Reviews

Negative Reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

If I wanted to smell like this I would go to the closest Starbucks, get a cafe au lait, put tons of sugar and vanilla and pour it all over me.
I like the smell of coffee, but not ON me, capiche?
10th January, 2015
First of all, I am a huge fan of Maurice Roucel, who has made two of my all-time favorite scents- the lesser priced Rochas Man and the amazing New Haarlem. But as far as MR goes, I can't help but wonder what the hype is all about? Point blank- this smells like something a grandfather would wear back in the day. Nothing more and nothing less. The adjectives many in this forum use to describe this juice have me scratching my head, because here in LA, none of my friends think this smells good at all (unlike New Haarlem or Bleeker St, where total strangers ask what I am wearing) And it is not my skin as I am fortunate enough that cologne on my skin smells almost identical to cologne from the bottle.

Maybe this scent works better in NYC in the winter, but MR is a rare miscue by an otherwise rock star chemist. I'll stick to New Haarlem.
27th June, 2014
A powerful gourmand that everyone equates with pancakes and maple syrup. Unfortunately there is some spice note that projects beyond the tame syrup smell and gets annoying. While I wouldn't wear a pure gourmand like Montale's Chocolate Greedy, I can appreciate the fragrance. Not so with this. Unfortunately the cinnamon/nutmeg spice note ruins it. Couple that with the outrageous price tag, and I'll pass. Like always though- Bn9 frags are all powerful projectors and last 12+ hours.
02nd May, 2013
I smell only coffee... coffee and more cofee, a little harsh in the opening. Good lasting power but weak sillage and projection. Did not work for me.
02nd November, 2012
I'm dissapointed. Some people sompare this fragrance with Rochas Man. They have some similarities but Rochas Man is a lot better in my oppinion and also alooooot cheaper. I was searching for New Haarlem sample very hard but now I can see that I expected way too much. I think some note in New Haarlem bothers me a lot and thats why I don't like it.
28th August, 2011
This fragrance is like having thick maple syrup poured onto your skin that has a funky coffee vibe. It's way to sweet and very cloying and makes you feel uncomfortable. Rochas Man is so much better and lighter without the thick syrupy feel to it
26th August, 2011
If you want to smell like someone has dumped a half-eaten dessert over you and it has fermented on your clothes for 4 days, then go for this.

Otherwise, avoid like the plague.
27th April, 2011
Chino Show all reviews
Very sweet scent right off the bat. I got whiffs of vanilla & syrup/honey. LeMale's review states "burnt marshmallows" & I also smelled something similar. Not a bad scent but this is something I know I wouldn't wear. At the moment, this scent just drags me down during it's performance. It becomes annoying with time. Not for me.
28th April, 2010
Couldn't stand it. Too shrill coffee note, makes me sneeze. Sweet, sweet, sweet - nothing more. Lots of staying power - I wish I liked the scent!
05th February, 2010
Kaern Show all reviews
The top notes are bitter and harsh. This coffee is burnt. Rochas Man is smoother and nicer to wear -- won't cost you an arm and a leg either.
20th April, 2009
New Haarlem is very nice, but it's a blatant rip-off of Rochas Man. Considering it's also about four times the pirce of Rochas Man, I can't see the point in ever buying it, although it does last a bit longer.
05th November, 2006
vadim Show all reviews
Russian Federation
Lots of coffee and vanilla (with little else). But definitely not as good as real coffee and vanilla. This one falls into the same category as Demeter and many CdG's, namely non-fragrance scents. Yawn...
06th September, 2006
I love the way New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 smells when it is sprayed on a card. It is just so mouth-wateringly delicious with notes of coffee, cedar, vanilla, lavender, and bergamot. On the card, it’s a wonderful gourmand; some would even argue that it is the best gourmand ever. But eventually, I sprayed New Haarlem on my skin, and then it was a completely different story, and the fragrance was not at all attractive. I also realized that although I greatly appreciated New Haarlem’s gourmand fragrance, I did not particularly want my person to smell like a vanilla cappuccino. I have never had this kind of my reaction to any other fragrance. This fragrance is absolutely fantastic….until it is applied to my skin. Somebody else will have to buy and wear New Haarlem, because it won’t be me.
14th March, 2006