Reviews of 1828 by Histoires de Parfums

Find out more about 1828 by Histoires de Parfums in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Oviatt's avatar

1828 is a very nice scent from this house. I have been wearing it for a few days and have been strongly reminded of something and it finally came to me--this reminds me of a cooler Endymion, which is one of my favorite scents. Citrus on top, nutmeg and pepper in the middle and woods and incense down below in both cases. I say cooler because of the astringent eucalyptus in the top notes and the lack of the gourmand coffee note that appears in Endymion. Taken on its own merits, this is very good and something I am comfortable wearing and it performs well in the heat as well as in cooler weather. Histoires de Parfums, with its literary inspirations, is a very interesting house, although I do not really get Victorian travel when I smell this--around the world, to the center of the earth or under the sea. This is too much of a sexy and modern comfort scent to summon up Fogg and and his valet Passepartout although if this is what adventurers smelled like back then, I say let the journey begin!

23 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

I would have expected the listed eucalyptus top note to jump out at me, but its familiar camphoraceous blast is nowhere to be sensed. In fact, this scent is oddly elusive when it’s first applied. Only after an hour or more of wear does 1828’s shy, irresolute citrus/floral nebula coalesce into a tangible accord of spiced wood and rose. Even then, 1828 is a staid and taciturn fragrance, all discretion and propriety. It strikes me as the most “historical” in mood of the Histoires de Parfums scents I’ve tried; so resolutely Edwardian that I can practically hear an Elgar march if I hold the sample vial to my ear.

In keeping with its overall reserve, 1828 offers little by way of sillage or projection. Instead, it’s the kind of scent you have to seek out on the skin. I might consider the search worth making were 1828 possessed of more obvious flair, but I think it lacks the character to make up for its reticence. Insufficiently distinctive or assertive for its high price, 1828 leaves me disappointed.

09 June, 2014

Fresh, primarily pseudo-citrus opening – pleasant and original – it has a dignified herbal aura to it as is usual for a Histoires de Parfums fragrance; I think of that sophisticated herbal nimbus of the opening as the Histoires de Parfums’ house accord. There is eucalyptus listed in the pyramid but I don’t get very much of it – it doesn’t come on strongly as eucalyptus usually does for me in fragrances, but what I can determine of the eucalyptus is beautifully neutralized by the nutmeg – again, a typical device of HdP. As usual, I don’t smell pepper, but the cedar, incense, vetiver, and pinecone accord arises from the citrus / eucalyptus / nutmeg opening accord with a beautiful, sophisticated, and gentle movement that lasts from heartnotes to the end of the base.

1828 Jules Verne is a translucent, natural, sophisticated, genuinely unisex fragrance that stays very close to the skin. It lasts about 3 or 4 hours on my dry skin.

(Afterthought: 1828 Jules Verne’s performance and ambiance is intriguing and subtle – so subtle that I lost track of the larger picture of it. It definitely provides a maritime feeling, but with the beautifully-structured herbal aura. Somehow I neglected using the word “aquatic” in this review. My realization and acceptance of this as a maritime theme occurred as a surprise to me: “Why didn’t I think ‘maritime’?” I guess because it is so uniquely natural when compared to most aquatics.)

21st February, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

It's a really good and pleasant citrus based fragrance with lots of woods and spices surrounding the citrusy notes.
    The opening is a fresh and at the same time spicy citrusy scent with some woods and some sweetness in the background and I must admit that the quality is really good!
    I can clearly smell tangerin and some other citruses like lemon and grapefruit, but the tangerine note is a little more prominent than other citruses.
    There is a sharp peppery smell too and that's because of pepper and nutmeg but it's mostly pepper.
    You can smell a very transparent and light woods too, but it's completely in the background.
    As time goes by, the woods become stronger and incense kick in! the woods and incense combo create a dusty woody scent and they push the citruses in the background.
    You can still smell the spices but they are not that strong like the opening.
    In this part you will realize that this is not a fragrance for hot summer days because that woods and incense combo is a little too much and may get cloying in hot weather.
    I believe it's a great scent for spring.
    In the base the woods and incense and spices settle down and it's really interesting that the citruses are still there and you can smell them.
    I can smell really weak tangerin and other citruses plus very light woods and spices in the background.
    Projection is good and longevity is above average on my skin.
    All and all, it's not a very different type of citrus based fragrance but it's really pleasant and also quality is really good.
    Also the tangerin note is really natural and pleasant in this fragrance and I think it's the best part of the scent.

16 February, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

There’s minty, citrusy, pine-and-eucalyptusy bairns crowded around the ample skirts of mama nutmeg at the start of 1828. Thus this dusty spice takes on a greenish, tangy aspect.
    Things change in the mid-section, the nutmeg receding somewhat, taking on a creamy, almost coconutty aspect, and the pine coming through more, giving a brisker, cologne-like feel. The deep drydown is an even, thoroughly blended mix of the cool, the lightly spicy and the lightly woodsy, a thing of some delicacy which performs best when one does not pay it too much attention. Pleasurable even if not quite exciting.

10th February, 2014

Marais's avatar

A rich, smooth melange of citrus and nutmeg, with a pine tree or two lurking in the distant background. Very warm, enveloping and comfortable, with no harsh or chemical notes to ruin the reverie. More serious than frivolous, I imagine it suiting a teacher, lawyer or suchlike. An easy wear; if you are looking for an unusual niche fragrance, look elsewhere. With 5 sprays, it lasts all day, although it wears quite close to the skin. Perhaps more appropriate to cooler weather.

27 March, 2013

lucasai's avatar

Poland Poland

the day to take an analysis of Histoires de Parfums 1828. This eau de parfum is inspired by Jules Verne who was a known French writer, playwriter, social activist, pioneer of a sciencie-fiction writing.

1828 starts with an elegant touch of citruses. It's fresh, juicy and light - just like fruit slices floating on the pure, water surface. Very gentle, charming with a power to make you smile. As the time flows, the composition begins to become a little bit warmer. Citruses make place for some pepper and nice, dry nutmeg accord that has an exquisite taste. Somewhere in the backround a vetiver whispers a calm melody, letting everyone know of it's presence in this composition. But after citruses pine tree is the mail element of this olfactory puzzle. My nose almost took a detour from other nose and went straight from citruses to pine tree. And it smells great! Having a long walk in a pine forrest on a mid-warm, windy day would be a good comparison in my opinion. This pine phase is clear, calming. It gets woody-ier when some cedar joins the composition. There also should be incense, which is listed in the notes, but it's undetectable. Probably gone somewhere between the pine cones. The whole concept for this perfume is rather charming.

Histoires de Parfums 1828 Jules Verne though is the weekest one from it's family. It really doesn't last that long like it's brothers and sisters. After about 5 hours the fragrance was completely gone. But for the time when it accompanies you - it is perfectly enjoyable. This is also the safest perfume from HdP line I tested so far. I think it would be a very appropriate fragrance for work, formal dinner or whatever. It's elegant, subtle but also sophisticated. Potential wearers will surely find this eau de parfum a good companion.

09 May, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

This starts with citrus notes then a very dry pine note appears very soon after which is joined by a blast of cool soothing eucalyptus. As time goes by I'm picking up a mixture of the pine and grapefruit notes with eucalyptus in the background.

The menthol aspect and pine together with woods coming into play with incense make
    this fragrance interesting.

Though to be honest these fragrance accords are not to my taste though this would be worth sampling if you like these notes in a scent. Again everything is so well
    blended and the ingredients are top notch.

So to sum up a dry pine menthol fragrance with incense and woods which smells good and different from a lot of fragrances on the shelves. I got about six to seven
    hours with this one.

18 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Reading some previous reviews i crosscheck in those comments several common elements i noticed at the end of the olfactory trip of this scent. Is like all the initial cool, aromatic, almost balsamic potential temperament of the fragrance fades in to a more "disappointing" ambery and musky-benzoin outcome that exudes a sort of almost oily and artificial green banana-tobacco effect that i can detect while inhaling fragrances as Askew Humiecki & Graef and Gucci Envy (as well as my friend Alfarom underlines). I smell a sort of fluidy suede of musky benzoin and amber that is deprived of its original woodsy soul of birch, pine, mint, prickly spices and eucalyptus. The first stage is infact an invigorating blast of green-aromatic elements, pungent spices, grapefruit and citrus (mostly orange). In this phase the smell is natural, indented and multifaceted with a sort of aromatic and incensey vibe that is a pleasure to be inhaled. As well as the fragrance morphs in to a smoother ambery base the aromatic power fades, the spices turn out with tobacco nuances, the smell is musky, fat and oily with a green, spicy ad orangy undertone. I catch hints of not listed ginger in the air. The note of vetiver is not rooty or botanic, the atlas cedar is characterless while the woods and the incense are faint. The outcome is anyway good and appealing but not for the initially misleaded lovers of the aromatic exhalations from the forest.

13 January, 2012

alfarom's avatar

OK you can call me names but, to me, 1828 is not so distant from Gucci Envy for Men.

It opens with citruses and eucalyptus immediately joined by incense. Frankincense perfectly blends with the aromatic grapefruit note adding depth and consistency to the fragrance. This accord is definitely successful and so well executed that I was ready to declare 1828 as one of my favourite compositions from this house. Elegant, masculine, fresh but not dull, with a remarkable presence but not loud...a fantastic everyday's fragrance...but...

...but disappointment was waiting for me just right behind the corner. The eucalyptus note evaporates in couple of minutes and you can say goodbye to the "balsamic" effect. Same is for the aromatic grapefruit leaving 1828 in a sort of generic territory made of vetiver, spices and woods (mainly cedar) that's really too similar to Gucci Envy For Men. Overall I can't say that 1828 is unsuccessful but after the outstanding opening I definitely expected something more.

That saidt, if you're not familiar with Gucci Envy For Men and you are ready for a challenging price tag, you could enjoy 1828. Personally I stick with the Gucci.

10th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2012)

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

I see that with a very few exceptions, even the positive reviews of 1828 (Jules Verne) are less than wholly enthusiastic. Well, I beg to differ. I find this fragrance enthralling. I have explored a full sample set from Histoire De Parfum. Now; I am no technical expert but I feel confident in saying that the materials and the structure of these fragrances must be amongst the best that I have experienced.

I spent the day with Jules Verne today. The opening is..... I have to say it, very masculine. Virile, bracing and fresh. Top notes are citrus and eucalyptus. Then; I agree with those respected reviewers who have stated this previously, it becomes oddly elusive for a time. It really does. BUT, the best is yet to come. Other reviewers comment on the development of pepper and spice and others lament the lack of pine, but for me, after a while 1828 releases the most wonderful accord of pine and vetiver. Every so often I thought that I did catch a wisp of eucalyptus in the middle too. But it is the pine/vetiver which I find gorgeous and this stage lasts and lasts. Histoires De Parfum tell us that the pine note is Pine Cone. Would this perhaps differ from resinous pine?

They also tell us that this Aromatic Hesperide should suggest marine breeze and heath. Well, it is fresh, yes, outdoorsy, yes, and it is cool, very cool, but do not expect ozone. This is way, way further inland. In fact I cant help but think that this is very Northern European. This is a highlander or a viking after washing in a cold river and rolling in the forrest floor. Oh behave now!! But I am sure you get the gist!!

And there is more! Eventually some lovely calm cedar comes through then finally we are left with amber, the amber that is a theme through several of the fragrances in this line.

10th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2012)

michailG's avatar

I tested 1828 very briefly at a little boutique in Soho, NYC. I couldn’t make up my mind: I thought that it was very special (a bit Comme des Garcons but not quite) but still I wasn’t sure about the dry down. I didn’t get the chance to go back to that boutique again and at the big department stores they had never heard of Histoires de Parfums. After returning home I got my own sample of 1828 which I am wearing right now… and I feel like I am bewitched by it. Incense yes there is; but it is the tartness of hesperides that I think is superb. It is that tartness that compensates the lack of dryness I always look for in citrusy fragrances. 1828 is not dry but it is bitter on my skin and I love it. Its longevity may not be a killer but it doesn’t disappoint me either. Overall this is a thumbs up for me!

14 July, 2010

Kaern's avatar

1828 starts with a lovely citrus overlaid with eucalyptus, then moves into black pepper territory with a vetiver/incense base. There is also a glorious muted spice in here which I can't identify - cardamom? A wonderfully constructed scent which uses natural materials and is from a fine range.

04 March, 2010

epicurean's avatar

A veritable tobacco-box of spices, rich and luxurious, with a touch of eucalyptus which however always comes across as mint to me. Whatever that top note is, it adds enough freshness to keep 1828 from getting too weighed down. This one really generates the compliments.

03 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

1828 opens green and minty, a little astringent even. Lurking behind the eucalyptus and mint are the citrus notes. It's funny how the entire top ensemble produces a ginger-like accord, so why didn't they just use 'ginger'? Perhaps they could but wouldn't, not when this scent draws inspiration from an explorer as renowned as Jules Verne. Fruits, spices, resins, woods, animalics are all represented here in a symbolic nod to the myriad landscapes discovered. As much as I love the vibrantly fresh greenery, I find myself in agreement with odysseusm - the pine and cedar notes are so lacking in weight they leave 1828 looking lean when it could have been fuller bodied. Still it is a classy and unique take on the fresh genre.

28 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)

Arpeggiator's avatar

Germany Germany

Reading the (top) notes of 1828 I expected a fresh summer scent. On the test strip it works by and large.
    The fruity top notes are there, but as well as a heavy, annoying, almost ambery note. I noticed this tang in
    Un Parfum des Sens et Bois for the first time. I'm not sure what it is, because both
    fragrances hardly have any ingredient in common. But it's off-putting for me. All the more when I applied 1828 to the
    skin: The freshness is blown away. Normally, vetiver-cedar-incense are ingredients I greatly appreciate, but here
    they doesn't work well together. It might be the combination with clove, which give them a heavy sweetness.
    I recommend to apply 1828 not on a really hot summer day like I did.
    (3/10)

04 August, 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar

It's interesting... I developed all my impressions of this fragrance before looking at the note list, so what I read definitely conflicts with what I smell. I'd describe this fragrance as a rounded, creamy vetiver, cedar and pine. All this about eucalyptus, cloves and citrus is vaguely baffling, but maybe I don't have the most educated nose...

This fragrance goes on very fresh, green and slightly bitter, but quickly changes into a mellow, woody vetiver surrounded by the green, coniferous notes of cedar and pine. In the base the cedar begins to dominate, but not uncomfortably so - this is Atlas cedar, not the pencil-wood Virginia cedar note. It occupies an olfactory space somewhere between CdG Vettiveru and Diptyque's Tam Dao.

The sillage is good and the longevity is about average.

I quite like this, despite it being from a genre I don't usually get along with.

03 April, 2009

jenson's avatar

India India

accords are so darn familiar. it made me snap my fingers endlessly to a jazz number. the closest reference however, is french lover by Malle (or niche version of Quorom silver). lovely, dense accord of green notes (not as juicy as French lover). vetiver & cedre with the right mix of resinous incense adds to the overall beauty from mids to base. An interesting green scent which is quite easy and mesmerising to wear. i'd give it a neutral coz it doesnt seem original..there are similar (better) scents out there...however, if i had the extra money, i wouldnt hesitate to buy this one

07 March, 2009

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

I failed to enjoy both "Casanova" and this perfume from the HdP brand. They seemed nice enough in the top but the base of both was uncomfortably cloying and in fact headache-inducing even on light application. Thus they conveyed a sense of history indeed - as stuffy, stultifying bunk. Perhaps Henry Ford was the nose. I enjoyed the topnotes of 1828, though I find there are more interesting greens, but it's all academic anyway. I gave Casanova to my father-in-law who wears it well and sold off my Jules Verne. He had no future in my wardrobe.

23 February, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Most fragrances that I would label as fresh, I would unfortunately characterize as generic, synthetic and ultimately boring. Not so with 1828. 1828 is fresh, but I would also describe it as natural, sophisticated and unique. Early mint and eucalyptus dominate and one senses their presence throughout the development. The mint is nicely done; always felt, but not overbearing. Pepper and pine emerge in a subtle manner and in the base a touch of amber. I even received a nice compliment wearing 1828! Definitely worthy of consideration for those looking for a refreshing scent that has class.

25 November, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

Fragrance notes
    Top: grapefruit, Italian lemon, mandarin orange, Brazilian lime, mint, eucalyptus
    Mid: clove, nutmeg, black pepper
    Base: Atlas cedar, patchouli, Siberian pine, vetiver, incense, amber, white musk
    I wanted to try 1828 when I read the ingredient list, which I think sounds marvelous! Having tried it, I’d say that this is a good but not great scent. I feel it doesn’t live up to its woody/pine potential. The opening is very good: it is green, aromatic, refreshing. The citrus blends well with the mint and eucalyptus, and the latter is refined and not like Vicks. The middle is an adequate expression of peppery spice. There is very little pine or wood, which I find disappointing given that the ingredients are ‘named’ (e.g., Atlas cedar, Siberian pine). Instead of interesting woods the base quickly becomes a patchouli-amber blend that at times reminds me of coconut. The wood could be woodier, the vetiver and incense could have much more character. The base gets more ambery for a while and then finally and pleasantly settles down. Don’t over-apply 1828 based on its light top notes, you’ll regret it! This is an OK scent, I like it but am not raving about it. Histoires de Parfums has a line of scents named after the birth years of French authors. 1828 refers to the year Jules Verne was born. Other masculine fragrances are 1725 (Casanova) and 1740 (Marquis de Sade!).

05 April, 2008