Negative Reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Find out more about New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

A powerful gourmand that everyone equates with pancakes and maple syrup. Unfortunately there is some spice note that projects beyond the tame syrup smell and gets annoying. While I wouldn't wear a pure gourmand like Montale's Chocolate Greedy, I can appreciate the fragrance. Not so with this. Unfortunately the cinnamon/nutmeg spice note ruins it. Couple that with the outrageous price tag, and I'll pass. Like always though- Bn9 frags are all powerful projectors and last 12+ hours.

02 May, 2013

's avatar

I smell only coffee... coffee and more cofee, a little harsh in the opening. Good lasting power but weak sillage and projection. Did not work for me.

02 November, 2012

deejay2's avatar
    deejay2

I'm dissapointed. Some people sompare this fragrance with Rochas Man. They have some similarities but Rochas Man is a lot better in my oppinion and also alooooot cheaper. I was searching for New Haarlem sample very hard but now I can see that I expected way too much. I think some note in New Haarlem bothers me a lot and thats why I don't like it.

28 August, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

This fragrance is like having thick maple syrup poured onto your skin that has a funky coffee vibe. It's way to sweet and very cloying and makes you feel uncomfortable. Rochas Man is so much better and lighter without the thick syrupy feel to it

26 August, 2011

irishgraham's avatar
    irishgraham

If you want to smell like someone has dumped a half-eaten dessert over you and it has fermented on your clothes for 4 days, then go for this.

Otherwise, avoid like the plague.

27 April, 2011

Chino's avatar
    Chino

Very sweet scent right off the bat. I got whiffs of vanilla & syrup/honey. LeMale's review states "burnt marshmallows" & I also smelled something similar. Not a bad scent but this is something I know I wouldn't wear. At the moment, this scent just drags me down during it's performance. It becomes annoying with time. Not for me.

28 April, 2010

funky lion's avatar
    funky lion

Couldn't stand it. Too shrill coffee note, makes me sneeze. Sweet, sweet, sweet - nothing more. Lots of staying power - I wish I liked the scent!

05 February, 2010

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

The top notes are bitter and harsh. This coffee is burnt. Rochas Man is smoother and nicer to wear -- won't cost you an arm and a leg either.

20th April, 2009

Randolph314's avatar
    Randolph314

New Haarlem is very nice, but it's a blatant rip-off of Rochas Man. Considering it's also about four times the pirce of Rochas Man, I can't see the point in ever buying it, although it does last a bit longer.

05 November, 2006

vadim's avatar
    vadim
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Lots of coffee and vanilla (with little else). But definitely not as good as real coffee and vanilla. This one falls into the same category as Demeter and many CdG's, namely non-fragrance scents. Yawn...

06 September, 2006

Rockford's avatar
    Rockford

I love the way New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 smells when it is sprayed on a card. It is just so mouth-wateringly delicious with notes of coffee, cedar, vanilla, lavender, and bergamot. On the card, it’s a wonderful gourmand; some would even argue that it is the best gourmand ever. But eventually, I sprayed New Haarlem on my skin, and then it was a completely different story, and the fragrance was not at all attractive. I also realized that although I greatly appreciated New Haarlem’s gourmand fragrance, I did not particularly want my person to smell like a vanilla cappuccino. I have never had this kind of my reaction to any other fragrance. This fragrance is absolutely fantastic….until it is applied to my skin. Somebody else will have to buy and wear New Haarlem, because it won’t be me.

14 March, 2006