Neutral Reviews of Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Find out more about Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac’s top notes of sharp citrus and anise segue rapidly to a realistically rendered moist pipe tobacco and dark liqueur accord that’s backed up by sweetened woods. It’s a simple and appealing accord, though unfortunately short-lived. Within a half an hour it gives way to a very conventional powdery wood and sweet amber drydown. The last episode is an anticlimax, and I really wish that the tobacco would persist for a few hours. If it did, I’d consider this a great scent, but as it is I find it disappointing.

13 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening is pleasant, a bit ordinary perhaps, but masculine and contemporary: vetiver, tobacco and spices (cloves) on an amber-incense base, quite dense but fresh and aerial at the same time. Stuffed with Iso E and ambrox, but good – I like these materials so I do not mind "spotting" them, especially if they are blended with other materials to create a contemporary take on classic themes – this time, the "fougère" structure. As minutes pass it gets more and more drier, the tobacco note emerges better and more bitter, more raw and humid, and for a while I must say it is quite cool. Sadly the expectations are partially frustrated, as it then evolves in a rather inoffensive, safe drydown, surely pleasant and elegant but a bit dull – a "crowdpleaser", in short. Nice and cozy like that pair of understated sneakers you'd wear to walk the dog after dinner, worth a bargain if you happen to find it discounted. Longevity is delicate, but persistent.

6,5/10

08 May, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

Very light mix of tobacco and spice (clove primarily) with a citrus opening. The scent does not last very long at all.

Fine for a morning splash but most definitely gone by the time you reach the office.

Not a "serious" scent, nor one for tobacco lovers as the note fades quickly. As above, it is just "nice," nothing more.

17 September, 2012

Elzéard's avatar

Fresh spicy tobacco leaves, although quite a restrained collaboration.

22 August, 2012

odysseusm's avatar

Top: Cuban cascarilla oil, pimento berries
    Mid: pine needles, sage
    Base: tonka bean, tobacco, Malay patchouli

The cascarill oil contributes a rich, fragrant, slightly sweet woody-musky note to the opening. There is some peppery spice, and perhaps a cooling freshness from the pine.
    This is a rich scent, round, smooth; yet also cool and open. The dusky sage gives bit of a herbal aspect. Although rich, this is not too sweet. The tonka gives the hay-coumarin note in the dry-down. I don't find much tobacco leaf here -- that's OK, I don't really care for the note.

06 August, 2012

chet31's avatar

Yet another "tobacco" fragrance that does not, to me, smell anything like tobacco. Pine needles are what jumps out at me in the topnotes, I get a hint of tobacco in the midnotes, and it dries down to something pleasant and vaguely perfumy. A fragrance that will get you noticed, but not my cup of tea.

21st June, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Interesting chord of aromatic boise elements, tobacco, patchouli and tonka with a spicy masculine temperament and a certain level of coolness emerging from the final woody warmth. This is not dense or viscous but airy, clean and charismatic with a touch of vintage appeal and the dust of cloves and pepper. The first part of the development is cool and a bit rough because of interaction of citrus, spices, woodsy pine needles, sage and oakmoss. In this phase i perceive a certain level of bitterness from citrus and smoke coming from background. The dry down morphs in to something more sweet and sort of talky with such spicy nuances of rum and mild amber. In this final part the tobacco is less perceivable in the mildness although still present. A must try for the lovers of tobacco based fragrances. The longevity is not the best on the market.

07 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2014)

cheryl's avatar

I don't have a reference tobacco fragrance to compare this too, but alas, it does not work any magic on my skin. It seems to be a marriage of odd soapy fresh notes to tobacco on a base of vanilla-ambery spice. There is a bit of a conflict with the soft comfort of the base and everything else that calls for attention. The odd soapy bit just sort of sticks in my throat.

17 January, 2011

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I don't remember Cuba being quite this unisex.
    What the Hades is Cascarilla anyway?
    This is a tough one for met to judge. I can see the downside; yes it does smell a bit too "drug store" and yet, on the other hand, the sweet woods are captivating and the sillage is mild and subtle. Bottom line? I feel there are better tobacco scents out on the market, or at least more enjoyable ones.

17 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

Aromatic oakmoss and tobacco. Smells like a drug store bought Coty fragrance like Aspen but more peppery and piney. Not bad but not totally terrific. Wear in cool weather.

27 July, 2008

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

When I first received the sample a few weeks ago and tried it, I had to scrub it off. However, I agree with foetidus: this scent has to be tested thoroughly before you can really make up your mind about it. Something compelled me to pull it out again last night. I was surprised at how differently I responded to it this time. I went to sleep smelling my wrists. In the morning the drydown was quite beautiful. I just re-applied and I am really enjoying it as I type this. This is a masculine scent, but I'm just the kind of woman who can pull it off. This is not a scent that I would wear every day, but would save it for those occasions when I want to throw people off a bit...jar their senses a little by wearing a scent that's totally unexpected on a woman. An art opening or a party would be the perfect place.

14 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2008)

teflondog's avatar

Unfortunately, this one didn't agree with me. I didn't get a straight forward tobacco note at all. On my skin it was syrupy and pungent. I guess I was looking for a more dry and smokey scent, but instead I got fresh and damp tobacco leaf. I tried washing it off with no success, so at least I'll give it credit for superb lasting power.

12 January, 2006