Reviews of Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

Find out more about Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Soapy, bright, balsamic amber. More resinous, sweet and soothing comparing to other amber fragrances, less rich and exotic. Not among the best ones, but still pretty good. Beautiful dark drydown, despite being quite much subtle.

7/10.

13 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

I picked up a dirt-cheap travel-size bottle of Ambre 114 when a local store stopped carrying Histoire de Parfums last year and sold them off at a huge discount. It was a random choice, but it really paid off, because it's become one of my favorite scents.

It kicks off like a classic powdery old-fashioned amber perfume, but very quickly gets overtaken by a fantastic smoky sandalwood. If you can imagine the legendary Santal Noble with amber in the background and a puff of Iso E Super smoke to modernize it, that's pretty close to what Ambre 114 smells like on me, but I don't think that description makes it sound as great as it actually smells. To be frank, the benzoin in the amber gives it a slightly powdery vibe which may scare away newbies, but a whiff of this under a sweater on a cold day is pure bliss.

Oh, and it's got perfect luxury concentration and lasts forever because it's mostly basenotes. 5 stars all the way.

09 January, 2014

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Really like this one. Amber done right. Has that vanilla flavoring vibe in it (not too much though). It is not cloying at all, and is wearabe for any occassion IMO. If you enjoy vanilla or gourmands, you should like this one. I will be purchasing a bottle of this one.

07 November, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

Definite Gourmand Vanilla and Amber

This is a great combination of rich sweet vanilla/tonka and sharp amber and nutmeg. the soft sweet is balanced perfectly with the sharpness of nutmeg and amber.

19 July, 2013

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Now this is a gourmand

This is a true gourmand IMO. The amber and vanilla mixed with the nutmeg was an excellent idea. The spices are smoothly added to balance all the notes out. If you are an amber and vanilla person, this is for you. Will be getting a bottle of this.

Pros: Smooth vanilla
    Cons: None

16 May, 2013

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Ambre 114 is a pretty linear scent to my nose, at least (in this case that is just fine). It opens with a good deal of nutmeg spice mixed with the initial amber that immediately makes its presence well known. This amber is only mildly sweet (thank goodness), and is not cloying in the least. The spiced amber adds sandalwood to its repertoire in the heart notes before including a nice dose of semi-sweet vanilla and tonka bean in the base notes. These notes are extremely well-blended, and distinguishing individual notes is difficult due to the high level of sophistication and refinement Ambre 114 brings to the plate. Ambre 114's projection is average to slightly below average, with average longevity.

It is well documented that I abhor super-sweet amber scents (a "good" example of this is Ambrarem, a much more expensive scent from the same house), so it was a pleasant surprise that Ambre 114 joins Mona di Orio's Ambre as being two of the least sweet, but most appealing amber scents I have smelled to date. I think I have a slight preference for the Mona di Orio, but it is a near toss-up and they are both incredible scents that are highly recommended. Ambre 114 gets a very strong 4.5 stars out of 5 from me. Superb, and full bottle worthy for certain!

17 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2012)

Andyjreid's avatar
    Andyjreid
    Scotland Scotland

Well I've only had my Bottle of Ambre 114 for about a week and man what a fragrance.

I knew what I was getting myself into with it when I had been trying it from a sample but I had no idea what it would become.

Nothing else I have worn, ever, has had that many comments (note comments not compliments). People in work have actually stopped when walking past me to ask what it is that I'm wearing and how different/strange it smells. Someone said it smelt medicinal but had a lovely warm smell to it and someone else just badgered me for 10 minutes with the "what are you wearing?" line.

I mean it's nice to get attention and all but this fragrance is just so much more to me. It is certainly in holy grail territory but from a frag/fume-head point of view. I have never smelt anything in my life that keeps giving the way Ambre 114 does. Every time I have worn it, I get something different. Obviously there is quite an oriental kick to it and it can sometimes overpower just after application but even though it has an opulent almost "thick" smell it always stays light on the skin. You get florals through it, and once, only once, I got a fabulous birch tar note for about an hour after wearing it for about 5 hours.

You can get a clear 15+ hours out of this and wearing it is like reading a story or going on a journey.

My only concern about it is................ can it be too nice to wear every day?

Wow

03 April, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums - A rather different accord greets one initially. A somewhat piquant and savory thyme commingles with the cinnamon-like nutmeg, fostering an atypical, sweetly herbaceous slant. A nascent amber draws the curious blend to its heart. Here, the amber comes into full bloom, with its earthy sweetness, noticeably tempered by an ample geranium, with its forceful greenness and faintly sour undertone. Glimpses of a minty patchouli as well as the clumped, field-grass aspect of vetiver also present. A creamy, balsamic, and faintly spicy, woods accord can also be discerned. And, a lovely, cabernet-like rose makes an appearance. Transitioning to the base, the resinous amber is lifted by a warm, vanillic tonka bean. Labdanum couples with vanilla and benzoin to create a wonderful, ambergris illusion. A clean musk adds to the delightful experience. An enchanting drydown ensues. Admittedly, this is a beautiful, sweetish scent, with average projection and longevity. However, its composition is somewhat banal, hence, my unenthusiastic "Thumbs Up" rating.

18 March, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Ahhhh man this is gorgeous! A sandalwood and a beautiful creamy light sweet Amber with a touch of vanille is what I'm getting from this. I am now picking up a rose note within this beautiful mix.

This scent is just enchanting and really divine to your olfactory senses. And it never overpowers or gets sickly sweet but just sits right on the skin giving you that perfect satisfaction

I have to say this is the best ever ambre fragrance that I have ever smelled. The way the dry sandalwood mixes in with the amber and that touch of vanille is a work of genious. And the way the creator has managed to get that floral aspect too it with the rose is amazing. Full bottle worthy without any hesitation.

To sum up a gorgeous stunning creamy sandalwood amber fragrance which stands tall over most amber based fragrances.

18 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2012)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Amber is a dangerous territory where sweetness can easily become overwhelming turning a fragrance into an unbrearable heaviness. The big point of strength of Amber 114 is its extremely balanced blend of spices/herbs and resionus notes (mainly benzoin) joined by woods and rose that make of this composition quite an easy wear in which sweetness is carefully tamed and dosed to become a side aspect.

Overall I'd say that while Ambre 114 can be considered as one of the most complex and deep ambers around, at the same time it is outstanding for its incredible wearability and "lightness".

These things don't happen by accident. Amazing Stuff!

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

iodine's avatar
    iodine

What lead me buying Ambre 114 was a severe and potentially dangerous detour from my perfume- purchasing- habits: I just gave it a quick sniff, found it quite pleasant and decided that it would have represented the third member of the beautiful 15 ml vials coffret, along with 1804 and Vert Pivoine, which I had tested more accurately on my skin.
    It turned out to be the only one of the three that I like and could wear!
    It opens with strong and pungent aromatic notes: I can identify most clearly thyme and freshly grated nutmeg, that sublime the bracing greeness of geranium. These notes, curiosly, have a great tenacity on clothes, so they last almost all day and keep reminding the beginning while the fragrance evolves on skin, creating a charming effect.
    Then the woods- I couldn’t say exactly what wood, I seem unable to recognize patchouli or sandalwood in mix- give strenght and support, while ambery notes give a special glow to a most delightful and balanced vanilla, conjuring up a powdery candied sugar, marron glacèe-like fragrance, not a bit sticky or overly sweet, that would stay on my skin for hours.
    Ambre 114 is a nice fragrance for a winter day, as it gives comfort and pleasure on wool-warmed skin.

15 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 February, 2011)

michailG's avatar
    michailG

Amber 114 is a peculiar one for me. Its opening is a cheerful blast then it quickly mellows ... because of the sweetness of vanilla? But it is not only sweetness that I sense because there is also the freshness and sharpness of woods. I cannot say I am a lover of amber per se; however, Amber 114 is a well made albeit not maybe an innovative composition. Now, why did I start saying that this is a peculiar perfume… I read that nowadays the use of ambergris is replaced by synthetics in perfumery, and that the original substance, fresh, had presumably a … faecal odour. Well Histoires de Parfums has managed to recreate, to my nose at least, some of that odour so subtly blended that could very easily be taken as earthy pungency. I guess that this is what occidentals have attached to and associated with oriental exoticism in too strong, sensual, almost “dirty” perfumes. The dry down of Amber 114 is sweet and olfactory (the musk might also have a role in this) but maybe because of its earthiness, woodiness and subtle sourness it is also fascinating. If you ever come across Amber 114 give it a cautious go… and good luck.

23 July, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Patchouli and amber. I really got the head shop thing in the beginning here. Oh hey how's it going Mr. Patchouli? So how's the family? I see you brought your spicy kids with you.... ah! Thank you very much for coming late to the party Ms. Amber. By the way, you smell sweet, rich and divine. Now let's get all of you together for a group picture! *click*

05 December, 2009

Elf's avatar
    Elf

This is everything I wanted Prada's Eau d'Ambree to be. It's a light, not overly sweet, charming, quirky amber. Definitely unisex, the herbal notes and geranium add a piquancy to the traditional amber. Really a lovely find!

26 November, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

At first whiff, I thought I had sampled from the wrong vial and had spritzed on some Imperial Opoponax by mistake. The opening sweetness certainly has a similar vibrancy to the Les Nereides; apparently these two share more than a few base notes. But AMBRE 114 has the greater depth, with swiftly unraveling fine notes of rose and woods wafting in and out of the amber with such subtlety you're likely to miss them. And perhaps that's why earlier references to 'herbal' escape me as I find this to be sweet from top to bottom. A top ranking high quality amber scent in my books.

28 October, 2009

bentan's avatar
    bentan
    Singapore Singapore

Impressive amber I must say for an amber scent that is not overly sweet, cloying and intoxicating.

The first time I wore it, the instant remarks from my brother was "Goodness, you smell so old". Not that it bothered me.

Ambre 114 was a warm woody scent and it's opening notes does an excellent job to provide a preview of what to expect. The thyme and nutmeg does not shy away in lending a herbaceous edge to the fragrance. In fact, I thought that the bitterness of the thyme and nutmeg very much prevented this fragrance from becoming the typical cloying amber associated with mystical gypsy caravans and ancient harems. The very enjoyable headiness continues well into an hour before the geranium starts to gently appear.

I am impressed that this is a very well balanced scent, with no one single element fighting for attention. It comes across with a cohesive milkiness and ever so slight caramel that totally reverses any preconceptions of what an amber fragrance should be like.

It's longevity is definitely an issue but the drydown of vanilla and ambergis... is perfectly enjoyable, even the warm humidity here. That said, because it is so straightforward since the beginning, and a fairly common basenote composition, it isn't the most exciting fragrance in a collection. I would be curious as to what will happen if HdP had amber featured throughout the fragrance's lifespan as they usually would with some of their offerings.

15 August, 2009

Sybarite's avatar
    Sybarite

This wonderful scent is so named because apparently 114 different compounds go into the mixing of this amazing concoction. The first impression as it first hits your nostrils is that of sweetness, but that somehow dissipates within minutes and settles into a much less sweeter fragrance than it first appears. I agree with "surreality's" post as to the fact that the scent is so well blended that it's hard to identify different notes, however not unless you are sensitive to geranium. Fifteen minutes in and the geranium note takes over and to my nose stays, mixed with the lovely ambery goodness, right till the drydown where the vanilla then takes over. It is definitely quite a different amber to the many amber fragrances out there and this I put down to that (unusual) addition of the strong geranium. So if you don't like geranium, steer clear! Otherwise, this is definitely one of my favourite ambers for its uniqueness.

14 January, 2009

surreality's avatar
    surreality

Ambre 114 is powerful and complex, but subtle and refined perfume. It envelops the wearer in a close-fitting cloud of ambery goodness, that is always in front of the nose. The herbal top notes dampen the sweetness of the amber, making this a very wearable fragrance that never gets cloying, even in warmer weather. Apart from the top notes that last for the first hour and the musk base that becomes most evident after about 8 hours it is really hard to identify individual notes; which shows just how well balanced this fragrance is. Longevity is excellent; I applied two sprays over 15 hours ago and it is still going strong. This projects off the skin nicely, (hence the closefitting cloud of ambery goodness comment) but it isn't a sillage monster. In short, Ambre 114 is a gorgeous fragrance, one that any amber lover (and those that don't think that they like amber fragrances) should try at least once.

27 September, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

In two words I would call it ‘herbal amber’. Interesting scent in that while most ambers I have tried are fairly sweet, in Ambre 114 (as it is now called) the sweetness is very subdued. Herbal elements, particularly thyme and nutmeg, work with the amber and tone down any sweetness to it. This makes for an interesting accord. In the base, one gets mild sweetness as vanilla becomes detectable, but it is still less than most all amber fragrances I have tried to date. I do not see myself buying this one, but it is definitely worthy of consideration.

20th September, 2008

foetidus

Top notes: thyme, nutmeg;
    Middle notes: amber, rose, patchouli, sandalwood, cedar, vetiver and geranium;
    Base notes: ambergris, vanilla, musk, tonka beans, and benzoin.

This is not your sweet, sweet amber. The top is herbal and spicy with its thyme and nutmeg: Normally I do not think of these particular notes as belonging together, let alone in combination with amber… but the accord does work beautifully. Histoire de Parfums’ Ambree could be considered an amber fragrance for those who don’t care for amber because the dry softness of this version of amber, along with the spice / herbs, downplay the abundant sweetness that is usually connect to amber. Even with the ambergris, vanilla, tonka, and benzoin of the base, the fragrance avoids the heady sweetness often attributed to amber. This is a very enjoyable and wearable unisex fragrance. It doesn’t have a strong sillage and its lifespan is a bit short, but it’s thumbs up all the way…

23 August, 2008