That's all I get with this fragrance. I do love Rochas Man, yet I can not fully love New Haarlem even tho they smell pretty much identical. Why you may ask???

Simple the price tag. I can not warrant a 3.3oz for retail $230 when you have the older brother 3.4oz retail for $45 tops. The fragrances are just too much alike for such a big difference in the price tag (and I do own some Bond no.9 fragrances).

I know many love New Haarlem and as far as the smell I love it too. Yet I feel that there may be some who actually get caught in the hype of wearing an expensive fragrance rather than the overall smell of the fragrance. Sure there a subtle differences there (RM is pancakes with syrup and coffee, NH is french toast with extra syrup and Mocha), but the differences are not significant enough to justify such a high price tag for me. I will admit that there are differences in longevity and projection as New Haarlem is a beast.

I will still give this fragrance a thumbs up because I am judging the juice inside not the price tag yet I will caution people to definitely get a sample of this and also sample Rochas Man side by side and make your own decision.

Sillage/Projection: 10/10
    Longevity 10/10
    Scent: 9/10
    Compliment factor: 9/10
    Purpose: 8/10
    Season: Any season. Will work preferably Fall and Winter. Can be worn in cooler parts of Spring and cooler nights in Summer but be careful with the trigger.
    Bang for the buck: Not worthy of the price tag, Rochas Man is a great, great, GREAT alternative for 6 times cheaper.

23 May, 2012

dougczar's avatar

Finally got my hands on a sample of this from Bond No. 9. Put it on about 2 hours ago... Yep - pancakes & maple syrup! If I try, I can pick out some of the various notes, but it's hard to get past the smell like the waiter at IHOP dumped my breakfast in my lap.

I also find this a little too sweet and cloying. Unfortunately, my wife seems to LOVE it on me! So, what am I supposed to do now? I guess I'll be in the market for this soon.

19 May, 2012

killerloop's avatar

Butter, maple syrup, pancakes, and a weak coffee fragrance. Very unique, but not for me, and I am a gourmand addict.

18 May, 2012

's avatar

I don't smell the coffee in this, which kind of disappoints me because thats what I was looking for when I bought this. HOWEVER...... this does remind me of maple syrup on pancakes with a cube of butter. My wife loves it, and to her dismay so do other women.

01st April, 2012