Positive Reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Find out more about New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

When this scent touches my skin, the most wonderful aroma of fresh black coffee arises, soon accompanied by a firm lavender with a herbal undertone. More into the drydown there is coffee and a cedar impression, although the coffee still dominates. Now the coffee is less fresh, a touch less intense and more like cafe au lait. In the base by a great twist the addition of tonka create the atmosphere of a cafe where maple syrup wafers are served, nut never too sweet, sickly or intrusive. In the first phases added bergamot adds freshness, and in the later stages an added ambery wood note prevents the sweetness to be to dominating. Coffee prevails throughout, albeit a bit in the background in the base. Although a great gourmand scent, its lack of intrusive sweetness makes it very wearable on me. It displays good silage and projection, but the longevity on me is utterly sensational: fourteen hours have passed and I can just still catch a whiff of......(a hint: it starts with c). On me this is the gold standard in coffee fragrances, a great, not too heavy winter gourmand.

21st July, 2014

Shaheen's avatar

Coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, and... pancake syrup? Sure, why not! New Haarlem reminds me of the holidays. It's an amazing and potent gourmand. One or two sprays of this stuff and I'm good to go for the entire day. Has a vibe that almost sparkles.

07 July, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I know my friend "Omid Z" is not agree with me about the coffee scent but this is a really great coffee based fragrance with high quality and very nice smell.
    The opening is very sweet and strong coffee scent mixed with patchouli note.
    The sweetness is a little too much in the opening! So try to don't over spray it specially on your neck!
    It will choke you without any doubt!
    In the mid the sweetness settle down and you can smell stronger coffee scent with some patchouli in the background. the sweetness was syrupy in the opening but now in the mid I can clearly smell vanilla which is sweet but it's not as sweet as the opening. also the coffee scent is very dry and bitter which is really great.
    In the base the patchouli note is almost gone and vanilla plus that beautiful bitter and dry coffee scent will follow you to the end.
    The coffee scent in this fragrance is really great. I love it!
    Good projection and longevity with this sucker!!

01st June, 2014

krsams1's avatar

Gourmand thy name is New Haarlem. Sexy Pancakes is the best description I have had with this fragrance. It is a MONSTER on projection, silage, and lasts for 24+ on me.

05 May, 2014

Jerseypenasack's avatar

Nice parfum smells great not synthetic love the smell I would recommend this to anyone who loves gourmands one of the best coffe notes I've ever smelled in a fragrance projection beast longevity beast

29 January, 2014

Stinkpot's avatar

This is an amazing perfume, rich expensive-smelling and unique. I have a 10 ml split of it that will probably last me years, because this isn't something you would wear, or want to wear every day. It's hard to find a perfect occasion to wear this -- doesn't work for the office, too special for casual, not really a romantic or date perfume. I've settled on wearing it Sunday mornings I spend with my wife.

Don't listen to people who say Michael Jordan Legend is a clone of this this. Maybe that was the intent with MJL, but in comparison it is cheap and loud and nowhere near as much fun.

22 December, 2013

chet31's avatar

On Occasion

Too syrupy for me to wear every day, but fun and different. As a vanillaphile, I much prefer Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York, but this is a nice change of pace.

24 October, 2013

Tony T's avatar

GOURMAND LOVER'S ONLY

I GET THE MAPLE SYRUP NOTE. ALSO the vanilla/Tonka. this is a superb scent with a hefty price tag. I have a decant that will be enough til I run out. I have plenty other gourmands/orientals that fit the bill but the bill is much cheaper. if you have the cash to splurge go ahead. if u don't such as myself their are plenty great alternatives.

Pros: LONGEVITY IS A BEAST
    Cons: MAYBE 2 SWEET FOR SOME"

09 July, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

New Haarlem

Sugar, cinnamon, syrup, coffee, vanilla and a little cream.  That with a fresh burst of powdery lavendar, which adds to the fragrance without being distracting or dominating it.  The opening is very nice, but it only gets better and better during drydown.  Projection and longevity are some of the best in the business (13+ hours and 1 spray does more than 3 sprays of most fragrances do).

As for the comparisons with Rochas Man, New Haarlem is better by far, and well worth the price difference.  Rochas Man, like many other fragrances, has gourmand elements in there, but isn't purely gourmand.  New Haarlem is dedicated to being a pure 100% gourmand.

Some will find this too sweet (and I've found many sweet fragrances cloying before), but to me, this is a wonderful fragrance, a mainstay in my collection, the best that Bond no 9 has to offer and one of the best (in my view) fragrances of all time.  Perfect score.

18 May, 2013

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Simply wonderful!

I get the coffee and coffee and lavender and coffee and vanilla and coffeer...

What a nice thing!!! Roucel you're a genius!!! Ok... I don't like Musc Ravageur that much... but you're a genius anyway (Envy, Tocade, Missoni...).

Sorry, but I must do this:
    I smell only coffee... coffee and more cofee, a little harsh in the opening. GREAT lasting power GREAT sillage and projection TOO. TKS GOD! IT WORKS for me... Maybe because I'm young... LOL.

21st February, 2013

phi's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

This was love at first sniff for me and I'm so glad something in my collection really did live up to the hype. This can't possibly be given anything other than a positive review because at the very least it will project/last and other people will tell you how good you smell

15 February, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Coffe+Maple Syrup. Not kidding at all. Smells like maple syrup with some coffee. It's breakfast in a fragrance. If you dig sweet, syrupy coffees then this bad boy is your ultimate choice.

06 December, 2012

mlsweeney's avatar

Very sweet, gives off a coffee-type vibe. I would definitely try this before buying given the price. I don't think it's very versatile but it is something I enjoy wearing from time to time. The projection, sillage, and longevity is fantastic!

9.5/10

06 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

If you closed your eyes and someone asked you to smell this frag, you would think it was a freshly baked cake in the vicinity. A lot of reviewers also hit it on the head with the pancakes and syrup smell. This is a nice gourmand frag which you will enjoy. I don't see myself wearing this frag consecutive days. I feel that way about all gourmand frags though.

11th October, 2012

Shon T's avatar

The best I own hands down. This fragrance evolves quickly to caramel and coffee and stays a long time. I quickly picked up on the high quality. It is better than A Men and does not smell like Rochas Man to me at all. I had purchased a roll on bottle and loved it. Then I decided to splurge for a real bottle as I like the roll on so much. And wow, the real bottle is so much better. I'm giving the roll on away. This stuff is awesome. If there is something better I need to smell it. Now I want to try other Bond fragrances as I have only smelled New Haarlem.

23 September, 2012

Erok32's avatar

I'm not sure how people can compare this to Rochas Man. The only similarities I can find are that they are both sweet, and contain vanilla. Otherwise, New Haarlem is far more complex and unique. I love both, but they do not smell remotely alike.

06 September, 2012

fit&frag'd's avatar

While I haven't tested out all of Bond's more masculine fragrances yet, New Haarlem has definitely been one of the stand-outs thus far. It's rich, layered and as most people who have worn Bond already know, projects and lasts extremely well. It leaves little doubt that it's of high quality. This one moves into the mid notes almost immediately for me, with a strong blast of coffee, and then lingers there for many hours. The syrupy, coffee mix really never completely wears off on my skin until I shower and scrub it off.

While there is a degree of bitterness in the coffee note to my nose, the wood, amber and vanilla do seem to balance it out fairly effectively for the most part. I have to admit, even though I've never been that heavily into gourmands, and am NOT a big coffee fragrance fan, I did genuinely appreciate catching whiffs of this one projecting around me when I wore it. I found it classy and pleasant, and could easily see myself wearing this (albeit in small doses) during a nice, cold-weather night out. Unfortunately, my wife said NH gave me an "old man" smell that she didn't appreciate nearly as much, so it doesn't look like a future purchase on my end. Looks like I'll be staying with the lighter/softer, older brother "Rochas Man" for me.

Edit: I've had to change my rating from neutral to positive. Even though it may not be one of my wife's favorites on me, I found this to really bloom even more once I was finally able to wear it in cooler weather. It's just so well done and sticks in my head, drawing me back to wear it more and more frequently. Truly one of Bonds best and a top notch gourmand IMO. It's turned me from someone who never really gave gourmands much attention, to quite preferring them in the cooler weather now.

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2012)

TOONS1200's avatar

what a scent! i adore this stuff. vanilla-coffee meets maple syrup to make for the perfect breakfast gourmand that smells like coffee and french toast. an amazing scent and one i'll always own. projects and lasts for 8+ hours and you WILL get noticed with this one. hands down the best bond no.9 fragrance offering (along with silver factory).
    a 10/10 in my eyes. modern and sexy. two HUGE thumbs up

15 August, 2012

sasqwer's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

This particular Bond no.9 is a jewel. It shines as The Golden Age people have been longing for. Its powerful opulent structure connects perfectly delicious vanilla with coffee note that smells divine. Harmonic image, yet aggressive and challenging enough, substantially pleasant for everyone near by. Makes me dream about indulging into its splendour. To top it off, the functional aspects of this fragrance are above limits.

Several remarks: 1) you might brand it as an unisex but you want to smell it on a man. 2) New Haarlem has that evening/important dinner/occasion quality you will appreciate when choosing such fragrance. 3) Projection and lasting power are superb, I get over 10h every single time. 4) Lovely bottle (as all the Bond no.9's). 5) Compliment factor as if driving a Bentley.

13 June, 2012

frostyicy's avatar

I really really wanted to love this fragrance but I just can't. I love and hate this fragrance for one single reason.

Perfumer Maurice Roucel cloned his first creation Rochas Man with this one. That's all I get with this fragrance. I do love Rochas Man, yet I can not fully love New Haarlem even tho they smell pretty much identical. Why you may ask???

Simple the price tag. I can not warrant a 3.3oz for retail $230 when you have the older brother 3.4oz retail for $45 tops. The fragrances are just too much alike for such a big difference in the price tag (and I do own some Bond no.9 fragrances).

I know many love New Haarlem and as far as the smell I love it too. Yet I feel that there may be some who actually get caught in the hype of wearing an expensive fragrance rather than the overall smell of the fragrance. Sure there a subtle differences there (RM is pancakes with syrup and coffee, NH is french toast with extra syrup and Mocha), but the differences are not significant enough to justify such a high price tag for me. I will admit that there are differences in longevity and projection as New Haarlem is a beast.

I will still give this fragrance a thumbs up because I am judging the juice inside not the price tag yet I will caution people to definitely get a sample of this and also sample Rochas Man side by side and make your own decision.

Sillage/Projection: 10/10
    Longevity 10/10
    Scent: 9/10
    Compliment factor: 9/10
    Purpose: 8/10
    Season: Any season. Will work preferably Fall and Winter. Can be worn in cooler parts of Spring and cooler nights in Summer but be careful with the trigger.
    Bang for the buck: Not worthy of the price tag, Rochas Man is a great, great, GREAT alternative for 6 times cheaper.

23 May, 2012

's avatar

I don't smell the coffee in this, which kind of disappoints me because thats what I was looking for when I bought this. HOWEVER...... this does remind me of maple syrup on pancakes with a cube of butter. My wife loves it, and to her dismay so do other women.

01st April, 2012

Dai Capp's avatar

Maple syrup yes, caramel latte yes, something slightly medicinal underlying that stops it getting too sweet. The upfront lavendar is barely there it passes so quickly as a prominent note but I wonder if this is what settles into the background and lends the medicinal quality.

I really like this, I'm getting into gourmands having always gone for more smokey and heavy stuff before and this is a great addition to the wardrobe.

31st March, 2012

Preston H's avatar

This stuff smells like maple syrup. I like maple syrup. Oh, and it lasts all day

22 March, 2012

ArkangeL's avatar

New Haarlem instantly took me to a familiar place, and it was not Rochas Man or Michael Jordan Legend. This scent is far more sophisticated. It brought me back to Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe, only drenched in maple and brown sugar. I now understand the "syrupy" quality. Not sweet and sticky, such as pancake syrup... but a natural syrup that borderlines being resinous, however the coffee and vanilla keeps it in check so that it stays on gourmand grounds. Bergamot and lavender? Yeah, for the opening of the show... then they quickly go into hiding. New Haarlem gets better with time and actually becomes less sweet. Coffee is most assuredly the dominant note, and the ingredient that is initially responsible for this fragrance being unisex. The reason it reminds me so much of Black Vetyver Cafe is because the coffee is raw. You're not going to get an A*Men Pure Coffee feel, so remain open-minded throughout the duration of your New Haarlem experience. The projection and longevity is a solid 10 and then some. So if this should not be your cup of tea, you'll find the quality undeniably incredible.

21st March, 2012

Dmotron's avatar

Very nicely done. Gotta be in a mood to wear this but its done so wellwith that coffee and dessert scent that its worth wearing. I like gormands but not foody ones but this is a exception. unfortunately I live in Texas so we get cool weather for 3 months and for someone like me switching frags this doesn't get as much wearings but its a goody!

15 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2012)

mmafreak's avatar

Brazil Brazil

The perfect gourmand. Coffee, lavander. a bit of green and vanilla. Delicious, a must have for gourmand fanatics.

24 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 February, 2012)

Distinguished_Gentleman's avatar

Love the coffee note in this one. It takes over right away as the lavender and bergamot leave quickly. I get some spices in there as well. Closely resembles Rochas man. But this is on another level. Another great fragrance from Maurice Roucel. highly suggest for anyone looking for coffee mocha vibe.

30th December, 2011

surge's avatar

This fragrance is AWESOME...TF Tobacco Vanille has met it's match.
    This is officially my new favorite smoky vanilla scent.
    The coffee in it is so great.

EDIT:

After sampling a majority of the bond scents, I can say with pride that this is definitely the best masculine fragrance they have to offer. I think I'm changing my mind about it being better than TF's TB...it's a close one that's for sure. I've also found that layering this with Hermes Terre works amazingly well...Terre on the bottom, splash of new harlem on top. MM smells so good.

25 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 January, 2012)

Oproust's avatar

New Haarlem is a superb woody oriental fragrance designed by the esteemed Maurice Roucel. Roucel also created the wonderful Rochas Man. I do not consider these two fragrances to be clones. New Haarlem is all about coffee, dark rich coffee exquisitely paired with a lavender-maple syrup accord and a cedarwood note that is a very effective bridge between the primary accords, while simultaneously providing a sturdy base for the entire structure. Rochas Man is centered on a lavender-chocolate accord, with a faint coffee sidekick. I agree with others that as the dry down occurs, New Haarlem more closely resembles Rochas Man. However, in the end, the the rich coffee note and how it gracefully interweaves with the vanilla note is what makes New Haarlem work so well. New Haarlem is a relatively complex scent, certainly more so than Rochas Man. I can't think of a more delicious gourmand than New Haarlem, although I'm open to suggestions, as I know they are legion.

20th December, 2011

Matt14's avatar

smells really sweet. i do smell lavender but after the first 2 minutes, it becomes very feint where you can only smell it if your nose is on the skin. i smell cinnamon all throughout the whole day but its somewhat light. i smell maple syrup more than anything but in a good way. i can see why some people wouldn't like this due to it being pretty heavy but in my opinion i would only wear this on a cold day. longevity is 10+ hours easy. projection is nothing amazing but still better than most (i only have the sample vial so that could affect the projection.)

definitely worth sampling if you like cinnamon rolls or pancakes even though its more complex than that.

21st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2011)