Reviews of Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Find out more about Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

tempest moon's avatar

Dry Aromatic Tobacco Leaves...

What I really love about this one, is that it takes you back to the days when fragrances were good! You know, when you smelt something and it had bite and character, the aromatic fougères and masculines of the past. This is a dark, dry, smoker's scent. I get tobacco leaves being rolled into Cuban cigars... chilli and patchoulli and pine needles, sage and other herbs, underlined with a grassy, dry tonka bean. Almost like tonka flavoured tobacco leaves made for a fine quality cigar.

I also get cloves and hot spices mixed with dry herbs. It's very aromatic, and perfect for colder weather, a great individual scent for a strong personality type. Very distinctive. It's good, it reminds me of older stuff, Old Spice etc. But it has great character and great for smokers and non-smokers alike. Well done Lyn Harris!

07th August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac’s top notes of sharp citrus and anise segue rapidly to a realistically rendered moist pipe tobacco and dark liqueur accord that’s backed up by sweetened woods. It’s a simple and appealing accord, though unfortunately short-lived. Within a half an hour it gives way to a very conventional powdery wood and sweet amber drydown. The last episode is an anticlimax, and I really wish that the tobacco would persist for a few hours. If it did, I’d consider this a great scent, but as it is I find it disappointing.

13th June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening is pleasant, a bit ordinary perhaps, but masculine and contemporary: vetiver, tobacco and spices (cloves) on an amber-incense base, quite dense but fresh and aerial at the same time. Stuffed with Iso E and ambrox, but good – I like these materials so I do not mind "spotting" them, especially if they are blended with other materials to create a contemporary take on classic themes – this time, the "fougère" structure. As minutes pass it gets more and more drier, the tobacco note emerges better and more bitter, more raw and humid, and for a while I must say it is quite cool. Sadly the expectations are partially frustrated, as it then evolves in a rather inoffensive, safe drydown, surely pleasant and elegant but a bit dull – a "crowdpleaser", in short. Nice and cozy like that pair of understated sneakers you'd wear to walk the dog after dinner, worth a bargain if you happen to find it discounted. Longevity is delicate, but persistent.

6,5/10

08th May, 2014

wormstir's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac is a pleasant masculine scent containing a lot of warm rounded spice that is perfect for autumn days.

It goes on with a whole heapful of spiky black pepper, stays peppery for about an hour, then becomes a sort of warmer blend of pepper, tobacco and clove/nutmeg spices, the rounder nutmeg/clove type spice smell remains for a few hours and finally a very nice light incense/patchouli base note remains for the rest of the day. I don't care much for all the upfront pepper, which reminds me of the Molton Brown pepper body wash. Projection is quite weak, but longevity is ok, it does keep returning throughout the day. Overall a pleasant, soft comforting scent but ultimately it is too safe for me to want to keep my bottle, especially as it is not cheap...

Pros: A smell that most would like
    Cons: projection could be better. A bit safe"</p>

08th August, 2013 (Last Edited: 02nd September, 2014)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

The aromatic tobacco leaf note is transient at best. On my skin FEUILLES DE TABAC is cooling, airy and refreshingly green if a little soapy. It truly felt like I just stepped out of the shower. Gorgeous, wonderful stuff which should come in gallon-sized bottles!

13th May, 2013

AlHamr's avatar

Strange. I don't find this weak or un-tobaccoey as recent reviewers have commented. This to me is definitely a tobacco fume. But way, way too sweet. There's powder and some cloves but overall this sweet leaf tobacco that just cloys the back of my throat out. THis also seems very strong to me - to the point I just couldn't understand how anyone could wear something like this.

An olfactory cliche which was better done by Old Spice. In fact, can anyone point me out the difference between these two?

13th November, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th November, 2012)

JackTwist's avatar

Very light mix of tobacco and spice (clove primarily) with a citrus opening. The scent does not last very long at all.

Fine for a morning splash but most definitely gone by the time you reach the office.

Not a "serious" scent, nor one for tobacco lovers as the note fades quickly. As above, it is just "nice," nothing more.

17th September, 2012

Elzéard's avatar

Fresh spicy tobacco leaves, although quite a restrained collaboration.

22nd August, 2012

odysseusm's avatar

Top: Cuban cascarilla oil, pimento berries
    Mid: pine needles, sage
    Base: tonka bean, tobacco, Malay patchouli

The cascarill oil contributes a rich, fragrant, slightly sweet woody-musky note to the opening. There is some peppery spice, and perhaps a cooling freshness from the pine.
    This is a rich scent, round, smooth; yet also cool and open. The dusky sage gives bit of a herbal aspect. Although rich, this is not too sweet. The tonka gives the hay-coumarin note in the dry-down. I don't find much tobacco leaf here -- that's OK, I don't really care for the note.

06th August, 2012

manicboy's avatar

Dusty tobacco/cinnamon frag similar to Very Valentino and Aramis Havana. Too dry for my tastes and doesn't evolve enough. Not enough tobacco either. I'm glad I did not buy this as it's exorbitantly overpriced. Get Dreamer or vintage Dolce PH if you crave a nice tobacco scent.

03rd July, 2012

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

My impression is the combination of aiona's and alfarom's reviews. This is a very nice fragrance but as far as I'm concerned what it does best is showcasing how good the fragrances of the past are, even now.

I'd pick montana parfum d'homme over this. With the price difference it's an even easier decision, but it's a nice fragrance nevertheless.

02nd January, 2012

shamu1's avatar

I like this, but not as a tobacco fragrance. This smells like a cedar fragrance primarily, and one which focuses on the coniferous aspects of the cedar tree (i.e., the needles). I like that.

The tobacco is only prominent for the first few minutes, when you get a blast of very sweet, wet-smelling tobacco. Very quickly the tobacco smell fades to the background, and the cedar takes over. This is one of the better cedar scents I've tried, mainly because it's more of the smell of pine/cedar needles than the dry smell of cedar wood. In the drydown, the tobacco and cedar balance out a little better, but Feuilles de Tabac remains a wood scent for the most part. It reminds me a lot of Agua Brava in that respect.

Don't buy this blindly if you're looking for a hardcore tobacco fragrance, because this isn't it and you'll be disappointed. Fans of woody scents, however, should check it out.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

21st October, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Edit 2013:

I completely fell for this stuff. No, it's not the most original fragrance around but it wears incredibly good. A classic masculine which is extremely well blended. If you need something solid, with no particular twist, versatile but at the same time classy, go for it. Somewhere bewteen Aramis and vintage Equipage. Good stuff.

Original Review:

Feuilles De Tabac is one of those fragrances that while they definitely smell good they're also not particularly outstanding or even inspiring/evocative to do a review.

A nice citrus/spicy opening evolving into a green tobacco leafs middlephase that's pretty enjoyable and well executed yet not particularly fascinating. Hints of coniferous and a sweet ambery/tonka beans base is all I get in the drydown. Overall Feuilles De Tabac could be much better if just a little more daring but considering its conventional evolution it ends up being just nice. Good but not full bottle worthy.

23rd July, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th April, 2013)

chet31's avatar

Yet another "tobacco" fragrance that does not, to me, smell anything like tobacco. Pine needles are what jumps out at me in the topnotes, I get a hint of tobacco in the midnotes, and it dries down to something pleasant and vaguely perfumy. A fragrance that will get you noticed, but not my cup of tea.

21st June, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Interesting chord of aromatic boise elements, tobacco, patchouli and tonka with a spicy masculine temperament and a certain level of coolness emerging from the final woody warmth. This is not dense or viscous but airy, clean and charismatic with a touch of vintage appeal and the dust of cloves and pepper. The first part of the development is cool and a bit rough because of interaction of citrus, spices, woodsy pine needles, sage and oakmoss. In this phase i perceive a certain level of bitterness from citrus and smoke coming from background. The dry down morphs in to something more sweet and sort of talky with such spicy nuances of rum and mild amber. In this final part the tobacco is less perceivable in the mildness although still present. A must try for the lovers of tobacco based fragrances. The longevity is not the best on the market.

07th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2014)

Everlasting Pea's avatar

My impression: It's like stumbling into an old smoky out-of-the way bar on the wrong side of town on the Florida coast. It's real blues and caramel colored bourbon, straight up in a whisky stained coffee cup. There's an unexpected whiff of espresso brewing in the back. Shadowy figures sway to a voice like rough honey. It's the music of Ebor City. Someone lights up a Cuban, its sweet mild smoke mixes with the salty air from the gulf on some warm summer night on the wrong side of town.

04th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th May, 2011)

Aiona's avatar

Oh my! I love this scent! The opening was kinda earthy. My first thought was, "leaves!" My next thought was "basil leaves!" Kinda spicey opening, yummy! I do not see basil in its notes, though.

Then maybe an hour later, I sniffed my wrist again. (Sillage wasn't great on me.) Huh? I did not put Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box) on today! Nor Aramis Havana, for that matter! How odd!

It's that same sweet compelling smell I get from my two favorites. Is it the tobacco? The tonka bean? The Cuban cascarilla oil? (What the heck does that smell like anyway?) Or the pimento berries?

Dunno. But, I love this scent, in the same way I love MPdH (red box) and Havana. Sillage is not as powerful as Montana (red box) or Havana. Longevity is not bad. It's 6 hours later, and I still smell its drydown.

Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box): my favorite scent + pine
    Havana: my favorite scent + intensely oily opening
    Feuille de Tabac: my favorite scent + a bit of basil in the opening

YUMMY!

12th March, 2011

cheryl's avatar

I don't have a reference tobacco fragrance to compare this too, but alas, it does not work any magic on my skin. It seems to be a marriage of odd soapy fresh notes to tobacco on a base of vanilla-ambery spice. There is a bit of a conflict with the soft comfort of the base and everything else that calls for attention. The odd soapy bit just sort of sticks in my throat.

17th January, 2011

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar

Philippine Philippine

the best tobacco fragrance i have come across. very natural smelling too.

20th August, 2010

TaoLady's avatar

My responses to this EXcellent frag are much like Ayala's - and I couldn't say it as well. I LUVLUVLUV tobacco - this one comes down hard at the end of brisk and spicy (as opposed to soft and hay-ey) like rolling a Gitane between your fingers. On me it gets woodsy in the middle and settles into an almost vanillic sweetness with that damp sand that someone mentioned. TOTALLY thumbs up.

30th April, 2010

Sugandaraja's avatar

The life of this fragrance goes out rather quickly. The opening is a complex, interesting, yet slightly harsh barrage of citrus and spice, leading quickly to a very pleasing cinnamon and rosewood heart with a slight fruit tinge. Then, it's like the fragrance suddenly falls apart, losing all its sillage and becoming a faintly sweet skin-scent reminiscent of soap. It's a slightly baffling little performance, and doesn't do much for me.

02nd February, 2010

jenson's avatar

India India

Running out of Havana/Havana Reserva are you..? Fear not, Feuilles de Tabac is here to save the day. sayin so, FdT is an original..only thing the use of Tobacco..i must say the explicit use and quality of tobacco used in it is exactly the same as the Aramis classic. only thing, it's stripped down of all the other accords Havana R has to offer. this one's a straight ahead, no nonsense blend of florals, tobacco and animalic notes. extremely pleasant and invigorating to wear. cant wait to go stay at some resort in midst of wild life during monsoons...ummmm.. :) gritty/pungent at the same time realistic & wearable.

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2009)

JaimeB's avatar

Cascarilla bark comes from a plant native to the West Indies, Croton eleuteria. Cascarilla bark is (among other things) used to flavor the liquors Campari and Vermouth. Maybe that's why it makes me think of Negronis (minus the gin, of course). But at least part of the magic in Feuilles de Tabac comes from the weird triangle of sage, coumarin, and tobacco leaf. Tonka bean (the coumarin note in this) is usually found in fougères, which this definitely isn't. The patchouli rounding this out into a kind of woody-oriental vibe doesn't make sense either. Even so, all in all, this is one of the best and most novel tobacco scents out there. It deserves to be better known. I don't wear it enough, but that's got to change.

07th August, 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar

An aromatic and compelling take on tobacco. I agree completely with lilybelle's impressions! An interesting and intelligent presentation of unusual notes. Wearable too, I give it two thumbs up!

12th July, 2009

sabrosa's avatar

This is an off and on scent for me. Sometimes is smells absolutely gorgeous, and at other times it smells cheap and give me a headache. Nukapai has done a nice job of explaining the gorgeous side.

10th April, 2009

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I don't remember Cuba being quite this unisex.
    What the Hades is Cascarilla anyway?
    This is a tough one for met to judge. I can see the downside; yes it does smell a bit too "drug store" and yet, on the other hand, the sweet woods are captivating and the sillage is mild and subtle. Bottom line? I feel there are better tobacco scents out on the market, or at least more enjoyable ones.

17th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2009)

Bartlebooth's avatar

One of the more interesting stations on the Miller Harris Line. A very robust fusion of clove and tobacco is sweetened for the opening, which is an astonishing waft-fest. Feuilles de Tabac has the corpse of YSL Kouros buried beneath the floorboards, and periodically I could detect it's aroma creeping through during the drydown. This is a multi-faceted composite of rugged ingredients, that begins to harmonize in the later stages. I will give this a thumbs up for it's strident personality and inducing me to sniff my wrist almost constantly for hours.

02nd March, 2009

Kaern's avatar

This is a lovely sweet tobacco fragrance with a rich drydown, intensified by the amber. I think the sillage is outstanding and the longevity good. I would never wear this in the summer months though -- it just wouldn't work as it is a very 'warm' scent. The new Tom Ford's Tobacco and Vanilla rendition is more gorgeous to wear imo, but comes with a hefty price tag.

15th January, 2009

bbBD's avatar

Fantastic! The strong opening of clove and incense, balanced with a sweet resinous note, grabs you right from the start. This opening lingers for about 30-45 minutes until it dries down to a tobacco and wood mix that lingers for a long time. There are some fragrances that you just like at first sniff, and this one of those for me. It will project strongly during it's first phase, but from then on it will stay moderately close to the skin. Definitely full bottle worthy!

14th October, 2008

Nukapai's avatar

Peppery, leafy, brown opening (sort of matches the packaging when you come to think of it!) - after which there's at least an hour of a very wearable tobacco/woody scent. Later in the drydown, some overly smoky - verging on the sickly sweet notes emerge (my husband, who is not a perfume connoisseur, but has been exposed to rather a lot of scents over the years, remarked: "Now it smells too... Mediterranean"). However, once that little speed bump on the road passes, it becomes very soft, very sniffable and dare I say quite sexy. It's a thumbs up from me.

10th August, 2008